Ping Simon - European Tour

Tom Crispin

Oct 6, 2015, 8:08:26 AM10/6/15
Hi Simon,

Clare and I are thinking of a 12 month tour of Europe beginning in May 2017. It will be the only chance we have of doing this until after the boys finish school - and I expect that they wouldn't be interested then.

The vague plan is to buy a VW California Beach (if the current scandal subsides), and use it for occasional overnight accommodation, while more typically renting homes for a few days at a time as we travel around Europe.

We would head north for the summer to make the most of long daylight hours: France - Belgium - Holland - Germany - Denmark - Sweden - Norway - Finland, and then south: Estonia - Latvia - Lithuania - Poland - Slovakia - Hungary - Romania - Bulgaria - Greece, for the winter, and then north again: Italy - Sicily - Italy - France - Spain - Portugal - Spain - France and home for the summer of 2018.

We think that the finances for this dream trip are in place. Our five rental flats in SE London would gross £5,850 per month, with agents fees of £350 pm, mortgage interest of £900 pm, and tax of £920, we would have a net monthly income of £3,680. We also have the possibility of letting our main home which would net us an addition £800 after fees, mortgage interest, capital repayments, and tax - so a potential £150 per day.

We would take our tandem on the roof and a Burley trailer for the boys. We would use these as a zero carbon way to explore towns and countryside as we pass through the various countries.

How much would we need to draw on savings for this trip?

Main costs are:
1. Accommodation (self catering 80% camping 20%)
2. Diesel / maintenance / tolls
3. Food (90% of meals from supermarkets 10% of meals in restaurants)
4. Transport, e.g. Igoumenitsa to Bari car ferry
5. Excursions

Tom

Alycidon

Oct 6, 2015, 10:39:33 AM10/6/15
Hi Tom,
Sounds like a dream trip, like you say. Well, we went away for four weeks last June and it cost around £6000; the ferry was £670 and the hotels came to around £3000 plus another £700 on petrol.

We ate in restaurants every night which added another £1200. Looking at your trip, your food and accommodation expenses will be much lower as you are not using hotels and can use the camper in extremis.

We meet a lot of Dutch people who spend all summer long living in the Balkans as they can actually live for less than they do in Netherlands as the fuel is so much cheaper and they can eat local produce, so it shouldn't be that much different for you.

Looking at the mileage, a ball park figure is 8000 miles assuming you take a ferry from Sweden to Finland and another from Finland to Estonia as you will need to avoid Russia. You can work out the fuel costs here:

http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info/

Tolls and vignettes you can work out here.

https://www.tolltickets.com/default.aspx?lang=en-GB

So a quick estimate would be fuel for 8000 miles at 37mpg would be £900, road/bridge tolls and vignettes £200, food at say £30 a day = £11000, accommodation at say average of £10 a day at camp sites/own camper is £3650, ferries UK-FR, SW-FIN, FIN-EST, GR-IT, IT-SIC, SIC-IT, FR-UK would be about £800 ballpark so that comes to around £16550 or £45 a day.

Of course, if you decide to stay at hotels and eat out more often then it will bump up the price somewhat. Anyhow, as long as you don't want the luxury of hotels and restaurants it would be perfectly possible on your budget.

PS - this couple managed it for just under £30 a day, but there were only two of them.

http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/03/touring-europe-for-year-what-does-it.html

Tarcap

Oct 6, 2015, 10:59:02 AM10/6/15

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
Why not just go by bike?
Apparently, it's a perfectly viable form of transport, so we're told.

David Lang

Oct 6, 2015, 2:13:34 PM10/6/15
On 06/10/2015 15:39, Alycidon wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 13:08:26 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> Clare and I are thinking of a 12 month tour of Europe beginning in
May 2017.

No you aren't, you tosser. You are just trying to claim that you are
"considerably more richer than yow".

And it's a pound to a penny that you got together with Simonerd so he
could do the same.

You could have e mailed him directly if you only wanted his opinion.

This wouldn't fool an 8 year old.

What have I told you about cyclists trying to be clever?

Tom Crispin

Oct 6, 2015, 4:21:11 PM10/6/15
On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 3:59:02 PM UTC+1, Tarcap wrote:

> Why not just go by bike?
> Apparently, it's a perfectly viable form of transport, so we're told.

And whoever told you that, told you right. A bike is a perfectly viable form of transport. And 8000 miles in a year by touring bike with fully loaded panniers is perfectly doable by any moderately healthy human. It would be a trip I would love to undertake by bike.

However, for the trip we are planning, a tandem/campervan combination is equally viable, and will allow us to spend more time exploring interesting places and less time travelling between interesting places.

Tom Crispin

Oct 6, 2015, 4:53:58 PM10/6/15
In Scandinavia, the plan is to go as far north as Nordkapp, then south through Finland, crossing to Tallinn from Helsinki.

I had hoped that we would be able to survive on income rather than dip into savings - from your figure of £1,500 per week, and the website you mentioned giving a figure of £210 per week, it looks like we could comfortably manage on our income of about £1000 per week, perhaps adding as much as £30,000 to our savings while we are on holiday.

Tom Crispin

Oct 6, 2015, 5:02:00 PM10/6/15
The plan is genuine enough. Whether or not it will happen is another matter. But this is a once only opportunity.

If we go, I'll try to manage a weekly post to keep you updated.

If you tell me your personal wealth, I will tell you whether or not I am considerably richer than you. Personally I'm not that bothered: I'm just pleased not to be you, whatever your wealth.

David Lang

Oct 6, 2015, 5:12:32 PM10/6/15
On 06/10/2015 22:01, Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 7:13:34 PM UTC+1, David Lang wrote:

>> May 2017.
>>
>> No you aren't, you tosser. You are just trying to claim that you
>> are "considerably more richer than yow".
>>
>> And it's a pound to a penny that you got together with Simonerd so
>> he could do the same.
>>
>> You could have e mailed him directly if you only wanted his
>> opinion.
>>
>> This wouldn't fool an 8 year old.
>>
>> What have I told you about cyclists trying to be clever?
>
> The plan is genuine enough. Whether or not it will happen is another
> matter. But this is a once only opportunity.

Then why didn't you post to Simonerd instead of the NG then?

> If we go, I'll try to manage a weekly post to keep you updated.

Don't bother, I have some drying paint to watch.

> If you tell me your personal wealth, I will tell you whether or not I
> am considerably richer than you. Personally I'm not that bothered:
> I'm just pleased not to be you, whatever your wealth.

I'm very pleased that my zenith of achievement wasn't being a primary
school teacher by my mid forties. Or having to wait till middle age to
find a woman desperate enough to marry me. I'm very pleased that I grew
up and didn't become a cyclist. Or a Boris Johnson lookalike.

Alycidon

Oct 6, 2015, 5:15:44 PM10/6/15
On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 21:53:58 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:
> In Scandinavia, the plan is to go as far north as Nordkapp, then south through Finland, crossing to Tallinn from Helsinki.

That will save you a ferry trip from Sweden to Finland.

> I had hoped that we would be able to survive on income rather like than dip into savings - from your figure of £1,500 per week, and the website you mentioned giving a figure of £210 per week, it looks like we could comfortably manage on our income of about £1000 per week, perhaps adding as much as £30,000 to our savings while we are on holiday.

Yes - you should be able to do it easily. The only snag is if Clare starts hankering for some creature comforts and you start shelling out for hotels and restaurants, in which case you could burn through some serious cash.

If you get used to life on the road though, much like one of the UK traveller community, you might not want to come back at all! As I said, a lot of Dutch people spend months in motorhomes in the Balkans, but they are retired folk and do not have to go back.

Here is our trip for next year as a matter of interest.

Ferry
Reims
Dijon
Lyon
Toulouse
Zaragoza
Madrid
Madrid
Badajoz
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon
Seville
Almeria
Valencia
Barcelona
Andorra La Vella
Andorra La Vella
Marseille
Monaco
Monaco
Parma
Ljubljana
Belgrade
Belgrade
Skopje
Thessaloníki
Tirana
Tirana
Tirana
Kotor
Dubrovnik
Split
Zagreb
Villach
Salzburg
Nuremburg
Nuremburg
Wageningen
Ferry

Alycidon

Oct 6, 2015, 5:35:10 PM10/6/15
On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 21:53:58 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:

> I had hoped that we would be able to survive on income rather than dip into savings - from your figure of £1,500 per week,

My figure was around £315 pw.

David Lang

Oct 6, 2015, 6:06:40 PM10/6/15
On 06/10/2015 21:21, Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 3:59:02 PM UTC+1, Tarcap wrote:
>
>> Why not just go by bike? Apparently, it's a perfectly viable form
>> of transport, so we're told.
>
> And whoever told you that, told you right. A bike is a perfectly
> viable form of transport. And 8000 miles in a year by touring bike
> with fully loaded panniers is perfectly doable by any moderately
> healthy human.

But wouldn't be done my anyone with half a brain.

JNugent

Oct 6, 2015, 6:33:50 PM10/6/15
On 06/10/2015 21:21, Tom Crispin wrote:
Only "equally" viable?

In that case, the clean, green, lean, machine is the no-brainer, isn't it?

Do the trip without directly using any fossil fuel.

And then let us all know how you got on.

JNugent

Oct 6, 2015, 6:35:46 PM10/6/15
That's some trip on a bike.

I'm impressed.

Tom Crispin

Oct 6, 2015, 7:44:54 PM10/6/15
You spent £6000 over 4 weeks;
Adam and Sophie spent £210 per week.

That gives me an upper and lower band.

I would expect it is possible to keep to well under £1000 per week, which would mean doing it without dipping into savings.

Tom Crispin

Oct 6, 2015, 7:47:56 PM10/6/15
On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 10:15:44 PM UTC+1, Alycidon wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 21:53:58 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:
> > In Scandinavia, the plan is to go as far north as Nordkapp, then south through Finland, crossing to Tallinn from Helsinki.
>
> That will save you a ferry trip from Sweden to Finland.
>

> > I had hoped that we would be able to survive on income rather like than dip into savings - from your figure of £1,500 per week, and the website you mentioned giving a figure of £210 per week, it looks like we could comfortably manage on our income of about £1000 per week, perhaps adding as much as £30,000 to our savings while we are on holiday.
>
> Yes - you should be able to do it easily. The only snag is if Clare starts hankering for some creature comforts and you start shelling out for hotels and restaurants, in which case you could burn through some serious cash.

I would expect some comforts from time to time, but like me, Clare quite likes roughing it for a bit.

> If you get used to life on the road though, much like one of the UK traveller community, you might not want to come back at all! As I said, a lot of Dutch people spend months in motorhomes in the Balkans, but they are retired folk and do not have to go back.

Ben will need to start school in September 2018.
Fantastic.

Tom Crispin

Oct 6, 2015, 7:49:57 PM10/6/15
I assume that you, therefore, will not be doing it.

JNugent

Oct 6, 2015, 7:52:11 PM10/6/15
What, £52,000 net, plus whatever it costs to service other commitments
and your home?

That's a tall order.

Tom Crispin

Oct 6, 2015, 7:56:30 PM10/6/15
You are talking to a man who loves long distance cycling:
Tour of Brittany at age 15 with younger brother
Raid Pyrenean in 9 days (camping)
Land's End to Lockerbie
Nancy - Koblenz - Strasbourg - Nancy
Paris to London x 4 (once within 48 hours)
Zurich to Lyons along the Rhone, then Roanne to Nantes along the Loire

A year long tour of Europe would not phase me - but I now have other responsibilities beside myself.

Tom Crispin

Oct 6, 2015, 8:15:21 PM10/6/15
No it isn't. I have already explained how we'd fund the trip:
5 rental flats gross £5,850 per month - net £3,680
Renting our home would gross £2,200 pm - net £800

There are ways I could increase the yield from the rental flats. Currently three of them give me a combined gross income of £88,000 per annum (latest figures) - but I do have high overheads, and my costs would be even higher if I was away and hired a manager.

We would always have the free use of a house on the south coast - in a town called Emsworth - for any emergency (or temporary) return to the UK.

Admittedly, if mortgage rates return to 14.75%, as I was paying in 1990, we'd probably have to tone down our plans. But so long as the base rate remains below 5% we will be fine.

Alycidon

Oct 7, 2015, 3:00:20 AM10/7/15
Oh I see - I thought you meant my estimated figure for you, as MY personal figure was not typical of a trip on a budget as it was a full 4/5* hotels and restaurants job as it was the first holiday since I retired and also a present for my wife who had nursed me back to health after I left hospital.

I too could have done it cheaper by buying food in supermarkets and staying in guest houses.

Alycidon

Oct 7, 2015, 3:07:56 AM10/7/15
On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 00:47:56 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:

> > If you get used to life on the road though, much like one of the UK traveller community, you might not want to come back at all! As I said, a lot of Dutch people spend months in motorhomes in the Balkans, but they are retired folk and do not have to go back.
>
> Ben will need to start school in September 2018.

Since you are a qualified teacher there is the possibilty that you could provide their education on the road - it has been done before (just an idea).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2843104/Teacher-parents-took-children-school-year-long-caravan-tour-UK-no-regrets-ve-chalked-2-600-miles-road.html

Of course there are many downsides to that lifestyle I can think of, but they seem happy enough. Anyhow, you have two years to think it all through.

David Lang

Oct 7, 2015, 3:36:39 AM10/7/15
On 07/10/2015 08:07, Alycidon wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 00:47:56 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:
>

>>> If you get used to life on the road though, much like one of the
>>> UK traveller community, you might not want to come back at all!
>>> As I said, a lot of Dutch people spend months in motorhomes in
>>> the Balkans, but they are retired folk and do not have to go
>>> back.
>>
>> Ben will need to start school in September 2018.

> Since you are a qualified teacher there is the possibilty that you
> could provide their education on the road - it has been done before
> (just an idea).

He wants them to have a proper education.

David Lang

Oct 7, 2015, 3:38:27 AM10/7/15
Not for Crispin. He is considerably more richer than yow.

Mrcheerful

Oct 7, 2015, 4:34:24 AM10/7/15
How would he (practically) get across the water without using fossil fuel?

Mrcheerful

Oct 7, 2015, 4:35:22 AM10/7/15
On 07/10/2015 00:52, JNugent wrote:
The squatters will have a field day.

Bod

Oct 7, 2015, 4:37:50 AM10/7/15
An amphibious bicycle, of course.

Tom Crispin

Oct 7, 2015, 4:52:55 AM10/7/15

Peter Keller

Oct 7, 2015, 4:55:17 AM10/7/15
On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 22:12:35 +0100, David Lang wrote:

> I grew
> up and didn't become a cyclist.

Thank God I did not grow up and became a bicyclist.
I certainly do NOT want to be that Dave fink!

Tom Crispin

Oct 7, 2015, 4:55:36 AM10/7/15
I have taught a few children who were previously home schooled. They have generally been well-balanced individuals. And I don't suppose missing a year of school, up to Age 11 would make a huge difference. However, we will continue with the current plan, and avoid any possible conflict with grandparents.

Peter Keller

Oct 7, 2015, 4:57:05 AM10/7/15
On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 23:06:43 +0100, David Lang wrote:

> But wouldn't be done my anyone with half a brain.

Thank God I don't have half a brain (Dave's definition!)
I certainly do NOT want to be like that Dave fink.

Nick

Oct 7, 2015, 5:54:14 AM10/7/15
On 07/10/2015 09:34, Mrcheerful wrote:

>> Do the trip without directly using any fossil fuel.
>>
>> And then let us all know how you got on.
>
> How would he (practically) get across the water without using fossil fuel?

Channel Tunnel, electrified rail, powered by Dungeness B.

Obviously electricity isn't allocated in that way but in principal it is
possible.

Nick

Oct 7, 2015, 6:03:02 AM10/7/15
Yes of course there isn't evidence that time out of school for holidays
hurts children but the government and schools still pursue a policy of
punishing parents for a beneficial holiday activity. Just like they
punish parents for being late in the morning but make no effort to let
the children out promptly in the afternoon. Dealing with late children
in the morning causes no real problem, at worst one teacher can deal
with them all, but in the evening every child's parent has to waste time
waiting.

I hope you're saving up for private school as the state secondary
schools in your area are crap.

Tarcap

Oct 7, 2015, 7:12:11 AM10/7/15

"Peter Keller" wrote in message news:mv2ml4$vgh$3...@dont-email.me...

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 23:06:43 +0100, David Lang wrote:

> But wouldn't be done my anyone with half a brain.

Thank God I don't even have half a brain (Dave's definition!)
I certainly do NOT want to be like that Dave fink.

Corrected.

Kerr Mudd-John

Oct 7, 2015, 7:13:35 AM10/7/15
On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 22:15:42 +0100, Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:
[]

> Salzburg
> Nuremburg
> Nuremburg
> Wageningen
> Ferry

I highly recommend Bamberg as an alternative to Nurnburg

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Alycidon

Oct 7, 2015, 7:23:00 AM10/7/15
On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 12:13:35 UTC+1, Kerr Mudd-John wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 22:15:42 +0100, Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:
> []
>
> > Salzburg
> > Nuremburg
> > Nuremburg
> > Wageningen
> > Ferry
>
> I highly recommend Bamberg as an alternative to Nurnburg

We've been there three times before - we are going back to Nurnburg as last year we broke down on the autobahn and stayed there for longer than we planned, so it has a special place for us now. Regensburg is also a good choice.

JNugent

Oct 7, 2015, 7:25:20 AM10/7/15
Would this be £52,000+ that you have decided to splurge on?

If so, fair enough. We all have our passions.

But you did say at one stage that you expected to do it out of
(perforce, net) income.

JNugent

Oct 7, 2015, 7:26:01 AM10/7/15
We shall see.

I expect.

One way or the other.

JNugent

Oct 7, 2015, 8:48:20 AM10/7/15
As a matter of interest, does the Channel Tunnel get its supply from the
UK grid (and/or the French equivalent)?

I don't know the answer to that, but I'd be surprised if the Tunnel was
subject to allocation decisions made by others.

David Lang

Oct 7, 2015, 9:45:50 AM10/7/15
Just discovered this e-mail via a contact in GHCQ.

On 04/10/2015 13:08, Tom Crispin wrote:

Hi Simon

I don't know about you, but I'm getting really upset about those nasty
people on the cycling group. They keep laughing at me and making me look
stupid. Sometimes they make me cry.

I've come up with a spiffing plan to get my own back. I'm going to
pretend that I'm going on a big holiday, so I can boast about having
lots & lots of money - just like you do.

If you could reply and play along, that would really fool them all and
make them jealous.

Tom

On 05/10/2015 15:39, Alycidon wrote:

Hi Tom

They are nasty people, they keep making me look silly as well. I just
try to ignore them and pretend to have a magic kill file.

That's a really clever plan. We could both pretend we are rich. I'll
make up some stuff for the reply. I'm sure I can find some things on
Wikipedia to make it realistic.

Simon

Now we know the truth.

Tarcap

Oct 7, 2015, 11:44:03 AM10/7/15

"David Lang" wrote in message news:gm9Rx.55123$Qp4....@fx10.am4...
ROFLMAO

Tom Crispin

Oct 7, 2015, 12:24:10 PM10/7/15
Yes - it made me laugh too. But perhaps for different reasons.

Our friend Mr Lang really does have some serious insecurity issues. And that is no laughing matter.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Oct 7, 2015, 12:45:14 PM10/7/15

"Tom Crispin" <t...@britsc.com> wrote in message
I very much doubt that Mr Lang is your friend.
He thinks that you are a pillock as do most of the people here.

David Lang

Oct 7, 2015, 1:07:18 PM10/7/15
Nice try, no cigar. Is that the best you can do? Pathetic.

David Lang

Oct 7, 2015, 1:08:15 PM10/7/15
I don't think he's a pillock. I know he's a pillock.

JNugent

Oct 7, 2015, 5:26:36 PM10/7/15
On 07/10/2015 17:45, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Come on... there's no need for that.

We can disagree - even profoundly - without being enemies.

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:13:00 PM10/7/15
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 05:08:24 -0700 (PDT), Tom Crispin <t...@britsc.com> wrote:

>Hi Simon,

ffs - Crispin as daft as ever: he's never heard of email.

Looking forward to Mason's views on the best Vindaloo restaurants in European
main cities; perhaps the benefits of having your car serviced before a holiday
- and don't forget to carry spare wiper blades.

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:19:41 PM10/7/15
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 14:15:42 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Here is our trip for next year as a matter of interest.
>
>Ferry
>Reims
>Dijon
>Lyon
>Toulouse
>Zaragoza
>Madrid
>Madrid
>Badajoz
>Lisbon
>Lisbon
>Lisbon
>Seville
>Almeria
>Valencia
>Barcelona
>Andorra La Vella
>Andorra La Vella
>Marseille
>Monaco
>Monaco
>Parma
>Ljubljana
>Belgrade
>Belgrade
>Skopje
>Thessaloníki
>Tirana
>Tirana
>Tirana
>Kotor
>Dubrovnik
>Split
>Zagreb
>Villach
>Salzburg
>Nuremburg
>Nuremburg
>Wageningen
>Ferry

A matter of interest?

Are you going all that way on your push-bike?

You've forgotten to tell us how much it will cost.

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:21:11 PM10/7/15
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 16:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Tom Crispin <t...@britsc.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Fantastic.

Now then Crispin: still fantasying about vaginas sliding down wind screens?

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:22:55 PM10/7/15
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 12:13:36 +0100, "Kerr Mudd-John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 22:15:42 +0100, Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:
>[]
>
>> Salzburg
>> Nuremburg
>> Nuremburg
>> Wageningen
>> Ferry
>
>I highly recommend Bamberg as an alternative to Nurnburg

I highly recommend a car as an alternative to a push-bike

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:24:30 PM10/7/15
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 14:35:08 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 21:53:58 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:
>

>> I had hoped that we would be able to survive on income rather than dip into savings - from your figure of £1,500 per week,
>
>My figure was around £315 pw.

That'll be OK - Crispin has slightly less than that as income - so it should be
fine.

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:26:46 PM10/7/15
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 16:44:53 -0700 (PDT), Tom Crispin <t...@britsc.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 10:35:10 PM UTC+1, Alycidon wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 21:53:58 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:
>>

>> > I had hoped that we would be able to survive on income rather than dip into savings - from your figure of £1,500 per week,
>>
>> My figure was around £315 pw.
>
>You spent £6000 over 4 weeks;
>Adam and Sophie spent £210 per week.
>
>That gives me an upper and lower band.
>
>I would expect it is possible to keep to well under £1000 per week, which would mean doing it without dipping into savings.

Well done Crispin: still the wanker of old.

You really have so much money these days.

The only two people in urc to tell people how well off they are?

Crispin and Mason.

Utter tossers - and we all believe you both and are so envious.

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 7, 2015, 6:27:50 PM10/7/15
On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 23:35:37 +0100, JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 06/10/2015 22:15, Alycidon wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 21:53:58 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:
>>> In Scandinavia, the plan is to go as far north as Nordkapp, then south through Finland, crossing to Tallinn from Helsinki.
>>
>> That will save you a ferry trip from Sweden to Finland.
>>

>>> I had hoped that we would be able to survive on income rather like than dip into savings - from your figure of £1,500 per week, and the website you mentioned giving a figure of £210 per week, it looks like we could comfortably manage on our income of about £1000 per week, perhaps adding as much as £30,000 to our savings while we are on holiday.
>>
>> Yes - you should be able to do it easily. The only snag is if Clare starts hankering for some creature comforts and you start shelling out for hotels and restaurants, in which case you could burn through some serious cash.
>>
>> If you get used to life on the road though, much like one of the UK traveller community, you might not want to come back at all! As I said, a lot of Dutch people spend months in motorhomes in the Balkans, but they are retired folk and do not have to go back.
>>
>> Salzburg
>> Nuremburg
>> Nuremburg
>> Wageningen
>> Ferry
>
> That's some trip on a bike.
>
> I'm impressed.

I'm guessing he's cheating and using motorised transport. That's just wrong.

--
Two cowboys are talking over a beer, discussing various sex positions.
The first cowboy says his favorite position is "the rodeo".

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 7, 2015, 6:28:14 PM10/7/15
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 00:47:55 +0100, Tom Crispin <t...@britsc.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 10:15:44 PM UTC+1, Alycidon wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 21:53:58 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:
>> > In Scandinavia, the plan is to go as far north as Nordkapp, then south through Finland, crossing to Tallinn from Helsinki.
>>
>> That will save you a ferry trip from Sweden to Finland.
>>

>> > I had hoped that we would be able to survive on income rather like than dip into savings - from your figure of £1,500 per week, and the website you mentioned giving a figure of £210 per week, it looks like we could comfortably manage on our income of about £1000 per week, perhaps adding as much as £30,000 to our savings while we are on holiday.
>>
>> Yes - you should be able to do it easily. The only snag is if Clare starts hankering for some creature comforts and you start shelling out for hotels and restaurants, in which case you could burn through some serious cash.
>
> I would expect some comforts from time to time, but like me, Clare quite likes roughing it for a bit.
>
>> If you get used to life on the road though, much like one of the UK traveller community, you might not want to come back at all! As I said, a lot of Dutch people spend months in motorhomes in the Balkans, but they are retired folk and do not have to go back.
>
> Ben will need to start school in September 2018.

Nobody NEEDS to start school.

--
An airliner was having engine trouble, and the pilot instructed the cabin crew to have the passengers take their seats and get prepared for an emergency landing.
A few minutes later, the pilot asked the flight attendants if everyone was buckled in and ready.

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 7, 2015, 6:28:38 PM10/7/15
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 08:36:43 +0100, David Lang <davi...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Ben will need to start school in September 2018.
>
>> Since you are a qualified teacher there is the possibilty that you
>> could provide their education on the road - it has been done before
>> (just an idea).
>
> He wants them to have a proper education.

How would being a qualified teacher not give them a proper education?

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:28:45 PM10/7/15
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 00:52:01 +0100, JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On 07/10/2015 00:44, Tom Crispin wrote:

>>> My figure was around £315 pw.
>>
>> You spent £6000 over 4 weeks;
>> Adam and Sophie spent £210 per week.
>>
>> That gives me an upper and lower band.
>>
>> I would expect it is possible to keep to well under £1000 per week, which would mean doing it without dipping into savings.
>
>What, £52,000 net, plus whatever it costs to service other commitments
>and your home?
>
>That's a tall order.

Don't forget - he is so much better off than you - but perhaps not as well off
as Mason. I'm sure we will receive the clarification we are all waiting for.

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 7, 2015, 6:29:32 PM10/7/15
How would that happen? Was there a drive through nudist camp gone wrong?

--
Artificial intelligence is always better than real stupidity.

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 7, 2015, 6:30:07 PM10/7/15
Nothing, cycling is free.

--
Make like a post-it note and stick around....

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:30:39 PM10/7/15
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 12:25:50 +0100, JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

<snip>

>We shall see.
>
>I expect.
>
>One way or the other.

I'm really, really envious - aren't you?

(I remember now why people used to say that Crispin was a wanker)

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 7, 2015, 6:32:14 PM10/7/15
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 10:54:04 +0100, Nick <Nick...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 07/10/2015 09:34, Mrcheerful wrote:
>

>>> Do the trip without directly using any fossil fuel.
>>>
>>> And then let us all know how you got on.
>>
>> How would he (practically) get across the water without using fossil fuel?
>
> Channel Tunnel, electrified rail, powered by Dungeness B.
>
> Obviously electricity isn't allocated in that way but in principal it is
> possible.

Some Electricity Boards allow you to choose where your power comes from.
[Cue the idiots that say you can't do that as we're all interconnected]

--
The state of Texas has executed yet another inmate. But Unforeseen legal issues have arisen. The state has killed so many people this year, it must now register as a tobacco company.

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 7, 2015, 6:32:49 PM10/7/15
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 00:52:01 +0100, JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 07/10/2015 00:44, Tom Crispin wrote:

>>> My figure was around £315 pw.
>>
>> You spent £6000 over 4 weeks;
>> Adam and Sophie spent £210 per week.
>>
>> That gives me an upper and lower band.
>>
>> I would expect it is possible to keep to well under £1000 per week, which would mean doing it without dipping into savings.
>
> What, £52,000 net, plus whatever it costs to service other commitments
> and your home?
>
> That's a tall order.

And a fucking ridiculous amount to spend on a holiday.

--
Hickory dickory dock, three mice ran up the clock. The clock struck one, and the others got away with minor injuries.

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:33:17 PM10/7/15
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 00:00:15 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 00:44:54 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:

>> > My figure was around £315 pw.
>>
>> You spent £6000 over 4 weeks;
>> Adam and Sophie spent £210 per week.
>>
>> That gives me an upper and lower band.
>>
>> I would expect it is possible to keep to well under £1000 per week, which would mean doing it without dipping into savings.
>
>Oh I see - I thought you meant my estimated figure for you, as MY personal figure was not typical of a trip on a budget as it was a full 4/5* hotels and restaurants job

Crikey - that must have cost you a packet. I am so, so envious.

Were the restaurants all local haute cuisine - or did you manage to find a
Vindaloo every night?

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 7, 2015, 6:34:31 PM10/7/15
What would be the point in that?

--
Barry bit Ben's bum before Betty bumfingered big Bertha's buttocks beside Brian's burning bonfire. -- Ronnie Tompkins, circa 2014.

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 7, 2015, 6:35:20 PM10/7/15
Knowing Simon we're about to be subjected to red triangles, hivis jackets and all that other shite that nobody bothers taking with them.

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:35:22 PM10/7/15
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 23:06:43 +0100, David Lang <davi...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 06/10/2015 21:21, Tom Crispin wrote:
>> On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 3:59:02 PM UTC+1, Tarcap wrote:
>>
>>> Why not just go by bike? Apparently, it's a perfectly viable form
>>> of transport, so we're told.
>>
>> And whoever told you that, told you right. A bike is a perfectly
>> viable form of transport. And 8000 miles in a year by touring bike
>> with fully loaded panniers is perfectly doable by any moderately
>> healthy human.
>
>But wouldn't be done my anyone with half a brain.

Yes - but having loads, and loads of money like Mason and Crispin (and we are
all so interested in that of course) makes up for them being stupid.

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:37:40 PM10/7/15
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 16:56:28 -0700 (PDT), Tom Crispin <t...@britsc.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Tour of Brittany at age 15 with younger brother
>Raid Pyrenean in 9 days (camping)
>Land's End to Lockerbie
>Nancy - Koblenz - Strasbourg - Nancy
>Paris to London x 4 (once within 48 hours)
>Zurich to Lyons along the Rhone, then Roanne to Nantes along the Loire

Crikey - I am really, really impressed.

(Mason will be telling us how he cycled "non-stop" from Lands-end to Hull in a
minute)

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:39:06 PM10/7/15
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 09:34:19 +0100, Mrcheerful <g.odon...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 06/10/2015 23:33, JNugent wrote:

>>> And whoever told you that, told you right. A bike is a perfectly
>>> viable form of transport. And 8000 miles in a year by touring bike
>>> with fully loaded panniers is perfectly doable by any moderately
>>> healthy human. It would be a trip I would love to undertake by bike.
>>>
>>> However, for the trip we are planning, a tandem/campervan combination
>>> is equally viable, and will allow us to spend more time exploring
>>> interesting places and less time travelling between interesting places.
>>
>> Only "equally" viable?
>>
>> In that case, the clean, green, lean, machine is the no-brainer, isn't it?
>>
>> Do the trip without directly using any fossil fuel.
>>
>> And then let us all know how you got on.
>
>How would he (practically) get across the water without using fossil fuel?

Don't be silly: he is a super fit cyclist and could easily swim across the
channel. (Unless he is the fat bastard he used to be of course)

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:40:25 PM10/7/15
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 14:45:54 +0100, David Lang <davi...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>Just discovered this e-mail via a contact in GHCQ.

>On 04/10/2015 13:08, Tom Crispin wrote:
>
>Hi Simon
>
>I don't know about you, but I'm getting really upset about those nasty
>people on the cycling group. They keep laughing at me and making me look
>stupid. Sometimes they make me cry.
>
>I've come up with a spiffing plan to get my own back. I'm going to
>pretend that I'm going on a big holiday, so I can boast about having
>lots & lots of money - just like you do.
>
>If you could reply and play along, that would really fool them all and
>make them jealous.
>
>Tom
>
>On 05/10/2015 15:39, Alycidon wrote:
>
>Hi Tom
>
>They are nasty people, they keep making me look silly as well. I just
>try to ignore them and pretend to have a magic kill file.
>
>That's a really clever plan. We could both pretend we are rich. I'll
>make up some stuff for the reply. I'm sure I can find some things on
>Wikipedia to make it realistic.
>
>Simon

>Now we know the truth.

Wicked !!

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:42:52 PM10/7/15
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 09:24:04 -0700 (PDT), Tom Crispin <t...@britsc.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Our friend Mr Lang really does have some serious insecurity issues. And that is no laughing matter.

At least he has social skills and does not have to tell us how affluent he is
like you and Numb-nuts seem the need to do.

But we all believe you - honest.

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:45:40 PM10/7/15
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 19:13:38 +0100, David Lang <davi...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 06/10/2015 15:39, Alycidon wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 13:08:26 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:
>>> Hi Simon,
>>>
>>> Clare and I are thinking of a 12 month tour of Europe beginning in
>May 2017.
>
>No you aren't, you tosser. You are just trying to claim that you are
>"considerably more richer than yow".
>
>And it's a pound to a penny that you got together with Simonerd so he
>could do the same.
>
>You could have e mailed him directly if you only wanted his opinion.
>
>This wouldn't fool an 8 year old.
>
>What have I told you about cyclists trying to be clever?

I recall how thick he used to be when he posted here in the past. He was good
value though.

He'll be sharing his fantasy of a vagina sliding down a windscreen anytime now.

I hope no-one finds the old posts and sends them to his missus.

Judith

Oct 7, 2015, 6:47:33 PM10/7/15
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 14:01:58 -0700 (PDT), Tom Crispin <t...@britsc.com> wrote:

<snip>

>If we go, I'll try to manage a weekly post to keep you updated.

ffs - no thanks

>If you tell me your personal wealth, I will tell you whether or not I am considerably richer than you.

Oh dear - oh dear: you really are a wanker Crispin.

Tom Crispin

Oct 7, 2015, 7:44:22 PM10/7/15
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 12:25:20 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> On 07/10/2015 00:56, Tom Crispin wrote:

> >> Only "equally" viable?
> >>
> >> In that case, the clean, green, lean, machine is the no-brainer, isn't it?
> >>
> >> Do the trip without directly using any fossil fuel.
> >>
> >> And then let us all know how you got on.
> >
> > You are talking to a man who loves long distance cycling:
> > Tour of Brittany at age 15 with younger brother
> > Raid Pyrenean in 9 days (camping)
> > Land's End to Lockerbie
> > Nancy - Koblenz - Strasbourg - Nancy
> > Paris to London x 4 (once within 48 hours)
> > Zurich to Lyons along the Rhone, then Roanne to Nantes along the Loire
> >
> > A year long tour of Europe would not phase me - but I now have other responsibilities beside myself.

A year long tour of Europe [by bicycle] would not phase me - but I now have other responsibilities beside myself.

The "by bicycle" bit you should have gleaned by context.

> Would this be £52,000+ that you have decided to splurge on?
>
> If so, fair enough. We all have our passions.
>
> But you did say at one stage that you expected to do it out of
> (perforce, net) income.

Your sentence above contains a delightful oxymoron: expected and perforce.

And if you were really following this thread, you would know that the figure is £11,000+, not £52,000+. The £52,000+ figure is likely to be our annual net income for that year if we choose to rent out our home.

Realistically, I think we would spend £30,000 - £40,000. £100 per day seems adequate.

And then there's the cost of the van - which is where you might be able to advise.

We currently drive a 2012, 7 seat mini-mpv. We are considering the VW California Beach 2.0 Tdi 140ps with a 3 seat bench which converts into a 150 x 200 double bed. We would also probably buy two optional seats that convert into group 2/3 child seats so that when we return home we have a 7 seat MPV. Is a van a viable option as a family vehicle as children grow from the age 3/4 to 10/11?

JNugent

Oct 7, 2015, 7:57:43 PM10/7/15
Not in context. They are not not used in the same phrase (the same
clause, yes, but not the same phrase). The "perforce" serves to limit
the term "net income" (as opposed to gross income or income + savings).

> And if you were really following this thread, you would know that the figure is £11,000+, not £52,000+. The £52,000+ figure is likely to be our annual net income for that year if we choose to rent out our home.

I can't remember all the snipped figures, but I got that £52,000 from
somewhere. I certainly didn't make it up.

> Realistically, I think we would spend £30,000 - £40,000. £100 per day seems adequate.

More than £11,000, then?

> And then there's the cost of the van - which is where you might be able to advise.
> We currently drive a 2012, 7 seat mini-mpv. We are considering the VW California Beach 2.0 Tdi 140ps with a 3 seat bench which converts into a 150 x 200 double bed. We would also probably buy two optional seats that convert into group 2/3 child seats so that when we return home we have a 7 seat MPV. Is a van a viable option as a family vehicle as children grow from the age 3/4 to 10/11?

Sorry... can't help (I'd try if I thought I could). Never did the camper
van thing.

I buy a new car every six years or so and run it into the ground. As
long as it is serviceable and safe (let's not argue about whether
"serviceable" subsumes "safe"), that's about as far as my interest in
the physical reality of cars goes.

Judith

Oct 8, 2015, 4:05:27 AM10/8/15
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 23:29:26 +0100, "Tough Guy no. 1265" <n...@spam.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 23:21:12 +0100, Judith <jmsmi...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 16:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Tom Crispin <t...@britsc.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> Fantastic.
>>

>> Now then Crispin: still fantasying about vaginas sliding down wind screens?
>
>How would that happen? Was there a drive through nudist camp gone wrong?

I don't know: Crispin was describing his thoughts - I think it may have been
wishful thinking and a vivid dirty imagination.

Judith

Oct 8, 2015, 4:06:08 AM10/8/15
I'm sorry about this : but did you not know that Mr Crispin was a fully
qualified teacher and hence an expert in English - so I fear you may be wrong.

Tom Crispin

Oct 8, 2015, 4:06:43 AM10/8/15
On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 12:57:43 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

[Snip]

> >> But you did say at one stage that you expected to do it out of
> >> (perforce, net) income.
> >
> > Your sentence above contains a delightful oxymoron: expected and perforce.
>
> Not in context. They are not not used in the same phrase (the same
> clause, yes, but not the same phrase). The "perforce" serves to limit
> the term "net income" (as opposed to gross income or income + savings).
>
> > And if you were really following this thread, you would know that the figure is £11,000+, not £52,000+. The £52,000+ figure is likely to be our annual net income for that year if we choose to rent out our home.
>
> I can't remember all the snipped figures, but I got that £52,000 from
> somewhere. I certainly didn't make it up.

The £52,000 came from my expectation of the cost being less than £1000 per week, which I said is less than my expected weekly net income for the year.

> > Realistically, I think we would spend £30,000 - £40,000. £100 per day seems adequate.
>
> More than £11,000, then?

Yes - I'd already declared the upper and lower bands: £11,000 < [one year touring Europe] < £72,000.

The £11,000 comes from a couple who spent that much on a year's camper van tour keeping to a tight budget. The £72,000 comes from Simon's retirement tour staying in 4/5* hotels which cost him £6,000 for a month.

The average of the two is £41,500, which would bring in the welcome prospect of being able to save money while holidaying (though if the depreciation on the van is considered, this saving evaporates, at least partially).

> > And then there's the cost of the van - which is where you might be able to advise.
> > We currently drive a 2012, 7 seat mini-mpv. We are considering the VW California Beach 2.0 Tdi 140ps with a 3 seat bench which converts into a 150 x 200 double bed. We would also probably buy two optional seats that convert into group 2/3 child seats so that when we return home we have a 7 seat MPV. Is a van a viable option as a family vehicle as children grow from the age 3/4 to 10/11?
>
> Sorry... can't help (I'd try if I thought I could). Never did the camper
> van thing.

Fair enough.

> I buy a new car every six years or so and run it into the ground. As
> long as it is serviceable and safe (let's not argue about whether
> "serviceable" subsumes "safe"), that's about as far as my interest in
> the physical reality of cars goes.

That is just about how I view cars too. Buy at 2-3 years old, and keep for 6/7 years, though it looks like we'll be selling our current car after just 3/4 years. It is only my 4th ever car and Clare's 3rd.

Peter Keller

Oct 8, 2015, 4:44:07 AM10/8/15
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 12:12:06 +0100, Tarcap wrote:

Thank God I don't have half a brain (Dave's definition!)
I certainly do NOT want to be like that Dave fink.

> Thank God I don't even have half a brain (Dave's definition!)
> I certainly do NOT want to be like that Dave fink.
>
> Corrected.

Fucking heck!
Your lack of brain shows in your not making your own posts.
And I will continue using my bicycle as a very delightful economical
convenient viable means of transport for many things.

Peter Keller

Oct 8, 2015, 4:46:35 AM10/8/15
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 12:12:06 +0100, Tarcap wrote:

> don't even have half a brain

Thank you very much grand squelch for that excellent commendation!
Now please fart to me from you the further honour of being a malformity.
Please?

Tom Crispin

Oct 8, 2015, 5:52:44 AM10/8/15
On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 12:57:43 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

[Snip]

> >> But you did say at one stage that you expected to do it out of
> >> (perforce, net) income.
> >
> > Your sentence above contains a delightful oxymoron: expected and perforce.
>
> Not in context. They are not not used in the same phrase (the same
> clause, yes, but not the same phrase). The "perforce" serves to limit
> the term "net income" (as opposed to gross income or income + savings).

I disagree. Both "expected" and "perforce" refer to the same thing: "net income".

Tarcap

Oct 8, 2015, 6:34:35 AM10/8/15

"Peter Keller" wrote in message news:mv5a8q$c9n$5...@dont-email.me...

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 12:12:06 +0100, Tarcap wrote:

Thank God I don't have half a brain (Dave's definition!)
I certainly do NOT want to be like that Dave fink.

> Thank God I don't even have half a brain (Dave's definition!)
> I certainly do NOT want to be like that Dave fink.
>
> Corrected.

Fucking heck!

And I will continue using my lack of brain

There you go again.

Tarcap

Oct 8, 2015, 6:35:25 AM10/8/15

"Peter Keller" wrote in message news:mv5adf$c9n$6...@dont-email.me...

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 12:12:06 +0100, Tarcap wrote:

> don't even have half a brain

me being a malformity.

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 8, 2015, 8:48:05 AM10/8/15
I'm now imagining what would have happened had he turned on the windscreen wipers.

--
Statistics show that 25% of all women are on medication for mental illness.
That's scary! It means 75% are running around with no bloody medication at all!!!

Kerr Mudd-John

Oct 8, 2015, 4:24:48 PM10/8/15
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 23:22:53 +0100, Judith <jmsmi...@hotmail.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 12:13:36 +0100, "Kerr Mudd-John" <ad...@127.0.0.1>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 22:15:42 +0100, Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> []
>>
>>> Salzburg
>>> Nuremburg
>>> Nuremburg
>>> Wageningen
>>> Ferry
>>
>> I highly recommend Bamberg as an alternative to Nurnburg
>

> I highly recommend a car as an alternative to a push-bike

You are, as always, in the wrong (group). Why not go back to the legal
group, or have they hounded you out?

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

JNugent

Oct 8, 2015, 6:12:06 PM10/8/15
On 07/10/2015 23:35, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 23:13:01 +0100, Judith <jmsmi...@hotmail.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 05:08:24 -0700 (PDT), Tom Crispin <t...@britsc.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Simon,
>>

>> ffs - Crispin as daft as ever: he's never heard of email.
>>
>> Looking forward to Mason's views on the best Vindaloo restaurants in
>> European
>> main cities; perhaps the benefits of having your car serviced before a
>> holiday
>> - and don't forget to carry spare wiper blades.
>
> Knowing Simon we're about to be subjected to red triangles, hivis
> jackets and all that other shite that nobody bothers taking with them.

Get them if you're going to France. Otherwise you could be sorry.

They're only a quid each at Poundland and the quality isn't important
since you'll never have to use them.

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 8, 2015, 6:16:50 PM10/8/15
No, why the fuck should I follow their stupid rules? Never have and never will, they don't check anyway.

--
Just got back from my mate's funeral. He died after being hit on the head with a tennis ball. It was a lovely service.

JNugent

Oct 8, 2015, 6:18:25 PM10/8/15
No, no, no.

As used in the sentence, the word "expected" is a temporal (tense)
limitation of the planned journey (referred to within the sentence as
"it"). It places the journey in the future but firms it up as being
within your robust intentions.

The word "perforce" limits only the phrase "net income".

As I said, the words are not even in the same phrase.

JNugent

Oct 8, 2015, 6:19:56 PM10/8/15
On 08/10/2015 23:16, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 23:12:03 +0100, JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/10/2015 23:35, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

>>> Knowing Simon we're about to be subjected to red triangles, hivis
>>> jackets and all that other shite that nobody bothers taking with them.
>>
>> Get them if you're going to France. Otherwise you could be sorry.
>>
>> They're only a quid each at Poundland and the quality isn't important
>> since you'll never have to use them.
>
> No, why the fuck should I follow their stupid rules? Never have and
> never will, they don't check anyway.

They don't check everyone, that much is true.

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 8, 2015, 6:24:42 PM10/8/15
What makes them think UK laws are wrong? After all we don't have to carry such pansy things.

And I doubt they check very many people at all, there must be much higher things on their list of priorities.

--
A redhead tells her blonde stepsister, "I slept with a Brazilian...." The blonde replies, "Oh my God! You slut! How many is a brazilian?"

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 8, 2015, 6:25:04 PM10/8/15
Just don't bring a radar detector, those they hate :-)

Alycidon

Oct 9, 2015, 2:30:53 AM10/9/15
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 23:25:04 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

> Just don't bring a radar detector, those they hate :-)

I will have to turn off the speed camera warning function in France and the dashcam in Portugal on my Nuvicam.

Tom Crispin

Oct 9, 2015, 4:26:17 AM10/9/15
On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 11:19:56 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> On 08/10/2015 23:16, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
> > On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 23:12:03 +0100, JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm>
> > wrote:

> >> Get them if you're going to France. Otherwise you could be sorry.
> >>
> >> They're only a quid each at Poundland and the quality isn't important
> >> since you'll never have to use them.
> >
> > No, why the fuck should I follow their stupid rules? Never have and
> > never will, they don't check anyway.
>
> They don't check everyone, that much is true.

I was pulled over in Slovenia - it seems that they just wanted to practice their English. They asked for my registration document (which I didn't have) so I pointed out my Vehicle Emissions Duty disc to them, and they accepted that. They also wanted to see my drivers' licence, which I couldn't find at the time (it was in the pocket of my fleece), but they weren't particularly bothered. They also told me that my lights should be on - I pointed out that they were. They let us go.

As I say, it seems that they just wanted to practice their English.

Hi-vis jackets (which we had) they didn't check - or a red triangle. I think that red triangles are supplied as standard in German cars (as are devices to pretend they are not gassing everyone... History repeating itself?)

Peter Keller

Oct 9, 2015, 5:12:47 AM10/9/15
Thanks for clearing that up.
And I did not have to change your post.

Judith

Oct 9, 2015, 5:32:29 AM10/9/15
I would say that the teacher has been taught

Judith

Oct 9, 2015, 5:37:31 AM10/9/15
On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 23:16:48 +0100, "Tough Guy no. 1265" <n...@spam.com> wrote:

<snip>

>No, why the fuck should I follow their stupid rules? Never have and never will, they don't check anyway.

Looking forward to you breaking down and being done for having no red triangle.

You should argue with them (in your best French of course), just like you do
here - and see how far that gets you.

You may get a free trip round the Bastille - ( if it's still in use. )

(I guess the French for fuckwit is fuckwit - so you may hear the word)

Alycidon

Oct 9, 2015, 5:39:53 AM10/9/15
On Friday, 9 October 2015 09:26:17 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:

> I was pulled over in Slovenia - it seems that they just wanted to practice their English. They asked for my registration document (which I didn't have) so I pointed out my Vehicle Emissions Duty disc to them, and they accepted that. They also wanted to see my drivers' licence, which I couldn't find at the time (it was in the pocket of my fleece), but they weren't particularly bothered. They also told me that my lights should be on - I pointed out that they were. They let us go.
>
> As I say, it seems that they just wanted to practice their English.
>
> Hi-vis jackets (which we had) they didn't check - or a red triangle. I think that red triangles are supplied as standard in German cars (as are devices to pretend they are not gassing everyone... History repeating itself?)

I have been stopped in Bosnia and Hungary for not having full dipped headlights on, my licence has been checked in Estonia and I have had random stops in Hungary and Germany for boot contents checks.

That is it.

Border checks however have sometimes been more rigorous though.

Tom Crispin

Oct 9, 2015, 5:49:14 AM10/9/15
That is irrelevant: two phases, if referring to the the same thing, can be an oxymoron: "One bright morning in the middle of the night,
Two dead boys got up to fight.
Back-to-back they faced one another,
Drew their swords and shot each other.
One was blind and the other couldn't see,
So they chose a dummy for a referee.
A blind man went to see fair play,
A dumb man went to shout "hooray!"
A deaf policeman heard the noise,
And came and killed those two dead boys.
A paralysed donkey walking by,
Kicked the copper in the eye,
Sent him through a rubber wall,
Into a dry ditch and drowned them all.
(If you don't believe this lie is true,
Ask the blind man -- he saw it too!)."

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 9, 2015, 5:54:56 AM10/9/15
What is a "Vehicle Emissions Duty Disk"? What is your home country?

--
Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?

Tough Guy no. 1265

Oct 9, 2015, 5:56:09 AM10/9/15
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:37:33 +0100, Judith <jmsmi...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 23:16:48 +0100, "Tough Guy no. 1265" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> No, why the fuck should I follow their stupid rules? Never have and never will, they don't check anyway.
>

> Looking forward to you breaking down and being done for having no red triangle.

Why expect the unlikely? If I break down there'd be a recovery vehicle with big orange lights there anyway. People also normally break down somewhere quiet. Cars usually give indications they are about to fail, or fail when you try to start them.

--
There's a word you are misunderstanding or misinterpreting, whether explicitly or by necessary and inescapable implication.

Alycidon

Oct 9, 2015, 6:00:21 AM10/9/15
On Friday, 9 October 2015 10:54:56 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

> What is a "Vehicle Emissions Duty Disk"? What is your home country?

Mine is valid for Germany and allows me to drive into various cities.

http://swldxer.co.uk/emtax.jpg

Tom Crispin

Oct 9, 2015, 6:18:06 AM10/9/15
On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 10:54:56 AM UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

> >> They don't check everyone, that much is true.
> >
> > I was pulled over in Slovenia - it seems that they just wanted to practice their English. They asked for my registration document (which I didn't have) so I pointed out my Vehicle Emissions Duty disc to them, and they accepted that. They also wanted to see my drivers' licence, which I couldn't find at the time (it was in the pocket of my fleece), but they weren't particularly bothered. They also told me that my lights should be on - I pointed out that they were. They let us go.
> >
> > As I say, it seems that they just wanted to practice their English.
> >
> > Hi-vis jackets (which we had) they didn't check - or a red triangle. I think that red triangles are supplied as standard in German cars (as are devices to pretend they are not gassing everyone... History repeating itself?)
>
> What is a "Vehicle Emissions Duty Disk"? What is your home country?

A paper disc that used to be issued to motorists to show they had paid an emissions based tax, according to the fumes emitted under very specific test conditions.

Kerr Mudd-John

Oct 9, 2015, 7:01:46 AM10/9/15
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 22:26:24 +0100, JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> On 07/10/2015 17:45, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
>> "Tom Crispin" <t...@britsc.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes - it made me laugh too. But perhaps for different reasons.
>>>
>>> Our friend Mr Lang really does have some serious insecurity issues. And
>>> that is no laughing matter.
>>
>> I very much doubt that Mr Lang is your friend.
>> He thinks that you are a pillock as do most of the people here.
>
> Come on... there's no need for that.
>
> We can disagree - even profoundly - without being enemies.

I don't think so; for "Mr" Ponder it's all bile. I suspect it's the same
for Mr Lang, but his posts don't amuse me as much.
It is loading more messages.