Cyclist problems in Hull

Marie

May 14, 2011, 10:43:52 AM5/14/11

Simon Mason

May 14, 2011, 11:27:51 AM5/14/11
On May 14, 3:43 pm, Marie <marie.law...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Brief/article-3557738-d...

> Is there a Hull resident who could comment.

Not a resident - I live between two Yorkshire villages, but I do ride
in that area from time to time, but never on the pavements, so not
really of concern to me at all.

--
Simon Mason

Judith

May 14, 2011, 11:42:49 AM5/14/11
On Sat, 14 May 2011 08:27:51 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason <swld...@gmail.com>
wrote:

What a wanker.

What's your post-code?

Why do you insist on posting shite about Hull on other occasions?

Simple really.
--
Simon Mason - who cycles at 25mph in 20mph limits just because the limits do not apply to cyclists.
This includes exceeding the speed limit past three schools. A total disregard for the well-being of vulnerable road users.

Mr Pounder

May 14, 2011, 11:54:47 AM5/14/11

"Simon Mason" <swld...@gmail.com> wrote in message

--
Simon Mason

I would have thought that everyone should be concerned about people who
break the law.
Woops, silly me.

--
Mr Pounder

Simon Mason

May 14, 2011, 12:08:23 PM5/14/11
On May 14, 4:54 pm, "Mr Pounder" <MrPoun...@RationalThought.com>
wrote:
> "Simon Mason" <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Why should I worry about people breaking the law miles away?
The Police have the powers to impose spot fines over a minor nuisance
somewhere and I should lose sleep over it?
How odd.

--
Simon Mason

Marie

May 14, 2011, 12:34:00 PM5/14/11

Cyclists breaking the law is only a monor nuisance, why is it no
suprise that this is a cyclists answer.

Paul - xxx

May 14, 2011, 12:38:54 PM5/14/11
Marie wrote:

Not a Hull resident, but am a cyclist and welcome any initiative by
lawful authority that clamps down on illegal activities.

--
Paul - xxx

Simon Mason

May 14, 2011, 12:52:11 PM5/14/11
On May 14, 5:34 pm, Marie <marie.law...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Not a resident - I live between two Yorkshire villages, but I do ride
> > > in that area from time to time, but never on the pavements, so not
> > > really of concern to me at all.
>
> > > --
> > > Simon Mason
>
> > > I would have thought that everyone should be concerned about people who
> > > break the law.
>
> > Why should I worry about people breaking the law miles away?
> > The Police have the powers to impose spot fines over a minor nuisance
> > somewhere and I should lose sleep over it?
> > How odd.
>
> > --
> > Simon Mason
>
> Cyclists breaking the law is only a monor nuisance, why is it no
> suprise that this is a cyclists answer.- Hide quoted text -

The spot fine of just 30 pounds would bear out that it is just a minor
nuisance, no injuries have been caused as yet as far as I'm aware.
On the other hand, bad parkers get fined 175 quid which shows you how
much worse they are viewed due to their illegal trespassing and then
having the gall to cry about it when caught.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Driver-clampers-court/article-3401488-detail/article.html

He won't be parking on private property again in a hurry!
He shouldn't even be driving if he couldn't spot that sign given the
size of it.

--
Simon Mason

Tom Crispin

May 14, 2011, 4:10:06 PM5/14/11

Do you consider a three year old riding their bike on the pavement
outside their home a serious nuisance?

Mr Pounder

May 14, 2011, 4:21:24 PM5/14/11

--
Simon Mason

I should not have asked you the question. You had nowhere to run.
Sorry about that.

--
Mr Pounder

JNugent

May 14, 2011, 4:34:24 PM5/14/11

The word "serious" has to be qualified by the circumstances.

If the house were an isolated dwelling in the coiuntryside with a short
stretch of footway outside, probably not.

In a suburb, maybe. It would depend on who else needs to use the footway,
including pedestrians, bus-users, vehicles crossing the footway to gaiun
access to driveways, etc.

Any parent, though, who chooses to let a 3-yr-old out onto the highway on a
bike needs their head testing. Did you really mean *three* years old?

The Medway Handyman

May 14, 2011, 4:40:10 PM5/14/11

Do I have to explain everything to you shit for brains?

The £30 fine is for breaking the law. The £175 'penalty' not 'fine' is
simply a money making venture.

Tom Crispin

May 14, 2011, 4:45:11 PM5/14/11
On Sat, 14 May 2011 21:34:24 +0100, JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm>
wrote:

In that case we are in agreement.

>If the house were an isolated dwelling in the coiuntryside with a short
>stretch of footway outside, probably not.
>
>In a suburb, maybe. It would depend on who else needs to use the footway,
>including pedestrians, bus-users, vehicles crossing the footway to gaiun
>access to driveways, etc.
>
>Any parent, though, who chooses to let a 3-yr-old out onto the highway on a
>bike needs their head testing. Did you really mean *three* years old?

It was a hypothetical question. I would have expected you to
understand that - clearly I misjudged, and for that I am sorry.

JNugent

May 14, 2011, 8:10:11 PM5/14/11

No need to be "sorry". My answer was also hypothetical. I am sorry and
surprised that you could not understand that.

Trevor A Panther

May 15, 2011, 1:41:48 AM5/15/11
"Paul - xxx" <notchec...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I shall be cycling through Hull on next Wednesday afternoon on my way to
the Ferry terminal -- towing my trailer, on road but avoiding the busy A63.
Except on the last mile where there is a cycle track on the north side which
takes me up to roundabout leading to the entrance of the dock.
Been through Hull on this run a few times now and there are just a few roads
to avoid with heavy commercial traffic but otherwise I have always found it
OK.

I, unlike an awful lot of POB's in the Doncaster area, cycle on road at all
times, slightly left of centre in my lane on dual carriageways, There are a
few shared use pavements but they are generally unkempt, littered with
detritus, have endless junctions and pedestrians in herds -- I keep well
clear! Pavement riding is antisocial, time wasting, and hazardous both to
pedestrians and cyclists!

--
From
Trevor A Panther

Doug

May 15, 2011, 2:28:41 AM5/15/11
On May 15, 6:41 am, "Trevor A Panther"
<ta...@Psantispamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> "Paul - xxx" <notcheckede...@hotmail.com> wrote in messagenews:937pgu...@mid.individual.net...
>
> > Marie wrote:
>
> >http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Brief/article-3557738-d...

> >> Is there a Hull resident who could comment.
>
> > Not a Hull resident, but am a cyclist and welcome any initiative by
> > lawful authority that clamps down on illegal activities.
>
> > --
> > Paul - xxx
>
> I shall be cycling through Hull on  next Wednesday afternoon on my way to
> the Ferry terminal -- towing my trailer, on road but avoiding the busy A63.
> Except on the last mile where there is a cycle track on the north side which
> takes me up to roundabout leading to the entrance of the dock.
> Been through Hull on this run a few times now and there are just a few roads
> to avoid with heavy commercial traffic but otherwise I have always found it
> OK.
>
> I, unlike an awful lot of POB's in the Doncaster area, cycle on road at all
> times,  slightly left of centre in my lane on dual carriageways, There are a
> few shared use pavements but they are generally unkempt, littered with
> detritus, have endless junctions and pedestrians in herds -- I keep well
> clear! Pavement riding is antisocial, time wasting, and hazardous both to
> pedestrians and cyclists!

Unfortunately though some cyclists are under the illusion that
pavements are safer than roads. They ignore the fact that motorists
sometimes also use pavements and indeed crash across them while taking
lives in the process. Until this myth of pavement safety is exposed
some cyclists will continue to use them. Pavements actually are more
inconvenient than roads, cluttered as they are with street furniture,
pedestrians and often without dropped kerbs at numerous intersections
where the cyclist has to stop and give way.

Doug.

Simon Mason

May 15, 2011, 3:52:20 AM5/15/11
On May 14, 9:40 pm, The Medway Handyman <davidl...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:
> >http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Driver-clampers-court/a...

> > He won't be parking on private property again in a hurry!
> > He shouldn't even be driving if he couldn't spot that sign given the
> > size of it.
>
> Do I have to explain everything to you shit for brains?
>
> The £30 fine is for breaking the law.  The £175 'penalty' not 'fine' is
> simply a money making venture.
>
> --
> Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

It is a penalty for trespassing on private property.
It is a big problem - selfish people parking on other peoples' land.

--
Simon Mason

Tony Dragon

May 15, 2011, 3:52:59 AM5/15/11

Trust you to try to twist a sensible post from what appears to be a
normal cyclist who respects other road users.

Simon Mason

May 15, 2011, 4:03:39 AM5/15/11
On May 15, 6:41 am, "Trevor A Panther"
<ta...@Psantispamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I shall be cycling through Hull on  next Wednesday afternoon on my way to
> the Ferry terminal -- towing my trailer, on road but avoiding the busy A63.
> Except on the last mile where there is a cycle track on the north side which
> takes me up to roundabout leading to the entrance of the dock.
> Been through Hull on this run a few times now and there are just a few roads
> to avoid with heavy commercial traffic but otherwise I have always found it
> OK.

If I was coming in from the west, I would cycle south of the Humber
through Scunthorpe, ride across the Humber Bridge (no toll for
cyclists) then cycle down Livingstone Road, Hessle to Sainsbury's
roundabout, then carry my bike down to the Foreshore. I'd then ride
past Makro, Mr Chu's, Albert Dock, the Marina, The Deep and then
arrive at the ferry terminal having ridden all along the side of the
estuary. Sadly though, it would not be possible with a trailer, as you
have to carry your bike up and down a few steps at various points.

--
Simon Mason

Simon Mason

May 15, 2011, 4:05:36 AM5/15/11
On May 14, 9:21 pm, "Mr Pounder" <MrPoun...@RationalThought.com>
> Mr Pounder- Hide quoted text -

Do you worry about some yobs buying fags under age, or swigging lager
in a park 5 miles away?
Thought not.

--
Simon Mason

Mrcheerful

May 15, 2011, 4:22:27 AM5/15/11
Doug wrote:

> Unfortunately though some cyclists are under the illusion that
> pavements are safer than roads.

So why do YOU ride on the pavement?

webreader

May 15, 2011, 4:38:35 AM5/15/11

They should be for pedestrians.

>They ignore the fact that motorists
> sometimes also use pavements and indeed crash across them while taking
> lives in the process.

In the big scheme of things, not a common event.

>Until this myth of pavement safety is exposed
> some cyclists will continue to use them.

You mean the anti-social arrogant cyclists.

> Pavements actually are more
> inconvenient than roads,

They are very convient for pedestrians.

> cluttered as they are with street furniture,

Where would this street furniture go?

> pedestrians

Cant have pedestrians on pavements getting in the way of cyclists can
we?

> and often without dropped kerbs at numerous intersections
> where the cyclist has to stop and give way.

Cant have cyclists having to give way when they are riding in an
illegal way can we.

> Doug. (the serial lawbreaking cyclist)

davi...@blueyonder.co.uk

May 15, 2011, 4:43:00 AM5/15/11
On 14/05/2011 21:10, Tom Crispin wrote:

The appropriate use of a childs toy by a child is fine. Its when anti
social adults try using childrens toys as a form of transport on modern
roads that the problems occur.

--
Dave - Cyclists VOR.

davi...@blueyonder.co.uk

May 15, 2011, 4:48:15 AM5/15/11
On 15/05/2011 07:28, Doug wrote:

> Unfortunately though some cyclists are under the illusion that
> pavements are safer than roads.

Most cyclists are under the illusion that they are allowed on pavements
- they aren't.

> They ignore the fact that motorists
> sometimes also use pavements and indeed crash across them while taking
> lives in the process.

For 'sometimes' read 'very rarely'.

> Until this myth of pavement safety is exposed
> some cyclists will continue to use them.

Not some. Most.

> Pavements actually are more
> inconvenient than roads, cluttered as they are with street furniture,
> pedestrians and often without dropped kerbs at numerous intersections
> where the cyclist has to stop and give way.

That would be because they were designed for pedestrians.

Squashme

May 15, 2011, 5:49:14 AM5/15/11

In the road with the rest of the shit.

Paul - xxx

May 15, 2011, 5:51:00 AM5/15/11
Doug wrote:

No, they're under the illusion that it's OK to cycle on pavements.

Pavements are safer for pedestrians than roads.

> They ignore the fact that motorists
> sometimes also use pavements and indeed crash across them while taking
> lives in the process.

Not in the general or usual course of driving they don't. When it does
happen it's a very, very rare occasion, especially when compared to the
number of miles driven and walked.

--
Paul - xxx

Tom Crispin

May 15, 2011, 5:59:35 AM5/15/11

Tony Dragon

May 15, 2011, 6:14:20 AM5/15/11

So you would like litter bins, lamp posts, bus stops, bus shelters,
seats, post boxes, pedestrian signals, bike stands, etc to be put in the
road?

Tom Crispin

May 15, 2011, 6:33:37 AM5/15/11

litter bins - yes
lamp posts - yes
bus stops - yes
bus shelters - no
seats - no
post boxes - yes
pedestrian signals - yes
bike stands - yes
road signs - yes
traffic signals - yes
diversion notices - yes

>to be put in the
>road?

It may slow the traffic a little and clear the footway for its
purpose.

Mr Pounder

May 15, 2011, 6:47:33 AM5/15/11

--
Simon Mason

You thought wrong.
I am concerned about such yobs and disapprove of their conduct.

Simon Mason

May 15, 2011, 6:47:56 AM5/15/11
On May 15, 11:33 am, Tom Crispin <tom.nos...@britsc.com.nospam> wrote:

> It may slow the traffic a little and clear the footway for its
> purpose.- Hide quoted text -

For cars to park on, presumably.

--
Simon Mason

Squashme

May 15, 2011, 6:48:17 AM5/15/11
On May 15, 11:33 am, Tom Crispin <tom.nos...@britsc.com.nospam> wrote:

After all, allegedly the motorists "pay" for most of it with their
"road tax", so they need to find a place for it. Unless pedestrians
were to charge storage?

Squashme

May 15, 2011, 6:54:38 AM5/15/11
On May 15, 11:47 am, "Mr Pounder" <MrPoun...@RationalThought.com>

Thought is father to action.

Tony Dragon

May 15, 2011, 6:55:51 AM5/15/11

SO:-

litter bins, lamp posts, bus stops, bus shelters, seats, post boxes,
pedestrian signals, bike stands

are only used by motorists, what a quaint idea.

Simon Mason

May 15, 2011, 7:00:13 AM5/15/11
wrote:
> "Simon Mason" <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On May 14, 9:21 pm, "Mr Pounder" <MrPoun...@RationalThought.com>
> wrote:
>

> > "Simon Mason" <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On May 14, 4:54 pm, "Mr Pounder" <MrPoun...@RationalThought.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > "Simon Mason" <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Not a resident - I live between two Yorkshire villages, but I do ride
> > > in that area from time to time, but never on the pavements, so not
> > > really of concern to me at all.
>
> > > --
> > > Simon Mason
>
> > > I would have thought that everyone should be concerned about people who
> > > break the law.
>
> > Why should I worry about people breaking the law miles away?
> > The Police have the powers to impose spot fines over a minor nuisance
> > somewhere and I should lose sleep over it?
> > How odd.
>
> > --
> > Simon Mason
>
> > I should not have asked you the question. You had nowhere to run.
> > Sorry about that.
>
> > --
> > Mr Pounder- Hide quoted text -

> Do you worry about some yobs buying fags under age, or swigging lager
> in a park 5 miles away?
> Thought not.
>
> --
> Simon Mason
>
> You thought wrong.
> I am concerned about such yobs and disapprove of their conduct.- Hide quoted text -

Tip:

Worry about what you can affect.
Don't worry about what you *can't* affect.
It makes life much easier and simpler.

--
Simon Mason

JNugent

May 15, 2011, 7:06:37 AM5/15/11

He meant cycling along, obviously.

And it was a wind up. He succeeded with you.

Paul - xxx

May 15, 2011, 7:16:18 AM5/15/11
Tom Crispin wrote:

I dunno about shifting most of it to the road, but I reckon ALL paths
and ALL roads, where possible, should be built to similar conditions of
flatness, and openness(sp?) with any signage and most street furniture
confined to a space overlapping between the pathway and roadway, within
limits, so that roads and paths are similarly specced and offer no
impedance to those who use them.

To have lamp or sign posts arbitrarily sited in the centre of pathways
or cycle lanes or road lanes is utter fuckwittery of the worst
(dangerous) sort. Things like large ring road direction signs that
straddle pathways are accidents waiting to happen[1], Bollards that
suddenly jut out into a lane are, to me, an anathema to having
free-moving traffic and do nothing for pedestrian safety either.

Dunno how easily or cheaply it could be done retrospectively, but
sometimes it does look like most street and road layouts and
infrastructure are designed[2] by utter fuckwits who never ride, drive
or walk anywhere.

[1] Yes, I've actually seen accidents happen.

[2] Designed in the loosest sense of the word.

--
Paul - xxx

Squashme

May 15, 2011, 7:16:31 AM5/15/11

Are only PROVIDED by motorists, what a common idea here.

Squashme

May 15, 2011, 7:19:10 AM5/15/11

He is proud of being a racist, so he is used to being ineffective.

Tony Dragon

May 15, 2011, 7:26:39 AM5/15/11

I would be interested to know where I have said such a thing.

Squashme

May 15, 2011, 7:32:20 AM5/15/11

Expect that you might be.
I would be interested to know where I have said that YOU have said
such a thing.

I would be interested to know where I have said "litter bins, lamp

posts, bus stops, bus shelters, seats, post boxes, pedestrian signals,

bike stands are only used by motorists."

Tony Dragon

May 15, 2011, 7:42:47 AM5/15/11

A few I can think of near me.

A lamppost in front of a bus shelter (I don't what came first) but why
not have the bus stop sign on the lamppost & the shelter next to it.

A narrow pavement made even narrower by bike stands being put there.

Tony Dragon

May 15, 2011, 7:46:42 AM5/15/11

You did not, I asked

"Where would this street furniture go?"

You replied

Squashme

May 15, 2011, 7:50:51 AM5/15/11
On May 15, 12:42 pm, Tony Dragon <tony.dra...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 15/05/2011 12:16, Paul - xxx wrote:
>

> > Tom Crispin wrote:
>
> >> On Sun, 15 May 2011 11:14:20 +0100, Tony Dragon
> >> <tony.dra...@btinternet.com>  wrote:

Who OWNS them?

Squashme

May 15, 2011, 7:53:14 AM5/15/11

Imprecise, I'll grant you, but it had the advantage of being broad-
spectrum insulting.

Tony Dragon

May 15, 2011, 8:12:06 AM5/15/11
>> not have the bus stop sign on the lamppost& the shelter next to it.
>
> Who OWNS them?

Buggered if I know, local council for the lamp, Tfl for the bus stop?
Even so bus stop signs have been bolted to lampposts before.

Tony Dragon

May 15, 2011, 8:19:12 AM5/15/11

I'll forgive you this time, but if you do it again I'll contact the
usenet police.

Judith

May 15, 2011, 11:29:12 AM5/15/11
On Sun, 15 May 2011 01:03:39 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason <swld...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On May 15, 6:41�am, "Trevor A Panther"
><ta...@Psantispamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I shall be cycling through Hull on �next Wednesday afternoon on my way to
>> the Ferry terminal -- towing my trailer, on road but avoiding the busy A63.
>> Except on the last mile where there is a cycle track on the north side which
>> takes me up to roundabout leading to the entrance of the dock.
>> Been through Hull on this run a few times now and there are just a few roads
>> to avoid with heavy commercial traffic but otherwise I have always found it
>> OK.
>

>If I was coming in from the west, I would cycle south of the Humber
>through Scunthorpe, ride across the Humber Bridge (no toll for
>cyclists) then cycle down Livingstone Road, Hessle to Sainsbury's
>roundabout, then carry my bike down to the Foreshore. I'd then ride
>past Makro, Mr Chu's, Albert Dock, the Marina, The Deep and then
>arrive at the ferry terminal having ridden all along the side of the
>estuary. Sadly though, it would not be possible with a trailer, as you
>have to carry your bike up and down a few steps at various points.

Which - give that he has said he has a trailer means that your post was - like
most of them - a total waste of fucking time.

Simple really.

--
Simon Mason - who cycles at 25mph in 20mph limits just because the limits do not apply to cyclists.
This includes exceeding the speed limit past three schools. A total disregard for the well-being of vulnerable road users.
The actions of a true psycholist.

Mr Pounder

May 15, 2011, 2:02:04 PM5/15/11

"Simon Mason" <swld...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Tip:

--
Simon Mason

I said concerned, I did not say worried.

Mr Pounder

May 15, 2011, 2:05:55 PM5/15/11

"Squashme" <squa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You missed out me being a bigot as well as a racist.

Peter Keller

May 15, 2011, 7:30:40 PM5/15/11
On Sun, 15 May 2011 09:43:00 +0100, davidlang wrote:

> The appropriate use of a childs toy by a child is fine. Its when anti
> social adults try using childrens toys as a form of transport on modern
> roads that the problems occur.

My child's toy is extremely useful and convenient.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.

Front Mech

May 16, 2011, 6:42:21 AM5/16/11
On 14 mei, 22:10, Tom Crispin <tom.nos...@britsc.com.nospam> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2011 09:34:00 -0700 (PDT), Marie
>

> <marie.law...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> >On May 14, 5:08 pm, Simon Mason <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Why should I worry about people breaking the law miles away?
> >> The Police have the powers to impose spot fines over a minor nuisance
> >> somewhere and I should lose sleep over it?
> >> How odd.
>
> >> --
> >> Simon Mason
>
> >Cyclists breaking the law is only a monor nuisance, why is it no
> >suprise that this is a cyclists answer.
>
> Do you consider a three year old riding their bike on the pavement
> outside their home a serious nuisance?

Absolutely. They should be forced onto the road amongst the cycle-
haters such as Hagfish, Medway and Cheerless. I lay awake worrying
about pavement cycling - it is the major criminal activity facing us
in these barren times.

Simon Mason

May 16, 2011, 7:02:15 AM5/16/11
On May 16, 11:42 am, Front Mech <frontm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Do you consider a three year old riding their bike on the pavement
> > outside their home a serious nuisance?
>
> Absolutely. They should be forced onto the road amongst the cycle-
> haters such as Hagfish, Medway and Cheerless. I lay awake worrying
> about pavement cycling - it is the major criminal activity facing us
> in these barren times.- Hide quoted text -

That's right - those kiddies' trikes should be taxed, insured and MOT
tested. Their riders should wear builder's vests with registration
numbers on and be fined heavily for riding on the pavements. The
trikes should also have big motorbike number plates fixed to them,
front and rear so they can be traced and the kid fined two weeks
pocket money. They are the biggest cause of sleepless nights for
curtain twitchers up and down the land. Today's pavement toddler is
tomorrow's Nova driving hoodie.

--
Simon Mason

davi...@blueyonder.co.uk

May 16, 2011, 12:46:29 PM5/16/11

Stupid pill overdose again.

Children using their push bikes for their intended purpose - as toys -
do not terrify pedestrians. Immature anti social adults on push bikes
do on a regular basis.

Standard cyclists diversionary tactic.

--
Dave - Cyclists VOR.

Simon Mason

May 16, 2011, 12:56:14 PM5/16/11
> Dave - Cyclists VOR.- Hide quoted text -

Medway says:
"Its when anti-social adults try using childrens toys as a form of

transport on modern
roads that the problems occur. "

So these children's "toys" should be free of regulation then?

Thank you.

--
Simon