Eign Road

Trevor Wright

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
Does anyone know what the plane was outside the "scout hut?" on eign road
and where and when did it go? (And how did it take off before the railway
bridge)

Trev
--
The Dead Sea is the world's saltiest body of water...although
my Aunt Ethel's chicken soup comes pretty close.

little_red_rooster

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
Ask Beldar, he lost his camouflage net. I bet its blown over the plane.

The plane itself was supplied by the local model shop as a full scale airfix
kit, it took 1500 tubes of airfix glue to assemble it and has since been
snorted away by various subscribers to local newsgroups.

Little Red Rooster.

A finer taste than mutton.

Trevor Wright <trevor...@spamnothanksbigfoot.com> wrote in message

Josey

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
If my memory servers me correct, it was outside the ATC (Air Training
Corps) Centre. That was a long time ago. I'm pretty certain it was a
DeHavalland Vampire. I know not of it's whereabouts now.

Josey.

Richie

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
In article <873kl9$8tb$1...@soap.pipex.net>, Josey

<10006...@compuserve.comical> wrote:
> If my memory servers me correct, it was outside the ATC (Air Training
> Corps) Centre. That was a long time ago. I'm pretty certain it was a
> DeHavalland Vampire. I know not of it's whereabouts now.

It was a Vampire I think, if not it could have been a DeHaviland Venom it
had twin booms to the tailplane anyway.

Richie

Beldar

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
I see that the hut is now an tuition centre,which begs the
question..'what became of the ATC?'
I see the army and sea cadets in the local press from time to time but
haven't seen anything of the ATC in recent years.
--
---------
Beldar

Richie <ric...@ukgateway.net> wrote in message

the sheep with no name

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00

Shawn Fleet <shawn...@lineone.net> wrote in message
> Ahhh the Vampire ahhhhhhhhhh
>
> When I was younger I lived directly across the road from the ATC centre
and
> grew up looking at that plane. Alas I went off to college a few years ago
in
> London and when I came home one holiday the plane had vanished, spirited
> away in the night which seems appropriate for such a creature.

Although i do not know you Shawn i am proud of you for the following reasons
, the first is that your name reminds me of "shaun the sheep" , and the
second - because your second name cound almost be "fleece" !!!! On
encountering your name on this newsgroup my sheep powers could not draw much
information from your mind but instead gave me an image , a view overlooking
Dartmouth harbour. Not sure if this has any relevance to you or i was just
grazing on the wrong grass that day.

Sheep

Trevor Wright

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00

Trevor Wright <trevor...@spamnothanksbigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know what the plane was outside the "scout hut?" on eign road
> and where and when did it go? (And how did it take off before the railway
> bridge)
>
> Trev

In case anyone else is interested, got this from another source.

> Hi Sam and Trevor!
>
> OK, the info from Dad on the plane...
>
> The plane was a DH Vampire type T11, Reg No. XE982, serial No. 7564M. It
> came originally from the RAF College in Cranwell and stood outside the ATC
> hut in Eign Rd for about 20 years or so.
>
> Dad had to make the decision to have it removed for restoration because:
>
> 1) it had suffered from a lot of vandalism (people chucking bricks over
the
> fence trying to smash the cockpit) and
>
> 2) the fuselage was made of wood and was starting to rot. The whole plane
> was beginning to collapse.
>
> At least 8 years ago Dad arranged for it to be taken away for restoration.
> The RAF hired a large crane and a low loader, and got permission to block
> off Eign Rd for about 3 hours. The wings were removed and the body lifted
> out of the compound.
>
> It was taken to RAF St Athan, near Cardiff, to be restored, but was found
> to be beyond economic repair. Dad has no idea what eventually happened to
> it - he reckons it could still be sitting behind a hanger now!
>
> Hope that answers your questions!
>
> Sam

Faith Myers

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
Obviously Shawn is a sailing sheep!
Faith
--
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it!
the sheep with no name <flu...@sheep100.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

the sheep with no name

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00

Faith Myers <fmy...@xenopus.co.uk> wrote in message

> Obviously Shawn is a sailing sheep!
> Faith

Yes Faith , i believe this Sheep to have once commanded that charming and
mystical ship , the Golden Fleece.