Linham strikes again

1 view

Linda Fox

Mar 19, 2001, 3:27:27 PM3/19/01
Well done St John's!!!!!

Handy to know so much about cyanide, wasn't it, Rob?
--
Linda ff, Somerville and Robin F, Christ's (the other place)

Rob Linham

Mar 19, 2001, 4:44:13 PM3/19/01
On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Linda Fox wrote:
> Well done St John's!!!!!

Thank you <beam>

> Handy to know so much about cyanide, wasn't it, Rob?

<nervous smile>

I hope everyone enjoyed our acting during the re-filming of the music
bonuses :-)

Rob.

--
"And everything you tried to say, but all the words got in the way."
Quiz Webmaster Extraordinaire @ http://here.is/oxfordquiz

Carole Appleyard

Mar 19, 2001, 6:23:08 PM3/19/01
In article <Pine.OSF.4.21.010319...@sable.ox.ac.uk>,
Rob Linham <sjoh...@herald.ox.ac.uk> writes

>On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Linda Fox wrote:
>> Well done St John's!!!!!
>
>Thank you <beam>
>
>> Handy to know so much about cyanide, wasn't it, Rob?
>
><nervous smile>
>
>I hope everyone enjoyed our acting during the re-filming of the music
>bonuses :-)

We all cheered like mad, well done.
Husbad says I am not to mention the feet so I won't ;-)
LLL - my three (I cannot do apples)

--
Carole

The Purple Potter

Mar 20, 2001, 2:55:34 AM3/20/01
While pinned under a cow in a deep, wet gully I heard Rob Linham say:

>On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Linda Fox wrote:
>> Well done St John's!!!!!
>
>Thank you <beam>
>
>> Handy to know so much about cyanide, wasn't it, Rob?
>
><nervous smile>
>
>I hope everyone enjoyed our acting during the re-filming of the music
>bonuses :-)

What, all that business about the clarinets sounding very Beethovenish,
you mean?

Jane
The potter in the purple socks; FUSSPOT
http://www.clothandclay.co.uk
To reply, remove socks

Stephen

Mar 20, 2001, 6:10:34 AM3/20/01
Also Sprach The Purple Potter <Purple...@www.clothandclaysocks.co.uk>:

>While pinned under a cow in a deep, wet gully I heard Rob Linham say:
>>On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Linda Fox wrote:
>>> Well done St John's!!!!!
>>
>>Thank you <beam>
>>
>>> Handy to know so much about cyanide, wasn't it, Rob?
>>
>><nervous smile>
>>
>>I hope everyone enjoyed our acting during the re-filming of the music
>>bonuses :-)
>
>What, all that business about the clarinets sounding very Beethovenish,
>you mean?

Re-filming? When did that start? In my day we did it all in one
take, with no chance of covering up embarrassing fluffs or other
antics. But then Mr Gascoigne was _such_ a professional. Not like
that journalist chappie that they have these days. Oh, and we had to
win 3 times just to get through to the second round. Young people
today just don't know they're (cont p.94)

--
Stephen

Rostrum Camera Ken Morse
Evelyn Waugh, Scoop

Rob Linham

Mar 20, 2001, 8:06:37 AM3/20/01
On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, The Purple Potter wrote:
> While pinned under a cow in a deep, wet gully I heard Rob Linham say:
> >I hope everyone enjoyed our acting during the re-filming of the music
> >bonuses :-)
> What, all that business about the clarinets sounding very Beethovenish,
> you mean?

That's the one! We were rather proud of our fake erudition :-)
There's also a wonderful moment where Patrick says of one "It sounds
nineteenth century" and Aaron replies "Well, he said it was 1871". To
which Patrick pointed out: "No he didn't." Paxo had only given that piece
of information on the *first* time we filmed it!

Rob (wearing his nice new UC rugby shirt today to see how many people
comment on it in town in a few minutes!)

Rob Linham

Mar 20, 2001, 8:11:23 AM3/20/01
[As usual, I'm making a good case for
uk.media.radio.archers.umrats-hobbies.university-challenge today :-) ]

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Stephen wrote:
> Re-filming? When did that start? In my day we did it all in one
> take, with no chance of covering up embarrassing fluffs or other
> antics. But then Mr Gascoigne was _such_ a professional. Not like
> that journalist chappie that they have these days. Oh, and we had to
> win 3 times just to get through to the second round. Young people
> today just don't know they're (cont p.94)

The embarrassing fluff was that part of the audience seating fell apart
with a very loud clanging noise. It would have been retrievable, had we
all not stopped, stared, and Patrick said "Hmm. I don't remember that in
the recording *I* own..."

More amusing was the retake of Univ's "muffle the drum" answer.
Apparently, that nice Mr Gerrard said it with insufficient conviction, and
so had to refilm. (The question was the W. H. Auden poem from Four
Weedings and a Funnel). Every time, Paxman was expecting him to say
"Muffin the Mule", and so cracked up. It took about 20 retakes for 3
words.

Mike W Ellwood

Mar 21, 2001, 6:03:30 AM3/21/01
Rob Linham (sjoh...@herald.ox.ac.uk) wrote:

: The embarrassing fluff was that part of the audience seating fell apart

: with a very loud clanging noise.

Not too many killed I hope.... :-)

: It would have been retrievable, had we

: all not stopped, stared, and Patrick said "Hmm. I don't remember that in
: the recording *I* own..."

ROFL!

: More amusing was the retake of Univ's "muffle the drum" answer.

: Apparently, that nice Mr Gerrard said it with insufficient conviction, and
: so had to refilm. (The question was the W. H. Auden poem from Four
: Weedings and a Funnel). Every time, Paxman was expecting him to say
: "Muffin the Mule", and so cracked up. It took about 20 retakes for 3
: words.

Well done lad, especially as "Muffin The Mule" was way before your day.
Must say, I had absolutely no idea about all these re-takes.
That's television for you...a fake medium, if ever I heard of one.

Like those "noddies" they have to film (apparently) for head to head
interviews. Far better to adopt the old "Face to Face" technique
of only ever showing the person being interviewed....watch his reaction
when being asked the question, as well as while answering it. I
don't want to see the interviewer's face (unless by some miracle
it were Charlotte Green's...), and especially not doing "noddies"!

Back to UC....nice to hear that Paxo is human enough to crack up...
...he comes over as a rather stern uncle, not the one that
took you to the fair and let you eat far too much of what was not
good for you.

Anyway, rattling good contest, and I look forward to the next episode...
--
mi...@ellwoods.org.uk