# HOW DO I REMOVE NG POSTINGS

G3ZVT

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
I AM NEW TO NEWS GROUPS
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW LONG MY POSTINGS WILL STAY UP
WHO REMOVES THEM
AND IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN REMOVE MY OWN POSTINGS MYSELF
73
GRAHAM

Reg Edwards

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
Tidying up -

If you are using Internet Explorer-5, click on 'Tools', 'Options',
'Mainenance', 'Clean up files', etc.

There is something similar via 'Options' if you are using IE-4 but I
have forgotten the details.

Someone else may be able to tell you how long service providers keep
messages stored in their memory banks. I've often wondered.

Reg

Laurie Hill

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
G3ZVT wrote:

> IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN REMOVE MY OWN POSTINGS MYSELF

Yes, Use 'Cancel Message'.

--
Laurie (G6ISY)

Nathan

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
In article <7mbdnt$62q$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, G3ZVT <gra...@rabstaff.fr
eeserve.co.uk> writes

>I AM NEW TO NEWS GROUPS
>CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW LONG MY POSTINGS WILL STAY UP
>WHO REMOVES THEM
>AND IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN REMOVE MY OWN POSTINGS MYSELF
>73
>GRAHAM

Hi Graham

1) Stop SHOUTING! It's too much on a Monday!
2) You can cancel your own postings, so they vanish from the server.
3) If you were too late they will have been archived for ever (See
www.deja.com)
4) Most ISP's hold onto news for 4-8 days before expiring it from their
servers. They are still available to read (See point 3)

What ISP/Newsreader are you using?

73
--
Nathan
Communication Eleven CB Mailorder

Gareth paley

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99

G3ZVT wrote:

> I AM NEW TO NEWS GROUPS
> CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW LONG MY POSTINGS WILL STAY UP
> WHO REMOVES THEM
> AND IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN REMOVE MY OWN POSTINGS MYSELF
> 73
> GRAHAM

Everything you post will be archived by one or more organisation. e.g.
www.dejanews.com. The chances are that they will have received your
posting before you decide to "cancel it". I've often wondered what the
ulterior motives are behind their business. Just think what will happen
in twenty years time when the guy running for president/prime minister
turns out to have posted an advert on some dodgey personals NG.

I'd be careful if I were you !!