The Mole is....

Antelao

Dec 2, 2001, 9:29:21 AM12/2/01
Judging from last series it is almost impossible to work out because the
programme is cleverly edited to show just the right amount of clues and red
herrings. Add to that the fact that all the contestants pretend to be the
mole to confuse each other and it all becomes very difficult, good game
though.
I have had Tanya as number one suspect since the fake injury episode so its
probably Daffyd.
Ski <n...@lycaus.globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> My guess is Tanya.
>
> Ski
>
> /Who Loves Ya? Who's been on your side morning and night?\
> | |
> | My Deborah Gibson website at: |
> | www.deb-ski.com |
> | |
> | E-mail me at : n...@lycaus.globalnet.co.uk |
> \ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ /

Matthew Clemson

Dec 2, 2001, 9:49:41 AM12/2/01

"Antelao" <pelb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Judging from last series it is almost impossible to work out because
> the programme is cleverly edited to show just the right amount of
> clues and red herrings.

If I'm right about the identity, then this series has been considerably less
subtle than last series (Er; I didn't see it, I'm going on reputation here);
while it may have been tricky for the contestants to figure out, for the
viewer it's not so tough, particularly with the benefit of hindsight and the
chance to view the clues again, which the contenders didn't get.

I think series 3, if it happens (And I *SO* hope it does) should strike a
rough balance between the two, but leaning more towards series 1's method; I
want a chance to guess the Mole, but I don't want it staring me in the face
every so often.

> Add to that the fact that all the contestants pretend to be the
> mole to confuse each other and it all becomes very difficult, good
> game though.

I reckon Chris is doing that, actually.

> I have had Tanya as number one suspect since the fake injury episode
> so its probably Daffyd.

Now that is *really* sneaky. Avoid the finger of suspicion by deliberately
going out in the penultimate round? Who'd have thought it, eh?

My guess has been consistent since about week 4 or so. Oh, and I reckon I
know what's in those metal tubes, by deduction :-)

-Matt

Antelao

Dec 2, 2001, 11:38:17 AM12/2/01
I thought series 1 was very easy and straightforward because of the obvious
clues but this all proved wrong on the final episode. The week after was an
explanation show that showed a lot of stuff you didn't see on the show and
it was obvious the contestants had it easier than the viewers.
For example in week 2 or 3 one guy announced he knew for certain who the
mole was just before the questionnaire, he was then eliminated that night,
it turned he had been right about the mole but he wasn't shown suddenly
changing his mind as he answered the questions.
Matthew Clemson <ma...@ox.compsoc.net> wrote in message

Antelao

John L

Dec 2, 2001, 7:14:43 PM12/2/01
On Sun, 02 Dec 2001 21:14:03 GMT, n...@lycaus.globalnet.co.uk (Ski)
wrote:

>In article <9udih9$2o9$1...@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Matthew Clemson"

><ma...@ox.compsoc.net> wrote:
>>> I have had Tanya as number one suspect since the fake injury episode
>>> so its probably Daffyd.
>>
>>Now that is *really* sneaky. Avoid the finger of suspicion by deliberately
>>going out in the penultimate round? Who'd have thought it, eh?
>

>Tanya was the only one to actually take a free pass, everyone else
>declined. Last week she was the only one to hit the target on the trailing
>boat from the helicopter.

What was suspicious about that? Are you saying it was actually
impossible and she got help to throw others of the scent?

Chris got two of the clues, didn't he? The one about the time zone and
the one about the mole being male ("buck"). Even with these heavy
hints I competely failed to believe it and actually wanted Tanya to
win. She actually deserved to more than either of the last two blokes
: )

John L

Matthew Clemson

Dec 2, 2001, 7:22:16 PM12/2/01

"John L" <jo...@zahidjohn.plus.com> wrote in message

> >Tanya was the only one to actually take a free pass, everyone else
> >declined. Last week she was the only one to hit the target on the
> >trailing boat from the helicopter.

> What was suspicious about that? Are you saying it was actually
> impossible and she got help to throw others of the scent?

In the previous series, the Mole was often told to 'even the odds' if
possible; since both people prior to Tanya missed, she was probably told to
hit in order to deflect suspicion and keep the challenge alive.

> Chris got two of the clues, didn't he? The one about the time zone

Actually, he didn't.

[Spoiler space, just to be on the safe side]

That should be about enough.

I figured out the puzzle by being extremely lucky and having seen a puzzle
which used an identical gimmick just the previous day; the clocks weren't
telling the time anywhere, at all (Actually, I'm not quite sure where the
time zone logic comes from; surely all the UK is a single time zone?). In
fact, the places they represented - Montreal, Ontario, Lake Erie, ? - just
serve to spell out 'MOLE' when you take the initials of each place. The real
hint came from the times themselves; if you read them as semaphore, they
spelled out 'BUCK' - quite a clue!

Mind you, I doubt I'd have got that without having stumbled on the similar
puzzle the previous day.

-Matt

John L

Dec 3, 2001, 5:18:05 PM12/3/01
On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 00:22:16 -0000, "Matthew Clemson"
<ma...@ox.compsoc.net> wrote:

>[Spoiler space, just to be on the safe side]

>That should be about enough.
>

>The real
>hint came from the times themselves; if you read them as semaphore, they
>spelled out 'BUCK' - quite a clue!

Brilliant. Thanks for that. I'm sure you'll be proved right on Sunday.

John L

The Manual

Dec 3, 2001, 6:59:24 PM12/3/01

"Matthew Clemson" <ma...@ox.compsoc.net> wrote in message
There was also the thing about "The mole is male" - like Buck.

Chris Howe

Dec 3, 2001, 9:06:58 PM12/3/01
Its a damn fine show isn't it? I tried to evangelise it to my friends
but they just can't bring themselves to watch "Reality TV" on
Channel 5. For shame, cos its not Reality TV, and the show's
better than anything else on C5 (although its generally improving)

Are any of you guys on the Mole message board by the way?

--
Chris

simon

Dec 3, 2001, 6:20:14 PM12/3/01
In article <u0l6csf...@corp.supernews.com>, Ski
<n...@lycaus.globalnet.co.uk> writes

>In article <9udih9$2o9$1...@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Matthew Clemson"
><ma...@ox.compsoc.net> wrote:
>>> I have had Tanya as number one suspect since the fake injury episode
>>> so its probably Daffyd.
>>
>>Now that is *really* sneaky. Avoid the finger of suspicion by deliberately
>>going out in the penultimate round? Who'd have thought it, eh?
>
>Tanya was the only one to actually take a free pass, everyone else
>declined.

Not true carrie did the bear thing to get a free pass but she failed. I
think someone else may have tried too.

> Last week she was the only one to hit the target on the trailing
>boat from the helicopter.

Was she? Didn't someone else hit it?
--
simon

simon

Dec 3, 2001, 6:27:12 PM12/3/01
In article <9ugkc3$6r0$1...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, Matthew Clemson
<ma...@ox.compsoc.net> writes
I only got it after I read it on the channel5 site! Apparently the
locations are all in a line and there's a place called London on the
line. The second hand of the clock pointed to 8 and tanya was contestant
8. The clue in the barn had her name in code somehow.

After that though there's no way I would have guessed it was her
although I had a gut feeling. It was much harder this time. Okay last
time I swore blind it was jennifer but I just didn't think anyone could
be that incompetent. What made it enjoyable was the fact that I was so
sure. The challenges were better by far and it was better directed. The
challenges this time weren't that special with the exception of the
school challenge. Also Zi was so enthusiastic it really made the series.
These guys didn't do the same and the only person I wanted to win was
Paul because he seems like a friendly guy.
--
simon

simon

Dec 4, 2001, 7:20:11 PM12/4/01
In article <9uhb5f$ciq$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, Chris Howe
<mrme...@iname.com> writes
Sometimes but it's a poor setup with a slew of postings that don't add
anything and because it lists posts in chronological order the older
posts get pushed of the bottom and people don't read them so they post
the same thing again. You have to read it every few hours and because of
that people post even more! Also when you read something "off the page"
you have to click more messages again to get back to the page you were
reading.
--
simon