June 2015 trip seems to be a goer

wessie

Dec 8, 2014, 6:20:31 PM12/8/14
After a few expressions of interest I am going with the idea of a trip
to France and/or Germany from 20-28 June 2015.

Shorter days this year so I am working on travelling to the Tunnel on
Sat 20th to get an afternoon crossing and then travel for an hour or two
the other side for the first overnight.

It seems there is "something on" in the Arras/Ypres areas on Sat 20th
June as the Mercure and some other hotels are already booked out.
Therefore, without any financial commitment and a cancel at any time
option, I have booked 6 rooms in the Ibis in the centre of Arras. 2
singles (with single bed) at 61 euro, and 4 doubles at 71 euro (these
can take up to 3 people as there is a double & single bed).

From Arras the Vosges or Burgundy are easy rides - 4.5 hours via
motorway or 6.5 hours avoiding motorways.

Would potential travellers be happy with a 3 day base in Beaune and then
a 3 day base in Alsace, maybe Kaysersberg which gives the option of
forays into the Black Forest?

Apart from a load of cyclists the Vosges are quiet in June. Beaune is a
lovely place and at least a day off the bikes would be recommended with
a visit to at least one wine producer.

The above is option 1. The alternative is to head for the Ardennes on
Sat 20th and then have a base in the Eiffel/Mosel and then head for the
Black Forest or Vosges afterwards. CBA to research the Harz, just cherry
pick places from the last 2 decades of bike touring.

So far, these people have expressed an interest:
Hog (solo or +1?)
The Dodgers
Thomas
Scraggy & maybe +1
Me

Scraggy

Dec 9, 2014, 2:59:16 PM12/9/14
On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 17:20:30 -0600, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
wrote:
I have no view one way or the other.

members. Groucho Marx

wessie

Dec 9, 2014, 6:26:49 PM12/9/14
Scraggy <scr...@abuseisgoodforyou.org.be> wrote in
This looks rather lovely and is just Ł165 for 3 nights
http://booking.com/fd8e3af6e5f11ae4
http://goo.gl/maps/GtybJ for a view of the valley & road

So, this is what I propose:
Sat 20 Jun - cross channel, ride to Arras Ibis
Sun 21-Wed 24 Jun, 3 nights in Beaune with at least 1 day on the sauce
with a visit to http://www.patriarche.com/en/oenotourisme-caves-ppf.php
Wed 24-Sat 27 Jun in the above hotel in the Vosges near Munster
Sat 27 Jun - Reims city centre hotel
Sun 28 Jun - ride home

Hog

Dec 10, 2014, 8:17:36 AM12/10/14
Sounds excellent. I'll answer the other question directly.

wessie

Dec 10, 2014, 9:14:55 AM12/10/14
"Hog" <sm91...@CHIPShotmail.co.uk> wrote in

> wessie wrote:
>> This looks rather lovely and is just £165 for 3 nights
>> http://booking.com/fd8e3af6e5f11ae4
>> http://goo.gl/maps/GtybJ for a view of the valley & road
>>
>> So, this is what I propose:
>> Sat 20 Jun - cross channel, ride to Arras Ibis
>> Sun 21-Wed 24 Jun, 3 nights in Beaune with at least 1 day on the
>> sauce with a visit to
>> http://www.patriarche.com/en/oenotourisme-caves-ppf.php Wed 24-Sat 27
>> Jun in the above hotel in the Vosges near Munster
>> Sat 27 Jun - Reims city centre hotel
>> Sun 28 Jun - ride home
>
> Sounds excellent. I'll answer the other question directly.

the beauty of booking.com is that I have placed reservations on 6 rooms
in each location without parting with a cent and can cancel anytime up
to the day before if plans/numbers change

So, Ibis in Arras 1 night

Beaune hotel is http://booking.com/77cd9c9b2d39 which is just outside
the old city walls, 300m to the centre, secure parking. A Brithotel
which is similar to Logis i.e. independent hotels part of a marleting
organisation. 3 nights

3 nights in the Vosges mountains at the Panorama, link above. Logis
hotel with supposedly a good restaurant - taking the demi pension option
would make sense here as there isn't anywhere else to eat within walking
distance

Reims hotel is right by the cathedral and named after it.
http://booking.com/e0953dbb9ea63 - just a short walk to Place Drouet
d'Erlon which has a wide choice of eateries or maybe Place du Forum and
the rather nice Edgar Bistrot http://goo.gl/maps/fR8vA - no parking at
the hotel but plenty of space on the pavement or there is a barrier
controlled bunker a few metres away, for a fee, in the adjacent Monkey
Street http://goo.gl/maps/bypyq

Message has been deleted

wessie

Dec 10, 2014, 9:52:22 AM12/10/14
"Krusty" <dontw...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in news:m69lhk$qgg$1@dont-
email.me:

> wessie wrote:
>

>> the beauty of booking.com is that I have placed reservations on 6
>> rooms in each location without parting with a cent and can cancel
>> anytime up to the day before if plans/numbers change
>
> Not that you would, because only a complete cunt would do that to an
> independent hotel.

No. I will ask travellers to give a firm undertaking of participation by
Easter and if that does not happen release any untaken rooms back, to give
the hotel over 2 months to market the rooms.

This was the process agreed with the Austrian hotel we used last year,
although they gave a cut off date in May.

Although, one could argue if a hotel wants to have the benefit of receiving
booking.com reservations they will have to accept some late cancellations
on the flexible rates. Note, some of these hotels charge a premium rate for
such a flexible booking. At 10 euros per room, x3 nights x 6 rooms, they
may get quite a nice chunk of extra cash.

Scraggy

Dec 10, 2014, 11:21:44 AM12/10/14
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 08:52:20 -0600, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
wrote:
Good/bad news. +1 confirmed.

wessie

Dec 10, 2014, 11:33:28 AM12/10/14

Hog

Dec 10, 2014, 1:53:06 PM12/10/14
Ah, so hooning appropriately restricted....

wessie

Dec 10, 2014, 5:27:41 PM12/10/14
just a note on costs:

return tunnel for 1 bike is £73
Ibis in Arras is 61 euro for a single, 71 euro for a double, room only
Beaune hotel, room only, double 80 euro room only per night
Vosges, 70 euro per night for the room. Demi pension (breakfast & Dinner is
an extra 39 euro per person, per day. I'm happy to go demi pension but it's
not mandatory, £30 seems okay for breakfast & a 3 course dinner.
Reims hotel is 70 euro per room

wessie

Dec 13, 2014, 6:14:10 AM12/13/14
wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net> wrote in
to use the Clubcard voucher up in the time limit, I've booked my tunnel
crossings, out at 1336 on 20th June and back on the 28th June at 1350

Scraggy

Dec 13, 2014, 7:47:23 AM12/13/14
On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 05:14:09 -0600, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
wrote:
Booked.

wessie

Dec 13, 2014, 7:55:52 AM12/13/14

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 05:14:09 -0600, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
> wrote:
>
>>wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net> wrote in
>>
>>> just a note on costs:
>>>
>>> return tunnel for 1 bike is £73
>>> Ibis in Arras is 61 euro for a single, 71 euro for a double, room only
>>> Beaune hotel, room only, double 80 euro room only per night
>>> Vosges, 70 euro per night for the room. Demi pension (breakfast &
>>> Dinner is an extra 39 euro per person, per day. I'm happy to go demi
>>> pension but it's not mandatory, £30 seems okay for breakfast & a 3
>>> course dinner. Reims hotel is 70 euro per room
>>
>>to use the Clubcard voucher up in the time limit, I've booked my tunnel
>>crossings, out at 1336 on 20th June and back on the 28th June at 1350
>
> Booked.

excellent - should get to Arras with plenty of time for a late afternoon
wander prior to finding somewhere for dinner. Not been there for over a
decade so I imagine it is a bit different.

Salad Dodger

Jan 29, 2015, 12:17:40 PM1/29/15
On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 10:27:41 PM UTC, wessie wrote:
> just a note on costs:
>
> return tunnel for 1 bike is £73

Just got mine for £60. :-)

wessie

Jan 29, 2015, 1:53:49 PM1/29/15
Salad Dodger <Salad....@gmail.com> wrote in news:1be48f35-81d4-4dfe-
89b6-10b...@googlegroups.com:
Are you on the 1336 out and 1350 return?

I only paid £1 in cash - I had to book last month due to the expiry date on
the £75 Tesco Clubcard voucher.

So, we have 4 rooms effectively confirmed as Scraggy & Hog have bought
tunnel tickets. Just need Thomas to get his renovations on track and Bruce
to decide if he is tagging along at some point.

Thomas

Jan 29, 2015, 4:02:09 PM1/29/15
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:53:47 -0800, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net> wrote:

> Just need Thomas to get his renovations on track

unh, yeah. A year anna half later, and I still don't have a signed
contract. The builder's wife is overdue on their first kid, and he's a bit
distracted. Once we have a contract, I can order cabinets and they'll take
6 weeks. Then another... mebbe 5 weeks to finish. AAARGH!

wessie

Jan 29, 2015, 5:13:39 PM1/29/15
Thomas <xs...@xmail.com> wrote in
is there only one builder in the district?

Salad Dodger

Jan 29, 2015, 5:41:05 PM1/29/15
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:53:47 -0600, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
wrote:

>Salad Dodger <Salad....@gmail.com> wrote in news:1be48f35-81d4-4dfe-
>89b6-10b...@googlegroups.com:
>
>> On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 10:27:41 PM UTC, wessie wrote:
>>> just a note on costs:
>>>
>>> return tunnel for 1 bike is £73
>>
>> Just got mine for £60. :-)
>>

>Are you on the 1336 out and 1350 return?

Not.

Exactly.

wessie

Jan 29, 2015, 6:04:45 PM1/29/15
Salad Dodger <nick.k...@idnet.com> wrote in
there's a chip shop near the Ibis if you arrive late :)
http://goo.gl/maps/RkVGs
and a kebab shop acorss the Place
http://goo.gl/maps/K8GFc

Salad Dodger

Jan 29, 2015, 7:29:49 PM1/29/15
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:04:44 -0600, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
wrote:

>Salad Dodger <nick.k...@idnet.com> wrote in
>
>> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:53:47 -0600, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Salad Dodger <Salad....@gmail.com> wrote in news:1be48f35-81d4-4dfe-
>>>89b6-10b...@googlegroups.com:

>>>Are you on the 1336 out and 1350 return?
>>
>> Not.
>>
>> Exactly.
>>

>there's a chip shop near the Ibis if you arrive late :)
>http://goo.gl/maps/RkVGs
>and a kebab shop acorss the Place
>http://goo.gl/maps/K8GFc

We're on the 10:50 :-)

At the moment.

Thomas

Jan 29, 2015, 9:14:35 PM1/29/15
No, but he's the one I want. He lives only a few doors down, does
excellent work, and is less costly by far.

CT

Jan 30, 2015, 4:02:32 AM1/30/15
wessie wrote:

> Are you on the 1336 out and 1350 return?

It's not a very long trip, is it?

--
Chris

Champ

Jan 30, 2015, 4:30:49 AM1/30/15
On 30 Jan 2015 09:02:31 GMT, "CT" <m...@christrollen.co.uk> wrote:

>wessie wrote:
>
>> Are you on the 1336 out and 1350 return?

>It's not a very long trip, is it?

heh
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

ogden

Jan 30, 2015, 8:05:29 AM1/30/15
On 30 Jan 2015 09:02:31 GMT, "CT" <m...@christrollen.co.uk> wrote:
> wessie wrote:
> > Are you on the 1336 out and 1350 return?
> It's not a very long trip, is it?

14 years?

It's inventing the time machine that will be the real challenge.

--
ogden on tour

CT

Jan 30, 2015, 8:34:12 AM1/30/15
But getting back just before the Black Death hits, which is a stroke of
luck.

--
Chris

AstroSpanner

Jan 30, 2015, 9:20:14 AM1/30/15
In article <cj1fii...@mid.individual.net>, m...@christrollen.co.uk
says...
Health tourists, bring their Black Death with them. Send 'em all back!

--
Will
ZRX1200

wessie

Jan 30, 2015, 9:52:29 AM1/30/15

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:04:44 -0600, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
>>>
>>> Not.
>>>
>>> Exactly.
>>>

>>there's a chip shop near the Ibis if you arrive late :)
>>http://goo.gl/maps/RkVGs
>>and a kebab shop acorss the Place
>>http://goo.gl/maps/K8GFc
>
> We're on the 10:50 :-)
>
> At the moment.

Ah, the advance party. You can maybe do a recce to find somewhere that will
not treat the 2 vegetarians (well one will eat fish) like some sort of
alien species.

Champ

Jan 30, 2015, 12:55:27 PM1/30/15
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:52:28 -0600, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
wrote:

>Ah, the advance party. You can maybe do a recce to find somewhere that will
>not treat the 2 vegetarians (well one will eat fish) like some sort of
>alien species.

What, despite them obviously being aliens?

Mark Olson

Jan 30, 2015, 1:01:20 PM1/30/15
On 2015-01-30 11:55 AM, Champ wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:52:28 -0600, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Ah, the advance party. You can maybe do a recce to find somewhere that will
>> not treat the 2 vegetarians (well one will eat fish) like some sort of
>> alien species.
>
> What, despite them obviously being aliens?

http://www.erikschubach.com/images/blog/man-from-atlantis.jpg

(I think it was taken in San Diego, not Norfolk as you might assume)

wessie

Jan 30, 2015, 1:13:13 PM1/30/15
Mark Olson <ols...@tiny.invalid> wrote in

> On 2015-01-30 11:55 AM, Champ wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:52:28 -0600, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Ah, the advance party. You can maybe do a recce to find somewhere
>>> that will not treat the 2 vegetarians (well one will eat fish) like
>>> some sort of alien species.
>>
>> What, despite them obviously being aliens?
>
> http://www.erikschubach.com/images/blog/man-from-atlantis.jpg

Thomas was a good looker 60 years ago

Thomas

Jan 30, 2015, 3:34:04 PM1/30/15