Opening Hours

Mike Ruddock

Jul 22, 2010, 2:05:23 PM7/22/10
A Tesco "convenience" (1) store has opened up near us. The purpose of this
shop is, I suspect, to kill off the other local stores. (There is a
perfectly adequate Co-op within 200 yards.) I noticed when passing the new
place the other day that it advertises its opening hours as 6 am to 11 pm.
(The Co-op opens 7 am to 10 pm.) It appears, though I haven't confirmed
this, that the opening hours operate 7 days a week.

I thought that the Sunday Opening regulations decreed that firms with
nationwide stores were only allowed to open for 6 hours on Sunday. (This
certainly seems to apply to B&Q, Sainsbury and Morrison.) How can Tesco
escape these regulations?

1. That is to say not a huge supermarket but a smaller shop of about 1000 sq
ft

Mike Ruddock

David

Jul 22, 2010, 2:23:35 PM7/22/10
In article <8arfj3...@mid.individual.net>, Mike Ruddock

<michael...@mypostoffice.co.uk> wrote:
> A Tesco "convenience" (1) store has opened up near us. The purpose
> of this shop is, I suspect, to kill off the other local stores.
> (There is a perfectly adequate Co-op within 200 yards.) I noticed
> when passing the new place the other day that it advertises its
> opening hours as 6 am to 11 pm. (The Co-op opens 7 am to 10 pm.) It
> appears, though I haven't confirmed this, that the opening hours
> operate 7 days a week.

> I thought that the Sunday Opening regulations decreed that firms with
> nationwide stores were only allowed to open for 6 hours on Sunday.
> (This certainly seems to apply to B&Q, Sainsbury and Morrison.) How
> can Tesco escape these regulations?

I don't think they can. It could be a mistake.

> 1. That is to say not a huge supermarket but a smaller shop of about
> 1000 sq ft

You have my sympathy.

We use to have a Co-op (with busy filling station) and a Somerfield.
Then Tesco moved into town, opened up a big store (giving us a new
Library and Primary School in the process in order to get the land they
wanted and oil the wheels). The main road was also redesigned to go
past the new store - not to mention a point closure on our
through-estate which left us having to spend about an hour extra
travelling each week.

In a few months the Co-op closed (the filling station remaining open)
but all was not lost as the Co-op had taken over Somerfield so we could
still get some of the stuff we were used to. Alas, before long,
Somerfield also closed, the store being taken by Haldanes - which
lasted only about 4 months. Then the Co-op filling station closed.

Tesco creates a wasteland around itself.

--
Om Namah Shivaya | Om Jagad-gurave namaha

David - toro-danyo atcost uku fullstop co fullstop uk
http://www.toro-danyo.uku.co.uk/

Kate Brown

Jul 22, 2010, 2:40:17 PM7/22/10
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, David wrote

Very true. What's more, the Tesco 'Express' stores somehow slip through
the regulations, I think because of surface area, and can be open at the
same time as any convenience store, ie open all hours.

Though possibly not 24 hour? But certainly on Sundays.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally

Captain Paralytic

Jul 22, 2010, 2:52:23 PM7/22/10
On Jul 22, 7:05 pm, "Mike Ruddock"

We have two Co-ops near us, one may open for only 6 hours on a Sunday
whereas the other may open all day (I think it closes at 23:00). It
appears to be down to the size of the individual shop and not that of
the owners.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jul 22, 2010, 4:52:16 PM7/22/10
In message
<deb2f17c-6650-45a8...@d17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Captain Paralytic <paul_l...@yahoo.com> writes:
[]

>We have two Co-ops near us, one may open for only 6 hours on a Sunday
>whereas the other may open all day (I think it closes at 23:00). It
>appears to be down to the size of the individual shop and not that of
>the owners.

It never occurred to me that the size of the owner might affect things,
but I suppose Arkwright was quite rotund ...
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

<This space unintentionally left blank>.

Linda Fox

Jul 22, 2010, 5:51:49 PM7/22/10
On 22/07/2010 19:05, Mike Ruddock wrote:
> A Tesco "convenience" (1) store has opened up near us. The purpose of
> this shop is, I suspect, to kill off the other local stores. (There is a
> perfectly adequate Co-op within 200 yards.)

Cambridge is a place that Tesco seems to be determined to take over, and
there's a lot of protest going on. We have a "Texex"[1] 5 minutes' walk
from us, and it's a great boon to us, a great improvement on the
previous One-Stop, we recognise a couple of the checker-outers in the
street etc; but they also opened another texex in Mill Road, a very
interesting street containing a lovely mix of eateries, ethnic food
shops, charity shops, second-hand, electrical etc and a good co-op
(separate pharmacy and supermarket). There were protests with banners
and everything. It has still opened. It's a rubbish texex, the Co-op is
going from strength to strength and the texex is usually empty. It
doesn't appear to have made much impact at all on the other shops, :o)

[1]Tesco Express, obviously. We're about a mile from Big Tesco, a mile
the other way from Sainsburys, 3-4 miles from Waitrose, and just under a
mile from Budgens (or Bugdens as one of my friends would insist on
calling it) - now _there's_ a nice little supermarket, full of
surprises, nice quality, brands you don't find elsewhere, and it was
open on Christmas Day so we made a point in going in there to greet them
all, as did a fair number of other locals.

lff

Kate Brown

Jul 22, 2010, 6:01:36 PM7/22/10
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Linda Fox wrote
Golly, I thought Christmas Day was one of the very few days (like Easter
Sunday?) where everything *has* to close, full stop no excuses?

carolet

Jul 22, 2010, 7:12:22 PM7/22/10

I believe that Easter Sunday is the only such day. The Sunday Trading Bill
(or whatever it was called), that restricted large shops to opening for only
6 hours and and not at all on Easter Day, only concerned itself with
Sundays. It didn't restrict shops opening on Christmas Day.

--

CaroleT

a l l y

Jul 22, 2010, 7:53:56 PM7/22/10

"Captain Paralytic" <paul_l...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Yes, it's the same here. There's one big (by Cumbrian standards anyway)
Co-op supermarket in Maryport; Cockermouth, Aspatria and Wigton however -
most of the other towns in the area, in fact - have smaller branches, more
like convenience stores. So on Sunday the Maryport branch is restricted to 6
hours opening, whereas the others close at 10pm. This is one of the silly
rules regarding English opening hours. (If we really want to shop on Sundays
we just have to nip up to Dumfries, where the Scottish supermarkets can stay
open 24/7.)

ally

a l l y

Jul 22, 2010, 7:58:29 PM7/22/10

"carolet" <chez_c...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> I believe that Easter Sunday is the only such day. The Sunday Trading Bill
> (or whatever it was called), that restricted large shops to opening for
> only 6 hours and and not at all on Easter Day, only concerned itself with
> Sundays. It didn't restrict shops opening on Christmas Day.

Goodness. I do miss living in Scotland sometimes. One of the many nice
things about living in a cosmopolitan city like Edinburgh was that even on
days that some parts of the population might think unsuitable for shopping -
like Easter - there would always be people from other faith groups who were
quite happy to open their shops, and, because of our more sensible laws,
they were legally allowed to do so. Our lovely Pakistani corner shops would
be open normal hours on Christmas day, Easter Sunday and all the rest, and
they did a roaring trade too.

I'm not sure what happens now, but it wouldn't suprise me at all if Tesco
were open right through Christmas, Easter and the rest. (Must find out.)

ally

Nick

Jul 23, 2010, 1:11:24 AM7/23/10
"Mike Ruddock" <michael...@mypostoffice.co.uk> writes:

> A Tesco "convenience" (1) store has opened up near us. The purpose of
> this shop is, I suspect, to kill off the other local stores. (There is
> a perfectly adequate Co-op within 200 yards.) I noticed when passing
> the new place the other day that it advertises its opening hours as 6
> am to 11 pm. (The Co-op opens 7 am to 10 pm.) It appears, though I
> haven't confirmed this, that the opening hours operate 7 days a week.

We've got an area with a not-very-good reputation that the council keep
saying they want to improve.

On the periphery of it, on one stretch of road, there used to be a
convenience shop/newsagents, a furniture shop, a butcher and a
greengrocer's, as well as what had been a horrible but was now a rather
decent pub.

Sainsbury's opened half a mile or so away a couple of years ago, but the
other shops seemed to me surviving.

Then, when the furniture shop relocated Tesco turned it into a local
shop. Within 6 months the newsagent, greengrocer's and butcher had
closed. A bit later the newsagent's reopened as a Bargain Booze.

The story of the pub I've recounted already. After shutting it against
local wishes (including the council's) it was turned into a pile of
rubbish (in the absence of a demolition order) within a week. It has
been like that for a couple of months now.

In the last couple of weeks they started to convert what was the
butcher's into a Chinese take-away, but the greengrocer's remains
boarded up and for sale or let.

Rosalind Mitchell

Jul 23, 2010, 4:59:25 AM7/23/10

It's really rather mediaeval, isn't it, that the church can dictate how
grown-ups can go about their business on the days church festivals
whether or not they are adherents or not. Rather like the church being
allowed to exercise bigotries that would be illegal in other walks of
life.

Rosjp

--
In the beginning, Emacs created God

Colin Blackburn

Jul 23, 2010, 5:01:13 AM7/23/10

Surface area is an interesting concept. Tesco would then build lots of
cubic shops. ;-)

I know what you mean and presume the regulations are governed by the
retail floor space

Colin

Rosalind Mitchell

Jul 23, 2010, 5:06:56 AM7/23/10
Nick <3-no...@temporary-address.org.uk> writes:

Bound to be a bookmakers in there sooner or later. Any run-down area
has to have a bookies even if all the other shops are boarded up.

Now, I don't mind having a bet now and then, only staking what I can
afford to lose, but it seems to me that a bookmaker is the most
efficient mechanism in existence (outside the National Lottery) for
parting the gullible from their cash. The fact that they seem to thrive
in poor areas only reinforces my belief.

BobE

Jul 23, 2010, 5:29:38 AM7/23/10
On 23 July, 10:06, Rosalind Mitchell <steamp...@golgonooza.co.uk>
wrote:
> Nick <3-nos...@temporary-address.org.uk> writes:

Not just the gullible. Let them win a few times and they will become
addicted.

Jenny M Benson

Jul 23, 2010, 5:40:47 AM7/23/10
In message <87zkxir...@marlowe.golgonooza.co.uk>, Rosalind Mitchell
<stea...@golgonooza.co.uk> writes

>Now, I don't mind having a bet now and then, only staking what I can
>afford to lose, but it seems to me that a bookmaker is the most
>efficient mechanism in existence (outside the National Lottery) for
>parting the gullible from their cash. The fact that they seem to
>thrive in poor areas only reinforces my belief.

I don't think it's because the poor are gullible, I think it's because
the poor see it as their only hope. They know it's a very, very faint
hope but it gives a little excitement and scope for day-dreaming of what
just *might* be one day. You can't day-dream about what you'd do with
the lottery millions if you never buy a ticket. If you are "comfortably
off" you have lots of opportunities for excitement and there isn't
nearly so much incentive to day-dream.
--
Jenny
"I always like to have the morning well-aired before I get up."

Jo Lonergan

Jul 23, 2010, 6:17:30 AM7/23/10
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:01:13 +0100, Colin Blackburn <ne...@ximenes.org.uk> wrote:

>Kate Brown wrote:
>>
>> Very true. What's more, the Tesco 'Express' stores somehow slip through
>> the regulations, I think because of surface area, and can be open at the
>> same time as any convenience store, ie open all hours.
>
>Surface area is an interesting concept. Tesco would then build lots of
>cubic shops. ;-)
>
>I know what you mean and presume the regulations are governed by the
>retail floor space

280 sq. metres appears to be the dividing line. I suppose that explains the
proliferation of Metros, Locals, Only Foods, etc.

I seem to remember a planning officer telling me that the supermarkets attached
to garages also avoid certain restrictions. Probably some mediaeval provision
for travellers, like the one the Basel Coop rediscovered, sensationally*
allowing shops within 100 m. of the station to stay open until 22:00.

--
Jo

*well, they had to bring in security guards to handle the crowds of
sensation-seekers

badriya

Jul 23, 2010, 7:28:59 AM7/23/10
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:40:47 +0100, Jenny M Benson
<nemo...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <87zkxir...@marlowe.golgonooza.co.uk>, Rosalind Mitchell
><stea...@golgonooza.co.uk> writes
>>Now, I don't mind having a bet now and then, only staking what I can
>>afford to lose, but it seems to me that a bookmaker is the most
>>efficient mechanism in existence (outside the National Lottery) for
>>parting the gullible from their cash. The fact that they seem to
>>thrive in poor areas only reinforces my belief.
>
>I don't think it's because the poor are gullible, I think it's because
>the poor see it as their only hope. They know it's a very, very faint
>hope but it gives a little excitement and scope for day-dreaming of what
>just *might* be one day. You can't day-dream about what you'd do with
>the lottery millions if you never buy a ticket. If you are "comfortably
>off" you have lots of opportunities for excitement and there isn't
>nearly so much incentive to day-dream.

Open Book yesterday on R4 had the author of a book around winning
millions on. Nicholas Shakespeare - Inheritance. It sounded
interesting but not at Amazon prices. We have a market stall in St
Neots sells books for less than Amazon and has a good selection of
recent ones so I must check there. They tend to be 2.50.

BobE

Jul 23, 2010, 8:41:18 AM7/23/10
On 23 July, 10:40, Jenny M Benson <nemon...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> You can't day-dream about what you'd do with
> the lottery millions if you never buy a ticket.

I do and I've never bought a ticket.
It really worries me; so much so that I don't want to win, and make
sure I don't.
I must've saved hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds.

If I won a lot, how much should I give to my close family?
What is meant by close?
What about friends?
"What? Is that all I'm worth to you after all I've done for you?"

Jenny M Benson

Jul 23, 2010, 10:32:59 AM7/23/10
In message
<6485ebf0-03ca-484a...@r27g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
BobE <bobem...@googlemail.com> writes

>It really worries me; so much so that I don't want to win, and make
>sure I don't.

I actually get quite annoyed when I hear people say "I wouldn't want to
win - I wouldn't know what to do with all that money." Apart from being
able to treat myself to things I can only dream of now (like buying my
own house and visiting friends overseas) I would get *huge* pleasure
from being in a position to donate generously to certain charities.

One thing I wouldn't do is tell anyone exactly how much I'd won and I
wouldn't give any to anyone I thought was likely to complain about not
being given enough. I like to think that no members of my family, who
would be likely recipients, would react in that way.

Jo Lonergan

Jul 23, 2010, 10:46:46 AM7/23/10
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 05:41:18 -0700 (PDT), BobE <bobem...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

I have sometimes thought that if I won the lottery I could buy a Van Gogh or
some Picasso drawings, etc., to hang on the wall and enjoy. But then I'd have to
live in a fortress for fear of somebody pinching it.

--
Jo

chris mcmillan

Jul 23, 2010, 12:55:45 PM7/23/10
In message <8at42p...@mid.individual.net>, Colin Blackburn
<ne...@ximenes.org.uk> writes
Womans Hour this past Monday had an article 'The History and Future of
the Department Store', and one of the shops mentioned is Reading's very
own 'Jacksons'. McT mentioned it to me earlier today.

Sincerely Chris

--
Chris McMillan
http://www.chinavisionuk.org/

Robin Fairbairns

Jul 24, 2010, 5:26:23 AM7/24/10
Jo Lonergan <jolon...@hotmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 05:41:18 -0700 (PDT), BobE <bobem...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On 23 July, 10:40, Jenny M Benson <nemon...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> You can't day-dream about what you'd do with
>>> the lottery millions if you never buy a ticket.
>>
>>I do and I've never bought a ticket.
>>It really worries me; so much so that I don't want to win, and make
>>sure I don't.
>>I must've saved hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds.
>>
>>If I won a lot, how much should I give to my close family?
>>What is meant by close?
>>What about friends?
>>"What? Is that all I'm worth to you after all I've done for you?"

jenny's answered that well. (better than i might have.)

> I have sometimes thought that if I won the lottery I could buy a Van Gogh or
> some Picasso drawings, etc., to hang on the wall and enjoy. But then
> I'd have to live in a fortress for fear of somebody pinching it.

but you would need a super bumper euro-trillions to buy those, the way
the super-rich are pumping the prices up.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Jo Lonergan

Jul 24, 2010, 10:27:19 AM7/24/10
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:26:23 +0100, Robin Fairbairns <rf...@sxp10.cl.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

I do wonder why They can't make better reproductions of paintings, with all the
resources of 3d printing etc. Even the colours are usually unconvincing. It
would be so nice to have a painting that makes your heart sing hanging on the
wall. Yes, I know, but I'm too lazy to go to every gallery exhibition that takes
place within 100 kilometers in the hope of coming across one by somebody still
working that had that effect.

I do remember a friend who worked for the BM's publishing company saying that
they didn't publish metal reproductions as it would be too hard to tell the
difference between them and a real one (as opposed to the resin Lewis chessmen,
for example). Perhaps that's it, and it's not in the owners' interests to make
the reproductions too good.

She also said the curators didn't mind their publishing plastic dinosaurs in all
sorts of colours, since nobody knew what colour a dinosaur was, anyway :-)

--
Jo

Robin Fairbairns

Jul 24, 2010, 6:09:02 PM7/24/10
Jo Lonergan <jolon...@hotmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:26:23 +0100, Robin Fairbairns
> <rf...@sxp10.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>Jo Lonergan <jolon...@hotmail.com> writes:
>>> I have sometimes thought that if I won the lottery I could buy a Van
>>>Gogh or some Picasso drawings, etc., to hang on the wall and
>>>enjoy. But then I'd have to live in a fortress for fear of somebody
>>>pinching it.
>>
>>but you would need a super bumper euro-trillions to buy those, the way
>>the super-rich are pumping the prices up.
>
> I do wonder why They can't make better reproductions of paintings,
> with all the resources of 3d printing etc. Even the colours are
> usually unconvincing. It would be so nice to have a painting that
> makes your heart sing hanging on the wall. Yes, I know, but I'm too
> lazy to go to every gallery exhibition that takes place within 100
> kilometers in the hope of coming across one by somebody still working
> that had that effect.

"lazy" is an odd word to use here. surely it's merely evidence that you
have a life, and belting around all over the countryside, all the time,
on the offchance of spotting something good ... just doesn't figure.

> I do remember a friend who worked for the BM's publishing company
> saying that they didn't publish metal reproductions as it would be too
> hard to tell the difference between them and a real one (as opposed to
> the resin Lewis chessmen, for example). Perhaps that's it, and it's
> not in the owners' interests to make the reproductions too good.
>
> She also said the curators didn't mind their publishing plastic
> dinosaurs in all sorts of colours, since nobody knew what colour a
> dinosaur was, anyway :-)

she'll have been disappointed, then, by the recent claim that they've
discovered evidence of the colouration of some dinosaur or other. (i
find it pretty fantastical, myself, but one assumes they've got some
evidence for their claims.)
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Nick

Aug 9, 2010, 8:45:36 AM8/9/10
Jo Lonergan <jolon...@hotmail.com> writes:

> I do wonder why They can't make better reproductions of paintings, with all the
> resources of 3d printing etc.

They can - it's called glicée - where an ink-jet printing technique is
used. It can be followed by hand applied varnish to give a very
convincing effect indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gicl%C3%A9e

The ones I saw when we were looking to buy a nice piece of artwork were
very good indeed, but we ended up buying an original by a not-big-name
artist instead. Duncan MacGregor if anyone cares.

Jenny M Benson

Aug 9, 2010, 9:21:54 AM8/9/10
On 09/08/2010 13:45, Nick wrote:
> They can - it's called glicée -