Secret Nuclear Bunker Under Manchester

George Coney

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
There is a secret nuclear bunker under Manchester City Centre!
Read about it at http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/guardian/

If anyone knows any more about this bunker please let me know.

I will be adding more information and pictures to the site in the near
future.

Regards,
George Coney

George Coney
Cybertron Limited
Chorlton
MANCHESTER, UK

email: geo...@cybertrn.demon.co.uk
Cybertron URL: http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk
Personal URL: http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/atomic/
Personal URL: http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/guardian/

ICQ: 1228329
Personal Communication Centre: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/1228329
Page Me directly to my screen: 122...@pager.mirabilis.com

Send a message to my mobile phone: ato...@genie.co.uk

Stuart Baldwin

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 00:28:45 +0100, "George Coney"
<geo...@cybertrn.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>There is a secret nuclear bunker under Manchester City Centre!
>Read about it at http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/guardian/

Interesting. I also have a copy of "War Plan UK", 1983 edition, and
also have a 1979 edition of "Beneath the City Streets" by Peter Laurie
that covers much of the same ground and indeed refersd to some of
Campbell's earlier research, but doesn't mention Guardian. I had
assumed that what you describe as a Norweb building was actually the
eastern entrance to the tunnel as it does appear to be a bit too large
and well ventilated to be just a substation. However, if the 'shed'
that you identify as the Salford end is all that's necessary there (I
haven't looked for it myself) then I suppose that it may be all that is
needed at the Ardwick end. The only information that I have to go on is
what is in War Plan UK.

By the way, if anyone hasn't worked out where the Ardwick buildings we
are talking about are - they are right next to the on-ramp of the
Mancunian Way (M57) westbound at the London Road junction.

I think your idea of turning it into a museum is interesting, but do you
know what condition it's in or whether it's currently in use by BT?
--
Stuart http://www.boxatrix.demon.co.uk

George Coney

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
The "Norweb Building" in Ardwick is a little suspicious looking. It is too
new to be the entrance to the Guardian tunnels built in the 1950s. I have
been in touch with Duncan Campbell (author of War Plan UK) about this and he
has an idea about what the new building may be. I will be having another
look at it soon to try to confirm these suspicions. The site will be updated
when I get new info.

Hopefully I will also be adding some pictures taken inside Guardian (not
taken by me!).

I don't know what condition any of the tunnels, etc. are in.

As far as I know it all belongs to BT now but I doubt it is still in use.
---
George Coney

George Coney <geo...@cybertrn.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> There is a secret nuclear bunker under Manchester City Centre!
> Read about it at http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/guardian/

Andy Taylor

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
Aparently, when work commenced on the new IMAX cinema in what was Maxwell
house at the intersection of Shudehill and Cross Street, 7 previously
un-documented, sub-basement floors were discovered, with locked doors into
mysterious tunnels. Could this be part of the same network?

Regards

Andy Taylor

Robert Casey

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99

Members of the Manchester Civic Society visited the tunnels not that long
ago. I spoke to the lady who organised it and she said that it had been
allowed because the MCS Chairwoman was friends with someone high up in BT.
She thought the tour was superb.

I was interested in organising a visit for my company but she said it was
highly unlikely that this would be allowed because they were now considered
'unsafe' for public access. She didn't know whether this was just a ploy or
if there really was a problem.

It really is a pity because there are so many fascinating places to visit in
the city and which are usually out of bounds. I recently managed to arrange
a trip up the Town Hall clock tower - we all stood under the main bell when
it struck 7 o'clock which was deafening - and the views were brilliant.

Robert

Robert Casey

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99

Robert Casey wrote in message <7mirir$2kk$1...@barcode.tesco.net>...

>Members of the Manchester Civic Society visited the tunnels not that long
>ago. I spoke to the lady who organised it and she said that it had been
>allowed because the MCS Chairwoman was friends with someone high up in BT.
>She thought the tour was superb.

I recall that she also said that the tunnels, rooms and been left virtually
untouched since being built and that it was all rather eerie. They met at
the entrance in Chinatown and went down in the lift there.

Dan Scorpio

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
Friend of mine told me (years ago) that he had actually explored some
tunnels under Stockport? Anyone know anything about that?

Another friend (and may I say here that this is rumour) said his old man
used to be a miner at Bold Colliery and that there were certain mine tunnels
(towards Burtonwood) that were tabboo areas. The pit is now shut, but the
military (RAF/USAF) still have a huge stores complex at Burtonwood.

Martin Palmer

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 03:36:46 +0100, "Dan Scorpio"
<zen...@globalnet.co.uk> gave forth, thus:

>Friend of mine told me (years ago) that he had actually explored some
>tunnels under Stockport? Anyone know anything about that?

Yes - there's a bloomin' big entrance at the back of the Co-op right
in the middle of Stockport, widely advertised, quite a tourist
attraction. They were used as air-raid shelters during WW2, and now
you can have guided tours for a couple of quid. My youngest went there
on a school trip a couple of years ago.

Martin Palmer
----------------------
Life - just one damn thing after another
----------------------
www.palmerco.u-net.com
----------------------
remove your_hat to reply via email

Ste Pickford

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
There are another set of tunnels in Stockport. We used to call them
'Maggie's Caves' for some reason. The entrance was one of those air-raid
shelter entrances past Hollywood Park if you walked out of Stockport centre
towards Edgely / Cheadle.

We used to go and play hide and seek down there as kids, but they were
absolutely MASSIVE. We would enter the caves (which were WW2 air raid
shelters as there were loads of rusty bunk beds) and walk for about 1/2 a
mile (guided by one of only about 3 kids who knew the whole layout) until we
got to a small section at the end about 100 * 100 meters that only had one
entrance. We would mark this entrance so nobody wandered out by accident,
then play hide and seek for hours in our small section, or at least until
our torch batteries started to run out.

I never properly explored the whole of the caves, but they were enormous.
There was a rumour at the time (early eighties) that they joined up with the
caves behind the Co-op, but I can't verify that.

Malc92

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:21:27 -0700, "Robert Casey"
<Robert...@tesco.net> wrote:

>Members of the Manchester Civic Society visited the tunnels not that long
>ago. I spoke to the lady who organised it and she said that it had been
>allowed because the MCS Chairwoman was friends with someone high up in BT.
>She thought the tour was superb.

She didn't get to see the laboratories where they breed the
human/alien hybrids then? Or the secret hangar where they've nearly
got that crashed saucer fully functional again? :)

Dave Atkinson

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
I'm reminded by this thread of the underground shopping complexes of
Canada, especially Montreal and Toronto. To escape the cold winters and
hot summers most of the city centre shops are built underground, or at
ground level, and linked by underground walkways. This has the added
benefit of continuing to allow traffic through the city, but reducing
traffic/pedestrian "interaction" :-)

If necessary replace "nospam.please" when replying
--
Dave Atkinson E-Mail : webm...@kynson.org.uk
WWW : http://www.kynson.org.uk

Tom M

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
There are also bricked up access's on Brinksway on the main road up from the
pyramid just before the Bow Garrett pub...i have always wondered where they
went as i drive past them every day.

I also remember a "new telephone exchange" being installed below piccadilly
gardens in the 60's..there was a lot of romours as i think they closed picc.
gardens while a lot of excavation took place. ( OK ..i remember a lot of
diggin anyway!!)

I heard from a BT guy that there was a large shaft somewhere around
chinatown in mcr. where all the machinery was lowered into for the
"guardian??" excavtions. They reassmenbled the machinery once it was
lowered...and the story goes that it is still down there!!!

And finally, I heard there was an underground rail link running from
Agecroft Colliery right into the city centre of mcr.

And i also heard that daewoos are a very reliable car!!

Spooky, eh???

TOMM

--
On reply remove "REMOVE" from my e-mail address....
....sorry but I am soooo fed up with SPAM.

Ste Pickford <s...@zedtwo.com> wrote in message

George Coney

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
The "large shaft somewhere around Chinatown in mcr." will be the George
Street building shown on the web site.
http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/guardian/

Tom M <tommR...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

RampRat

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
There's a huge one in Salford....just off the Worsley roundabout where the
Novotel is now.
Or at least there was until recently