R U QTHR?

Len GM0ONX

Aug 21, 2010, 2:35:59 PM8/21/10
Is this the original Radio Amateur's Call book?

http://www.ayrshirehistory.eu/tadx/map_radio_map_of_britain.html

Message has been deleted

Johnny Melvin

Aug 21, 2010, 4:36:14 PM8/21/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

> Is this the original Radio Amateur's Call book?
>
> http://www.ayrshirehistory.eu/tadx/map_radio_map_of_britain.html

I lived 12 miles from Cullercoats GCC I could hear them very well lol.
Cw was mint stuff.

Its where you went to take the CW test in the "old days " for your RAE
Pass,.

Don't get me started.

de Johnny G3LIV

G4KFK

Aug 21, 2010, 5:15:06 PM8/21/10

When did GKB QSY from Northolt to Portishead....?

Able Baker

Aug 21, 2010, 5:29:03 PM8/21/10

"Johnny Melvin" <joh...@melvin.com> wrote in message

As I remember it, the CW test in the "old days" was a seperate test and
nothing actually to do with the RAE, except to gain an amateur radio licence
(or a PMG certificate) you were required to obtain a pass in the CW test and
the RAE. The CW pass was only valid for 12 months, so unless you gained a
pass in the RAE within that time, you would have to take and pass the CW
test again to obtain your "ticket".

Johnny Melvin

Aug 21, 2010, 6:15:58 PM8/21/10

"Able Baker" <able....@charlie.delta.com> wrote in message
Yes that's right.
I did mean to obtain a license.
It needed BOTH parts passed.
And as you say the CW pass only lasted 12 months.

I never bought a mike for some thing like 5 years.
ALL CW..

IF memory serves me right.
You had to stay on CW for a year minimum.
Then the MAN visited from the GPO and checked you had
at least 50 Qsos in the log before passing you fit to have a mike.
If he was not satisfied I think he extended the CW ONLY by
another period.
Seems an excellent idea to me.

de Johnny G3LIV

John

Aug 22, 2010, 2:39:35 AM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" wrote

> Is this the original Radio Amateur's Call book?
>
> http://www.ayrshirehistory.eu/tadx/map_radio_map_of_britain.html

Its quite interesting to see the distributions - relatively large clusters
in Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Sheffiled, Liverpool, Bristol and Chelmsford
(no doubt due to the Marconi Factory), but no amateurs in the Greater London
area, only in the outer suburbs.

Wales and Scotland are virtual radio wastelands.

FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI

Aug 22, 2010, 3:10:18 AM8/22/10
"Johnny Melvin" <joh...@melvin.com> wrote in message
I know times and attitudes have changed over the years, but were the QSOs in
your log verified in any way?
--
;-)
.

Ian Jackson

Aug 22, 2010, 3:21:53 AM8/22/10
In message <V34co.130599$6C1.82668@hurricane>, FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI
<g3...@turner-smith.co.uK> writes

>"Johnny Melvin" <joh...@melvin.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Able Baker" <able....@charlie.delta.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Johnny Melvin" <joh...@melvin.com> wrote in message

>>> As I remember it, the CW test in the "old days" was a seperate test
>>>and nothing actually to do with the RAE, except to gain an amateur
>>>radio licence (or a PMG certificate) you were required to obtain a
>>>pass in the CW test and the RAE. The CW pass was only valid for 12
>>>months, so unless you gained a pass in the RAE within that time, you
>>>take and pass the CW test again to obtain your "ticket".
>>>

>> Yes that's right.
>> I did mean to obtain a license.
>> It needed BOTH parts passed.
>> And as you say the CW pass only lasted 12 months.
>>
>> I never bought a mike for some thing like 5 years.
>> ALL CW..
>>
>> IF memory serves me right.
>> You had to stay on CW for a year minimum.
>> Then the MAN visited from the GPO and checked you had
>> at least 50 Qsos in the log before passing you fit to have a mike.
>> If he was not satisfied I think he extended the CW ONLY by
>> another period.
>> Seems an excellent idea to me.
>>
>> de Johnny G3LIV
>I know times and attitudes have changed over the years, but were the
>QSOs in your log verified in any way?

Although this was a bit before my time, I suspect that, in those days,
the GPO inspectors were pretty familiar with who was active on the
various amateur bands, and were pretty adept at spotting forgeries and
wishful thinkings. Some were themselves licensed (if not particularly
active), but usually kept this quiet.
--
Ian

lu...@eternal-flames.gov

Aug 22, 2010, 4:08:48 AM8/22/10
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 08:21:53 +0100, Ian Jackson
<ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Although this was a bit before my time, I suspect that, in those days,
>the GPO inspectors were pretty familiar with who was active on the
>various amateur bands, and were pretty adept at spotting forgeries and
>wishful thinkings. Some were themselves licensed (if not particularly
>active), but usually kept this quiet.

So what we need is an amateur who was licenced and active in 1925(?)

Where's Wlat this morning? :-)

Nick.

Able Baker

Aug 22, 2010, 6:23:53 AM8/22/10

"John" <Jo...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

The map shows locations of BBC regional stations - not amateurs.
(2MT Writtle and 2LO London for example)

John

Aug 22, 2010, 6:38:32 AM8/22/10

"Able Baker" wrote in message

>>> Is this the original Radio Amateur's Call book?
>>>
>>> http://www.ayrshirehistory.eu/tadx/map_radio_map_of_britain.html
>>

>> Its quite interesting to see the distributions - relatively large
>> clusters in Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Sheffiled, Liverpool, Bristol and
>> Chelmsford (no doubt due to the Marconi Factory), but no amateurs in the
>> Greater London area, only in the outer suburbs.
>>
>> Wales and Scotland are virtual radio wastelands.
>
> The map shows locations of BBC regional stations - not amateurs.
> (2MT Writtle and 2LO London for example)

Surely too many stations in places like Birmingham to be BBC regional
stations?

M0WWS

Aug 22, 2010, 6:46:13 AM8/22/10

"Able Baker" <able....@charlie.delta.com> wrote in message
Yes it does

pre WWII 2 callsigns we converted to G2 after the war

I knew (G)2VO when I was a kid and he lived in Cononley.

I'm guessing 5 calls were foreigners (converted to G5 ?)

10-10deG1LVN
------------------------
Amateur Radio: Social Networking since 1897

M0WWS

Aug 22, 2010, 6:46:51 AM8/22/10

"John" <Jo...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
Looks at the key on the map.

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 7:02:40 AM8/22/10

G5 + 3 letters were non UK nationals, not sure about G5 +2 Were Louis
Varney G5RV and Jack Hum G5UM both foreign?

Message has been deleted

John

Aug 22, 2010, 7:06:04 AM8/22/10

"John" wrote

> .............but no amateurs in the Greater London area, only in the outer
> suburbs.

Doh - I've just noticed the insert in the top right corner detailing the
amateurs in the Greater London Area.

John

Aug 22, 2010, 7:10:35 AM8/22/10

"Able Baker" wrote

> The map shows locations of BBC regional stations - not amateurs.
> (2MT Writtle and 2LO London for example)

I think in 1920 2LO and 2MT were classed as experimental stations. Also at
this time the BBC didn't exist - it was incorporated a couple of years later
(1923?)

Johnny Melvin

Aug 22, 2010, 7:12:55 AM8/22/10

"FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI" <g3...@turner-smith.co.uK> wrote in message

> "Johnny Melvin" <joh...@melvin.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Able Baker" <able....@charlie.delta.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Johnny Melvin" <joh...@melvin.com> wrote in message

>> IF memory serves me right.
>> You had to stay on CW for a year minimum.
>> Then the MAN visited from the GPO and checked you had
>> at least 50 Qsos in the log before passing you fit to have a mike.
>> If he was not satisfied I think he extended the CW ONLY by
>> another period.
>> Seems an excellent idea to me.
>>
>> de Johnny G3LIV
> I know times and attitudes have changed over the years, but were the QSOs
> in your log verified in any way?
> --
> ;-)
> .
> 73 de Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI - mine's a pint.

Hi,

Not that I remember, but you did not TELL LIES to the GPO man.
That could I suppose loose you your license.
My log had 100s of cw contacts in lol.
I still have my original logs someplace

I remember Mr Gascoigne ( the GPO man ) he knew what went on believe you
me.

de Johnny G3LIV

M0WWS

Aug 22, 2010, 7:41:09 AM8/22/10

"Chronos" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> M0WWS wrote:
>
>> I knew (G)2VO when I was a kid and he lived in Cononley.
>
> Artificial aerial licences in the twenties, IIRC.

>> I'm guessing 5 calls were foreigners (converted to G5 ?)
>
> Full transmitting licences, again if memory serves. I don't think Jack
> Hum 5UM was a foreigner.

Yeah that's right 2 calls were artificial aerial licencees

http://www.winforce.org.uk/MMARS/licence3.htm

Ian Jackson

Aug 22, 2010, 7:58:28 AM8/22/10
In message <i4r04c$idq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Len GM0ONX
<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> writes

Errrr...
No, Len.
No.
--
Ian

Message has been deleted

John

Aug 22, 2010, 8:34:06 AM8/22/10

"M0WWS" wrote

>>> I'm guessing 5 calls were foreigners (converted to G5 ?)

Those "5" calls were issued in the 1960s/70s - such as G5AGX etc.

>> Full transmitting licences, again if memory serves. I don't think Jack
>> Hum 5UM was a foreigner.
>
> Yeah that's right 2 calls were artificial aerial licencees

"2" + 3 letter calls such as "2AAA" were AA licences - calls with two
suffix letters were transmitting licences

Message has been deleted

No spam please

Aug 22, 2010, 9:16:22 AM8/22/10
"M0WWS" <gareth...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The "G" prefix was in use before World War 2.
"World at Their Fingertips" carries a report, written in 1934, of the first
UK - ZL QSO which took place in 1924. It shows the UK end of the QSO as G2ZS
and not 2ZS.
The "G" prefix was definitely in use by the time the Spring 1937 Flying
Horse callbook was published.
The "AA2 licences did not have a prefix.

John

Aug 22, 2010, 9:28:03 AM8/22/10

"Chronos" wrote

>> "2" + 3 letter calls such as "2AAA" were AA licences - calls with
>> two suffix letters were transmitting licences
>

> Ah, so all 2+2 and 5+2 calls were full transmitting licences?

AFAIK - yes

M0WWS

Aug 22, 2010, 10:04:31 AM8/22/10

"John" <Jo...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
Thanks for that.

Message has been deleted

John

Aug 22, 2010, 10:54:59 AM8/22/10

> Thank you for the information, John. Come to think of it, it would be
> a bit pointless putting non-radiating locations on a map of
> transmitting stations.

Taking it a stage further, AFAIK all two letter suffix licences were
transmitting licences, including "3"+ 2, "4"+ 2, "6"+ 2 and "8" + 2.

I don't think any "1", "7", "9" or "0" series calls were issued in the
pre-war years.

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 11:16:49 AM8/22/10

> IF memory serves me right.
> You had to stay on CW for a year minimum.
> Then the MAN visited from the GPO and checked you had
> at least 50 Qsos in the log before passing you fit to have a mike.
> If he was not satisfied I think he extended the CW ONLY by
> another period.
> Seems an excellent idea to me.
>
> de Johnny G3LIV

you don't like brian as well? ........

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 11:17:34 AM8/22/10

That's what I thought!

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 11:19:10 AM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 13:33, Brian Morrison wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 12:02:40 +0100
> Len GM0ONX<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote:
>
>> G5 + 3 letters were non UK nationals, not sure about G5 +2 Were Louis
>> Varney G5RV and Jack Hum G5UM both foreign?
>
> No, you're trying to apply the later G5 series rules from the 1970s to
> what was done pre-WWII for the 2 letter calls.

No I wasn't, I was questioning someone else's statement.

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 11:22:38 AM8/22/10
On 21/08/2010 23:15, Johnny Melvin wrote:
> "Able Baker"<able....@charlie.delta.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Johnny Melvin"<joh...@melvin.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Len GM0ONX"<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

>>> I lived 12 miles from Cullercoats GCC I could hear them very well lol.
>>> Cw was mint stuff.
>>>
>>> Its where you went to take the CW test in the "old days " for your RAE
>>> Pass,.
>>
>> As I remember it, the CW test in the "old days" was a seperate test and
>> nothing actually to do with the RAE, except to gain an amateur radio
>> licence (or a PMG certificate) you were required to obtain a pass in the
>> CW test and the RAE. The CW pass was only valid for 12 months, so unless
>> you gained a pass in the RAE within that time, you would have to take and

>> pass the CW test again to obtain your "ticket".
>>

> Yes that's right.
> I did mean to obtain a license.
> It needed BOTH parts passed.
> And as you say the CW pass only lasted 12 months.
>
> I never bought a mike for some thing like 5 years.
> ALL CW..
>
> IF memory serves me right.
> You had to stay on CW for a year minimum.
> Then the MAN visited from the GPO and checked you had
> at least 50 Qsos in the log before passing you fit to have a mike.
> If he was not satisfied I think he extended the CW ONLY by
> another period.
> Seems an excellent idea to me.
>
> de Johnny G3LIV

Let's go one better and bring back the AA licence as well. Its just as
relevant after all. Who need to transmit RF in an internet age! :-)

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 11:27:24 AM8/22/10

> Some were themselves licensed (if not particularly
> active), but usually kept this quiet.
> Ian

quite right as well...no place for professional hams lording it over
non-professionals .......

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 11:28:37 AM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
good point well made.....thought you were going to hit johnny with your CW
parrot there for a minute .......

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 11:29:24 AM8/22/10

> Wales and Scotland are virtual radio wastelands.

and still are occupied by the odd pirate scumbag .......

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 11:44:16 AM8/22/10

As opposed to CW operators (not those that just passed the test) trying
to lord it over non CW operators?

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 11:45:03 AM8/22/10
Never, Johnny is a gentleman unlike some on here!

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 11:45:48 AM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 16:29, GM4DHJ ... wrote:
>> Wales and Scotland are virtual radio wastelands.
>>

> and still are occupied by the odd pirate scumbag .......

And the odd grumpy radio old fart! :-)

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 11:50:48 AM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
no .....

Johnny Melvin

Aug 22, 2010, 11:51:40 AM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
Sorry Len.

But don't you think just getting a station working for the challenge of
working
that distant station is the whole point.

Unlike the internet connections.

Its the CHALLENGE my dear fellow.

de Johnny G3LIV

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:02:04 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
> Is this the original Radio Amateur's Call book?
>
> http://www.ayrshirehistory.eu/tadx/map_radio_map_of_britain.html

RENFREW RADIO ....I'm on there .........GER must stand for the wife
GERaldine .......

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:03:06 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

yes and your good self ....

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:03:50 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

what? ......

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:04:38 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

so you just use the parrot on nice chaps from Dublin? .........

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:09:43 PM8/22/10

"GM4DHJ ..." <JIM.G...@NTLWORLD.COM> wrote in message
sorry ....yes I see what you mean ...all those people like big jack who went
to the nautical college and never went to sea...I see what you are getting
at .......

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 12:32:04 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 16:51, Johnny Melvin wrote:

> Sorry Len.
>
> But don't you think just getting a station working for the challenge of
> working
> that distant station is the whole point.
>
> Unlike the internet connections.
>
> Its the CHALLENGE my dear fellow.
>
> de Johnny G3LIV

I'm not disagreeing with you, if all I wanted to do was talk I'd use the
phone. I just believe that the value of CW test (which I did pass at
12WPM) and CW is overplayed and the ability to use CW has no bearing on
someone's technical ability. It is supposed to be a technical pursuit
after all.

The CW Taliban on here would have you believe that their version of
amateur radio is the one true light and there is no value in any other
version of amateur radio.

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 12:33:41 PM8/22/10

At your end of Glasgow is more like like to be RanGERs.

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 12:34:08 PM8/22/10

Proudly so!

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:34:39 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

that's it... Geehad time .......

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 12:36:23 PM8/22/10

This NG is famous for its 'I'm better than you' attitude. Wha's like us
etc etc!

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:38:11 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

I don't understand anything to do with fitba .......

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:41:31 PM8/22/10

> This NG is famous for its 'I'm better than you' attitude. Wha's like us
> etc etc!

ideal spot for the big farmer then .......

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 12:44:05 PM8/22/10

Yep, because he was a one trick pony who could get his facts right. The
best one was when he went on about needing a CW pass for a reciprocal
licence from Malaysia. Not only did a UK radio amateur not need a CW
test pass for a reciprocal licence but Irish amateurs couldn't even get
a automatic reciprocal licence with a CW pass as there was no reciprocal
arrangements with Ireland. Laughed I nearly joined RAOTA!

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 12:46:27 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 17:09, GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Now there is a REAL radio amateur! He'd knock spots off you either
using CW or on technical matters!

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 12:47:55 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 17:38, GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> "Len GM0ONX"<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
>> On 22/08/2010 17:02, GM4DHJ ... wrote:
>>> "Len GM0ONX"<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

>>> RENFREW RADIO ....I'm on there .........GER must stand for the wife
>>> GERaldine .......
>>>

>> At your end of Glasgow is more like like to be RanGERs.
>>

> I don't understand anything to do with fitba .......

You don't have to, I hate fitba too!

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:48:29 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

I would hope so with all that professional training .......

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 12:48:59 PM8/22/10

Or you by condemning ALL MM3s/MM6's automatically!

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:49:56 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

well I think he was correct ......

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:50:29 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

you have good points then ......

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:51:46 PM8/22/10

> Or you by condemning ALL MM3s/MM6's automatically!

no some are OK like yeti ...but few and far between ........

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:52:30 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

you mean brian? .......

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:54:14 PM8/22/10

"GM4DHJ ..." <JIM.G...@NTLWORLD.COM> wrote in message
anyway you have just proved my point about the professional in amateur radio

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 12:56:03 PM8/22/10

"GM4DHJ ..." <JIM.G...@NTLWORLD.COM> wrote in message
oops...I have just thought of another example in relation to dead star

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 1:05:45 PM8/22/10

And you point is?

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 1:06:16 PM8/22/10

No he was CORRECTED!

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 1:09:04 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 17:51, GM4DHJ ... wrote:
>> Or you by condemning ALL MM3s/MM6's automatically!
>>

> no some are OK like yeti ...but few and far between ........

I could think of a few more as well! Mind you there are a few numpties
too but I treat callsign holders as individuals.

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 1:13:21 PM8/22/10

No you haven't you, just have an inferiority complex! He's much cleaver
at electronic (and curling) than I am, so what, I'm still enjoying
amateur radio.

M0WWS

Aug 22, 2010, 11:40:55 AM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

> Let's go one better and bring back the AA licence as well.

We have haven't we ?

Foundation Licence is limited to 10 watts

AA licence was limited to 10 watts (meansured at the anode of the valve
delivering power to the aerial circuit) :

see scan of conditions here: http://www.winforce.org.uk/MMARS/licence3.htm

10-10deG1LVN
------------------------
Amateur Radio: Social Networking since 1897

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 1:32:45 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
doesn't bother me one way or another...I get on well with Jack...just
pointing him out as an example of what we were talking about...

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 1:33:25 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

OK I give up...you don't get my point ...

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 1:33:32 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 16:40, M0WWS wrote:
> "Len GM0ONX"<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>> Let's go one better and bring back the AA licence as well.
>
> We have haven't we ?
>
> Foundation Licence is limited to 10 watts
>
> AA licence was limited to 10 watts (meansured at the anode of the valve
> delivering power to the aerial circuit) :
>
> see scan of conditions here: http://www.winforce.org.uk/MMARS/licence3.htm

True but even a store bought G5RV is better than a dummy load!

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 1:35:02 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 18:32, GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Yes but it doesn't address your statement that radio/electronic
professional shouldn't be radio amateurs. Why not!

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 1:35:57 PM8/22/10

You don't have one.

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 1:38:01 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
but not much as I found out when I tried one .......

Yeti

Aug 22, 2010, 1:46:51 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 17:32, Len GM0ONX wrote:
> On 22/08/2010 16:51, Johnny Melvin wrote:
>>
>> Sorry Len.
>>
>> But don't you think just getting a station working for the challenge of
>> working
>> that distant station is the whole point.
>>
>> Unlike the internet connections.
>>
>> Its the CHALLENGE my dear fellow.
>>
>> de Johnny G3LIV
>>

> I'm not disagreeing with you, if all I wanted to do was talk I'd use the
> phone. I just believe that the value of CW test (which I did pass at
> 12WPM) and CW is overplayed and the ability to use CW has no bearing on
> someone's technical ability. It is supposed to be a technical pursuit
> after all.
>
> The CW Taliban on here would have you believe that their version of
> amateur radio is the one true light and there is no value in any other
> version of amateur radio.

CW taliban?

What's next? Suicide bombing repeaters? Oh wait...

Yeti

Aug 22, 2010, 1:48:38 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 17:38, GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> "Len GM0ONX"<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
>> On 22/08/2010 17:02, GM4DHJ ... wrote:
>>> "Len GM0ONX"<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

>>> RENFREW RADIO ....I'm on there .........GER must stand for the wife
>>> GERaldine .......
>>>

>> At your end of Glasgow is more like like to be RanGERs.
>>

> I don't understand anything to do with fitba .......

Two big goals, one each end. 10 guys each team chase a ball, trying to
kick it into the goal at the other end, one guy on each team stands at
the goals and tries to stop it going in.

After the game is finished, the fans try to beat each other up.

That help?

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 1:47:45 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 18:38, GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> "Len GM0ONX"<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
>> On 22/08/2010 16:40, M0WWS wrote:
>>> "Len GM0ONX"<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message

>>> We have haven't we ?
>>>
>>> Foundation Licence is limited to 10 watts
>>>
>>> AA licence was limited to 10 watts (meansured at the anode of the valve
>>> delivering power to the aerial circuit) :
>>>
>>> see scan of conditions here:
>>> http://www.winforce.org.uk/MMARS/licence3.htm
>>>

>> True but even a store bought G5RV is better than a dummy load!
>>

> but not much as I found out when I tried one .......

They are unbelievably bad, Louis Varney must be spinning in this grave.

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 1:48:29 PM8/22/10

Don't give Walt ideas Gordon!

Yeti

Aug 22, 2010, 1:51:19 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 16:40, M0WWS wrote:
> "Len GM0ONX"<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>> Let's go one better and bring back the AA licence as well.
>
> We have haven't we ?
>
> Foundation Licence is limited to 10 watts
>
> AA licence was limited to 10 watts (meansured at the anode of the valve
> delivering power to the aerial circuit) :
>
> see scan of conditions here: http://www.winforce.org.uk/MMARS/licence3.htm

You mean it wasn't measured at the aerial itself? :P

Yeti

Aug 22, 2010, 1:52:26 PM8/22/10

Ah, the 'Store bought GR5V'... that classic beginners HF aerial...

:P

Yeti

Aug 22, 2010, 1:53:03 PM8/22/10

This a bad time to point out that my first entry into radio was working
on VHF high band taxi rigs?

Steve Terry

Aug 22, 2010, 2:24:26 PM8/22/10
"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
It saves time.

After all anyone operating without passing RAE before 2002
was a pirate, so as far as I'm concerned anyone after 2002 is as well.

Anyone who says otherwise is simply supporting piracy.

Steve Terry
--
"I would like to plead for my right to investigate natural phenomena
without having guns pointed at me.

Message has been deleted

M0WYM

Aug 22, 2010, 2:30:20 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/10 19:24, Steve Terry wrote:

> Anyone who says otherwise is simply supporting piracy.
>
> Steve Terry

Or questioning your personal world view!

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sales @ radiowymsey
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/gnome7763/m.html?

Steve Terry

Aug 22, 2010, 2:38:09 PM8/22/10

"M0WYM" <nospa...@radiowymsey.org> wrote in message

> On 22/08/10 19:24, Steve Terry wrote:
>>
>> Anyone who says otherwise is simply supporting piracy.
>> Steve Terry
>
> Or questioning your personal world view!
> M0WYM

You would say that.
So please tell me why in your opinion, not having the RAE before
2002 made an operator a pirate, but after 2002 doesn't?

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 2:43:00 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 19:24, Steve Terry wrote:
> "Len GM0ONX"<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> ideal spot for the big farmer then .......
>>
>> Or you by condemning ALL MM3s/MM6's automatically!
>>

> It saves time.
>
> After all anyone operating without passing RAE before 2002
> was a pirate, so as far as I'm concerned anyone after 2002 is as well.
>
> Anyone who says otherwise is simply supporting piracy.
>
> Steve Terry

Before or after 2002 is neither here or there. There is at one well
known G3 on here that I know was a pirate, so its nothing new.

At the risk of being pedantic passing a RAE is not the same as holding a
licence, I've had one longer than the other.

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 2:48:17 PM8/22/10

Because he passed an RAE before 2002? Only guessing :-)

Message has been deleted

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 3:16:45 PM8/22/10

>> I don't understand anything to do with fitba .......
>>

> Two big goals, one each end. 10 guys each team chase a ball, trying to
> kick it into the goal at the other end, one guy on each team stands at the
> goals and tries to stop it going in.
>
> After the game is finished, the fans try to beat each other up.
>
> That help?

you forgot about the religious bigoted aspect ......

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 3:17:52 PM8/22/10

"Yeti" <ye...@ayrshore.com> wrote in message

been done ....

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 3:20:24 PM8/22/10

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
if every FL was issued with one for just one more cornflake packet top they
wouldn't hang about to annoy us very long ...they would be back to the
antron and 555 ........

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 3:21:36 PM8/22/10
On 22/08/2010 19:52, Chronos wrote:

> Len GM0ONX wrote:
>
>> Before or after 2002 is neither here or there. There is at one well
>> known G3 on here that I know was a pirate, so its nothing new.
>
> There was a lot of piracy in the early days, a lot of it with RX LOs
> modulated or keyed in creative ways. The difference is that, back
> then, it took a bit of skill and wasn't simply a case of connecting up
> a black box, so you could be almost certain that the "pirate" would
> legitimise as soon as funds, time and the GPO allowed.
>
> Still, it's hardly the fault of the new licensees. It the system that
> stinks, not the people forced into it.

Agreed, but some on here are too full of themselves to see that!

Len GM0ONX

Aug 22, 2010, 3:23:17 PM8/22/10

I don't think they killed themselves, they're not that stupid.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

GM4DHJ ...

Aug 22, 2010, 3:48:36 PM8/22/10

> Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>>> I don't think they killed themselves, they're not that stupid.
>>
>> Clearly they did not believe sufficiently....
>
> Radio amateurs, Brian. Can you imagine the state of the virgins
> awaiting them in paradise?
> Chronos

I think it must be the only way they can get virgins as there are none in
Paisley .......

It is loading more messages.