Seconds from Disaster

1 view

Des Coughlan

Aug 2, 2001, 11:24:00 AM8/2/01
Taking time out from lurking, just to post this ... a very, very close
shave this afternoon, and every cm of it, pure, undiluted My Fault.

N10 leaving Versailles towards Rambouillet. Coming out of Versailles,
and got stuck behind a lorry. Remember, it had been raining ...

I wait until I can see far enough ahead to know that I have that
blaize-coloured lane separator, and drop to fourth, move out and give
it some throttle (but by no means open to the stop).

As my rear wheel passes onto the separator, it loses traction. The
body of the bike (from the handlebars backwards) swings out to the
right, and the handlebars swing to full right lock.

So at this point, the bike is basically travelling sideways, with no
power getting to the road, and the end of the separator getting closer
and closer by the minute, and a car in the opposite direction, bearing
down on me.

I think to myself, 'This is going to hurt ...'

I roll off the throttle a bit, the bike straightens up, and I aim for
the edge of the separator, to try to get some grip. It works. I keep
her upright, and roll on the throttle a bit, to get past the truck.

Fuck only knows how I managed *not* to touch the brakes ...

A small van that had been behind me, stopped next to me at the next set
of lights, and the driver applauded. 'Did you do that on purpose, mate,
'cos it looked fucking spectacular !'

'Erm, no, I didn't, and if you'll excuse me, I think I have to go and
change my underpants.'

My thoughts at that point were that I had come close to disaster, averted
it (by a) not panicking and b) luck), and was still breathing. Lesson
learned.

Moral ? Those sandy-coloured bits are slippery when wet. I know that,
and in the past, have ridden over them with no problems. Yet today was
the first shower of rain for a long while. That was mistake 1. Too much
throttle ? Perhaps. Mistake 2. Inexperience ? Most likely.

--
Des Coughlan |Restez Zen ... UNIX peut le faire
des...@cybercable.fr |YGL#4 YFC#1 YFB#1 UKRMMA#14 two#38 BONY#48 ANORAK#11

Fr.Jack

Aug 2, 2001, 11:54:07 AM8/2/01
On 2 Aug 2001 15:24:00 GMT, des...@noos.fr (Des Coughlan) divulged
the following information:

> That was mistake 1. Too much throttle ? Perhaps.
> Mistake 2. Inexperience ? Most likely.

Yes.......
If I am forced to ride in the wet - which is extremely rarely - I tend
to ride as if the road was covered in wet ice...with diesel on
top..... veeeeeeery smoothly and rather slower than usual.

Close...too close, eh?

--
Fr. Jack
UKRMSBC#04 | COFF#01 (EFFA)(KoTL)

Phil Parry

Aug 2, 2001, 12:10:38 PM8/2/01

"Des Coughlan" <des...@noos.fr> wrote in message

> Taking time out from lurking, just to post this ... a very, very close
> shave this afternoon, and every cm of it, pure, undiluted My Fault.

<SNIP>

Welcome to the "I nearly topped meself this summer 2001" club. Looking
through this group membership is exceeding expectation...

Glad you got away with it !!

Phil..

Cab

Aug 2, 2001, 12:32:13 PM8/2/01
On 2 Aug 2001 15:24:00 GMT, des...@noos.fr (Des Coughlan) bored the
arse off us by saying:

<possibly snipped>

>Moral ? Those sandy-coloured bits are slippery when wet. I know that,
>and in the past, have ridden over them with no problems. Yet today was
>the first shower of rain for a long while. That was mistake 1. Too much
>throttle ? Perhaps. Mistake 2. Inexperience ? Most likely.

Y'know where the cut and paste button from ICQ is then? ;-)
--
Cab :^)

900Divvy, XJ650, dead 550/4 Rat - TWO#15, UKRMMA#10, IbW#015, OSOS#10
P.S. Remove SPAM from the cab. ICQ: 83023471
Come rain or shine, UKRM makes my day.
The UKRM FAQ: http://www.windfalls.net/ukrm/

PeterT

Aug 2, 2001, 12:27:10 PM8/2/01
"Des Coughlan" <des...@noos.fr> wrote in message
> Taking time out from lurking, just to post this ... a very, very close
> shave this afternoon, and every cm of it, pure, undiluted My Fault.

Irrespective, good to hear you're allright. Except the y-fronts I guess.

--
peter

***************************************
Kraut on a Transalp
BOTAFOT#53 D. Bot (Hons WP)
http://www.ocms.ox.ac.uk/~teriete/
e-mail : krautwit...@ukrm.net
**************************************

Daz

Aug 2, 2001, 1:09:04 PM8/2/01
On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 16:54:07 +0100, Fr.Jack
<fr....@DIESPAMBOLLOXukrm.net> wrote:

<snip>

>If I am forced to ride in the wet - which is extremely rarely - I tend
>to ride as if the road was covered in wet ice...with diesel on
>top..... veeeeeeery smoothly and rather slower than usual.

A.K.A Like a big fucking girlie ;o)

<snip>

--
Daz
Still on a powerful CBR600

Fr.Jack

Aug 2, 2001, 2:01:38 PM8/2/01
On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 18:09:04 +0100, Daz
<lewisd35_...@hotmail.com> divulged the following information:

>A.K.A Like a big fucking girlie ;o)

fukkoffyou!!! ;-PPP

BRC

Aug 2, 2001, 3:15:31 PM8/2/01

Des Coughlan <des...@noos.fr> wrote in message
> Taking time out from lurking, just to post this ... a very, very close
> shave this afternoon, and every cm of it, pure, undiluted My Fault.
>
> N10 leaving Versailles towards Rambouillet. Coming out of Versailles,
> and got stuck behind a lorry. Remember, it had been raining ...

<snip>

That sounds pretty much like the slide I had on the MRO eh Champ....

take care in the wet, 'specially when its been dry for so long.

--
Jen
YZF750R

Champ

Aug 2, 2001, 4:11:12 PM8/2/01
Fr.Jack <fr....@DIESPAMBOLLOXukrm.net> ejaculated :

>If I am forced to ride in the wet - which is extremely rarely - I tend
>to ride as if the road was covered in wet ice...with diesel on
>top..... veeeeeeery smoothly and rather slower than usual.

Repeat after me...

"Twice the fun at half the speed"
--
Champ
Suzuki GSX-R 1000, Kawasaki GPz750turbo

steve auvache

Aug 2, 2001, 3:38:47 PM8/2/01
In article <slrn9mis4e....@lievre.voute.net>, Des Coughlan
<des...@noos.fr> writes

>Moral ?

I try hard not to be but the burds these days just aren't up for it like
they used to be.

--
steve auvache
fusetender@thecow

steve auvache

Aug 2, 2001, 4:55:28 PM8/2/01
In article <ttcjmt8ughj1mp13k...@4ax.com>, Champ
<uk...@champ.org.uk> writes

>Fr.Jack <fr....@DIESPAMBOLLOXukrm.net> ejaculated :
>
>>If I am forced to ride in the wet - which is extremely rarely - I tend
>>to ride as if the road was covered in wet ice...with diesel on
>>top..... veeeeeeery smoothly and rather slower than usual.
>
>Repeat after me...
>
>"Twice the fun at half the speed"

Bloke at work today: I bet you don't like all this rain

Me: Nah, that'll be TTFAHTS mate. PFCTW.

BOW: Boggle.

It just sort of seemed so appropriate at the time, honest.

Simian

Aug 2, 2001, 5:31:30 PM8/2/01
Des Coughlan forgot to take the pills and typed

>Taking time out from lurking, just to post this ... a very, very close
>shave this afternoon, and every cm of it, pure, undiluted My Fault.

Des, it's not lurking if you post more than once a month.

What you are doing - if needs a name - is called 'infrequent posting'.

Daz

Aug 2, 2001, 7:00:48 PM8/2/01
On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 20:15:31 +0100, "BRC"
<j...@SODOFFSPAMMERbikersrest.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

>take care in the wet, 'specially when its been dry for so long.

Agreed. Shame someone didn't tell my fuckwit "friend" in the 306 [1]

BTW are we MRO'ing this weekend?

[1] See my post dooon below somewhere.

darsy

Aug 3, 2001, 4:07:12 AM8/3/01
On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 16:54:07 +0100, Fr.Jack
<fr....@DIESPAMBOLLOXukrm.net> wrote:

>If I am forced to ride in the wet - which is extremely rarely - I tend
>to ride as if the road was covered in wet ice...with diesel on
>top.....

I can only imagine you've never actually ridden on ice. It's not that
easy, but riding on wet roads is a veritable piece of piss.

you fucking gurl.

--
darsy : SZR660|TRX850|CD200|R1150GS (soon, my pretty, soon...)
"The Voice of Reason"

Mike Barnard

Aug 3, 2001, 8:12:44 AM8/3/01
On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 21:55:28 +0100, steve auvache
<little...@thecow.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Bloke at work today: I bet you don't like all this rain
>
>Me: Nah, that'll be TTFAHTS mate. PFCTW.
>
>BOW: Boggle.
>

>It just sort of seemed so appropriate at the time, honest.

FFS! [1]

AATIITFFAQ? [2] (IMRTFAQOD [3]) ITAIMPTOASTOTW. [4]

1. Self explanatory.
2. Are All These Initials In The F****** FAQ?
3. I Must Read The FAQ one Day.
4. If They Are I Must Print Them Out And Stick Them On The Wall.

--
Mike Barnard,
Worthing West Sussex.

Bastard Bear

Aug 3, 2001, 10:35:15 AM8/3/01
darsy wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 16:54:07 +0100, Fr.Jack
> <fr....@DIESPAMBOLLOXukrm.net> wrote:
>
> >If I am forced to ride in the wet - which is extremely rarely - I tend
> >to ride as if the road was covered in wet ice...with diesel on
> >top.....
>
> I can only imagine you've never actually ridden on ice. It's not that
> easy, but riding on wet roads is a veritable piece of piss.
>
> you fucking gurl.

Indeed; this morning, at around 6 o'clock, I got from Watford to the
forest of dean in 1 hour 26 minutes, including a stop for fuel. And all
on pissing wet twisty back roads too ...

I can *finally* ride properly in the wet ... hooray!
--
Bastard Bear
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Bears

Say "bye bye!" to saddo trolls: http://www.nfilter.org

Champ

Aug 3, 2001, 10:57:26 AM8/3/01
Mike Barnard <mi...@thunderin.co.uk> ejaculated :

>On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 21:55:28 +0100, steve auvache
><little...@thecow.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Bloke at work today: I bet you don't like all this rain
>>
>>Me: Nah, that'll be TTFAHTS mate. PFCTW.
>>
>>BOW: Boggle.
>>

>>It just sort of seemed so appropriate at the time, honest.
>
>FFS! [1]
>
>AATIITFFAQ? [2]

No. But if you hadn't snipped the bit of my post that Steve was
replying too, you'd probably easily worked out that TTFAHTS stands for
"Twice the fun at half the speed".

PFCTW (or PFCT;) = Points finger, clicks tongue, winks [1]

[1] which is about the only valuable thing that Porl contributed to
this newsgroup. Where is the little hob goblin, anyway?

Alan T Gower

Aug 3, 2001, 11:18:50 AM8/3/01

"darsy" <da...@sticky.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 16:54:07 +0100, Fr.Jack
> <fr....@DIESPAMBOLLOXukrm.net> wrote:
>
> >If I am forced to ride in the wet - which is extremely rarely - I tend
> >to ride as if the road was covered in wet ice...with diesel on
> >top.....
>
> I can only imagine you've never actually ridden on ice. It's not that
> easy, but riding on wet roads is a veritable piece of piss.

Riding on ice is different, it forces you to concentrate.
Riding in the wet is fun, damn good fun.

--
Alan

GSX-R1000 <Thucking Great>, Triumph Thunderbird(s are go) , XLH1200 (YUK)
YTC#9 (and proud), DS#2 (Re: H-D), two#24, BOTAFOF#11, TGF
http://sportsbike.org

Champ

Aug 3, 2001, 1:01:44 PM8/3/01
Bastard Bear <bb...@cwcom.net> ejaculated :

>I can *finally* ride properly in the wet ... hooray!

You are finally ready to leave the temple.

God job too, we need to get the decoraters in now.

Simian

Aug 3, 2001, 3:17:00 PM8/3/01
Champ forgot to take the pills and typed

>Bastard Bear <bb...@cwcom.net> ejaculated :
>
>>I can *finally* ride properly in the wet ... hooray!
>
>You are finally ready to leave the temple.
>God job too, we need to get the decoraters in now.

ITYM 'fumigators', HTH.

Redliner

Aug 3, 2001, 3:16:38 PM8/3/01

Alan T Gower slid this one out:

> Riding on ice is different, it forces you to concentrate.
> Riding in the wet is fun, damn good fun.

As an all_weather_rider <sneer><smirk> I happen to agree. Mind you, it's
fucking great to take the stabilisers off, come the summer!
--

Redliner
RF900RS2

Alan T Gower

Aug 3, 2001, 4:37:09 PM8/3/01

"Redliner" <geoff...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

IKWYM, ice is the only thing that causes me really slow down though. Wet
roads are OK and I'm always amazed has fast you can corner in the wet.

Redliner

Aug 3, 2001, 5:00:13 PM8/3/01
> IKWYM, ice is the only thing that causes me really slow down though. Wet
> roads are OK and I'm always amazed has fast you can corner in the wet.

Yeah, I'm getting there. These Avon Azaro II's seem quite reliable.
All-round good experience builder.
--

Redliner
RF900RS2.

Champ

Aug 3, 2001, 6:35:32 PM8/3/01
"Alan T Gower" <ad...@dial.pipex.com> ejaculated :

>I'm always amazed has fast you can corner in the wet.

<AOL> I reckon I go at about 95% of my dry speed

Verdigris

Aug 4, 2001, 12:20:23 AM8/4/01
On Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:57:26 +0100, Champ <uk...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

<SNIP>

>PFCTW (or PFCT;) = Points finger, clicks tongue, winks [1]
>
>[1] which is about the only valuable thing that Porl contributed to
>this newsgroup. Where is the little hob goblin, anyway?

You have to say his name three times.

--
Simon
Triumph Tiger. Big trailees - you know they make sense.

Bastard Bear

Aug 4, 2001, 3:50:51 AM8/4/01

Try 010s ... they rock in the wet ... [1]

[1] actually, they rock, full stop

Alan T Gower

Aug 4, 2001, 4:03:33 AM8/4/01

"Champ" <uk...@champ.org.uk> wrote in message

> "Alan T Gower" <ad...@dial.pipex.com> ejaculated :
>
> >I'm always amazed has fast you can corner in the wet.
>
> <AOL> I reckon I go at about 95% of my dry speed

I'm about 10% slower (on the road) but only if it's really wet and clean.
When it's just drizzle I'm wary of the oil surfacing [1]

In icy conditions my cornering speed drops by 50%.

[1] I've been caught out once or twice or thrice or frice.

Redliner

Aug 4, 2001, 4:19:25 AM8/4/01
The great BB spoke thus:

> Try 010s ... they rock in the wet ... [1]
>
> [1] actually, they rock, full stop

Excluding wheelies [1], how many miles can you get out of them? [2]

[1] and all other forms of abuse
[2] in 'granny mode [3]
[3] oh, go on then, and 'devil incarnate' mode

--

Redliner
RF900RS2

Bastard Bear

Aug 4, 2001, 4:40:26 AM8/4/01
Redliner wrote:

> The great BB spoke thus:
>
> > Try 010s ... they rock in the wet ... [1]
> >
> > [1] actually, they rock, full stop
>
> Excluding wheelies [1], how many miles can you get out of them? [2]

I get about 2,500 miles from a rear, and about 4-5,000 from a front.

But then I ride like a c*nt; YMMV [1]

020s are good for a "touring" tyre ...

[1] Your mileages may vary

PeterT

Aug 4, 2001, 9:20:46 AM8/4/01
<dead...@burnt.org.uk> wrote in message
> In article <3B6BB4FA...@cwcom.net>, on Sat, 04 Aug
> 2001 09:40:26 +0100 , Bastard Bear <bb...@cwcom.net> wrote:
>
> <re 010 mileage>

> >I get about 2,500 miles from a rear, and about 4-5,000 from a front.
>
> I got 3,250 from the last rear. But then again I ride like
> a wuss.

Hear, hear, Dead in a states the obvious shocker!

Windy

Aug 4, 2001, 11:10:25 AM8/4/01
On Sat, 04 Aug 2001 04:20:23 GMT, Verdigris
<STILLV...@lineone.net.fu> wrote:

>On Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:57:26 +0100, Champ <uk...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>[1] which is about the only valuable thing that Porl contributed to
>>this newsgroup. Where is the little hob goblin, anyway?
>
>You have to say his name three times.

Nobody has to do anything they don't want to do.

--
~*~*~*~* W I N D Y *~*~*~*~
TGH on a VX800

Windy

Aug 4, 2001, 11:10:24 AM8/4/01
wrote:

>which is about the only valuable thing that Porl contributed to

>this newsgroup. Where is the little hob goblin, anyway?

In the cellar cleaning my hobnailed goblin boots.

Platypus

Aug 4, 2001, 7:39:00 PM8/4/01
Champ wrote:

> Bastard Bear <bb...@cwcom.net> ejaculated :
>
> >I can *finally* ride properly in the wet ... hooray!
>
> You are finally ready to leave the temple.
>
> God job too, we need to get the decoraters in now.

Speel chequors, shuarleigh?

Platypus

darsy

Aug 6, 2001, 3:53:51 AM8/6/01
On Fri, 3 Aug 2001 21:37:09 +0100, "Alan T Gower"
<ad...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>IKWYM, ice is the only thing that causes me really slow down though. Wet
>roads are OK and I'm always amazed has fast you can corner in the wet.

what about snow? Slushy half melted snow with ice underneath in random
places is about the worse surface I've ridden on (14 miles each way
from Bangor to Belfast). Packed snow isn't nearly as bad, though.

Christofire

Aug 6, 2001, 4:25:58 AM8/6/01
On 2 Aug 2001 15:24:00 GMT, des...@noos.fr (Des Coughlan) wrote:

<snip rain, sideways malarky>

>My thoughts at that point were that I had come close to disaster, averted
>it (by a) not panicking and b) luck), and was still breathing. Lesson
>learned.
>
>Moral ? Those sandy-coloured bits are slippery when wet. I know that,
>and in the past, have ridden over them with no problems. Yet today was
>the first shower of rain for a long while. That was mistake 1. Too much
>throttle ? Perhaps. Mistake 2. Inexperience ? Most likely.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. You're still here, so you must
have done something right. If you really feel the inexperience is a
major factor then head for some quiet roundabouts when it's wet. I
usually manage without trying to spin up the rear exiting a wet
roundabout. Not much mind, just a slight (~1K) rise in revs and a
slight rear-end drift. Just a steady or slight closing of the
throttle coaxes it back in and then wind back on. Feels lovely. :-)

Of course, if you bin it, you're on your own. Next week: Jumping Off
Cliffs, A Beginners Tutorial.
--
Christofire Suzuki SV650SK
two#20 TPPFAUICG#69 BONY#10 MIRTTH#7 SbS#20

Phil Launchbury

Aug 6, 2001, 6:25:12 AM8/6/01
In article <LiOa7.486$hs5.1...@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>, Redliner wrote:
> The great BB spoke thus:
>
>> Try 010s ... they rock in the wet ... [1]
>>
>> [1] actually, they rock, full stop
>
> Excluding wheelies [1], how many miles can you get out of them? [2]

I have at least 200 miles on the 020's on my blade and I'm not known
for being light-wristed...

Phil

--
Phil Launchbury, Unix Sysadmin
Honda CBR 900RRW (Ban-sidhe)

Redliner

Aug 6, 2001, 8:27:30 AM8/6/01

> > Excluding wheelies [1], how many miles can you get out of them? [2]
> >

> I have at least 200 miles on the 020's on my blade and I'm not known
> for being light-wristed...

Wow! 200 miles. I must get some.
--

Redliner