u.m.f rollcall

Jacey Bedford

Mar 29, 2010, 7:09:54 AM3/29/10
OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
to say hello, with or withut details.

Me, for one....

Jacey Bedford, West Yorkshire

Artisan: http://www.artisan-harmony.com

Jacey Bedford Tour Management:
http://www.jacey-bedford.com

Birdsedge Village Festival:
http://www.birdsedgevillagefestival.org

Birdsedge Live:
http://www,birdsedge.co.uk/live.htm

Park Head Studio: http://www.parkheadstudio.co.uk

--
Jacey Bedford

Matthew Vernon

Mar 29, 2010, 7:19:30 AM3/29/10
Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid> writes:

> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be
> shy to say hello, with or withut details.

I lurk. I played with the Big Round Band in Cambridge a few years ago,
but don't do much ATM.

Matthew

--
Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
http://www.pick.ucam.org

Peter Corser

Mar 29, 2010, 7:20:52 AM3/29/10
Hi Jacey

I'm still here - mainly a lurker, but occasionally have something I think
might be worthwhile to post.

Long time (50 years or so) Folk Song, Music & Dance enthusiast . I have
never been able to sing in any way which could be described as listenable,
am, at best, a poor musician and am now too crocked to dance! I can still
listen!

Peter
"Jacey Bedford" <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Peter & Elizabeth Corser
Leighton Buzzard, UK

JF

Mar 29, 2010, 7:27:17 AM3/29/10
Jacey Bedford wrote:
> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
> to say hello, with or withut details.

Jacey, we're all too busy practising to post...

JF

Chris J Dixon

Mar 29, 2010, 7:59:23 AM3/29/10
Jacey Bedford wrote:

>OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>to say hello, with or withut details.

My first experience of live folk music was back in 1965.

Barnsley had just built a shiny new YMCA, which had a nice big
stage, which had been booked before the stage had any fittings
whatsoever. I was around because I was into Hospital
Broadcasting, and Radio Barnsley was based there With a mate we
were tasked with getting some lights working. The best we could
manage was a length of festoon lighting cable with as many 500 W
GLS lamps as we dared screw into it, and a backdrop of games
netting to make it look a little less bare.

I found myself a perch in the flies, and watched proceedings.

Dave Burland was MC, and as far as I can remember, the guests
included the McPeake Family and Pete Sayers.

In the next few years I was a regular at Barnsley Folk Club and
Manchester's MSG.

In the 80s, I discovered ceilidhs.

My attendance at song and dance events has been up and down over
the years, and my sig implies rather greater activity than I can
currently claim, though yesterday's ceilidh with the Peeping Tom
Big Band was certainly a special event.

Chris

anahata

Mar 29, 2010, 8:08:56 AM3/29/10
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:09:54 +0100, Jacey Bedford wrote:

> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
> to say hello, with or withut details.
>
> Me, for one....

I'm still here.
This could get to be a long thread if everyone replies...

--
Anahata
ana...@treewind.co.uk ==//== 01638 720444

Geoff Berrow

Mar 29, 2010, 8:11:13 AM3/29/10
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:08:56 -0500, anahata <ana...@treewind.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:09:54 +0100, Jacey Bedford wrote:
>
>> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>> to say hello, with or withut details.
>>
>> Me, for one....
>
>I'm still here.
>This could get to be a long thread if everyone replies...

<waves>
--
Geoff Berrow (Put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

Java Jive

Mar 29, 2010, 8:19:27 AM3/29/10
Still in the land of the living, just about ...

<look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
> to say hello, with or withut details.

Ron

Mar 29, 2010, 8:39:35 AM3/29/10
On 29/03/2010 13:19, Java Jive wrote:
> Still in the land of the living, just about ...
>
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:09:54 +0100, Jacey Bedford
> <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>> to say hello, with or withut details.

I`m here somewhere... probly at the back, dressed in black

Ron

Chris J Dixon

Mar 29, 2010, 8:48:03 AM3/29/10
Chris J Dixon wrote:

>my sig implies rather greater activity than I can
>currently claim

Or would have if somehow a setting hadn't changed itself :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
ch...@cdixon.me.uk

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Peter Thomas

Mar 29, 2010, 8:45:44 AM3/29/10
In message <aQmatFRC...@parkhead.demon.co.uk>, Jacey Bedford
<look...@nospam.invalid> writes

>OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>to say hello, with or withut details.

Hello again.

In Surrey, the bit near Sussex and Hampshire.

Sing - nominal bass - in one of than many Tabbushes many community
choirs, which has a strong folky bias.

Get to the odd pub sessions or folk-clubs or other gigs with a bit of
luck. Can get a few tunes out of guitar or melodeon on a good day. The
harmonica only really gets played in pub sessions.

And of course dance; English Ceilidh and Morris.

--
Peter Thomas

William Black

Mar 29, 2010, 9:59:48 AM3/29/10
Jacey Bedford wrote:
> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
> to say hello, with or withut details.
>
> Me, for one....
>
> Jacey Bedford, West Yorkshire

Bill Black, Scarborough, North Yorkshire

Not playing for money any more but still singing a bit.

Oh, not quite true, I made a few quid by putting the hat out on a
beach in Goa last year...

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.

Karen Rodgers

Mar 29, 2010, 10:40:16 AM3/29/10
<look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>to say hello, with or withut details.
>
>Me, for one....

I'm in La Mesa California, USA. I'm an American, I lurk because I've
got folk singing friends in the UK. That, and my husband has family
there. Don't see any real point in commenting most of the time. Your
folk music headaches are different than ours.

You all were also very helpful before my last trip the UK and was
asking about finding some live music in areas I'd be traveling in. I
hope one day to have the occasion to call on your collective knowledge
again one day.

Karen R.

"Any plan vhere hyu lose hyu hat iz a BAD PLAN." - Jägerkin Philosophy

Dave Royal

Mar 29, 2010, 11:14:02 AM3/29/10
Lover of all sorts of music, but particularly squeezy things.

Off to see Phil Cunningham tomorrow :-)

Dave
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)

Arthur Marshall

Mar 29, 2010, 11:49:05 AM3/29/10
Guitars, fiddles and melodeons, write a few songs here and there, call
the odd ceilidh. Started playing in York around 1969, never stopped.
Now playing a few solo gigs here and there and with a pub Irish band
from Stoke called Kiss the Blarney. Mostly lurking on here, ocasionally
join in.

--
Arthur Marshall
nb Lord Byrons Maggot

Jim Ellison

Mar 29, 2010, 12:08:11 PM3/29/10
Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

Hello each (waves)

Jim Ellison, West Yorks.

I've been involved in folk music for over 40 years but I don't perform
anymore.

I help produce our local Folk Mag, Tykes' News, and my local club is
BACCApipes FC. Sometimes attend the Topic in Bradford, Skipton Folk
Unplugged and Otley FC, all thriving clubs. I'm off to Skipton tonight
to see a u.m.f poster, Jim Lawton, should be good.

I post here /very/ occasionally but mainly lurk. I haven't kill-filed
Walkabout yet, although I tend to dismiss his posts out of hand.
Recently, however, I've I've been reading the follow-ups just to keep
abreast of things.

My other usenet interest, uk.comp.sys.mac, sees a few posters from this
group.... hmmm, innarestin.

--
<http://www.baccapipes.org.uk>
<http://www.tykesnews.org.uk>

Phil Taylor

Mar 29, 2010, 12:10:13 PM3/29/10

Singer, Guitar player (and a few other things). Used to be president
of Edinburgh University Folk Song Society way back in er about 1967.

Still singing from time to time.

Author of BarFly (abc app for Macs).

Phil Taylor

Nigel Stapley

Mar 29, 2010, 12:40:58 PM3/29/10
Jacey Bedford wrote:
> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
> to say hello, with or withut details.

Nigel Stapley

Wrexham

Used to attend Wrexham club, haven't for a few years due to being too
knackered to put myself at the mercy of crap public transport late at
night in a chavvy town, and feel guilty about it.

Sang (1) and told jokes at Singers' Nights there for about ten years.

All-time favourites: Steve Tilston, and Mike Harding's 70s stuff.

(1) This is a matter of opinion.

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>

James Prescott

Mar 29, 2010, 1:25:41 PM3/29/10
lurker

James Prescott, Calgary, Canada

chris

Mar 29, 2010, 1:32:10 PM3/29/10
Jacey Bedford wrote:

> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
> to say hello, with or withut details.
>
> Me, for one....
>
> Jacey Bedford, West Yorkshire

Hi All,

I guess I could be considered an active lurker, because I post
occasionally....so to break the habit.

Here goes for my introduction.....

I get most of my musical enjoyment from playing a variety of instruments
in the peakfolk ceilidh band and also the peakfiddler folkrock band.
Recently, began singing, after receiving a lot of encouragement from Arthur.
Teach fiddle playing to some youngsters.
I have a lot of fun composing and performing my own material.

Chris

--
www.peakfolk.co.uk
www.peakfiddler.co.uk

Richard Robinson

Mar 29, 2010, 1:59:59 PM3/29/10
anahata said:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:09:54 +0100, Jacey Bedford wrote:
>
>> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>> to say hello, with or withut details.

Hello.

>> Me, for one....
>
> I'm still here.
> This could get to be a long thread if everyone replies...

Well, and why not ? There's room.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://www.qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Bernard Peek

Mar 29, 2010, 2:07:07 PM3/29/10
On 29/03/10 12:09, Jacey Bedford wrote:
> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
> to say hello, with or withut details.

Bernard Peek, currently out of circulation because the money fairy is
still missing. Currently living in East London (Stratford.)

Not a performer but previously a regular at the Herga club in Harrow and
at various festivals. Also one of Johnny Collins' Cheffettes.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

S Viemeister

Mar 29, 2010, 2:39:24 PM3/29/10
On 3/29/2010 7:09 AM, Jacey Bedford wrote:
> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
> to say hello, with or withut details.

Hello!
I'm a longtime lurker, and very occasional poster. Back in the 60s, I
was for a time, one of the organisers of the Tuesday night folk club in
Edinburgh. We met in the old Canongate Tolbooth, before it was turned
into a Museum.

Sheila

Grunt

Mar 29, 2010, 2:42:49 PM3/29/10
Lurker - habitual!

Used to perform floor sessions in the 70's around the local folk haunts. Now
in my fifties I'm kicking off a heavy RAWK band! LOL ... what a reversal.
:-)

Adrian

Jason Hill

Mar 29, 2010, 2:52:22 PM3/29/10
Jason Hill

I first became involved in folk clubs in Portsmouth in the early 1960s.

I have been involved in running the Potteries Folk Club from the early
1970s till today.

I play guitar, bass guitar, banjitar, ukulele, autoharp and melodeon.

I'm a member of ceilidh band 'Alf Alfa & the Wild Oats' (often shortened
to 'Alf-Alfa').

I occasionally call for other bands.
--
Jason Hill

Nigel Stapley

Mar 29, 2010, 3:46:50 PM3/29/10

So that's three regulars from alt.fan.pratchett in here, then. Looks
like Pterry's occasional withering comments on folk music and dance
haven't had much effect.

Gill Smith

Mar 29, 2010, 3:57:31 PM3/29/10
"Jacey Bedford" <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy to
> say hello, with or withut details.
>
> Me, for one....
>
> Jacey Bedford, West Yorkshire
>
> Artisan: http://www.artisan-harmony.com

hmmmm

sales holding up?

maybe the dept. could do with a bit of a shake-up....

http://www.artisan-harmony.com/albums.htm

lots of broken links

and at the bottom

"Please note that we do longer take credit or debit cards other than via
paypal."

the one audio clip that does work sounds really good

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Molly Mockford

Mar 29, 2010, 4:03:21 PM3/29/10
At 13:11:13 on Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Geoff Berrow <blth...@ckdog.co.uk>
wrote in <r661r51pcfm9q7pgp...@4ax.com>:

>On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:08:56 -0500, anahata <ana...@treewind.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:09:54 +0100, Jacey Bedford wrote:
>>
>>> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>>> to say hello, with or withut details.
>>>
>>> Me, for one....
>>
>>I'm still here.
>>This could get to be a long thread if everyone replies...
>
><waves>

+1
--
Molly Mockford
Nature loves variety. Unfortunately, society hates it. (Milton Diamond Ph.D.)

Jacey Bedford

Mar 29, 2010, 4:10:21 PM3/29/10
In message <pvednQQA6OCgmyzW...@brightview.co.uk>, Gill
Smith <gill.sm...@googlemail.com> writes

I'll check the broken links, thanks. I had to change the site quickly
when Barclaycard doubled the rates for using their handy-dandy little
card machines and we decided to switch to paypal since - after retiring
five years ago - album sales from the website are welcome, but not vast.

There are also audioclips on CDbaby for three of our albums.

And with the five-year reunion tour in July 2010 we hope to have a new
CD out. We're working on it now.

Jacey

--
Jacey Bedford

JF

Mar 29, 2010, 4:24:04 PM3/29/10
Nigel Stapley wrote:

> So that's three regulars from alt.fan.pratchett in here, then. Looks
> like Pterry's occasional withering comments on folk music and dance
> haven't had much effect.

His story about the Dark Morris shows that he's just teasing and
the point about a long chord having to be played before folk
music is perpetrated is, surely, no more than the truth.

And shouldn't that be 'Sir Pterry'?

JF

Jack Campin - bogus address

Mar 29, 2010, 4:49:15 PM3/29/10
S Viemeister <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
> I'm a longtime lurker, and very occasional poster. Back in the 60s, I
> was for a time, one of the organisers of the Tuesday night folk club in
> Edinburgh. We met in the old Canongate Tolbooth, before it was turned
> into a Museum.

What was it used for back then?

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

James Hogg

Mar 29, 2010, 4:59:31 PM3/29/10
Molly Mockford wrote:
> At 13:11:13 on Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Geoff Berrow <blth...@ckdog.co.uk>
> wrote in <r661r51pcfm9q7pgp...@4ax.com>:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:08:56 -0500, anahata <ana...@treewind.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> I'm still here.
>>> This could get to be a long thread if everyone replies...
>>
>> <waves>
>
> +1

+ 1 (mostly lurking)

Don't forget to subtract Wankabout.

--
James

Geoff Berrow

Mar 29, 2010, 5:03:26 PM3/29/10
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:52:22 +0100, Jason Hill
<Ja...@burslem.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I occasionally call for other bands.

...including my bluegrass band, The Slippery Hill Boys :)

--
Geoff Berrow (Put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs www.4theweb.co.uk/rfdmaker

S Viemeister

Mar 29, 2010, 5:30:14 PM3/29/10
On 3/29/2010 4:49 PM, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
> S Viemeister<firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
>> I'm a longtime lurker, and very occasional poster. Back in the 60s, I
>> was for a time, one of the organisers of the Tuesday night folk club in
>> Edinburgh. We met in the old Canongate Tolbooth, before it was turned
>> into a Museum.
>
> What was it used for back then?

A number of organisations seemed to use it for meetings, and the
downstairs hall was regularly used by groups like ours, as it was fairly
inexpensive. It wasn't such a touristy area back then - it was a real
'neighbourhood', with lots of shops catering to the local residents,
many of whom were on fairly low incomes.

Bernard Peek

Mar 29, 2010, 5:58:51 PM3/29/10
On 29/03/10 20:46, Nigel Stapley wrote:
> Bernard Peek wrote:
>> On 29/03/10 12:09, Jacey Bedford wrote:
>>> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>>> to say hello, with or withut details.
>>>

>> Bernard Peek, currently out of circulation because the money fairy is
>> still missing. Currently living in East London (Stratford.)
>>
>> Not a performer but previously a regular at the Herga club in Harrow
>> and at various festivals. Also one of Johnny Collins' Cheffettes.
>>

> So that's three regulars from alt.fan.pratchett in here, then. Looks
> like Pterry's occasional withering comments on folk music and dance
> haven't had much effect.

The uk.rec.sheds group is also well represented.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

Ffred Clegg

Mar 29, 2010, 6:01:30 PM3/29/10

"Gill Smith" <gill.sm...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

>> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>> to say hello, with or withut details.

Regular visitor, definite lurker, very occasional poster, consumer rather
than performer

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

--
O Benryn wleth hyd Luch Reon
Cymru yn unfryd gerhyd Wrion

Paul Magnussen

Mar 29, 2010, 6:11:26 PM3/29/10
Regular reader, occasional poster, whether of questions or answers.

Originally from the Home Counties, I now live in California, so ukmf is
one of the few ways I still have to keep in contact.

Paul Magnussen

Rafe Culpin

Mar 29, 2010, 7:14:00 PM3/29/10
Rafe Culpin, listener rather than performer at various clubs since the days of
Peanuts Club near Liverpool Street Station.

Now usually Walthamstow club. But more into filk these days.

In article <4bb1229b$0$2477$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>, b...@shrdlu.com (Bernard Peek)
wrote:

> The uk.rec.sheds group is also well represented.

I've seen someone from rec.music.filk, someone from the village of abthite, and
someone from Cliffe Bonfire so far in this thread. Oh, and Hi Bernie!

--
To reply email rafe, at the address cix co uk

Geoff Berrow

Mar 29, 2010, 6:28:48 PM3/29/10
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:58:51 +0100, Bernard Peek <b...@shrdlu.com>
wrote:

>> So that's three regulars from alt.fan.pratchett in here, then. Looks
>> like Pterry's occasional withering comments on folk music and dance
>> haven't had much effect.
>
>The uk.rec.sheds group is also well represented.

Steady on... that implies a certain pbzcyrgrarff

Andrew Robert Breen

Mar 29, 2010, 6:59:24 PM3/29/10
In article <aQmatFRC...@parkhead.demon.co.uk>,

Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>to say hello, with or withut details.
>
>Me, for one....

[waves]

--
Andy Breen, not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales
"The internet, that wonderful tool for bringing us into contact

Richard Robinson

Mar 29, 2010, 7:57:26 PM3/29/10
Andrew Robert Breen said:
> In article <aQmatFRC...@parkhead.demon.co.uk>,
> Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>>to say hello, with or withut details.
>>
>>Me, for one....
>
> [waves]
>
> "The internet, that wonderful tool for bringing us into contact with things
> that make us wish we could scrub our brains out with dental floss.."
> (Charlie Stross)

Mental floss.

In one ear, out the other.

Jacey Bedford

Mar 29, 2010, 8:08:27 PM3/29/10
>"Jacey Bedford" <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy to
>> say hello, with or withut details.
>>
>> Me, for one....
>>
>> Jacey Bedford, West Yorkshire
>>
>> Artisan: http://www.artisan-harmony.com

Thanks, Gill, links and typo fixed and plenty of tracks to listen to.
I'm sure there will be lots of fresh typos up there, so feel free to
pick.

Jacey
--
Jacey Bedford

Jacey Bedford

Mar 29, 2010, 8:12:32 PM3/29/10
In message <k_2dnaWCE5f0kSzW...@brightview.co.uk>, JF
<jul...@oopsoopsfloodsclimbers.co.uk> writes

I think it's pretty obvious that Sir Pterry both knows a lot about folk
and folklore and respects it in his own quirky way. Didn't he used to
judge the dwile flonking or some such competition at Chippenham Festival
in his fitter days? Or did they have a proper stick and bucket dance
competition?

Jacey

--
Jacey Bedford

Jacey Bedford

Mar 29, 2010, 8:13:49 PM3/29/10
In message <4bb1229b$0$2477$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>, Bernard Peek
<b...@shrdlu.com> writes

And there are at least three of us from rec.arts.sf.composition
<waves>

Jacey
--
Jacey Bedford

Jack Campin - bogus address

Mar 29, 2010, 8:18:49 PM3/29/10
Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
> My email address is at http://www.qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Do you know the "Tunebook Live!" link on your homepage is buggered?

Richard Robinson

Mar 29, 2010, 9:52:50 PM3/29/10
Jack Campin - bogus address said:
> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>> My email address is at http://www.qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html
>
> Do you know the "Tunebook Live!" link on your homepage is buggered?

Oh, bleargh. No, I didn't. Thank you, fixed.

The site itself is occasionally buggered, too, processes run amok and it
doesn't respond until it gets restarted, I don't know why and it's all going
to change anyway, "sometime soon".

I recently discovered that the old Leeds site has returned to half-life, as
some sort of zombie. It all seem to be there until you actually get to the
link that ought to take you to a tune, which 404s instead. I've no idea what
they think they're playing at, it's not like they've talked to me at all. A
google suggests that links to it are proliferating rather than dying out.

Jeff Welty's 'redhawk' mirror of it used to be good, but I can't find that
these days, either.

"Bleargh".

But, hey, the next version of it's going to be really good, when I just get
it finished ... It _can't_ be long now, right ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://www.qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

anahata

Mar 30, 2010, 3:26:18 AM3/30/10
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:58:51 +0100, Bernard Peek wrote:
> The uk.rec.sheds group is also well represented.

And I didn't even know you were here until you posted a few messages
back...

--
Anahata
ana...@treewind.co.uk ==//== 01638 720444
http://www.treewind.co.uk ==//== http://www.myspace.com/maryanahata

gordon jones

Mar 30, 2010, 3:19:06 AM3/30/10
Ey up! Wandering about folk music in general from Wirral to Edinburgh a
bit in Manchester and now Furness

Gordon
--
Gordon Jones
gor...@hartown.demon.co.uk

JohnB

Mar 30, 2010, 5:18:38 AM3/30/10
I'm still hereabouts too.

John Booth, singer/songwriter, I perform with my wife, Ailsa, but
we've been less busy this last year or two. Intend to do something
about that...
On the committee that runs Northwich Folk Club
(www.northwichfolk.co.uk), been involved with NFC for 15 years now.
First got the folk bug in 1972 when I was taken along to the Welcome
Inn session in Rusholme, Manchester, but it's never been *just* folk.

Haven't updated the website in some time but it's www.johnandailsa.co.uk.

William Black

Mar 30, 2010, 7:16:12 AM3/30/10
Jacey Bedford wrote:
> In message <k_2dnaWCE5f0kSzW...@brightview.co.uk>, JF
> <jul...@oopsoopsfloodsclimbers.co.uk> writes
>> Nigel Stapley wrote:
>>
>>> So that's three regulars from alt.fan.pratchett in here, then. Looks
>>> like Pterry's occasional withering comments on folk music and dance
>>> haven't had much effect.
>>

>> His story about the Dark Morris shows that he's just teasing and the
>> point about a long chord having to be played before folk music is
>> perpetrated is, surely, no more than the truth.
>>
>> And shouldn't that be 'Sir Pterry'?
>
> I think it's pretty obvious that Sir Pterry both knows a lot about folk
> and folklore and respects it in his own quirky way.

He just doesn't take the external trappings terribly seriously,
especially the 'Victorian' stuff.

But neither does anyone else, except the odd 'serious' type.

You know, wispy beard, Arran sweater, pewter tankard, goes on about
how the concertina is only about 150 years old and how everyone should
be playing the fiddle, only drinks beer with bits in.

We've all met 'em...

Mind you, they're not as bad as the ones in the 'granddad shirts',
moleskin trousers and a red neckerchief...

<Sits back, pulls on body armour, awaits explosions...>

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.

Gill Smith

Mar 30, 2010, 7:57:09 AM3/30/10
"Jacey Bedford" <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Great stuff

Ol' Brian sure knows how to write a song

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Gill Smith

Mar 30, 2010, 8:05:24 AM3/30/10
> Ol' Brian sure knows how to write a song

and all of you know how to sing it

I'm a wannabe songwriter

I tend to forget about performing, as I don't do any

yet....

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Peter Thomas

Mar 30, 2010, 7:58:10 AM3/30/10
In message <hosmht$pf5$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, William Black
<willia...@hotmail.co.uk> writes

>Jacey Bedford wrote:
>> In message <k_2dnaWCE5f0kSzW...@brightview.co.uk>, JF
>><jul...@oopsoopsfloodsclimbers.co.uk> writes

>>> His story about the Dark Morris shows that he's just teasing and the
>>>point about a long chord having to be played before folk music is
>>>perpetrated is, surely, no more than the truth.
>>>
>>> And shouldn't that be 'Sir Pterry'?
>> I think it's pretty obvious that Sir Pterry both knows a lot about
>>folk and folklore and respects it in his own quirky way.
>
>He just doesn't take the external trappings terribly seriously,
>especially the 'Victorian' stuff.
>
>But neither does anyone else, except the odd 'serious' type.
>
>You know, wispy beard, Arran sweater, pewter tankard, goes on about
>how the concertina is only about 150 years old and how everyone should
>be playing the fiddle, only drinks beer with bits in.

As for Victorian stuff - the Ale-tasting up the road requires dress to
be Victorian or rustic. The Victorian-dressed move gracefully and
slowly. I assume that, like the rustics, they swelter when indoors.

Wispy beards are best shaven. Proper beards are not wispy. Not seen an
Arran sweater for some years. Yes, the squeeze-boxen couldn't come into
their own until after being invented.

Beer with bits in is all very well, but can you still get proper
scumble, rats and all?

>We've all met 'em...
>
>Mind you, they're not as bad as the ones in the 'granddad shirts',
>moleskin trousers and a red neckerchief...

I'm not telling Phil you said that. or the other Phil.

--
Peter Thomas

Gill Smith

Mar 30, 2010, 8:24:16 AM3/30/10
"William Black" <willia...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> Jacey Bedford wrote:
>> In message <k_2dnaWCE5f0kSzW...@brightview.co.uk>, JF
>> <jul...@oopsoopsfloodsclimbers.co.uk> writes

>>> His story about the Dark Morris shows that he's just teasing and the
>>> point about a long chord having to be played before folk music is
>>> perpetrated is, surely, no more than the truth.
>>>
>>> And shouldn't that be 'Sir Pterry'?
>>
>> I think it's pretty obvious that Sir Pterry both knows a lot about folk
>> and folklore and respects it in his own quirky way.
>
> He just doesn't take the external trappings terribly seriously, especially
> the 'Victorian' stuff.
>
> But neither does anyone else, except the odd 'serious' type.
>
> You know, wispy beard, Arran sweater, pewter tankard, goes on about
> how the concertina is only about 150 years old and how everyone should be
> playing the fiddle, only drinks beer with bits in.
>
> We've all met 'em...
>
> Mind you, they're not as bad as the ones in the 'granddad shirts',
> moleskin trousers and a red neckerchief...

makes you wonder what Victorian folkies wore

three-cornered hats, knee-breeches....

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

William Black

Mar 30, 2010, 8:30:42 AM3/30/10

So, you haven't watched the 'Neo-Victorians' at the Goth festival in
Whitby go dancing?

It isn't terribly graceful...

Dancing to 'Death Metal' isn't...

William Black

Mar 30, 2010, 8:35:07 AM3/30/10

Erm...

If there were any... :-)

'John Barleycorn' may well be an academic joke up there with Ossian and
from about the same period.

Peter J. Seymour

Mar 30, 2010, 8:53:00 AM3/30/10
On 2010-03-29 12:09, Jacey Bedford wrote:
> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
> to say hello, with or withut details.

I got into folk music c.1970. In those days the big performers I saw
were people like The Dransfields, Cyril Tawney, Martin Carthy etc.
Aside: About that time, I went to a concert where Steeleye Span featured
two female vocalists (if my memory serves me correctly) which has
puzzled me subsequently.
Later I played guitar/cittern in a ceilidh band for a few years. We
modelled ourselves slightly on the Chieftains (but our playing wasn't as
accomplished!).
Nowadays folk music wise, I just sort of tinker around.
Regards
Peter

Jacey Bedford

Mar 30, 2010, 9:25:33 AM3/30/10
In message <HpydnevwVP20eizW...@brightview.co.uk>, Gill
Smith <gill.sm...@googlemail.com> writes
>"Jacey Bedford" <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> In message <pvednQQA6OCgmyzW...@brightview.co.uk>, Gill Smith
>> <gill.sm...@googlemail.com> writes
>>>"Jacey Bedford" <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>>http://www.artisan-harmony.com/albums.htm
>>>
>>>lots of broken links
>>
>> Thanks, Gill, links and typo fixed and plenty of tracks to listen to. I'm
>> sure there will be lots of fresh typos up there, so feel free to pick.
>
>Great stuff
>
>Ol' Brian sure knows how to write a song

Yes, he does. I'm still in awe and I'm married to him! It takes me
100,000 words of novel to write what Brian can put into a four verse
song.
:-)

Jacey

--
Jacey Bedford

Bernard Peek

Mar 30, 2010, 9:54:22 AM3/30/10

I still regret not being able to persuade TPTB that Artisan should have
done the entertainment spot during the 1995 Hugo awards.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

KGB

Mar 30, 2010, 1:03:15 PM3/30/10
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:20:52 +0100, "Peter Corser"
<peter....@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Hi Jacey
>
>I'm still here - mainly a lurker, but occasionally have something I think
>might be worthwhile to post.
>
>Long time (50 years or so) Folk Song, Music & Dance enthusiast . I have
>never been able to sing in any way which could be described as listenable,
>am, at best, a poor musician and am now too crocked to dance! I can still
>listen!

Hi

That just about sums me up as well - except that I have never been
able to dance. I can also play instruments (stringed) but am
definitely poor (financially).

Regards
KGB

gal...@leavethisoutblueyonder.co.uk

Mar 30, 2010, 2:39:30 PM3/30/10
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:53:00 +0100, "Peter J. Seymour"
<Newsg...@pjsey.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 2010-03-29 12:09, Jacey Bedford wrote:
>> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>> to say hello, with or withut details.
>>
>I got into folk music c.1970. In those days the big performers I saw
>were people like The Dransfields, Cyril Tawney, Martin Carthy etc.
>Aside: About that time, I went to a concert where Steeleye Span featured
>two female vocalists (if my memory serves me correctly) which has
>puzzled me subsequently.

This sounds like the original version of Steeleye Span when Ashley
Hutchins started the band in 1969/1970 with two folk duos, Maddy
Prior/Tim Hart plus Gay & Terry Woods.

>Later I played guitar/cittern in a ceilidh band for a few years. We
>modelled ourselves slightly on the Chieftains (but our playing wasn't as
>accomplished!).
>Nowadays folk music wise, I just sort of tinker around.
>Regards
>Peter

Geoff
(from Dundee, briefly "unlurking" and who amused himself on the guitar
in the early 1970s learning how to play songs of Al Stewart and
others)

Tony F

Mar 30, 2010, 4:56:25 PM3/30/10

Yo!

TF

Sorry - were you expecting more?

Destrier

Mar 31, 2010, 7:50:30 AM3/31/10
On 29 Mar, 12:09, Jacey Bedford <lookin...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
> to say hello, with or withut details.

Nick Wagg, Sheffield, formerly of Macclesfield, Cambridge, Eindhoven
and Stoke-on-Trent.

Member of Sheffield Folk Chorale, occasional attendee of various
local folk clubs, raised on folk music by parents who were around
during the 60s revival.

Dave Holland

Mar 31, 2010, 7:10:17 AM3/31/10
anahata <ana...@treewind.co.uk> wrote:
>This could get to be a long thread if everyone replies...

I delurk, therefore I am?

Cheers,
Dave

Ron

Mar 31, 2010, 8:13:10 AM3/31/10
On 30/03/2010 12:58, Peter Thomas wrote:
Yes, the squeeze-boxen couldn't come into
> their own until after being invented.

Like the time machine then

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Mar 31, 2010, 9:44:30 AM3/31/10
look...@nospam.invalid (Jacey Bedford) wrote:

> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be
> shy to say hello, with or withut details.

Me.

wg
www.pelicancrossing.net

Jacey Bedford

Mar 31, 2010, 7:43:32 PM3/31/10
In message <4bb2028e$0$2482$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>, Bernard Peek

That would have been neat - though do I recall it was August, wasn't it?
If so it would have been a moot point because we were in Canada and the
States doing part of the farewell tour. (I missed the Milford Writers
workshop that year as well because it was moved to coincide with Glasgow
Worldcon.)

Of course any time they want us to come out of retirement...
:-)
Except for this year when we're in Canada again on the reunion tour.

Jacey
--
Jacey Bedford

Bernard Peek

Apr 1, 2010, 6:03:55 AM4/1/10
On 01/04/10 00:43, Jacey Bedford wrote:

>> I still regret not being able to persuade TPTB that Artisan should
>> have done the entertainment spot during the 1995 Hugo awards.
>
> That would have been neat - though do I recall it was August, wasn't it?
> If so it would have been a moot point because we were in Canada and the
> States doing part of the farewell tour. (I missed the Milford Writers
> workshop that year as well because it was moved to coincide with Glasgow
> Worldcon.)
>
> Of course any time they want us to come out of retirement...
> :-)
> Except for this year when we're in Canada again on the reunion tour.

Put a note in your diary for August 2014. The official launch of the bid
will be this Saturday.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

Jacey Bedford

Apr 1, 2010, 9:24:00 AM4/1/10
In message <4bb46f8c$0$2525$da0f...@news.zen.co.uk>, Bernard Peek
<b...@shrdlu.com> writes

Oooh. OK. Glasgow again?

Rafe Culpin

Apr 1, 2010, 10:36:00 AM4/1/10
In article <m6r136$w5Jt...@parkhead.demon.co.uk>, look...@nospam.invalid (Jacey
Bedford) wrote:

> >Put a note in your diary for August 2014. The official launch of the
> >bid will be this Saturday.
>
> Oooh. OK. Glasgow again?

The site choice will be announced then as well. Glasgow is one of the candidate
sites.

--
To reply email rafe, at the address cix co uk

Bernard Peek

Apr 1, 2010, 10:39:55 AM4/1/10

Don't know. The decision has been made but won't be made public until
Saturday. It is on the candidate list. Given that few bids are contested
these days the bid is quite likely to succeed.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

Jack Campin - bogus address

Apr 1, 2010, 8:45:55 PM4/1/10
>>> Put a note in your diary for August 2014. The official launch of the
>>> bid will be this Saturday.
>> Oooh. OK. Glasgow again?
> The site choice will be announced then as well. Glasgow is one of the
> candidate sites.

I recommend a look at TripAdvisor's reviews of the Central Hotel (the venue
for the last Glasgow SF con), based on stays not long before it was shut
down.

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

a l l y

Apr 2, 2010, 1:59:55 PM4/2/10

"Jacey Bedford" <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy to
> say hello, with or withut details.
>
> Me, for one....
>
> Jacey Bedford, West Yorkshire

I'm still here, but don't say much unless something grabs my attention.
Still playing for Belfagan -
www.belfagan.org.uk
www.flickr.com/photos/belfagan
- and with Piping Hot, who are no longer *just* Piping Hot Recorders, but
produce music as well on accordion, guitar, flute and voice (er... the
singer/guitarist would be me).

ally

Good idea for a nice long thread, Jacey!

a l l y

Apr 2, 2010, 4:27:37 PM4/2/10
"Nigel Stapley" <un...@judgemental.plus.com> wrote in message

> So that's three regulars from alt.fan.pratchett in here, then.

And at least three from uk.local.cumbria as well. And a few from ed.general
as well, I think?

ally

Jack Campin - bogus address

Apr 2, 2010, 4:52:42 PM4/2/10
"a l l y" <al...@situponDOGGIEseats.co.uk> wrote:
>> So that's three regulars from alt.fan.pratchett in here, then.
> And at least three from uk.local.cumbria as well.
> And a few from ed.general as well, I think?

Me from ed.general. Other ed.general people are into different
kinds of music (Simon Holt avant-garde electronica, Mike Dickson
electronic retro-pop, Hans Sluiman community orchestras).

Bob Walton

Apr 3, 2010, 5:55:00 AM4/3/10
In article <aQmatFRC...@parkhead.demon.co.uk>, look...@nospam.invalid (Jacey
Bedford) wrote:

> *From:* Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid>
> *Date:* Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:09:54 +0100

> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be
> shy to say hello, with or withut details.
>
> Me, for one....
>
> Jacey Bedford, West Yorkshire
>

> Artisan: http://www.artisan-harmony.com
>
> Jacey Bedford Tour Management:
> http://www.jacey-bedford.com
>
> Birdsedge Village Festival:
> http://www.birdsedgevillagefestival.org
>
> Birdsedge Live:
> http://www,birdsedge.co.uk/live.htm
>
> Park Head Studio: http://www.parkheadstudio.co.uk
>

> --
> Jacey Bedford

Me too.

Bob Walton
(eMail to my first name is more likely to reach me)

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Apr 3, 2010, 2:19:32 PM4/3/10
In message <81mpkr...@mid.individual.net>, a l l y
<al...@situponDOGGIEseats.co.uk> writes

>"Jacey Bedford" <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy to
>> say hello, with or withut details.
>>
>> Me, for one....
>>
>> Jacey Bedford, West Yorkshire
>>

>I'm still here, but don't say much unless something grabs my attention.
>Still playing for Belfagan -
>www.belfagan.org.uk

Open Morris appears to be open-morris.org, not open-morris.com; you
might like to revise your links page

>www.flickr.com/photos/belfagan
>- and with Piping Hot, who are no longer *just* Piping Hot Recorders, but
>produce music as well on accordion, guitar, flute and voice (er... the
>singer/guitarist would be me).
>
>ally
>
>Good idea for a nice long thread, Jacey!

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

bap

Apr 3, 2010, 2:49:25 PM4/3/10
On Apr 1, 2:24 pm, Jacey Bedford <lookin...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In message <4bb46f8c$0$2525$da0fe...@news.zen.co.uk>, Bernard Peek
The news is that the venue will be Exel in London Docklands. Informed
opinion is that unless the bid does something stupid they probably
won't be opposed.

--
b...@shrdlu.com

bap

Apr 3, 2010, 2:53:08 PM4/3/10
On Apr 2, 1:45 am, Jack Campin - bogus address

<bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Oooh. OK. Glasgow again?
> > The site choice will be announced then as well. Glasgow is one of the
> > candidate sites.
>
> I recommend a look at TripAdvisor's reviews of the Central Hotel (the venue
> for the last Glasgow SF con), based on stays not long before it was shut
> down.

We have a long history with the Central. Tales are still told about
the staff versus guests custard-pie fight, with real custard courtesy
of the head chef.

--
b...@shrdlu.com

a l l y

Apr 3, 2010, 3:50:33 PM4/3/10
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" <{$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In message <81mpkr...@mid.individual.net>, a l l y
> <al...@situponDOGGIEseats.co.uk> writes
>>>

>>I'm still here, but don't say much unless something grabs my attention.
>>Still playing for Belfagan -
>>www.belfagan.org.uk
>
> Open Morris appears to be open-morris.org, not open-morris.com; you might
> like to revise your links page

Oh, thanks Stewart. I'm quite sure that's not the only thing seriously out
of date. I manage to get the latest diary dates up, (haven't got this year's
yet) but checking links is never a lot of fun.

ally

Richard Robinson

Apr 3, 2010, 4:37:02 PM4/3/10

Laughter, applause.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://www.qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Molly Mockford

Apr 3, 2010, 6:26:08 PM4/3/10
At 20:50:33 on Sat, 3 Apr 2010, a l l y <al...@situponDOGGIEseats.co.uk>
wrote in <81pkg9...@mid.individual.net>:

>Oh, thanks Stewart. I'm quite sure that's not the only thing seriously out
>of date. I manage to get the latest diary dates up, (haven't got this year's
>yet) but checking links is never a lot of fun.

What you need is Xenu Link Sleuth. Totally free, and one of the tools
which I (as a professional) consider to be of max value.

"Dear Sirs, ten years ago I used your Pears Soap ... since when I have
used no other."
--
Molly Mockford
Nature loves variety. Unfortunately, society hates it. (Milton Diamond Ph.D.)
(My Reply-To address *is* valid, though may not remain so for ever.)

a l l y

Apr 3, 2010, 7:47:30 PM4/3/10
"Molly Mockford" <nospam...@mollymockford.me.uk> wrote in message

> At 20:50:33 on Sat, 3 Apr 2010, a l l y <al...@situponDOGGIEseats.co.uk>
> wrote in <81pkg9...@mid.individual.net>:
>
>>Oh, thanks Stewart. I'm quite sure that's not the only thing seriously out
>>of date. I manage to get the latest diary dates up, (haven't got this
>>year's
>>yet) but checking links is never a lot of fun.
>
> What you need is Xenu Link Sleuth. Totally free, and one of the tools
> which I (as a professional) consider to be of max value.

Ooh, thanks. This looks good.

ally

chris

Apr 4, 2010, 4:13:16 AM4/4/10
to Molly Mockford
Molly Mockford wrote:

> What you need is Xenu Link Sleuth. Totally free, and one of the tools
> which I (as a professional) consider to be of max value.

thanks for that, downloaded and used it this morning. Within seconds I
had found a few broken links on one of my websites.

very handy ....

Chris

Bernard Peek

Apr 5, 2010, 11:21:32 AM4/5/10

Further news is that I went on a hard-hat tour of the new facilities in
Excel. It looks a very good site.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

Rafe Culpin

Apr 5, 2010, 1:16:00 PM4/5/10
In article <4bb9fffc$0$2483$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>, b...@shrdlu.com (Bernard Peek)
wrote:

> > The news is that the venue will be Exel in London Docklands.
> Informed
> > opinion is that unless the bid does something stupid they probably
> > won't be opposed.
>
> Further news is that I went on a hard-hat tour of the new facilities
> in Excel. It looks a very good site.

By 2014 there are likely to be a lot of very large facilities a little way north of
there which will be in desperate need of someone finding a use for them.

Peter Hughes.

Apr 7, 2010, 2:09:46 AM4/7/10
On 29/03/2010 12:09, Jacey Bedford wrote:
> OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
> to say hello, with or withut details.
>
> Me, for one....
>
> Jacey Bedford, West Yorkshire
>
> Artisan: http://www.artisan-harmony.com
>
> Jacey Bedford Tour Management:
> http://www.jacey-bedford.com
>
> Birdsedge Village Festival:
> http://www.birdsedgevillagefestival.org
>
> Birdsedge Live:
> http://www,birdsedge.co.uk/live.htm
>
> Park Head Studio: http://www.parkheadstudio.co.uk

Well I'm still here too, bassing with Spit and Polish, and hurdy
gurdying / mandolaing with Hares Breath.

Peter.

David Harris

Apr 7, 2010, 7:08:34 AM4/7/10

Me, mad bad bodhran basher (and friend of Jake)

David

Will Wilkinson

Apr 8, 2010, 8:17:58 PM4/8/10
In message <U-udnStQtZ5ZvCHW...@bt.com>, Peter Hughes.
writes
Bit late I know, but I lurk here :-) Listen to a lot of folk along with
many other genres, am (slowly) trying to teach myself mandolin and have
been known to sing the odd song now and again.

Will
--
Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger
can.

Dominic Cronin

May 23, 2010, 1:57:56 PM5/23/10
Erm - yes - still here - but only just. Moved over onto a new computer
and somehow USENET got shoved to one side by all the 'social' media in
the process. (Is USENET the original Internet social medium?)

Anyway - I just fired up Agent tonight and I'm working the backlog of
several months. Lots on licensing that might have consumed large
amounts of my time if I'd been around to see it.

Even more spam. Ho hum.

Gonna check in more often I think.

<look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>OK - let's be having you, then. Who's still here? Lurkers, don't be shy
>to say hello, with or withut details.
>
>Me, for one....
>
>Jacey Bedford, West Yorkshire
>
>Artisan: http://www.artisan-harmony.com
>
>Jacey Bedford Tour Management:
>http://www.jacey-bedford.com
>
>Birdsedge Village Festival:
>http://www.birdsedgevillagefestival.org
>
>Birdsedge Live:
>http://www,birdsedge.co.uk/live.htm
>
>Park Head Studio: http://www.parkheadstudio.co.uk

--

Dominic Cronin
Amsterdam

Richard Robinson

May 24, 2010, 5:21:18 AM5/24/10
Dominic Cronin said:
> (Is USENET the original Internet social medium?)

Or would that be email ? Which is older, come to that ?

Peter Thomas

May 24, 2010, 9:48:59 AM5/24/10
In message <VK-dnbvG_O6T2GfW...@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> writes

>Dominic Cronin said:
>> (Is USENET the original Internet social medium?)
>
>Or would that be email ? Which is older, come to that ?

That I couldn't tell you, but was amused to be reading a tatty thriller
and find reference to the 'Usenet counter-culture' c 1991.
--
Peter Thomas

Jack Campin - bogus address

May 24, 2010, 10:15:13 AM5/24/10
>> (Is USENET the original Internet social medium?)
> Or would that be email ? Which is older, come to that ?

Email is a few years older - both predate the Internet.

The original electronic communications medium was telex. I spent
a short while working as a cleaner in an international telephone
exchange around 1973, with several telex terminals, and remember
thinking I'd like to have a gadget like that at home.

Andrew Robert Breen

May 24, 2010, 10:27:31 AM5/24/10
In article <QNFXkFFL...@godthoms.demon.co.uk>,

USENET goes back to when the internet was just one of several large
networks - it was about '91-ish when they started joining up seamlessly
so that you could forget about gateways between them [1].

The first USENET messages were in 1980:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/20/usenet_duke_server/

E-mail is much older (for the usual computing values of "much older") -
1971 seems to be the date to go for. Kind of prescient that the
first e-mail was sent between operators sitting at adjacent machines..

http://openmap.bbn.com/~tomlinso/ray/firstemailframe.html

[1] Oh, the joys of remembering the various sacrifices required^W^W
incantantions to send mail from JANET to internet addresses (oh, and
those "!"-separated internet addresses..). I'm surprised it didn't
all lead to an entire bookful of murder ballads (desperate attempt
to return to topic..).

--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting

SH

May 24, 2010, 1:41:43 PM5/24/10
On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:15:13 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

>>> (Is USENET the original Internet social medium?)
>> Or would that be email ? Which is older, come to that ?
>
> Email is a few years older - both predate the Internet.
>
> The original electronic communications medium was telex.

Telegraph, surely, in 18-something, if you count morse-code. I believe
they also tried to experiment with sending images down the telegraph wire
- I presume as an early form of pixilated image using dots.

Oh, BTW - hello; currently lurking around some corners of usenet, but
disappointed to see it declining so.

--
Stewart H.

Never wear a hat which has more character than you - Utah Phillips

To email me remove HAT t...@HATmiserableoldgit.me.uk

Dominic Cronin

May 24, 2010, 2:02:44 PM5/24/10
<bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> (Is USENET the original Internet social medium?)
>> Or would that be email ? Which is older, come to that ?
>
>Email is a few years older - both predate the Internet.

So when do you count as the beginning of the Internet? I was using
internets back in perhaps '90, and as I recall the Internet per se was
really only still a thing for academics and the like. I recall the
excitement of I university professor I met in '89 as he told me that
he'd received an email from another academic in the US. (The
excitement was not about the content of the mail, but the fact that it
had arrived at all.) That was at Cranfield, where they had a fairly
good geek-ratio. Still - I suspect that the email had worked its way
through various networks that probably did not form part of the
Internet.

At more or less the same time, though a friend who was one of the
early ones in the business showed me Netscape for the first time, and
I'm fairly sure that the public Internet as we know it had been
available to the cognoscenti for a while even then.

--

Dominic Cronin
Amsterdam

Ian Jackson

May 24, 2010, 2:40:04 PM5/24/10
In message <htedon$ak$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, SH
<sshh...@invalid.invalid> writes

>>> Or would that be email ? Which is older, come to that ?
>>
>> Email is a few years older - both predate the Internet.
>>
>> The original electronic communications medium was telex.
>
>Telegraph, surely, in 18-something, if you count morse-code. I believe
>they also tried to experiment with sending images down the telegraph wire
>- I presume as an early form of pixilated image using dots.

I believe that, in the mid-1800s, they tried a crude cross-Channel (the
English Channel) fax system, using a swinging pendulum at each end of
the link. [But can't yet find a Google hit for it.]

--
Ian

Jack Campin - bogus address

May 24, 2010, 3:08:42 PM5/24/10
>>> Or would that be email ? Which is older, come to that ?
>> Email is a few years older - both predate the Internet.
> So when do you count as the beginning of the Internet? I was using
> internets back in perhaps '90, and as I recall the Internet per se was
> really only still a thing for academics and the like. I recall the
> excitement of I university professor I met in '89 as he told me that
> he'd received an email from another academic in the US. (The
> excitement was not about the content of the mail, but the fact that it
> had arrived at all.) That was at Cranfield, where they had a fairly
> good geek-ratio. Still - I suspect that the email had worked its way
> through various networks that probably did not form part of the
> Internet.

Yes. that was how it used to work. I was using email internationally
in 1983, so Cranfield must have been well behind. There were lots of
academic mailing lists by 1989, some of them gatewayed onto Usenet,
and email was a normal way for academics to co-operate.

Old-style email addressing (without the Internet's concept of a
"domain") involved specifying exactly which machines your message
was to be routed through - as if you had to say exactly which
postal sorting office in Germany was going to forward your letter
to which post office in Switzerland.

William Black

May 24, 2010, 4:21:51 PM5/24/10
On 24/05/10 15:15, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
>>> (Is USENET the original Internet social medium?)
>> Or would that be email ? Which is older, come to that ?
>
> Email is a few years older - both predate the Internet.
>
> The original electronic communications medium was telex. I spent
> a short while working as a cleaner in an international telephone
> exchange around 1973, with several telex terminals, and remember
> thinking I'd like to have a gadget like that at home.

Well I was mending them and servicing them until about 1995.

If you want one I can recommend the Siemens T-100 as the most reliable
and mechanically elegant.

--
William Black

These are the gilded popinjays and murderous assassins of Perfidious
Albion and they are about their Queen's business. Any man who impedes
their passage does so at his own peril.

William Black

May 24, 2010, 4:22:51 PM5/24/10
On 24/05/10 18:41, SH wrote:

>>> Or would that be email ? Which is older, come to that ?
>>
>> Email is a few years older - both predate the Internet.
>>
>> The original electronic communications medium was telex.
>
> Telegraph, surely, in 18-something, if you count morse-code.

More was originally a mechanical system, but they discovered that
operators were both faster and more accurate.

It is loading more messages.