Things that wind me up #1.

Geoff

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99

Why do some people insist on driving all the way round the
outside of a roundabout when they are taking the last exit ?

--
Geoff
The ASA Katana Suzuki pages, begining with mine.

Anorak off road club web site.
http://www.the-threshold.org/Anorak-Offroad/

Hedgehog

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Not to mention the buggers that signal right at a roundabout when they're
going straight on....
And what about people who you get stuck behind doing 40 in a 60 limit, and
then carry on doing 40 when they get into a 30 zone?
Come on people, add your pet hates here!

Geoff wrote in message
<926514279.21418.1...@news.demon.co.uk>...

Nick Finnigan

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
In article <926514279.21418.1...@news.demon.co.uk>, Geoff writes:

> Why do some people insist on driving all the way round the
> outside of a roundabout when they are taking the last exit ?

To give the clued-up drivers a chance to overtake?

Steve Littley

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
On Wed, 12 May 1999 14:21:13 +0100, "Hedgehog" <d...@eng.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

>And what about people who you get stuck behind doing 40 in a 60 limit, and
>then carry on doing 40 when they get into a 30 zone?

It's ok, you *are* allowed to mention flat-capped Volvo drivers in
this forum :-)

Catman

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Coz they're idiots, that why.
Pet hate: A******s who drive around with front / rear foglights on when it's
not foggy
Catman

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright

Geoff wrote in message
<926514279.21418.1...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>Why do some people insist on driving all the way round the
>outside of a roundabout when they are taking the last exit ?

John Laird

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
In article <926514279.21418.1...@news.demon.co.uk>, Geoff writes:
> Why do some people insist on driving all the way round the
> outside of a roundabout when they are taking the last exit ?

Pass. Do you think these are the same folks who will insist on using a
small roundabout with a not-quite-2-lane exit at 12 o'clock as an
overtaking opportunity ?

--
John Laird (jo...@yrl.co.uk) "I have discovered a truly elegant sig,
Yezerski Roper Ltd sadly there is no room here to show it."

Ben Holness

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99

Hedgehog <d...@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Not to mention the buggers that signal right at a roundabout when they're
> going straight on....

Not meaning to be picky, but do you mean at normal or mini roundabouts?
Technically, you should indicate right at normal roundabouts when you go on
to the roundabout (intending to go straight on) and then indicate left when
you have passed the last exit before your exit. Quite why this is, I don't
know!

My pet hates:

1. People who beep their horn when they see friends
2. People who lose their temper at another driver when the other driver
makes a simple mistake.
3. People who lose their temper at another driver because they have jumped
to a conclusion - this happened to me recently, when I had to take a corner
very slowly due to fragile objects that I was carrying in the car. Guy
behind me was furious!

Ben

Catman

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Are you sure that's what the highway coed says. It sure ain't in my copy,
though it's not the latest (last years)
Catman

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright

Ben Holness wrote in message <7hc756$kn0$1...@bcrkh13.ca.nortel.com>...

>Hedgehog <d...@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> Not to mention the buggers that signal right at a roundabout when they're
>> going straight on....
>
>Not meaning to be picky, but do you mean at normal or mini roundabouts?
>Technically, you should indicate right at normal roundabouts when you go on
>to the roundabout (intending to go straight on) and then indicate left when
>you have passed the last exit before your exit. Quite why this is, I don't
>know!

<snip>

Simon

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99

Ben Holness wrote in message <7hc756$kn0$1...@bcrkh13.ca.nortel.com>...
>2. People who lose their temper at another driver when the other driver
>makes a simple mistake.

Such as indicating right when going straight on at a roundabout? That's
definitely an easy mistake to make, provided you're an idiot of course.

Andrew Willoughby

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
In article: <7hc756$kn0$1...@bcrkh13.ca.nortel.com> "Ben Holness"
<bhol...@nortelnetworks.com> writes:

> Technically, you should indicate right at normal roundabouts
> when you go on to the roundabout (intending to go straight on)...

Not if you read any of the Highway Codes I've got, including the latest.

But it just shows how easily these things can be miss-understood.

My pet hate? Drivers who overtake when I'm doing the speed limit and we
can both see the queue of stationary traffic at the roundabout in the
distance.
--
Andrew

Relax, enjoy life!

Catman

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Just goes to show how few people read them
Catman

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright

Matthew Moss

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Pricks driving their nova sr's with their baseball caps on backwards, up
your arse in their shopping trolleys when your in a car with like 200bhp
more!!!!

lol

Geoff wrote in message
<926514279.21418.1...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>Why do some people insist on driving all the way round the
>outside of a roundabout when they are taking the last exit ?

Catman

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
While we're at it , people who think loud exhaust = powerful / classy car.
Save yourself severla hundred quid, just drill some holes in the old one :)
Got me started now :))
Catman

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright

Geoff

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Rear fog Lights on in the wet when there is no fog (always a slow car as
well and you can't see past it to overtake).

Geoff

Jo Maisey

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
So - let me see.............

If you are going straight on at a 'normal' roundabout, you indicate right?
So, which lane should you be in here? Now, I always thought that you should
be in the left lane when going straight on - but indicating right when in
the left lane??? Slightly confusing for the driver behind/coming alongside
in right hand lane to turn right??? Hmmmm......

My pet hates:
People who refuse to let you in (ie drive 2 inches from the bumper in front,
resolutely looking forwards) when your lane disappears. Now I wonder why
that second lane was there in the first place, if it wasn't for cars to
drive in?

Jo

Catman <ne...@cmatth.clara.co.uk> wrote in message

> Just goes to show how few people read them

> Catman
>
> Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright

da...@50ww.freeserve.co.uk

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99

Steve Littley wrote in message <37398a31.177719108@zharh00t>...
I drive a Volvo myself actually (no offence taken), and I hate flat-capped
old farts who give all Volvo drivers a bad name. Pity we all get tarred with
the same brush.....
Hedgehog. (yes, the same one who started the thread)

Dave Plowman

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
I have a mini roundabout at the end of my road at what used to be a
T-junction. I /think/ the highway code still says when approaching /any/
roundabout you must give way to vehicles on your right hand side. But
despite give way signs on all the entrances to the roundabout, people on
what used to be the main road still think they have priority.

--
Dave Plowman dave....@argonet.co.uk
RIP Acorn

Spike

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
1. People who crash into you and then tell you its your fault
2. Peuple who make 180 turns in a side road and realise there blocking
someone so they speed back into the main road.
3. People who insist that their car is going to stay in front of mine even
when its crap and slow
4. Buses that presume they can pull into traffic anytime
5. People on cycles that think they arent holding up anyone
6. Women that sit with their faces pushed againt the windscreen
7. People who try to overtake me because they have a Pioneer stcker on their
back window
8. Ugly women in BMW's who wont do anything nice at all
9. Posties who park on blind corners to get the mail
10. Doddery old "lollipop" men who jump out rigfht in front of you
11. Coppers who book you for being 3mph above the speed limit
12. Middle lane hoggers on motorways
13. Drivers of crap diesel transit vans who race each other at 50 all the
way up the daul cabbageway

Spike

Jo Maisey

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Whooo Spike! Not much then!

I have to agree with you on most things, but what sort of 'nice' thing do
you want from an 'Ugly woman in a BMW' ?? Middle lane hoggers annoy me
intensely - especially as they usually drive at about 50mph.

How about:

1. Small men in big cars? (Small Man Complex)
2. Cyclists who assume that the Road Traffic Laws don't apply to them?
(traffic lights, give way signs, one way streets......)
3. Lorry drivers who also assume that the Road Traffic Laws don't apply to
them (they're bigger, therefore they have the right of way)
4. Men who think that because I'm a woman, I can't possibly drive a
powerful sports car? (I can, and I do)

Jo

Spike <maca...@cyberdude.com> wrote in message

Adrian Vickers

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Whilst bantering in uk.rec.cars.misc, dave....@argonet.co.uk said:
> I have a mini roundabout at the end of my road at what used to be a
> T-junction. I /think/ the highway code still says when approaching /any/
> roundabout you must give way to vehicles on your right hand side. But
> despite give way signs on all the entrances to the roundabout, people on
> what used to be the main road still think they have priority.

This is not really a pet hate, but is most amusing to watch:

3 people arriving at the same time at a 3-exit mini-roundabout trying to
work out who gets to go first...

--
Ade.
"The best thing about rain forests is they never suffer from drought." -

Barnaby Wood

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99

Ben Holness wrote in message <7hc756$kn0$1...@bcrkh13.ca.nortel.com>...
>Not meaning to be picky, but do you mean at normal or mini roundabouts?
Technically, you should indicate right at normal roundabouts when you go on
to the roundabout (intending to go straight on) and then indicate left when
you have passed the last exit before your exit. Quite why this is, I don't
know!

Since when? I thought the whole point was that you didn't indicate going on
to a roundabout you're going straight over, but indicate off it. If you
indicate right and go straight over, you're screwing anyone on the inside of
you up, because they won't see you indicating to leave. When you're going
straight over you only indicate to leave so that you let people ahead know
what you're doing when they're waiting to join the roundabout.

Barney

Barney

Flint_Fireforge

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
On Wed, 12 May 1999 18:43:31 +0100, <da...@50ww.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Steve Littley wrote in message <37398a31.177719108@zharh00t>...
>>On Wed, 12 May 1999 14:21:13 +0100, "Hedgehog" <d...@eng.cam.ac.uk>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>And what about people who you get stuck behind doing 40 in a 60 limit, and
>>>then carry on doing 40 when they get into a 30 zone?

And even worse, those arseholes who insist on driving in perfectly
good weather with rear foglights on.

REALLY gets my goat, that one.

Catman

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Normally me, since someone has to make a decision :)
Catman

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright

Flint_Fireforge

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
On Wed, 12 May 1999 18:24:31 +0100, Geoff <geof...@net.ntl.com>
wrote:

>Rear fog Lights on in the wet when there is no fog (always a slow car as
>well and you can't see past it to overtake).
>
>Geoff

Oops!

I posted the same moan in the earlier thread before I saw this one.

Sorry, Geoff.

peter booth

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
The thing that winds me up is this damn key in the middle of my back,

peter booth

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Another thing that gets to me is when drivers pick there noses and just as
they draw level when overtaking, eat it.............

Paul Giverin

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
In article <207926...@willouby.demon.co.uk>, Andrew Willoughby
<And...@willouby.demon.co.uk> writes

>My pet hate? Drivers who overtake when I'm doing the speed limit and we
>can both see the queue of stationary traffic at the roundabout in the
>distance.

My pet hate? The near retirement age Sainsbury's truck driver that does
35-40 on the single carriageway stretch of the A11 in Norfolk every
morning. He probably thinks he is driving safely (and technically he is)
but its not so safe for the other car and truck drivers who try
desperately to get past him. Even the tractors go faster than him.

--
Paul Giverin

Paul Giverin

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
In article <UFs3Lr...@yrl.co.uk>, John Laird <jo...@yrl.co.uk> writes

>In article <926514279.21418.1...@news.demon.co.uk>, Geoff writes:
>> Why do some people insist on driving all the way round the
>> outside of a roundabout when they are taking the last exit ?
>
>Pass. Do you think these are the same folks who will insist on using a
>small roundabout with a not-quite-2-lane exit at 12 o'clock as an
>overtaking opportunity ?

Does it work at quarter past three?
--
Paul Giverin

Guy N Hudson

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
I know how you feel, I have met that lorry driver too...

Lets hope his pension comes soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Kevin Ward

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Hedgehog <d...@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> >Why do some people insist on driving all the way round the
> >outside of a roundabout when they are taking the last exit ?

Why, indeed!

> Not to mention the buggers that signal right at a roundabout when they're
> going straight on...

Or don't signal right when they ARE going right.

> And what about people who you get stuck behind doing 40 in a 60 limit, and
> then carry on doing 40 when they get into a 30 zone?

These people wind me up! If you overtake them in a 60 when they are
doing 40, they flash you!

> Come on people, add your pet hates here!

People who 'drift' across lanes at roundabouts without looking!

People who are on the brakes all the way down the hill...

People who flash at people who have front foglights on.

People who don't accelerate down slip roads when joining NSL.

Cars with only 1 or 0 brake lights.

People who pull out to overtake and don't get past anyone.

I'll probably think of loads more once I have posted this...!

--
Kevin Ward

Kevin Ward

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
John Laird <jo...@yrl.co.uk> wrote:

> > Why do some people insist on driving all the way round the
> > outside of a roundabout when they are taking the last exit ?
>

> Pass. Do you think these are the same folks who will insist on using a
> small roundabout with a not-quite-2-lane exit at 12 o'clock as an
> overtaking opportunity ?

No. One type is boring type who hasn't got a clue what is going on
around them. The other knows exactly what they are doing - although it
is a bit naughty!

--
Kevin Ward

Kevin Ward

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Matthew Moss <matth...@currantbun.com> wrote:

> Pricks driving their nova sr's with their baseball caps on backwards, up
> your arse in their shopping trolleys when your in a car with like 200bhp
> more!!!!

A perfect time to test your brakes ;-)

--
Kevin Ward

Graeme Stevens

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
You see this is one of those people. Ben, check your Highway code for
correct roundabout procedure

Ben Holness wrote in message <7hc756$kn0$1...@bcrkh13.ca.nortel.com>...

>Hedgehog <d...@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> Not to mention the buggers that signal right at a roundabout when they're
>> going straight on....

>Not meaning to be picky, but do you mean at normal or mini roundabouts?
>Technically, you should indicate right at normal roundabouts when you go on
>to the roundabout (intending to go straight on) and then indicate left when
>you have passed the last exit before your exit. Quite why this is, I don't
>know!
>
>My pet hates:
>
>1. People who beep their horn when they see friends

>2. People who lose their temper at another driver when the other driver
>makes a simple mistake.
>3. People who lose their temper at another driver because they have jumped
>to a conclusion - this happened to me recently, when I had to take a corner
>very slowly due to fragile objects that I was carrying in the car. Guy
>behind me was furious!
>
>Ben

Graeme Stevens

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
People who reduce motorways to two lanes by refusing to move over to empty
inside lane when they've finished overtaking. The M4 most mornings is
chocka, nose to tail on middle and outside lane.

Idiots, travelling at 50mph(nothing wrong with that) on inside lane, dont
notice 45mph truck until they are right up its arse then swerve into middle
lane. Mr 65mph in middle lane has not noticed this situation
developing(he/she's probably shaving/putting on lipstick(or shaving, I knew
a girl like that once)) and pulls into outside lane. 75-80mph traffic stands
on it brakes, concertinas the traffic and outside lane is reduced to 50 mph
or less because of some twat in a Daf Variomatic.

Graeme

>Come on people, add your pet hates here!

Graeme Stevens

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Its so selfish, it always happens when you've just emptied yours, doesnt
it?:-))

Graeme

d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Matthew Moss wrote:
> Pricks driving their nova sr's with their baseball caps on backwards, up
> your arse in their shopping trolleys when your in a car with like 200bhp
> more!!!!

This was funny. I was cruising up to the Tyne Bridge (Newcastle) at 10mph
over like normal with the typical stickered & drainpiped Nova fulla kids
behind wanting to go by. Slower cars on my left so no way. EVERY bend we
came to this Nova would disappear, only to come roaring back up my arse on
the straight. Get a proper car, kids. Like not one slammed for bad
handling in 1983 when it came out.

Dan
--
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d71tbg

d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
>>> Technically, you should indicate right at normal roundabouts
>>> when you go on to the roundabout (intending to go straight on)...

Sorry this is just not true. You indicate right to indicate a lane change,
that is all (a lane change to the RIGHT in case that is ambiguous). There
is no requirement to keep the right signal on thru the roundabout although
it is helpful if you've still a way to go. You must signal left when
taking the next exit.

I was taught to go in the right lane when exiting past 12 o'clock but most
drivers do not understand when you do this, or go in the right lane for
straight on when the only other choice is left, so I just go with the flow.

>> My pet hate? Drivers who overtake when I'm doing the speed limit and we
>> can both see the queue of stationary traffic at the roundabout in the
>> distance.

We meet at last. :-)

Dan
--
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d71tbg

d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Jo Maisey wrote:
> I have to agree with you on most things, but what sort of 'nice' thing do
> you want from an 'Ugly woman in a BMW' ?? Middle lane hoggers annoy me
> intensely - especially as they usually drive at about 50mph.

Don't mind the ones going real slow as they're probably senile and think
they're still back home in the favourite chair, wondering where the pedals
came from, those weren't there yesterday... The absolute WORST are the
'I'm doing 70 so you can too, it's the speed limit' smug gits in the right
hand lane who look annoyed when you pass them on the left after 5 painful
minutes of tolerance and gentle hints like right indicator.

> 1. Small men in big cars? (Small Man Complex)

Hey I'm quite small (not short just small, no comments please I don't mean
THAT) and I drive a fairly big car. Saw it, liked it, drove it away, made
my friends jealous and annoyed my dad (I owed him money, he did admit it
was a nice car after towing it back to mine though), perfect!

> 2. Cyclists who assume that the Road Traffic Laws don't apply to them?
> (traffic lights, give way signs, one way streets......)

Cyclists, then.

> 3. Lorry drivers who also assume that the Road Traffic Laws don't apply to
> them (they're bigger, therefore they have the right of way)

They are unfortunately correct in all but the legal sense, still, you can
always take out your frustration on the next Reliant Robin you see (a la Mr
Bean).

> 4. Men who think that because I'm a woman, I can't possibly drive a
> powerful sports car? (I can, and I do)

We saw a girl in a Ferrari on the way down to Hull. She was just cruising
but as we passed her she floored it, voom! I got the hire car up to 120
but, to be fair, only passed her when she slowed down to 70. Women and
sports cars are my two favourite things; I have no objection to the
all-in-one package (offering a saving over the two items purchased
separately). :-)

Dan
--
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d71tbg

d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
peter booth wrote:
> Another thing that gets to me is when drivers pick there noses and just as
> they draw level when overtaking, eat it.............

I will look out for that one Pete!

--
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d71tbg

d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Graeme Stevens wrote:
>> Come on people, add your pet hates here!

High brake lights or excessive number of.

Blue headlights.

Oblivious old gits who calmly pull out in front of you at 25mph and
continue at this speed.

Arrogant twats in big cars who flash their lights straight away without
waiting to see if you were going to move over courteously.

As above who harass you while you are legitimately overtaking slower
vehicles.

Policemen who pull you over to inspect your battery mountings.

Policemen who are bored.

Policemen who ask "is this your car sir?", "do you know what speed you were
going?", "have you been drinking?", "where are you going?" or anything else
from Every Policeman's First Book. (No, I nicked it; no I was too busy
trying to outrun you; yeah, 10 pints pretty impressive eh!; just on my way
back from a bank raid actually.)

People who follow you real close at night so you want to pull away to
escape the headlights, who turn out to be policemen.

People in front who dither while the way is clear, flying out at the last
second leaving you stuck.

People who see you driving fast and think you want to race.

People who speed up when you try to overtake, forcing embarassing retreat,
then slowing to their previous speed.

People who are content to stay in a queue of slow cars but will not leave
room for you to overtake because you are not.

Anyone who throws rubbish from a car.

Taxis.

Buses.

Cyclists.

Pedestrians who very carefully look every way but yours.

Misaligned headlights.

Motorcyclists who zoom up on your left then act surprised you didn't
notice.

Drivers who deliberately stop you changing lanes.

Drivers who beep and expect you to get out the way instead of using their
hands to take evasive action themselves.

Parking tickets when you didn't see the lines or sign.

Anyone who argues the case in favour of one of your pet hates, when you are
trying to vent.

Anyone with pet hates I do not agree with.

Just to even things a little, how about pet LIKES?

Drivers who let you into a queue when they didn't have to.

Friendly policemen.

Drivers who acknowledge a kind deed.

Girls in cars who smile at you.

Sunny days with a clear road, music and the windows down.

Places you can park easily for free.

Your favourite road with no cars on.

Discovering you are not the only one with a particular pet hate.

Dan
--
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d71tbg

Hedgehog

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
I've thought of another thing that winds me up - people who drive automatics
with two feet (bad practice anyway), and leave their left foot resting on
the brake pedal so the brake lights are permanantly on!

Hedgehog wrote in message <7hbv27$4e2$1...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>...

>Not to mention the buggers that signal right at a roundabout when they're
>going straight on....

>And what about people who you get stuck behind doing 40 in a 60 limit, and
>then carry on doing 40 when they get into a 30 zone?

>Come on people, add your pet hates here!
>

>Geoff wrote in message
><926514279.21418.1...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>>Why do some people insist on driving all the way round the
>>outside of a roundabout when they are taking the last exit ?

Ben Holness

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
My apologies to you all, you are quite correct.

I was always taught to indicate right until you turn left, so that other
road users were aware that you were NOT turning off at the next exit.
In my defense, I usually forget to indicate right! (I didn't want to mention
this, because not indicating is a common pet hate. How ironic)

My suggestion for the solution to drivers who drive to close to you (this
may be a little dangerous, but):

1. Ensure that no other cars are behind the car that is behind you (Very
important)
2. Touch brake very gently (so that your brakelights come on, but you do not
actually slow down)
3. Turn hazard lights on

This usually gets the message through!

I will now proceed to re-read the highway code to see if anything else that
I was taught is incorrect!

The speed limit on derestricted dual carriageways is 70Mph isn't it? How
come loads of people only do 60?

Ben

Graeme Stevens <gra...@kalaron.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> You see this is one of those people. Ben, check your Highway code for
> correct roundabout procedure
> Ben Holness wrote in message <7hc756$kn0$1...@bcrkh13.ca.nortel.com>...
> >
> >Hedgehog <d...@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

> >> Not to mention the buggers that signal right at a roundabout when
they're
> >> going straight on....
> >

> >Not meaning to be picky, but do you mean at normal or mini roundabouts?

> >Technically, you should indicate right at normal roundabouts when you go
on

Graham Elliott

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Small children that steal valve caps and / or let tyres down !!
There is an outbreak of this in our area at the moment and I`m not happy
!!!!!

Graham
(Just got off the phone to plod - bit trivial I know but I feel better
now...)

John Laird

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In article <373A3783...@durham.ac.uk>, d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk writes:

> Pedestrians who very carefully look every way but yours.

Pedestrians who sprint half-way across the road while in no danger, and
then dawdle the last few feet, avoiding a collision by inches.

> Just to even things a little, how about pet LIKES?
>
> Drivers who let you into a queue when they didn't have to.
>
> Friendly policemen.
>
> Drivers who acknowledge a kind deed.
>
> Girls in cars who smile at you.
>
> Sunny days with a clear road, music and the windows down.
>
> Places you can park easily for free.
>
> Your favourite road with no cars on.

Blimey, which planet is this ?

--
John Laird (jo...@yrl.co.uk) "I have discovered a truly elegant sig,
Yezerski Roper Ltd sadly there is no room here to show it."
http://www.yrl.co.uk

Tom Barker

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Paul Giverin <pa...@giverin.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <207926...@willouby.demon.co.uk>, Andrew Willoughby
> <And...@willouby.demon.co.uk> writes
> >My pet hate? Drivers who overtake when I'm doing the speed limit and we
> >can both see the queue of stationary traffic at the roundabout in the
> >distance.
>
> My pet hate? The near retirement age Sainsbury's truck driver that does
> 35-40 on the single carriageway stretch of the A11 in Norfolk every
> morning. He probably thinks he is driving safely (and technically he is)
> but its not so safe for the other car and truck drivers who try
> desperately to get past him. Even the tractors go faster than him.

But he's only allowed to do 40. Sainsburys are real sticklers and will come
down
heavily on anyone whose tacho says they've been bad boys.

Tom.

(-: JoJo :-)

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
1. F**king c**ts on pushbikes who think they have the right to pull up in
front of you at traffic lights.

2. Lada's

3. Cars with knackered engines that spew all kinds of shit back at You.

4. People that drive their kids 300 yards down the road to school.

5. White van man.

Kevin Ward

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
<d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk> wrote:

It's a Vauxhall. They don't like bends.

And who told these lads (and girlies!) that 1.3 SR's are fast?

--
Kevin Ward

Steve Littley

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
>In article: <7hc756$kn0$1...@bcrkh13.ca.nortel.com> "Ben Holness"
><bhol...@nortelnetworks.com> writes:
>>

>> Technically, you should indicate right at normal roundabouts
>> when you go on to the roundabout (intending to go straight on)...

It was someone doing exactly this who nearly caused me to have an
accident on a roundabout! I sincerely hope there aren't too many
people who believe what Ben has just written.

Steve

Dave Plowman

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In article <7hdv39$pjr$1...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>,

Hedgehog <d...@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> I've thought of another thing that winds me up - people who
> drive automatics with two feet (bad practice anyway),

Why? I always do this.

> and leave their left foot resting on the brake pedal so the
> brake lights are permanantly on!

And wearing out their pads.

--
Dave Plowman dave....@argonet.co.uk
RIP Acorn

Hedgehog

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

Dave Plowman wrote in message <490184ec88...@argonet.co.uk>...

>In article <7hdv39$pjr$1...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
> Hedgehog <d...@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I've thought of another thing that winds me up - people who
>> drive automatics with two feet (bad practice anyway),
>
> Why? I always do this.

Oh, it's you is it? Stop it!!!!
:-)

Dave Plowman

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In article <7hefkd$adc$1...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>,

Hedgehog <d...@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I've thought of another thing that winds me up - people who
> >> drive automatics with two feet (bad practice anyway),
> >
> > Why? I always do this.
> >
> Oh, it's you is it? Stop it!!!!
> :-)

I do; with my left foot. 8-)

Hedgehog

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

Dave Plowman wrote in message <4901979b3c...@argonet.co.uk>...
>In article <7hefkd$adc$1...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>,

>> Oh, it's you is it? Stop it!!!!
>> :-)
>
> I do; with my left foot. 8-)
>
>--
> Dave Plowman dave....@argonet.co.uk
> RIP Acorn

Nice one mate...... [:-)}-##==Ś

Tight Guard Security

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

> Another thing that gets to me is when drivers pick there noses and just as
> they draw level when overtaking, eat it.............

I like to flick mine out the window, but unfortunatly at times they hit the
side of the car :-(

Pet hates:::
Cheap blue imitation lamps.
Front fog lamps on in clear view.
Slow drivers on country roads doing 30

Carl

TIGHT GUARD SECURITY
Vehicle Alarm Specialists
Supply & Install from £29.99
ADVANCED AUTO SECURITY SYSTEMS
in...@carsecurity.freeuk.com
http://www.carsecurity.freeuk.com

John O Hynes

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

Ben Holness wrote in message <7he265$rvu$1...@bcrkh13.ca.nortel.com>...

>The speed limit on derestricted dual carriageways is 70Mph isn't it? How
>come loads of people only do 60?
>
>Ben

The National Speed Limit used to be 70 mph on all roads. During the fuel
crisis of the 1970s a temporary 50 mph was introduced (60 on Motorways if I
remember correctly) but when this was finally lifted the limit for single
carriageway roads was only raised to 60 mph, Dual Carriageways and Motorways
returning to 70 mph. Many people thought, and still do to this day, that
the limits were then set at 50, 60 and 70 for Single Carriageway, Dual
Carriageway and Motorways resepctively. The older versions of the Highway
Code showed the correct speed limits, but only in the small print at the
back of the book, the newer versions have a very clear table in them showing
the speed limits for different vehicles and roads. Unfortunately not many
people bother to keep up with the changes in law etc. and don't read the
highway code often enough

John

Ian Forest

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In a message dated Wed, 12 May 1999, Steve Littley did speweth forth the
following...

>>And what about people who you get stuck behind doing 40 in a 60 limit, and
>>then carry on doing 40 when they get into a 30 zone?
>

>It's ok, you *are* allowed to mention flat-capped Volvo drivers in
>this forum :-)

Good job i've just sold my Volvo then!

---
Ciao,

| Ian J. Forest ICQ: 33784888 |
| www.dis2000.freeserve.co.uk |
| Disco 2000 - Music for everyone!! |
| Purveyor of fine ales and fast food |

Ian Forest

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In a message dated Wed, 12 May 1999, Flint_Fireforge did speweth forth
the following...

>And even worse, those arseholes who insist on driving in perfectly
>good weather with rear foglights on.

Or the ones who forget to turn their indicators off and indicate left
for the next 6 miles. (mainly lorry drivers)

Ian Forest

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In a message dated Wed, 12 May 1999, Jo Maisey did speweth forth the
following...

>If you are going straight on at a 'normal' roundabout, you indicate right?

No.

>So, which lane should you be in here? Now, I always thought that you should
>be in the left lane when going straight on - but indicating right when in
>the left lane??? Slightly confusing for the driver behind/coming alongside
>in right hand lane to turn right??? Hmmmm......

When approaching a roundabout and you wish to go straight on, you have
the option of being in any lane (there's usually 2, if there's 3 move
into either of the 2 nearside lanes, the 3rd is usually a filter lane).
Do not indicate, just drive straight ahead, although do indicate left
when you have passed the previous exit, just as a measure of courtesy to
other drivers to let them know what you're doing, i.e. the ones already
on and the ones about to enter it.

Ian Forest

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In a message dated Wed, 12 May 1999, Dave Plowman did speweth forth the
following...

> I have a mini roundabout at the end of my road at what used to be a
>T-junction. I /think/ the highway code still says when approaching /any/
>roundabout you must give way to vehicles on your right hand side. But
>despite give way signs on all the entrances to the roundabout, people on
>what used to be the main road still think they have priority.

Ah! Yes, give way to drivers on the right, but only if they're on the
roundabout. If they're approaching the roundabout, then YOU have right
of way. A common mistake to make.

Ian Forest

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In a message dated Wed, 12 May 1999, Adrian Vickers did speweth forth
the following...

>This is not really a pet hate, but is most amusing to watch:
>
>3 people arriving at the same time at a 3-exit mini-roundabout trying to
>work out who gets to go first...

I get mightily pissed off at this, I get so annoyed that I just put my
foot down, and so (usually) do all the others. :(

Barnaby Wood

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

Ian Forest wrote in message ...

>Ah! Yes, give way to drivers on the right, but only if they're on the
roundabout. If they're approaching the roundabout, then YOU have right of
way. A common mistake to make.

Surely that amounts to the same thing. If they're approaching the
roundabout, you should only go on to the roundabout if there's time. Its
specific to each case surely.

Barney

Barnaby Wood

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

Ian Forest wrote in message ...
>When approaching a roundabout and you wish to go straight on, you have the
option of being in any lane (there's usually 2, if there's 3 move into
either of the 2 nearside lanes, the 3rd is usually a filter lane). Do not
indicate, just drive straight ahead, although do indicate left when you have
passed the previous exit, just as a measure of courtesy to other drivers to
let them know what you're doing, i.e. the ones already on and the ones about
to enter it.

That assumes that the exit lane is also two lanes, otherwise you're going to
start killing people.

Barney

Barnaby Wood

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

Tight Guard Security wrote in message ...

>> Another thing that gets to me is when drivers pick there noses and just
as
>> they draw level when overtaking, eat it.............
>
>I like to flick mine out the window, but unfortunatly at times they hit the
>side of the car :-(

Do you find its sticks and causes you to use more petrol with the extra
drag???

Barney

Graham Trevor

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

> But he's only allowed to do 40. Sainsburys are real sticklers and will
come
> down
> heavily on anyone whose tacho says they've been bad boys.
>
> Tom.

Says who?

I know for a fact they are limited to 56mph, just like the majority of other
lorries on the road... not 40mph.

Graham

--
---
6 June 1999 - European Telecommunications Boycott

================================
Web Page: www.poboxes.com/gtrevor
For the best Hot Hatch information
Email : gtr...@poboxes.com
================================

peter booth

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Depends on the size of the snot box surely. I`ll tell you what though, I
would love to flick one on a KA.
Barnaby Wood <@barnabywood.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
<7hf7ec$d9q$4...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>...

Paul Giverin

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In article <373a9...@145.227.194.253>, Tom Barker <Tom.B...@icl.com>
writes

>Paul Giverin <pa...@giverin.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In article <207926...@willouby.demon.co.uk>, Andrew Willoughby
>> <And...@willouby.demon.co.uk> writes
>> >My pet hate? Drivers who overtake when I'm doing the speed limit and we
>> >can both see the queue of stationary traffic at the roundabout in the
>> >distance.
>>
>> My pet hate? The near retirement age Sainsbury's truck driver that does
>> 35-40 on the single carriageway stretch of the A11 in Norfolk every
>> morning. He probably thinks he is driving safely (and technically he is)
>> but its not so safe for the other car and truck drivers who try
>> desperately to get past him. Even the tractors go faster than him.
>
>But he's only allowed to do 40. Sainsburys are real sticklers and will come
>down
>heavily on anyone whose tacho says they've been bad boys.

I don't deny what you are saying but I've seen lots of other Sainsbury
drivers doing a sensible (for lorry) 50-55.
--
Paul Giverin

Neil

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Hedgehog wrote in message <7hbv27$4e2$1...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>...
>And what about people who you get stuck behind doing 40 in a 60 limit, and
>then carry on doing 40 when they get into a 30 zone?

Intensely annoying...is it ignorance, stupidity, or pure arrogance? I really
wanna know... ;-)

Cheers

Neil

Phil

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Neil wrote in message <7hfhha$b8$1...@news1.cableinet.co.uk>...

All of the above.

Neil

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Ben Holness wrote in message <7he265$rvu$1...@bcrkh13.ca.nortel.com>...
>My suggestion for the solution to drivers who drive to close to you (this
>may be a little dangerous, but):
>
>1. Ensure that no other cars are behind the car that is behind you (Very
>important)
>2. Touch brake very gently (so that your brakelights come on, but you do
not
>actually slow down)
>3. Turn hazard lights on
>
>This usually gets the message through!

Not sure I'd bother about the hazards, but I think the rest is pretty much
as per the HC, isn't it? ie touch your brakes so the driver behind can kinda
see your brake lights?

>The speed limit on derestricted dual carriageways is 70Mph isn't it? How
>come loads of people only do 60?

Partly ignorance, I suspect, some people I've come across believe this is
the speed limit. I've heard similar instances where some people think the
limit on unrestricted single carriageways is 50.

Some of it may well be the people are not comfortable going any faster.
Don't mind this quite a much as 10 under the speed limit is hardly
offensive. The 40 everywhere drivers annoy me infinitely more.

Cheers

Neil

Adrian Vickers

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Whilst bantering in uk.rec.cars.misc, i...@dis2000.freeserve.co.uk said:
> In a message dated Wed, 12 May 1999, Adrian Vickers did speweth forth
> the following...
>
> >This is not really a pet hate, but is most amusing to watch:
> >
> >3 people arriving at the same time at a 3-exit mini-roundabout trying to
> >work out who gets to go first...
>
> I get mightily pissed off at this, I get so annoyed that I just put my
> foot down, and so (usually) do all the others. :(

It's the brief pause whilst people think "Erm, errr" - then occasionally
(as you say) followed by everyone starting at once...

If I'm in the same situation myself, I don't stop unless the car in the
next junction anti-clockwise has already started moving. In the event of
further confusion, large quantities of horn tend to sort things out...

--
Ade.
"The best thing about rain forests is they never suffer from drought." -
Dan Quayle

Ian Forest

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In a message dated Wed, 12 May 1999, Kevin Ward did speweth forth the
following...

>I'll probably think of loads more once I have posted this...!

Yeah, like the following...

* People who don't indicate when they're pulling into the side of the
road (or people who just don't indicate)

* Taxi Drivers and Pizza Delivery vans who like to drive at 5mph on a
main road in the dark looking for house numbers.

* Kiddie racers in their Nova's (wearing baseball caps) BOOMing it all
over the place (boom boom booom boom boom boom)

* People who overtake on the inside lane on a dual cabbageway and then
realise that there's a lot of traffic in front of them and in front of
you and then they have to slam the brakes on.

* Old gimmers who like to drive out of side roads onto the main road
with a total disregard to traffic.

* The traffic cop who likes to park behind the hedge with his hairdryer
pointing at me coming down Smithy Bridge Road in Rochdale. I know he's
there, EVERYONE knows he's there...

* Women drivers who peer through the gap between the steering wheel and
the instrument panel of a small car, i.e. a Cinquicento or other
similiar.

* Daewoo Matiz drivers, they surely must have a death wish.

* Anyone with pulsing brake lights, or even when the brake light AND the
indicator light pulse together.

* Drivers who think they can float over speed ramps and take them at
high speed, especially in built up areas.

* People who ignore filter signals on traffic lights and go when they
shouldn't.

* Drivers who let their kids lean on the 2 front seats when they should
be strapped in at the back.

* Drivers who think they can eat McDonalds and drive at the same time.

Andrew Willoughby

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In article: <1drpnom.99q...@circlesquare.demon.co.uk>
Ke...@circlesquare.demon.co.uk (Kevin Ward) writes:

> > Come on people, add your pet hates here!
>
> People who flash at people who have front foglights on.

Kevin, how do you know that front-foglight-users ever get flashed
unless *you* use your fogs when it's not foggy. But surely you
don't, do you?
--
Andrew

Andrew Willoughby

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In article: <373A11B0...@durham.ac.uk> d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk
writes:

I wrote-

> >> My pet hate? Drivers who overtake when I'm doing the speed
> >>limit and we can both see the queue of stationary traffic at
> >>the roundabout in the distance.

> We meet at last. :-)

So why do you do it?

--
Andrew

Slo down, relax, enjoy life!

Dave Plowman

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In article <Tdl_2.2415$Sl6...@nnrp2.clara.net>,

peter booth <bo...@freeuk.com> wrote:
> Another thing that gets to me is when drivers pick there noses and
> just as they draw level when overtaking, eat it.............

Very bad manners. Protocol suggests that after extracting said bogy, you
should offer it around to the company. If refused, you smear it on the
window and leave it for the groom to clear up...........

Tom Barker

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Graham Trevor <gtr...@poboxes.com> wrote:
> > But he's only allowed to do 40. Sainsburys are real sticklers
> > and will come down heavily on anyone whose tacho says
> > they've been bad boys.
>
> Says who?
>
> I know for a fact they are limited to 56mph, just like the majority of
other
> lorries on the road... not 40mph.

The speed limit for LGVs on single carraigeway roads is 40, and 60 on
a dual carraigeway. For a 7.5T lorry it is 50 on a single carraigeway
and 60 on a dual.

Tom.

Tight Guard Security

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Would in not depend on the speed limit of the type of road at the time i.e.
30, 40, 60, or 70 ?

Graham Trevor <gtr...@poboxes.com> wrote in message

> > But he's only allowed to do 40. Sainsburys are real sticklers and will
> come
> > down
> > heavily on anyone whose tacho says they've been bad boys.
> >

> > Tom.

> Says who?
>
> I know for a fact they are limited to 56mph, just like the majority of
other
> lorries on the road... not 40mph.

Nick Finnigan

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <LuqyARAU...@dis2000.freeserve.co.uk>, Ian Forest <i...@dis2000.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
> In a message dated Wed, 12 May 1999, Dave Plowman did speweth forth the
> following...
>
>> I have a mini roundabout at the end of my road at what used to be a
>>T-junction. I /think/ the highway code still says when approaching /any/
>>roundabout you must give way to vehicles on your right hand side.

Rule 161 has 'give priority to traffic approaching from your right'.

> Ah! Yes, give way to drivers on the right, but only if they're on the
> roundabout. If they're approaching the roundabout, then YOU have right
> of way. A common mistake to make.

Where is this specified?

Not that it should mattter at a proper roundabout -
if you both set off from the give way lines at the
same time, you should keep clear of each other.

Nick Finnigan

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99

Well, there are a couple of roundabouts near my with 5 exits,
all single lane; generally 2 lanes at the entry. If you are
taking the 3rd exit ('straight on'), which lane should you use?

In practice people use either, with no known deaths.

Barnaby Wood

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99

Nick Finnigan wrote in message ...

> Well, there are a couple of roundabouts near my with 5 exits,
>all single lane; generally 2 lanes at the entry. If you are
>taking the 3rd exit ('straight on'), which lane should you use?
>
> In practice people use either, with no known deaths.

Exactly. Were it the case that the roundabout was more than one lane wide
and the exit was only one lane wide from the beginning, anyone exiting from
anything other than the left hand lane would cause congestion. It gets back
to the problem with lane discipline and how nobody seems to bother any more.

Barney

Kevin Ward

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Ian Forest <i...@dis2000.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> In a message dated Wed, 12 May 1999, Kevin Ward did speweth forth the
> following...
>

> >I'll probably think of loads more once I have posted this...!
>
> Yeah, like the following...
>

> * People who don't indicate when they're pulling into the side of the
> road (or people who just don't indicate)

Plenty of them about!

> * Kiddie racers in their Nova's (wearing baseball caps) BOOMing it all
> over the place (boom boom booom boom boom boom)

Why Nova's!? WHY?!?!

> * Old gimmers who like to drive out of side roads onto the main road
> with a total disregard to traffic.

...at 5mph

> * Anyone with pulsing brake lights, or even when the brake light AND the
> indicator light pulse together.

Ford's are worse for this!

> * Drivers who think they can float over speed ramps and take them at
> high speed, especially in built up areas.

Probably not their car!

> * People who ignore filter signals on traffic lights and go when they
> shouldn't.

Or don't go when they should!

> * Drivers who let their kids lean on the 2 front seats when they should
> be strapped in at the back.

Get all they deserve!

--
Kevin Ward

Nick Finnigan

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <7hgvkf$23t$1...@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Barnaby Wood" <@barnabywood.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
> Nick Finnigan wrote in message ...
>> Well, there are a couple of roundabouts near my with 5 exits,
>>all single lane; generally 2 lanes at the entry. If you are
>>taking the 3rd exit ('straight on'), which lane should you use?
>>
>> In practice people use either, with no known deaths.
>
> Exactly. Were it the case that the roundabout was more than one lane wide
> and the exit was only one lane wide from the beginning,

Sorry, I meant the exits are single lane from the beginning;
the roundabouts themselves are more than one lane wide.

> anyone exiting from
> anything other than the left hand lane would cause congestion.

Hardly any traffic takes the 4th exit, so if congestion were
an issue, wouldn't it be better to use the left lane for the
first 2 exits, and the right lane for the 3rd (straight on)?

Simon

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
>People who flash at people who have front foglights on.

Why? As long as it doesn't affect any other traffic you may as well do
something to them. Or did you mean 'People who flash at me because I've got
my foglights on'?

Andrew Willoughby

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article: <Qsanwe...@yrl.co.uk> ni...@yrl.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
writes:

> In article <7hf7eb$d9q$3...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Barnaby Wood"
<@barnabywood.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> > Ian Forest wrote in message ...
>
> >> When approaching a roundabout and you wish to go straight on,

> >> you have the option of being in any lane...

That's not quite what the new Highway Code says. See below.

> Well, there are a couple of roundabouts near my with 5 exits,
> all single lane; generally 2 lanes at the entry. If you are
> taking the 3rd exit ('straight on'), which lane should you use?

Approach in the left-hand lane or centre lane on a three-lane
road (on a two lane road you may approach in the right-hand
ane if the left-hand lane is blocked)"

--
Andrew

Flash Harry

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Jo Maisey wrote in message <7hcdko$t6o$1...@news1.cableinet.co.uk>...

>My pet hates:
>People who refuse to let you in (ie drive 2 inches from the bumper in
front,
>resolutely looking forwards) when your lane disappears.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Some people just don't seem to realise that
lane's there for busy people like you and me, in our expensive cars, to push
straight to the front of the queue.

Andy F

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
>And what about people who you get stuck behind doing 40 in a 60 limit, and
>then carry on doing 40 when they get into a 30 zone?

Well said.

Kevin Ward

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Ian Forest <i...@dis2000.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> In a message dated Wed, 12 May 1999, Dave Plowman did speweth forth the
> following...
>

> > I have a mini roundabout at the end of my road at what used to be a
> >T-junction. I /think/ the highway code still says when approaching /any/

> >roundabout you must give way to vehicles on your right hand side. But
> >despite give way signs on all the entrances to the roundabout, people on
> >what used to be the main road still think they have priority.

> Ah! Yes, give way to drivers on the right, but only if they're on the
> roundabout. If they're approaching the roundabout, then YOU have right
> of way. A common mistake to make.

Are you sure about this?

I don't have my highway code to hand (It's in the car), but I don't
think that is true.

If I pull out of a roundabout and someone goes into the side of me, I
can say, "I was on the roundabout before them", can I?

--
Kevin Ward

Kevin Ward

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
<d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk> wrote:

> Just to even things a little, how about pet LIKES?
>
> Drivers who let you into a queue when they didn't have to.

I do that! ;-)

> Friendly policemen.

Contradiction in terms.

> Drivers who acknowledge a kind deed.

Especially when you do the kind deed and don't have to flash your
lights/wave them in - because they are reading the road well.

> Places you can park easily for free.

These places don't exsist!

> Your favourite road with no cars on.

They keep ruining my favourite roads with white lines, 40 mph limits and
GATSO's!

> Discovering you are not the only one with a particular pet hate.

he he!

--
Kevin Ward

Kevin Ward

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Neil <drav...@hotmailhiddenspamtrap.com> wrote:

> Hedgehog wrote in message <7hbv27$4e2$1...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>...

> >And what about people who you get stuck behind doing 40 in a 60 limit, and
> >then carry on doing 40 when they get into a 30 zone?
>

> Intensely annoying...is it ignorance, stupidity, or pure arrogance? I really
> wanna know... ;-)

I'd love to know too.

There is a road near where I live where them limits go 60 (Country road)
40 (or about a mile) 30 (Into a town centre). I will overtake them in
the 60 (AND get flashed!) when they are doing 40 - and then when I get
into town they come flying up behind me.

Strange thing is, it's not usually the boy racers - It's the middle aged
Mondeo driver.

--
Kevin Ward

Kevin Ward

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Tight Guard Security <carse...@freeuk.com> wrote:

> Pet hates:::
> Front fog lamps on in clear view.

May I ask why? (I don't have front fogs on my car - but I don't have a
problem with them. )

--
Kevin Ward

Barnaby Wood

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Nick Finnigan wrote in message ...
> Hardly any traffic takes the 4th exit, so if congestion were
>an issue, wouldn't it be better to use the left lane for the
>first 2 exits, and the right lane for the 3rd (straight on)?

I can't comment on individual cases. I think the problem lies with people
who don't practice lane discipline and move across the roundabout as they go
around it if they choose to start on the inside. Instead the either cut up
other traffic or follow the outside all the way round to their exit.

Barney

d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Barnaby Wood wrote:
>> Ah! Yes, give way to drivers on the right, but only if they're on the
>> roundabout. If they're approaching the roundabout, then YOU have right of
>> way. A common mistake to make.
> Surely that amounts to the same thing. If they're approaching the
> roundabout, you should only go on to the roundabout if there's time. Its
> specific to each case surely.

No, without checking the specific phrasing is I believe 'give way to
traffic already on the roundabout'. This means you have right of way if
you cross the line before the guy to your right. In practice you are
likely to get sideswiped if you always do this. I've been flashed more
than once by some moron who hasn't slowed down at all (& probably going too
fast), when I have started from rest when he was a way away (or not yet
visible). It's the flashing I object to BTW. I can easily be on the other
side of this if I'm moving and can see nothing to my right, and yes it's
irritating if a slow car gets in your way but I really have no argument
with them, just a part of driving.

Dan
--
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d71tbg

d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
John Laird wrote:
>> Pedestrians who very carefully look every way but yours.
> Pedestrians who sprint half-way across the road while in no danger, and
> then dawdle the last few feet, avoiding a collision by inches.

Yep, hate them too. Can I add as well drivers who think it is clever to
keep as far into the side as possible when approaching parked vehicles,
only to swing out suddenly to avoid them? In the process intruding more
into the other side than they would with a gradual manouevre and,
incidentally, scaring the living shit out of me.

>> Just to even things a little, how about pet LIKES?
>> Drivers who let you into a queue when they didn't have to.

>> Friendly policemen.

>> Drivers who acknowledge a kind deed.

>> Girls in cars who smile at you.
>> Sunny days with a clear road, music and the windows down.

>> Places you can park easily for free.

>> Your favourite road with no cars on.

> Blimey, which planet is this ?

I detect a touch of cynicism. That just won't do.

Where do you live? Here in the NorthEast this sort of thing is indeed
possible. Police in cars are quite friendly 75% of the time (even the lady
whose riot van could not go as fast as my Fiesta, such a shame she had no
vascar); I've been clocked speeding many times with just a warning (52.8 in
a 30 was the worst) but police in some other parts seem to relish throwing
the book. Outside city centres you can park anywhere and the roads are
often clear. Not often ENOUGH but then you wouldn't appreciate it. I used
to have a virtually clear run on my 12 mile country road return trip to
college, bar the odd easily taken slow car. Not so in Durham during rush
hour!

Oh and I think we had a sunny day once.

Dan
--
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d71tbg

d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Tight Guard Security wrote:
> Pet hates:::
> Slow drivers on country roads doing 30

Don't mind, I like overtaking. The worst are the ones going JUST slower
than you want to. Enough to hold you up but just too fast to overtake
safely, AARRRRRRRGH.

--
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d71tbg

d.c.b...@durham.ac.uk

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Ben Holness wrote:
> My suggestion for the solution to drivers who drive to close to you (this
> may be a little dangerous, but):
> 1. Ensure that no other cars are behind the car that is behind you (Very
> important)
> 2. Touch brake very gently (so that your brakelights come on, but you do not
> actually slow down)
> 3. Turn hazard lights on
> This usually gets the message through!

My version: briefly slam the brakes like hell so the nose dips but keep the
power on. They usually retreat. Quite far. If they're really too close
I'll slow down gradually then floor it which usually makes them worse but
at least it pisses them off.

NB I only do this if showing the lights doesn't work or in quite a bad
mood.

Dan
--
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d71tbg

Ian Forest

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In a message dated Thu, 13 May 1999, Barnaby Wood did speweth forth the
following...

>That assumes that the exit lane is also two lanes, otherwise you're going to
>start killing people.

Of course, I failed to mention the fact that you should move over to the
inside lane when you have passed the previous exit but indicate left
BEFORE doing this to alert other drivers to your intentions.

Ian Forest

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In a message dated Thu, 13 May 1999, Neil did speweth forth the
following...

>Not sure I'd bother about the hazards, but I think the rest is pretty much
>as per the HC, isn't it? ie touch your brakes so the driver behind can kinda
>see your brake lights?

You can achieve 3 results from this.

1. They will slow down and move back
2. They will get annoyed and drive even closer
3. They will get so pissed off, sound their horn and overtake
at high speed giving you 'the fingers' as they drive past

Ian Forest

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In a message dated Wed, 12 May 1999, peter booth did speweth forth the
following...

>Another thing that gets to me is when drivers pick there noses and just as

>they draw level when overtaking, eat it.............

...or wipe it under their seat or flick it out of the sunroof...
of course, i don't do this! <grin>

Ian Forest

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In a message dated Thu, 13 May 1999, peter booth did speweth forth the
following...

>Depends on the size of the snot box surely. I`ll tell you what though, I
>would love to flick one on a KA.

And watch it dissapear before your very eyes as the green stuff
envelopes itself around the car with a big arse.

Ian Forest

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In a message dated Thu, 13 May 1999, Adrian Vickers did speweth forth
the following...

>> I get mightily pissed off at this, I get so annoyed that I just put my
>> foot down, and so (usually) do all the others. :(
>
>If I'm in the same situation myself, I don't stop unless the car in the
>next junction anti-clockwise has already started moving. In the event of
>further confusion, large quantities of horn tend to sort things out...

I will have to adopt this policy...just get my horn checked out first...

Ian Forest

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In a message dated Thu, 13 May 1999, Barnaby Wood did speweth forth the
following...

>>Ah! Yes, give way to drivers on the right, but only if they're on the

>roundabout. If they're approaching the roundabout, then YOU have right of
>way. A common mistake to make.
>>
>Surely that amounts to the same thing. If they're approaching the
>roundabout, you should only go on to the roundabout if there's time. Its
>specific to each case surely.

Well, hmm, if they have no intention of stopping then yes, don't go on.
It's all down to how well they've read the HC. If you're already on it,
they have to stop regardless of wether you're on the right or the left.
Again, if you've just entered it and a the car approaching from the
right enters it AFTER you and you collide, then it is they who are at
fault.

Hugh

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
People dawdling in the overtaking lanes - usually BMWs

Rear fog lights in fair visibility

Horseboxes that never pull over on single carriageways.

People that join a motorway and move straight in to lane 2 at 50 mph for no
reason.

People that obscure all their back lights by hanging 6 bikes on the back of
their underpowered Frontera.

How do I wind people up? I overtake people in very fast cars with lots of
points on their licence in my little shopping kart (Micra 1.3). When I had
a re-chipped 2.0L car I used to hate people like me.

Roll on long winter nights with foul weather when the M25 is not packed with
Sunday drivers.

Kevin Ward <Ke...@circlesquare.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Matthew Moss <matth...@currantbun.com> wrote:
>
> > Pricks driving their nova sr's with their baseball caps on backwards, up
> > your arse in their shopping trolleys when your in a car with like 200bhp
> > more!!!!
>
> A perfect time to test your brakes ;-)
>
> --
> Kevin Ward