Attacked by a car full of women.

Simon Mason

May 22, 2004, 12:13:14 PM5/22/04
Riding home from work on the road bike, I was overtaken by a car with 4
women in it, the front passenger of which came alongside and sang along to
some ghastly R+B bling bling music into my earhole. As I had my earpiece in
listening to the FA Cup final, she must have been disappointed that I showed
no reaction and I eventually passed them at some lights.

On their next pass I got the full jeering and car horn treatment and when
they got stuck I passed them again and got in front. I wondered what the
third line of attack would be and it turned out to be an empty plastic
bottle which one "lady" whacked me on the bum with as they drove off. I
mean, I've heard some men pay good money for this sort of abuse ;-)

--
Simon M.

Simonb

May 22, 2004, 12:17:12 PM5/22/04
"Attacked by a Car Full of Women"

Sounds like a Russ Myer movie.

Zog The Undeniable

May 22, 2004, 2:59:42 PM5/22/04
Simonb wrote:
> "Attacked by a Car Full of Women"
>
> Sounds like a Russ Myer movie.

Nah, you're thinking of "Attacked by A Car Full Of Ultra Vixens"

Dave Chadderton

May 22, 2004, 4:00:10 PM5/22/04

"Simon Mason" <si...@simonmason.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> . As I had my earpiece in
> listening to the FA Cup final, she must have been disappointed that I
showed
> no reaction

On a serious note, if you were unable to hear a car full of women what
chance you would hear an audible warning............ probably none. Riding
with an earpiece on is almost as irresponsible as whacking someone one the
back with a plastic bottle from a moving car. To stay alive on the road
today you need all your senses fully alert, especially with car loads of
moronic women whizzing around!

Stay alert and stay alive.

Mark South

May 22, 2004, 4:31:44 PM5/22/04

"Zog The Undeniable" <hroth...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

...on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown".

Daniel Barlow

May 22, 2004, 4:32:57 PM5/22/04
"Dave Chadderton" <dave...@dsl.pipex.com> writes:

> On a serious note, if you were unable to hear a car full of women what
> chance you would hear an audible warning............ probably none. Riding
> with an earpiece on is almost as irresponsible as whacking someone one the

^^^^^^

> back with a plastic bottle from a moving car. To stay alive on the road

One of them reduces your hearing ability to a level probably
comparable with that inside a modern car with the windows closed (but
even then with significantly less chance of any accident that will
involve injury to anyone other than you).

The other is an assault.

I think you meant "about 3%" where you said "almost" there.

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"

[Not Responding]

May 22, 2004, 4:58:41 PM5/22/04

What utter tripe.

Let me get this straight; a car passenger leans out of a moving car
and hits a person with a bottle and you are *blaming the cyclist*?

So as pedestrians and cyclists we shouldn't listen to the radio? But
it's OK to be distracted when in charge of a tonne of metal at
50mph[1]. Is it now too dangerous for deaf people to walk or cycle? If
so, don't you think we ought to do something about it?

Two points.

1) You'll always hear the cars over the music.
2) When I do hear cars coming up behind me do I take avoiding action
or duck into the gutter? Of course not. I keep on the safe cycling
line. It would make no difference if I didn't hear the cars.

[1] You didn't that but I extrapolated.

MarkK

May 22, 2004, 5:07:45 PM5/22/04
"[Not Responding]" <not_res...@dev.null.invalid> wrote in message

> On Sat, 22 May 2004 21:00:10 +0100, "Dave Chadderton"
> <dave...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>

> >"Simon Mason" <si...@simonmason.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> . As I had my earpiece in
> >> listening to the FA Cup final, she must have been disappointed that I
> >showed
> >> no reaction
> >
> >On a serious note, if you were unable to hear a car full of women what
> >chance you would hear an audible warning............ probably none.
Riding
> >with an earpiece on is almost as irresponsible as whacking someone one
the
> >back with a plastic bottle from a moving car. To stay alive on the road
> >today you need all your senses fully alert, especially with car loads of
> >moronic women whizzing around!
> >

> What utter tripe.

Agreed, especially as Simon said: "sang along to some ghastly R+B bling
bling music". So he obviously could hear over his radio.

Mark

Nick Kew

May 22, 2004, 4:57:39 PM5/22/04
In article <40afb14b$0$17764$cc9e...@news.dial.pipex.com>,

"Dave Chadderton" <dave...@dsl.pipex.com> writes:

> On a serious note, if you were unable to hear a car full of women

Did he say that?

> what
> chance you would hear an audible warning............ probably none. Riding
> with an earpiece on is almost as irresponsible as

So you'd disqualify a deaf person from the pleasure and utility of riding?

Having ridden in a club with a deaf person - for whom it was the highlight
of his week - I'd consider that harsh.

--
Nick Kew

Simon Mason

May 23, 2004, 2:01:34 AM5/23/04
"Dave Chadderton" <dave...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<40afb14b$0

> On a serious note, if you were unable to hear a car full of women what
> chance you would hear an audible warning............ probably none. Riding
> with an earpiece on is almost as irresponsible as whacking someone one the
> back with a plastic bottle from a moving car. To stay alive on the road
> today you need all your senses fully alert, especially with car loads of
> moronic women whizzing around!
>
> Stay alert and stay alive.

Better tell Lance and Herr Schumaker to take theirs out as well. I can
hear better than Merc drivers behind double glazing listening to
Classic FM, in any case if I had no radio or music on, I wouldn't
cycle at all.

--

Simon M.

Simon Mason

May 23, 2004, 11:24:48 AM5/23/04

"Nick Kew" <ni...@hugin.webthing.com> wrote in message
> In article <40afb14b$0$17764$cc9e...@news.dial.pipex.com>,

> So you'd disqualify a deaf person from the pleasure and utility of riding?
>
> Having ridden in a club with a deaf person - for whom it was the highlight
> of his week - I'd consider that harsh.

I hardly ever rely on my hearing, I look behind me over and over again if I
have to turn right or anything. The only time I do use it is when I cross a
dock's lock gates and have to listen for the siren to warn of imminent
opening, on railway unmanned crossings in the countryside and the odd time a
cycle track crosses a road at right angles with the road bending away from
me.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Richard

May 24, 2004, 4:10:39 AM5/24/04
Simon Mason wrote:

> I hardly ever rely on my hearing, I look behind me over and over again if I
> have to turn right or anything. The only time I do use it is when I cross a
> dock's lock gates and have to listen for the siren to warn of imminent
> opening, on railway unmanned crossings in the countryside and the odd time a
> cycle track crosses a road at right angles with the road bending away from
> me.

You want to be careful of that. The vehicle approaching at speed on the
road, very silently, might just be another bike :-)