cyclist holding up traffic

Thumper

Jul 30, 2013, 8:51:03 AM7/30/13
Saw a cyclist this morning on a road that links the town centre with the
by-pass, so it's a fairly busy road. It is a 40 limit and there is a marked
cycle lane on the road. Despite it being quite a wide cycle lane this
cyclist was riding about 2 feet outside the lane with an ever increasing
line of vehicles behind him.

Tim+

Jul 30, 2013, 9:09:31 AM7/30/13
Inconsiderate but maybe he had his reasons. Cycle lanes at the side of the
main road (that are part of the main carriageway) often end up being full
of stones and broken glass if the councils don't sweep them.

Tim
Message has been deleted

The Revd

Jul 30, 2013, 10:49:56 AM7/30/13
Or maybe he was just being a prat?

Tim+

Jul 30, 2013, 12:29:40 PM7/30/13
Well of course, as I've already suggested, but maybe not. Your point
being?

Tim
Message has been deleted

The Revd

Jul 30, 2013, 3:06:13 PM7/30/13
Does there have to be one?
Message has been deleted

Thumper

Jul 30, 2013, 6:32:41 PM7/30/13

"Paul Cummins" <harveste...@gstgroup.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <3FOJt.14579$%G1....@fx36.am4>, thum...@ntlworld.com
> (Thumper) wrote:
>
>> Despite it being quite a wide cycle lane this
>> cyclist was riding about 2 feet outside the lane with an ever
>> increasing line of vehicles behind him.
>
> Is a bicycle a "road vehicle"?

Yes

> if so, what is the problem with him using the road.

Nothing at all, but there was a cycle lane marked on the road specifically
for him to use. If he had stayed in that cycle lane he would've travelled
the road just as fast and vehicles would've passed him safely. What he was
doing was the same as a car driver being halfway between lanes on a dual
carriageway.

Nick

Jul 30, 2013, 6:54:19 PM7/30/13
At 8.44 am today I noticed a car just left by the side of the road,
effectively blocking the left hand carriage way. This was causing severe
congestion as other innocent car drivers and cyclists had to wait for a
break in the steady stream of cars coming for the opposite direction
before they could safely pull into the opposite lane to manoeuvre around
this obstruction.

I often see cars left by the side of the road causing this type of
obstruction. But this morning I thought to myself enough is enough, I
need to do something about this selfishness. So I resolved to tackle the
problem by making this strongly critical post to usenet.

Tosspot

Jul 31, 2013, 1:26:03 AM7/31/13
<Applause>

Mrcheerful

Jul 31, 2013, 2:39:49 AM7/31/13

"Nick" <Nick...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
you should post it to a car or driving group.

Thumper

Jul 31, 2013, 9:18:23 AM7/31/13

"Mrcheerful" <g.odon...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
He has.

The Revd

Jul 31, 2013, 10:08:20 AM7/31/13
On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 23:54:19 +0100, Nick <Nick...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
Perhaps the cunt broke down?

soup

Jul 31, 2013, 10:50:58 AM7/31/13
Nick wrote:
> So I resolved to tackle the
> problem by making this strongly critical post to usenet.

Isn't there a wind somewhere you could be pissing into? :O)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Thumper

Jul 31, 2013, 5:40:42 PM7/31/13

"Phil W Lee" <ph...@lee-family.me.uk> wrote in message
> "Thumper" <thum...@ntlworld.com> considered Tue, 30 Jul 2013
> Was he using more than one lane then?
> If not, I fail to see the equivalence.

Not in the cycle lane that cars cannot drive in. In the part of the road
that cars can drive in, so effectively taking up both areas of road.

> It is entirely up to the cyclist whether he uses a cycle lane or not.
> So many of them are actively dangerous that the existence of a cycle
> lane is usually a very good indication of the most hazardous position
> for a cyclist to be on the road.

This is a normal cycle lane on a straight road. No major roads to the left.
road ends at a proper roundabout.

Brian Robertson

Jul 31, 2013, 5:57:31 PM7/31/13
But you just KNOW that nothing is going to happen to the cyclist because
we are above the law :-)

Brian Robertson

Jul 31, 2013, 5:58:18 PM7/31/13
roflmao

Mrcheerful

Jul 31, 2013, 6:32:02 PM7/31/13
but you don't seem to manage minor nudges, potholes, fence posts, kerbs,
railway crossings, tram lines, hills, slippery roads, subways etc. etc.

Mark Williams

Aug 8, 2013, 2:57:34 PM8/8/13
"Thumper" <thum...@ntlworld.com> writes:

>>> I often see cars left by the side of the road causing this type of
>>> obstruction. But this morning I thought to myself enough is enough,
>>> I need to do something about this selfishness. So I resolved to
>>> tackle the problem by making this strongly critical post to usenet.
>>
>> you should post it to a car or driving group.
>
> He has.

We have been telling Mr. Cheerful for years that his posting habits in
URC would make him go blind!

--
Mark

Mr Pounder

Aug 8, 2013, 5:21:54 PM8/8/13

"Mark Williams" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
No, we have not.
Have you always been a liar?

Mark Williams

Aug 30, 2013, 1:50:12 PM8/30/13
"Mr Pounder" <MrPo...@RationalThought.com> writes:

>> We have been telling Mr. Cheerful for years that his posting habits
>> in URC would make him go blind!
>
> No, we have not. Have you always been a liar?

Do not have a stroke.

--
Mark