Off: Royal Mail

Chris McMillan

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
In article <380cffe8...@news.mersinet.co.uk>, Charles F Hankel
<URL:mailto:cha...@hankel.mersinet.co.uk> wrote:
> I was going to e-mail this to Jenny but then I thought you'd all be
> dead interested which, of course, you are.
>
> After Jenny MB's sojourn up here a while ago, she sent me a postcard
> by 1st Class post from Carrog, which isn't particularly far from here,
> were it not for the River Dee and the border.
>
> It's postmarked Rhyl 31 August and has a very nice note to which I can
> only reply that the day was pleasant for me as well, especially the
> ice-cream she bought me. Oh, one other thing, I received the card on
> Tuesday morning.

Clearly not as good as when George M sent his post code card to whom ever.

Sincerely, Chris

--
Mrs. Chris McMillan.
A squirrel is a rat with good PR

Jenny M Benson

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
In article <380cffe8...@news.mersinet.co.uk>, Charles F Hankel
<cha...@hankel.mersinet.co.uk> writes

>especially the
>ice-cream she bought me.

Go on, Charles - tell them the story of the ice cream!! (It was
delivered a *little* quicker than the postcard, though!)
--
Jenny
Rules That Men Wish Women Knew, 3: If something we said can be

K Richard W

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
Wandering round the estate on Mon, 18 Oct 1999, I gather that Chris
McMillan had told umra:

>Clearly not as good as when George M sent his post code card to whom ever.

Penny I think.
--
K Richard W
LSS super-numerary

K Richard W

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
Wandering round the estate on Tue, 19 Oct 1999, I gather that Jenny M
Benson had told umra:

>Go on, Charles - tell them the story of the ice cream!! (It was
>delivered a *little* quicker than the postcard, though!)

Was it quicker than the post office dealing with a parcel of cheese.

Oh expletive delighted!! I have just posted on topic when the subject
is off!

Tim Hall

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:26:33 +0100, K Richard W
<richard....@tesco.net> wrote:

>Wandering round the estate on Mon, 18 Oct 1999, I gather that Chris
>McMillan had told umra:
>
>>Clearly not as good as when George M sent his post code card to whom ever.
>>

>Penny I think.

But doesn't George, of the less than common surname, and three letter
island, manage even without a postcode? Or so he claimed once. I
didn't have the nerve to test him.

Tim

George

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99
In article <380f9426...@news.freeuk.net>, Tim Hall
<tim...@freeuk.com> writes

I once received a letter for "Nimmo, Isle of Wight". A letter/postcard
to Nimmo, IoW might well work... but for true brevity, there is always
the two letter abbreviation...

Nimmo,
IW

If anyone is keen to give the postal service such a stern test, send me
a post-card and I shall confirm her receipt.
--
George Nimmo

Charles F Hankel

Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99
While stalking the Beast of Borsetshire, I heard K Richard W
<richard....@tesco.net> in the bushes say:

=> Wandering round the estate on Tue, 19 Oct 1999, I gather that Jenny M
=> Benson had told umra:
=>
=> >Go on, Charles - tell them the story of the ice cream!! (It was
=> >delivered a *little* quicker than the postcard, though!)
=>
=> Was it quicker than the post office dealing with a parcel of cheese.
=>
=> Oh expletive delighted!! I have just posted on topic when the subject
=> is off!

No, the poor lad couldn't get his machine up to speed. First day on
the job after a long absence, and just helping out. He'd expected to
be on a massive burger van and was really embarrassed as Jenny and I
just kept on chatting with him while he tried his best.

--

Charles F Hankel
-------------------------------------

Chris McMillan

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
<URL:mailto:tim...@freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:26:33 +0100, K Richard W
> <richard....@tesco.net> wrote:
>
> >Wandering round the estate on Mon, 18 Oct 1999, I gather that Chris
> >McMillan had told umra:
> >
> >>Clearly not as good as when George M sent his post code card to whom ever.
> >>

> >Penny I think.
> >

> But doesn't George, of the less than common surname, and three letter
> island, manage even without a postcode? Or so he claimed once. I
> didn't have the nerve to test him.

I recently wrote a letter to a friend in Worcester (the city) and didn't put
the postcode. All it had was the house number, street and city. I am not
writing Worcester, Worcs. Any more than I'd write Cambridge, Cambs.
It was returned! They'd never thought of trying the city obviously.

Sue Mitchell

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
In article <ant25175...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk>, Chris McMillan
<Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> writes

>I recently wrote a letter to a friend in Worcester (the city) and didn't put
>the postcode. All it had was the house number, street and city. I am not
>writing Worcester, Worcs. Any more than I'd write Cambridge, Cambs.
>It was returned! They'd never thought of trying the city obviously.

I once sent a Christmas card to an old school friend in Ithaca, N.Y.,
not knowing that she'd moved. The card was returned several weeks later
with a note on the envelope saying that the redirection had now ceased,
followed by her new address - which was in the same town about 10
minutes walk away! So rather than just deliver the card, they'd sent it
all the way back across the Atlantic...

Best wishes,
Sue
--

__ __
{{{{\ /}}}} Sue Mitchell
>--->8<---<
{:.;/ 0 \;.:} "My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies"
~~ ~~ - B.H.M.

Mike Ellwood

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
Sue Mitchell (s...@imps.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: I once sent a Christmas card to an old school friend in Ithaca, N.Y.,

: not knowing that she'd moved. The card was returned several weeks later
: with a note on the envelope saying that the redirection had now ceased,
: followed by her new address - which was in the same town about 10
: minutes walk away! So rather than just deliver the card, they'd sent it
: all the way back across the Atlantic...

That does sound pretty dumb.
But on the other hand, I suppose at least at the end of
the exercise, you knew the new address.
--
Mike.E...@rl.ac.uk

luc

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
In article <FIVo$YAfqN...@imps.demon.co.uk>, Sue Mitchell
<s...@imps.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <ant25175...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk>, Chris McMillan
><Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>
>>I recently wrote a letter to a friend in Worcester (the city) and didn't put
>>the postcode. All it had was the house number, street and city. I am not
>>writing Worcester, Worcs. Any more than I'd write Cambridge, Cambs.
>>It was returned! They'd never thought of trying the city obviously.
>>
>I once sent a Christmas card to an old school friend in Ithaca, N.Y.,
>not knowing that she'd moved. The card was returned several weeks later
>with a note on the envelope saying that the redirection had now ceased,
>followed by her new address - which was in the same town about 10
>minutes walk away! So rather than just deliver the card, they'd sent it
>all the way back across the Atlantic...

Well, just to restore the reputation of Ithaca's Post Office: I lived in
a house in Collegetown, the densely populated student ghetto adjacent to
the campus, for many years. For three of those years, our house had a
plastic goose hanging from the porch. (Don't ask.) We received at
least 4 pieces of mail sent to the address: "Duck House, Cook Street,
Ithaca, New York", the last of which was delivered a good 6 months after
the goose had been "liberated" (along with a very nice Mexican
hammock)...

-Lucrezia

(http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/4120/ for a fowl picture)

--
luc
email: lucr...@quentincrisp.com

Fred Dowson

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
> Well, just to restore the reputation of Ithaca's Post Office: I lived in
> a house in Collegetown, the densely populated student ghetto adjacent to
> the campus, for many years. For three of those years, our house had a
> plastic goose hanging from the porch. (Don't ask.) We received at
> least 4 pieces of mail sent to the address: "Duck House, Cook Street,
> Ithaca, New York", the last of which was delivered a good 6 months after
> the goose had been "liberated" (along with a very nice Mexican
> hammock)...
>
> -Lucrezia
My son sent a postcard from the 'States to "The house next to the back door
of the Bagshot museum,
Batley, (There's probably a Shogun in the drive) ENGLAND"
It got there with minimum delay. So the Brit P.O. isn't too bad either.
Fred the one with the idiot son.

K Richard W

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Wandering round the estate on Wed, 27 Oct 1999, I gather that Fred
Dowson had told umra:

Why does the town of
>Batley,
have a museum of the lovely town of
>Bagshot
?

Fred Dowson

Nov 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/1/99

> Why does the town of
> >Batley,
> have a museum of the lovely town of
> >Bagshot
> ?
> K Richard W
Ah, well. Acsherly a museum donated by the Bagshot family. It has one of the
best displays of Egyptological (?) stuff. Mummies, sarcophogi and so on.
Well worth a visit and a welcome surprise. It really isn't the sort of thing
you expect to find when you turn down a side road in a housing estate in a
gritty northern town, but There It Is!
Anyone in W.Yorks should make the effort.
Fred the historical