Praying, Working, Brains & Exports

gospvg

Feb 14, 2011, 2:28:39 AM2/14/11
Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

I've not touch my 360 or PS3 in over a week now :(
So I've just been playing on my ipod touch

Words with Friends - I've noticed that it clears completed games now after 7
days which is annoying because I can't remember the usernames of people I
have played against.

Disc Drvin - Won my first game in a while, perfect 10 second gameplay.

Azkend - It's a match them up "Bejewelled" type affair with extra powers you
can use.

Sorcerer of Fortune - Another match them up but with RPG elements in that
you level up & get money from winnning fight to go shopping.

Slingo Supreme - Great take on bingo & slots - trying to beat my high score
now.

Working (All weekend)

Nothing, I have a shelf full of games yet to play.
To play some PMGs this week

Brains (Mine are hurting)

Activision - Are they seriously only a 1 game company now?

Exports (Too much data !!)

Quite a bit on the ipod touch this week thanks to the sales

08/02/2011 Sword & Poker - Ł1.79
08/02/2011 Sword & Poker 2 - Ł2.39
09/02/2011 Street Fighter 4 - 59p
09/02/2011 Shadow Guardiani - 59p
09/02/2011 Phoenix Wright - 59p
09/02/2011 Super Monkey Ball 2 - 59p
09/02/2011 LOTR Defense - 59p
12/02/2011 Dungeon Raid - 59p

--
gospvg
[..getting old and still playing video games..]

HarpingOn

Feb 14, 2011, 3:11:19 AM2/14/11
On 14/02/2011 07:28, gospvg wrote:
> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

GT5 (PS3)

Now completed all the advanced an A- and B-Spec. I have my own Race Car,
the Toyota Minolta, thanks in no small part to @Zomoniac for the loan of
his Nissan which I will be shortly returning, washed, serviced and with
fresh tyres.

It's getting to the stage where new levels are slow to come. I qualify
for all Extreme A-Spec and I need one more Like The Wind race on B-Spec
to qualify for everything there.

I have grave doubts about my A-Spec ability, and Bob's B-Spec ability on
the NASCAR races in Extreme. Any tips? The car is locked down so I can't
upgrade my way to a win :( Any NASCAR tips are welcome. I bought a
CAMRY, although I think they're all the same. That being the point. What
do I do for gearbox and suspension setup? My feeling is that I should go
for max top speed, but keep the top three ratios close together, and
make it longer at the low end. Good idea? Or am I over thinking it and I
just need to get better at driving NASCARs?

Cladun (PSP)

Made lots of progress. Was stuck on a silly teleport-y maze-y level, but
grinded my way to an attrition victory on that and breezed through the
next set of levels. Everyone should play Cladun.

GRave Defense (Android)

Cheapass cheating bast. Still playing it though. It has severe game
balance issues. Wish I could find the Android's Geo Defense (not swarm)
or Fieldrunners. And no, Retro Defense and Robodefense are not adequate.

Shatter (PS3)

I find myself playing this again since its profile got raised by being
free. I beat hurricane (I think) and I'm working on Gunthergloops score.
Missed out last night because I was too tired.

> Working (All weekend)

Skyrim. But it won't work and it'll ruin my life.

> Brains (Mine are hurting)

flOw (PSP)

WTF? That's the last time I buy something sight unseen without reading
about it first, just because it's discounted.

> Exports (Too much data !!)

flOw (PSP) - £4.72

Total: £16.57

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Feb 14, 2011, 3:33:21 AM2/14/11
In article <8rs3tk...@mid.individual.net>,

gospvg <gospvgR...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

Persona 3 Portable (PSP) - Volleyball on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
when I'm not in the Student Council room. Health Committee on Tuesdays and
Thursdays when I'm not working at the coffee shop. And why does Junpei
keep asking me out on dates? There needs to be another iteration of the
game where you play a rich orphan with a personal assistant.

Guitar Hero Arcade (ARC) - Duh, it's Konami that made the stand-up cabinet
possible. How did I not know that? Anyway, the game is unremarkable in
that it has only the Guitar Hero II playlist (with some omissions and
minor licencing changes) and my guess is that it has a Chihiro board in
it, given Konami's good relationship with Microsoft. There's no reason why
Konami couldn't continue to produce these items, although my guess is that
they have enough penetration in the declining western arcade market to
sell DDR/Bemani machines instead if they prefer.

>Working (All weekend)

Xperia Phone - Maybe. I'm getting curious flashbacks to the N-gage here,
not because it's a phone but because the library seems to be made up of
old rehashes. That's not a bad thing in itself, but if you don't hook
buyers early with something new then you risk not winning anyone over.

>Brains (Mine are hurting)
>
>Activision - Are they seriously only a 1 game company now?

Thought we covered that already? Cabela, Dreamworks licences, the Bond
licence, TMS toys, Cepia toys, and Spiderman. None of those things matter
to us, but as long as they make money Activision can't be said to be
standing only on Call of Duty.

>Exports (Too much data !!)

Balance Forward - $317

Tomb Raider II (PSX) - $10
Ghost Squad (Wii) - $11
Advent Rising (Xbox) - $6

Total year-to-date - $344

-KKC, dodging Valentine's Day obligations with guile and cunning.
--
-- kendrick | "No one has gone in the developer's room for nearly
@ io.com | 20 years. So no one really knows what's going on in
| there. Sometimes they send out a finished game in
http://www.io.com/~kkc | exchange for food and water." - Alis, SegaGaga

[ste parker]

Feb 14, 2011, 4:07:53 AM2/14/11
On Feb 14, 7:28 am, "gospvg" <gospvgREMOV...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Words with Friends - I've noticed that it clears completed games now after 7
> days which is annoying because I can't remember the usernames of people I
> have played against.

Does it not have a friends list? That's a bit crap if so, Wordfeud
does but if WWF doesn't then I'll be less inclinded to switch to it
(should it ever get a release).

--
[ste]

Gunther Gloop

Feb 14, 2011, 4:29:00 AM2/14/11
On 14/02/11 08:11, HarpingOn wrote:
> Shatter (PS3)
>
> I find myself playing this again since its profile got raised by being
> free. I beat hurricane (I think) and I'm working on Gunthergloops score.
> Missed out last night because I was too tired.

Heh. I probably shouldn't say but I don't think I ever played a full
game on this. After buying, I played it and got bored mid-way and gave
up/ deliberately mis-played. It didn't seem to be posing a challenge or
something. TBH I forget my complaint, but the game never quite grabbed me.

That said, please beat my score and let me know so I can have something
to aim for. Maybe that's what was missing originally for me.

...Of course having said all that I might find it very difficult when I

-Kevin.

deKay

Feb 14, 2011, 4:45:05 AM2/14/11
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, gospvg wrote:

> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

USENET is no place for organised religion! ;)

Anyway, I played:

Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure (DS)
Wot is ace. I'm loving my DS recently. Probably as I know it'll never get
used once my 3DS (or both my 3DSeses :P) arrives. Anyway - the game! It's
a fun platformer with distracting match-3 puzzle intermissions. Or a fun
match-3 puzzle game with distracting platforming sections. Either way,
each style provides a minor irritation to the other. It is great though,
even if the bosses have $hlmunHP.

Also, how did people think this was like Professor Layton? Do they not
have eyes?!

Mario Kart Wii (um, Wii)
I was made to play this last night. My daughter, who was playing with her
Lego, suddenly decided I had to turn the Wii on and play Mario Kart. So I
did. Won a couple of 100cc bike-based cups.

Street Fighter IV (iPhone)
It's fun and great and all that, but the controls are awful. Simply
impossible to pull off a fireball.

> Disc Drvin - Won my first game in a while, perfect 10 second gameplay.

Played this too, but I'm still not liking it. Won't be playing any more
once I've finished the games I'm in at the moment.

> Working (All weekend)

I'd like a NINTENDO 3DS please.
Also, SKYRIM would be nice.
</caps like skidz>

> Brains (Mine are hurting)

Crows. If you've not heard, this happened last week:
http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2011/02/11/no-business-like-crow-business/
It's like an Edgar Allan Poe poem.

> Activision - Are they seriously only a 1 game company now?

No. Amongst others, they're doing NASCAR, games based on X-Men,
Transformers, Spiderman and Family Guy, new Crash Bandicoot and Spyro
games, a new Wipeout, Prototype 2 and a new James Bond game. And whatever
Bungie are working on (rumoured to be the new James Bond game though).

FWIW, the new Spyro game looks amazing, albeit aimed at 8 years olds
tired of Pokeymen. And I hated all the others.

> Exports (Too much data !!)

BBF: 24.98

Bought:
Peppa Pig: Polly Parrot (iPhone): 1.79
Super Street Fighter IV (iPhone): 59p

Total: 27.36

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

[ste parker]

Feb 14, 2011, 4:52:14 AM2/14/11
On Feb 14, 7:28 am, "gospvg" <gospvgREMOV...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (360): Career, online and a few
achievements. One or two online ones left to get, one of which I think
needs the top cop car so I need to plough through the career 'til
then. Still good fun online, progression seems a lot faster in the
racer rather than cop career though which is a bit annoying as I much
prefer the former.

SWOS (XBLA): Wanted a quick go on something late one night, wish I
could remember which teams I used to be good with. And what any of the
options and stuff meant, the ingame manual is rubbish for actually
finding the info you want.

Wordfeud (Android): Averaging my way along, just got thrashed by over
100 points by someone but generally it's closer than that and I've
usually been edging wins. With all the online solvers available
sometimes I do wonder if people are just filling out a board on
Scrabiluzer and letting it do the work for them though.

Nethack (Android): I seem to be having slightly more success as a
Ranger, but not much. Is it safe to assume that any corpse the pet
won't even pick up is poisoned? And then does that apply to every
corpse from that race, or is it just that individual?

> Working (All weekend)

To get rid of some 360 games, I'm buying nothing more 'til I've
totally done with NFS: HP, F1 2010, Forza 3, AC: B and Bayonetta I
think. I'll probably sell the wheel as well then, when's F1 2011 due?
For maximum sale inflation purposes.

> Brains (Mine are hurting)

The cop side of NFS: HP, it's actually fun enough in isolation but
leaderboard performace is just down to sheer luck really so that
aspect of the challenge is wasted on me. Saying that, I've got less
inclination to bother bumping myself up the friends list than I did in
general, more a case of gold then move on...

> Exports (Too much data !!)

Xbox 360 S 250GB - £160-ish (actually cheaper, just need to work out
the cashback and so on). 20% off at Tesco online at the moment.

--
[ste]

[ste parker]

Feb 14, 2011, 4:55:13 AM2/14/11
On Feb 14, 9:45 am, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk.invalid> wrote:

> > Activision - Are they seriously only a 1 game company now?
>
> No. Amongst others, they're doing NASCAR games based on X-Men,

> Transformers, Spiderman and Family Guy

I prefer how that lineup looks with a comma missing :-)

--
[ste]

MerseyMal

Feb 14, 2011, 5:09:42 AM2/14/11
In article <8rs3tk...@mid.individual.net>, gospvgR...@gmail.com
says...

> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

World Of Warcraft: Cataclysm (PC) - main character now level 64. Decided
to give him a rest this weekend and tried a couple of alts. Hunter and
Druids seem fun enough.

> Working (All weekend)

Dragon Age 2 (PC)
Crysis 2 (PC)
Diablo 3 (PC)
Deus Ex 3 (PC)
Mass Effect 3 (PC)

Money to pay for the all of the above.

> Brains (Mine are hurting)

Some arsehole at Crytek leaking a beta version of Crysis 2 for the PC and
the wankers who torrented it.

> Exports (Too much data !!)

ᅵ67.71 January
+
ᅵ11.85 Rayman Raving Rabbids Triple Pack (Wii)

--
XBLA/PSN/Steam/Raptr: merseymal
Byrodir the Human Champion of Moria Defenders (Snowbourn LOTRO EU)

SozzlyJoe

Feb 14, 2011, 5:18:53 AM2/14/11
On Feb 14, 9:29 am, Gunther Gloop <thunderb...@SPAMNOkevinforde.com>
wrote:

I have it too, and enjoyed my play through of it. It doesn't work so
well as a score-attack game though, the scoring mechanic is much too
reliant on luck, and is far too exponential. You will beat a previous
score by several million points, and not be quite sure how you did it
differently. Still, if there is a bit of a revival going on I may dust
it off for a blast!

Monkey_with_a_chainsaw

Feb 14, 2011, 5:39:22 AM2/14/11
On Feb 14, 7:28 am, "gospvg" <gospvgREMOV...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

Eternal Sonata (360)
Trying to get this finished before I start another game.
Played from chapter 2 until the Pirate boss in chapter 4. Who then
killed my team in a matter of seconds. I might have to do some
grinding before attempting the fight again.

> Working (All weekend)

More gaming time.

No new games until I've finished a few I already have.

> Brains (Mine are hurting)

That bit in JRPGs where they split into teams and you are forced to
play with the underpowered characters that you've been ignoring all
game, in a team dynamic that won't work with the tactics that you've
been using throughout the game so far.

--
Jon
GT: ThisIsACoolTag

deKay

Feb 14, 2011, 5:38:40 AM2/14/11
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, MerseyMal wrote:

> £11.85 Rayman Raving Rabbids Triple Pack (Wii)

You wuz robbed. It was 4.99 on Amazon last week!

hurricanepilot

Feb 14, 2011, 5:43:11 AM2/14/11
On Feb 14, 7:28 am, "gospvg" <gospvgREMOV...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

Test Drive Unlimited 2 (PS3) - It's fun, but I can see that fun
wearing thin already. The biggest problem it has is that the handling
is complete balls. It's a problem that I can ignore at the moment
because it's kind of fun just driving about the island finding new
shops and things to do. I'll unlock Oahu tonight I think, but unless
there's something game-changing about that, I can see this being
traded at the weekend.

DKCR (Wii) - Just a few levels of the 5th (or 6th, not sure) area.

> Working (All weekend)

Deathsmiles...Maybe.

> Brains (Mine are hurting)

Nothing I can think of right now.

gospvg

Feb 14, 2011, 5:50:53 AM2/14/11
"[ste parker]" <imag...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

No, it really needs a friend list like Carcassonne or ideally linked to
gamecenter

gospvg

Feb 14, 2011, 5:53:00 AM2/14/11
"deKay" <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk.invalid> wrote in message

>> Disc Drvin - Won my first game in a while, perfect 10 second gameplay.
>
> Played this too, but I'm still not liking it. Won't be playing any more
> once I've finished the games I'm in at the moment.

It's the perfect quick game, do your turn & move on. If I'm in the lead I
will always use the boost power up if not then I'll either try jumps or drop
bombs to annoy everyone else :)

Tim Miller

Feb 14, 2011, 6:05:55 AM2/14/11
"gospvg" <gospvgR...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

Phantasy Star Portable (PSP)
Yes, I didn't in fact play anything on my planned list, and instead just
played this. For it is amazing and brilliant and recalls the magic of
PSO. Yes, the story is a bit pants, and it would be horrendously
complicated if I didn't already know what monomates were, but I do so
it's fine.

> Working (All weekend)

Maybe Phantasy Star Portable 2, if the online works well. But I'll
continue with the first one for now. I don't suppose you can transfer
characters between the two, can you?

Pilotwings Resort. Oh yes.

> Brains (Mine are hurting)

Karoshi (iPhone)
A platform puzzle game in which the aim in each level is to die. I just
find it rather frustrating, so can't be bothered to play it any more.

> Exports (Too much data !!)

Brought forward: £41

£2 on Super Monkey Ball, Super Monkey Ball 2, and Karoshi

Tim (tm)

Tim Miller

Feb 14, 2011, 6:06:21 AM2/14/11
HarpingOn <Harp...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> flOw (PSP)
>
> WTF? That's the last time I buy something sight unseen without reading
> about it first, just because it's discounted.

I've not played flOw, but have you played Flower? One of my favourite
PS3 'games' - really well constructed and designed.

Tim (tm)

WCZ

Feb 14, 2011, 6:12:50 AM2/14/11

> Test Drive Unlimited 2 (PS3) - It's fun, but I can see that fun
> wearing thin already. The biggest problem it has is that the handling
> is complete balls. It's a problem that I can ignore at the moment
> because it's kind of fun just driving about the island finding new
> shops and things to do. I'll unlock Oahu tonight I think, but unless
> there's something game-changing about that, I can see this being
> traded at the weekend.

Have you changed the handling to 'sports' or whatever the extreme handling
mode is called? Eurogamer said it was shit on default.

--

WCZ

HarpingOn

Feb 14, 2011, 6:29:19 AM2/14/11

Yes. I like flower. I play it from time to time. I wish it worked with Move.

MerseyMal

Feb 14, 2011, 6:40:09 AM2/14/11
In article <alpine.OSX.2.00.1...@imac.dekay.sytes.net>,
an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk.invalid says...

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, MerseyMal wrote:
>
> > £11.85 Rayman Raving Rabbids Triple Pack (Wii)
>
> You wuz robbed. It was 4.99 on Amazon last week!
>
> deKay

boo. still 11.85 isn't too shabby to be honest

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Feb 14, 2011, 6:45:43 AM2/14/11
In article <1d381fa3-d2e2-428c...@x13g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,
[ste parker] <imag...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Which one? Either has already been done:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Spider-Man#Crossovers_2
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Wolverine_%28superhero%29#Crossovers_2

-KKC, who knows every kid born in 1972 or later had that same idea.

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Feb 14, 2011, 6:47:49 AM2/14/11
In article <829752644319368108.058946...@news.individual.net>,

Tim Miller <ne...@economic-truth.co.uk> wrote:
>"gospvg" <gospvgR...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)
>>
>Phantasy Star Portable (PSP)
<snip>

>> Working (All weekend)
>>
>Maybe Phantasy Star Portable 2, if the online works well. But I'll
>continue with the first one for now. I don't suppose you can transfer
>characters between the two, can you?

Sort of. You can transfer your character's name, identity, and appearance,
but none of your inventory or stats transfer due to the way the story
starts in the second game. You do get a bonus achievement for having
played the first game though, which gives you some extra gear. I'm happy
to spoil it further if you like. :)

-KKC, recovering from server outages.

deKay

Feb 14, 2011, 7:02:09 AM2/14/11
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:

>>> No. Amongst others, they're doing NASCAR games based on X-Men,
>>> Transformers, Spiderman and Family Guy
>>
>> I prefer how that lineup looks with a comma missing :-)
>
> Which one? Either has already been done:
>
> http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Spider-Man#Crossovers_2
> http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Wolverine_%28superhero%29#Crossovers_2

Which is the NASCAR/hero crossover?

deKay

Feb 14, 2011, 7:01:13 AM2/14/11
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, MerseyMal wrote:

>>> £11.85 Rayman Raving Rabbids Triple Pack (Wii)
>>
>> You wuz robbed. It was 4.99 on Amazon last week!
>

> boo. still 11.85 isn't too shabby to be honest

Well, it is a bit since only the first Rabbids game in that pack is any
good.

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Feb 14, 2011, 7:16:45 AM2/14/11
In article <alpine.OSX.2.00.1...@imac.dekay.sytes.net>,

deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk.invalid> wrote:

>>> I prefer how that lineup looks with a comma missing :-)
>>
>> Which one? Either has already been done:
>>
>> http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Spider-Man#Crossovers_2
>> http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Wolverine_%28superhero%29#Crossovers_2
>
>Which is the NASCAR/hero crossover?

Forgive me, I thought Ste wanted to remove another comma and I missed that
one was already omitted. I'll refrain from pointing you at nerdier links
whereby NASCAR and Transformers have been connected since 1992. :)

-KKC, who marks the tenth anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's passing.

Chris Whitworth

Feb 14, 2011, 7:44:12 AM2/14/11
On 2011-02-14, gospvg <gospvgR...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

Virtually nothing, as ever. Ennui seems to have set in in a fairly dramatic
way lately.

Magicka (PC) - Very nearly chucked my laptop out of the window because of
this. The level 3 battle is just bloody ridiculous. I don't know why I keep
playing it. It's weirdly compulsive, whilst at the same time being a bit
rubbish.

Clickr (PC) - Unlocked the score attack mode at the weekend. Spent about five
hours straight on Sunday evening playing it. My brain just doesn't work fast
enough. Good fun, though. It's got that Meteos-ish "You're supposed to play
it *how* fast?" thing about it.

> Working (All weekend)

3DS

> Brains (Mine are hurting)

Ennui. Pretty spectacular ennui.

> Exports (Too much data !!)

Nothing since last week, so holding steady at 15.98

(assuming we don't count pre-orders, right? Otherwise add the cost of a 3DS
and Street Fighter IV to that)

Chris

Hakk

Feb 14, 2011, 7:53:51 AM2/14/11
On 14/02/2011 07:28, gospvg wrote:
> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

Minecraft (PC) - Spent most of the time finishing a bridge that would
connect our collective mainland to some of the far reaching islands.
Thanks to Lufferov who then finished a train track to make travelling
there a doddle. He really is the dood when it comes to tracks.

Spent about 30 minutes crawling about in an even bigger cave than the
one he found, only for my controls to glitch and forward didn't
disengage which sent me into the dark, down a hole and into lava. I lost
everything :(

Fallout NV (360) - Blew some dust off my 360, and put this on for an
hour. I am now villified by the Caesars, which is nice, after shooting
about 20 of them while on a rescue mission.

Poker (RL) - After a drunken afternoon/evening in Newcastle, I found
myself in Aspers. After hitting a "one-outer" on the river, I picked up
a couple of hundred quid for my trouble. I wasn't an arse or anything
going for an inside straight, but my hand was behind until a miracle
happened. I made my excuses and left pretty soon after that!

Working:

Skyrim, and I think that is it. Where have all the exciting previews
gone? Or have I just lost interest?

Brains:

Overpriced tat for Valentines Day. Romance should not have a big
pricetag attached, but here we are again being led down the pointless
gift aisle.

Exports:
Nothing this week

Total £146.66

hurricanepilot

Feb 14, 2011, 8:10:26 AM2/14/11

Yep, done that, and I've tweaked the various options 8 ways from
sunday trying to find a collection of settings that feels okay.
Nothing so far has felt remotely good.

deKay

Feb 14, 2011, 8:08:39 AM2/14/11
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Chris Whitworth wrote:

> Nothing since last week, so holding steady at 15.98
>
> (assuming we don't count pre-orders, right? Otherwise add the cost of a 3DS
> and Street Fighter IV to that)

Hmm. I should really, in which case add, er, 441.95 to mine. Hmm.

jochta

Feb 14, 2011, 9:09:16 AM2/14/11
On 2011-02-14 07:28:39 +0000, gospvg said:

> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

Halo Reach (360) - Set up a network game for MightyMiniMan and 8 of his
friends, I made up the 9th for some of the time, three players per
screen. Very depressing getting absolutely trounced by a room full of
13/14 year olds. But the network play was ACE, all being in the same
room at the same time was excellent fun.

Cut the Rope (iOS) - Slowly worked my way through the earlier levels so
I could play the Valentine Box. I top the leadeboard on the Gift Box.
Not quite finished the Valentine Box yet, I find I can only stomach
about 3 or 4 levels in a sitting.

> Working (All weekend)

TDU2 (360) - When it's cheap.

> Brains (Mine are hurting)

Sunday weather that is crap followed by a glorious Monday.

Watching my children play LBP2. Makes my stomach knot and I have to
leave the room. Plus the fact that with chat restrictions on neither of
them (both on sub-accounts) could access any of the online features,
community levels etc. The 1st did not have this restriction. I had to
turn off chat restrictions which I might want on for some games so they
could get value from the game. Stupid decision.

> Exports (Too much data !!)

Nothing new since last time. Cheap year :)

--
John Talbot
XBL, PSN, Twitter, Everything : jochta

HarpingOn

Feb 14, 2011, 9:11:12 AM2/14/11
On 14/02/2011 14:09, jochta wrote:

>> Working (All weekend)
>
> TDU2 (360) - When it's cheap.

Perhaps it'll be fixed by then too.

John Dow

Feb 14, 2011, 9:21:19 AM2/14/11
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:05:55 +0000, Tim Miller wrote:
> Maybe Phantasy Star Portable 2, if the online works well. But I'll
> continue with the first one for now. I don't suppose you can transfer
> characters between the two, can you?

Dunno about transferring - I waited for 2 as the online mode was fixed.
It's a stunning little game though. I've dredged a stupid number of hours
out of it.

John Dow <j...@nelefa.org.invalid>
http://www.nelefa.org

FooAtari

Feb 14, 2011, 9:45:00 AM2/14/11
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 07:28:39 +0000, gospvg wrote:

> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

Not much, spent more time pricking about with DOSBox than actually
playing any games with it.

> Working (All weekend)

Nowt

> Brains (Mine are hurting)

Games with loads of bugs

> Exports (Too much data !!)

0, as usual

--
Organ and Blood Donation saves lives. Register Now
www.uktransplant.org www.scotblood.co.uk

MerseyMal

Feb 14, 2011, 11:54:00 AM2/14/11
In article <alpine.OSX.2.00.1...@imac.dekay.sytes.net>,
an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk.invalid says...

> >> You wuz robbed. It was 4.99 on Amazon last week!
> >
> > boo. still 11.85 isn't too shabby to be honest
>
> Well, it is a bit since only the first Rabbids game in that pack is any
> good.
>
> deKay

i'd have paid a tenner for the first one

GusTavToo

Feb 14, 2011, 12:49:42 PM2/14/11
"gospvg" <gospvgR...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

I was visiting a friend at the weekend and I got to try out:

Rockband 3 (360)

I was surprised how well I coped with the introduction of the Orange
notes to Medium. I can see why they wanted to bridge the step change to
Hard that I had baulked at.

Borderlands (360)

Trying it the other character types to farm some achievements. It does
play quite differently with the different skill and weapon options.
Hoping to get back to the DLC runs soon.

Dragon Age: Origins (360)

Need to go back to an earlier save and get this moving again. Hitting an
impasse with my party build put me back a bit.

> Working (All weekend)

Nothing much on the horizon at the moment. I should probably practice
some Rockband before my party if I am not to embarrass myself.

> Brains (Mine are hurting)

Well I have finished all the Mass Effect 2 DLC and I don't think there
is any more in the pipeline; so I'm pretty much done with that.

> Exports (Too much data !!)

Nothing for Feb as yet.

Gus.
--
GT: GusTavToo / PSN: GusWho - Sent from a micro iPad

deKay

Feb 14, 2011, 12:55:17 PM2/14/11
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, MerseyMal wrote:

> i'd have paid a tenner for the first one

So would I, but I'd prefer the quid it was in Poundland :)

Tim Miller

Feb 14, 2011, 2:45:08 PM2/14/11
Nah, TV Party is excellent as a party game. Especially with the balance
board added.

Tim (tm)

Tim Miller

Feb 14, 2011, 2:45:09 PM2/14/11
HarpingOn <Harp...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Yes. I like flower. I play it from time to time. I wish it worked with
> Move.

I thought it had been patched to work with Move? It was certainly on the
cards at one time.

Tim (tm)

Tim Miller

Feb 14, 2011, 2:45:09 PM2/14/11
Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kend...@nospam.io> wrote:
> Sort of. You can transfer your character's name, identity, and
> appearance,
> but none of your inventory or stats transfer due to the way the story
> starts in the second game. You do get a bonus achievement for having
> played the first game though, which gives you some extra gear. I'm
> happy
> to spoil it further if you like. :)

Good good. I'll move to the second game sooner, I suspect, if grinding
in the first doesn't help!

Tim (tm)

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Feb 14, 2011, 3:02:31 PM2/14/11
In article <2049369024319404734.35207...@news.individual.net>,

Once you get past level 30 in the first game, the difficulty drops off
dramatically. One of the major complaints from Japanese gamers was that
the first Phantasy Star Portable ended up being too easy overall.
Bizarrely, for the western release they toned down the challenge even
further. The second game is much harder by an order of magnitude thanks to
the new moves that the boss monsters know, but defeating them is all the
more satisfying as a result.

If the story interests you at all, you should stick it through to the end
of the first game and then start the second. A lot of the NPCs go through
some interesting transformations during the events in between the two
games.

-KKC, who can't go ten feet in his workplace today without encountering
some sort of chocolate.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Feb 14, 2011, 3:13:31 PM2/14/11
<gospvgR...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

Hah - me too. It didn't.

>I've not touch my 360 or PS3 in over a week now :(
>So I've just been playing on my ipod touch

Hah - almost me too! I've been playing on my iPhone while off in the
Alps, between discovering I can board rather competently. Also the DS,
a bit.

Boggle (iThings) - My current favourite three minute game.

Bit.Trip Beat (iThings) - Higher res than the Wii version! Zingy
pingy!

Ghost Trick (DS) - This is a bit good. Picked it up in the airport on
the way out, and I've got to 10:55pm so far. It never overwhelms you
with options, though sometimes there are hidden-in-plain-sight moving
objects that I miss!

Shibuya (iThings) - Still haven't cracked 2000 in quickplay.

>Working (All weekend)

Indeed. Less of this sort of thing.

Can't think what's due out soon... Okamiden?

>Exports (Too much data !!)

Was £46.39

Super Monkey Ball 2 (iThing) - 0.59p
Dead Space (iThing) - 1.79
Phantasy Star II (iThing) - 0.59
Ghost Trick- £29.99 (ouch! I forget about real prices)

Now £79.35

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"We have to go forth and crush every world view that doesn't
believe in tolerance and free speech." - David Brin

William McNee

Feb 14, 2011, 3:49:53 PM2/14/11
On 14/02/2011 9:45 AM, deKay wrote:
> Crows. If you've not heard, this happened last week:
> http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2011/02/11/no-business-like-crow-business/
> It's like an Edgar Allan Poe poem.

Umm...had a similar experience yesterday. A few weeks ago we had a rat
prowling around in the garden and it seemed it was making its home
underneath the shed. So we called out the council's pest controller. he
had a look round and put some bait down and he came back to check it
every week.
Now, we hadn't seen the rat for a while and the council man said the
bait had been touched, so we just assumed the rat had died of poisoning.
So, after a few more weeks of not seeing the rat, he came and took the
bait away.
Now, I've been busy doing some painting around the house (bathroom,
living room, kitchen) so went out to the shed yesterday to get some dust
sheets, as I was painting the living room ceiling. It's a big ceiling,
and as I was going to be using a long handled roller, the sheets were to
protect the furniture etc from paint splashes. So, I duly lifted the
plastic bag which was full of sheets out of the corner of the shed and
was about to take it into the house when something fell out of a hole in
the bag.
It was a dead rat! Holy s**t! Just as well it fell outside and not in
the house. It must have been dead for weeks as it was smelling a bit and
was covered in fungus. I can only hope it was our absent visitor and
apparently it was using the sheets to make a nice house for itself, as
there were bits of chewed material in the bottom of the bag as well as
the shed floor.
So all the sheets and the rat went quickly in the bin.
Looks like a new shed might be in order too as it looks like it might
have a hole in the floor somewhere, either rotten or made by our
deceased lodger...:(

Play:

The 'Painting various rooms in the house' game.
Duly completed it today and glad to see the back of it. Not one of the
better games I've competed in. Won't be playing anything like this again
for quite a while...

Supreme Commander:Forged Alliance (PC)

Yup, nice sense of scale. Love these strategy games where you can zoom
right out and get a top-down view of the battlefield. And with hundreds
of troops on each side it makes for some epic battles. Although this
means that some of the campaign missions can go on for hours.

Phoenix Wright (iPhone)

Heard about these titles on the DS but didn't quite know how they
worked. So, thought I'd pick this up for only 59p to try it.
Yes, interesting idea for a game. On my 4th case now and gathering some
clues. Getting into how it works now. Gives the brain a good workout.

Risk (iPhone)

Had a tutorial battle today to test it out. Yes, don't quite understand
how some of it works but I'm getting there. Took over South America
before blue managed to take it back with their nukes (bugger).

Sword & Poker (iPhone)

Now this is a rather nice little game. Got past the first boss at lvl 5
without too much problem, even though I only have a basic understanding
of poker. Just as well I wasn't there at the meet to take part or I
would have been trounced...;)

Want:

Paint to go where you want it and not to go through tiny holes in dust
sheets/newspapers onto carpets etc...

Bin:

Definitely a dead rat and some sheets it was using as a bed...Eeewww...:/
Not that I'm squeamish or anything but it wasn't a nice sight to behold
or smell...eeewww...XO

--
Words with Friends/Chess with Friends/Naked War username: HaggisHunter

Using an Intel i7 PC with 2xGT280 gfx cards, 30" Samsung monitor, 6GB of
memory and Windows 7 64-bit

Toby Newman

Feb 14, 2011, 3:55:57 PM2/14/11
On 2011-02-14, gospvg <gospvgR...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

Afterburner Climax (360)
I actually played some myself, not just set it up for my boy. It is
very addictive, you unlock stuff all the time and it's fun to try out,
but I am still rolling ALL THE TIME.

Raving Rabbids 2 (Wii)
It is quite fun when you get into it.

Excite Truck (Wii)
Just a short go, but I forgot how fun it was.

> Working (All weekend)

Duke Nukem Forever
Deus Ex 3
A pair of new matched monitors that are flat but also high quality.
And not stupid money.
Any recommendations?

> Brains (Mine are hurting)
A long day. I'm knackered and am getting off the computer now!

--
-Toby

Tony

Feb 14, 2011, 6:10:11 PM2/14/11
In uk.games.video.misc, "gospvg" <gospvgR...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Playing

Borderlands (360) - half-way through the main quest on playthrough 2.0,
completed the zombie and clap trap DLC's, get murdered every time I try and
do Knox. Hate the cars, hate the bloody armoured guys. Hate hate hate.
So, I'm continuing on the main quest until I'm well above the recommended
level for Knox :p
--
Tony Evans [PSN: perception101] [XBL: EightBitTony]
Saving trees and wasting electrons since 1993

Tim Miller

Feb 15, 2011, 3:21:38 AM2/15/11
Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kend...@nospam.io> wrote:
> Once you get past level 30 in the first game, the difficulty drops off
>
> dramatically. One of the major complaints from Japanese gamers was
> that
> the first Phantasy Star Portable ended up being too easy overall.

Excellent. I like games I can complete. The first big boss character
(the dragon - not really a spoiler I suppose given its appearance in
various Phantasy Star games since Online) caused my character a little
trouble - one scape doll down - but that's probably largely because I
can't work out how to aim in first-person while avoiding his attacks.
Is there an easy way?

> If the story interests you at all, you should stick it through to the
> end
> of the first game and then start the second. A lot of the NPCs go
> through
> some interesting transformations during the events in between the two
> games.

If it's easy to complete, I'll do so. But I may well buy the second now
before the only option is a copy in hideous orange packaging.

Tim (tm)

SozzlyJoe

Feb 15, 2011, 4:39:54 AM2/15/11
On Feb 14, 7:45 pm, Tim Miller <n...@economic-truth.co.uk> wrote:

No, it never was. But, as the best (only?) game to ever work properly
with the Sixaxis motion controls it is unnecessary to patch it to work
with different motion controls I would have thought ;-)

Zomoniac

Feb 16, 2011, 4:43:40 AM2/16/11
Sorry I'm late.

> Praying (Everything goes well at work today)

Moving. I don't like moving. Four days of 14+ hours of breaking my body
in half. What joy

Setting GT5 to B-Spec occasionally was the limit of my gaming.

> Working (All weekend)

The usual.

> Brains (Mine are hurting)

Moving.

Killzone 3D (PS3)
Any reason it appears to be running at a sub-VGA resolution?

> Exports (Too much data !!)

Too many data. /pedant

Jan: £34.99
Feb: -£119.30

PlayStation Plus subscription: £34.85
Chu Chu Rocket (iPhone): £0.59
Phoenix Wright (iPhone): £0.59

w/e 13/02: £36.03

2011 total: -£48.28

--

Zo

Trooper

Feb 16, 2011, 5:45:47 AM2/16/11
Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Any reason it appears to be running at a sub-VGA resolution?
>
> > Exports (Too much data !!)
>
> Too many data. /pedant

That is so wrong, I don't know where to start!

T.

Zomoniac

Feb 16, 2011, 5:48:08 AM2/16/11

At the very beginning?

--

Zo

Trooper

Feb 16, 2011, 5:51:57 AM2/16/11
Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

A very good place to start.

T.

[ste parker]

Feb 16, 2011, 5:52:15 AM2/16/11
On Feb 16, 10:45 am, use...@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (Trooper)
wrote:

Yeah, it should be "too more datas", obviously.

--
[ste]

Zomoniac

Feb 16, 2011, 5:53:21 AM2/16/11
On 16/02/2011 10:51, Trooper wrote:
> Zomoniac<the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> That is so wrong, I don't know where to start!
>>
>> At the very beginning?
>
> A very good place to start.

It is. So start there and tell me what's wrong with my statement.

--

Zo

[ste parker]

Feb 16, 2011, 5:54:49 AM2/16/11
On Feb 16, 9:43 am, Zomoniac <the_proper_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry I'm late.
>
> > Praying (Everything goes well at work today)
>
> Moving. I don't like moving. Four days of 14+ hours of breaking my body
> in half. What joy

4 days?! I thought you were moving about 6 feet away from your current
abode?

--
[ste]

Toby Newman

Feb 16, 2011, 5:56:36 AM2/16/11

Fragment (consider revising)

Trooper

Feb 16, 2011, 5:59:13 AM2/16/11
Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Because the plural of data is data, the possessive of data is data, the
singular of data is data, data is always just data, what is the singular
you are trying to pluralise?

T.

Zomoniac

Feb 16, 2011, 5:59:16 AM2/16/11

I was. No idea how it took that long. Probably should've started packing
earlier. I have a LOT of shite. Started packing at 8am on Friday,
finished the clean and returned the keys at 1pm on Monday, working
solidly throughout. It hurt.

On the upside it's given me chance for a bit of a cutback. My
game/dvd/etc collection has gone from taking up four shelving units to
half a shelving unit and I have about 15 boxes labelled 'to sell'.

--

Zo

Zomoniac

Feb 16, 2011, 5:59:58 AM2/16/11

Datum. Data isn't a singular.

--

Zo

Trooper

Feb 16, 2011, 6:06:14 AM2/16/11
Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

In orginal latin sure, in the usage that every single person in the
world now uses, data is a mass noun.

T.

Zomoniac

Feb 16, 2011, 6:08:32 AM2/16/11

That using it incorrectly has come to be accepted as normal does not
make it correct. So ner :op

--

Zo

Zomoniac

Feb 16, 2011, 6:10:48 AM2/16/11

The Office of National Statistics states in its guidelines for writing
official statistics:
"The word data is a plural noun so write "data are". Datum is the singular."

--

Zo

Trooper

Feb 16, 2011, 6:12:34 AM2/16/11
Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Pish, I talk about data a lot in my job, i've never heard any use it as
a singular :D

T.

Gunther Gloop

Feb 16, 2011, 6:48:09 AM2/16/11

This is a case of academics firmly hanging onto its long-held l33t-sp33k
in the face of a tsunami of popular usage. Obviously the nat-stat site
states how they've been using it for a hundred years. The fact that
"data" has since become an everyday use by everyday people, who use it
in everyday speech would both annoy them and cause them a kind of fear.
They no longer hold exclusive rights to such a word.

Feed em fish I say and use it how everybody uses it. That's how words
evolve. Always. It's not "wrong", just populist. And when everyone does
something the wrong way then it automatically becomes the right way
because who can say the old right way is the right way?

...This applies to everything, including everything I fervently believe
the popular view on is wrong (which usually means most things... which
makes me wrong most of the time.)

-Kevin.

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Feb 16, 2011, 6:56:17 AM2/16/11
In article <4d5bb978$0$27942$c3e8da3$33a0...@news.astraweb.com>,

Gunther Gloop <thund...@SPAMNOkevinforde.com> wrote:
>On 16/02/2011 11:12, Trooper wrote:
>> Zomoniac<the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> That using it incorrectly has come to be accepted as normal does not
>>> make it correct. So ner :op
>>
>> Pish, I talk about data a lot in my job, i've never heard any use it as
>> a singular :D

Nobody disputes that 'data' is plural. However, can it also be used as a
descriptor of an infinitely divisible unit of measure? You wouldn't say
'too many sugar' instead of 'too much sugar', even though it's understood
that the grains (or tablespoons or cups) of sugar are plural. Given that
'data' is not constrained to be described with or without units of
measure, it seems that both uses are correct for that specific word. 'Too
many maths' and 'too much maths' would be a comparable usage.

>This is a case of academics firmly hanging onto its long-held l33t-sp33k
>in the face of a tsunami of popular usage. Obviously the nat-stat site
>states how they've been using it for a hundred years. The fact that
>"data" has since become an everyday use by everyday people, who use it
>in everyday speech would both annoy them and cause them a kind of fear.
>They no longer hold exclusive rights to such a word.

I just wanted to take an opportunity to observe that this misuse has
advantages. When a particular Star Trek character travelled back in time
and was forced by circumstances to impersonate a Frenchman, correct usage
of the singular would not have allowed him to adopt the name d'Etats. :)

-KKC, who will geek you under the table.

Zomoniac

Feb 16, 2011, 7:10:32 AM2/16/11

On that note, I've often wondered where the Yank abbreviation 'math'
comes from. Surely as an abbrevation of 'mathematics', a plural, the
abbreviation itself must be pluralised? 'Math' doesn't seem to make any
logical sense. Do explain.

--

Zo

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Feb 16, 2011, 7:20:07 AM2/16/11
In article <8s1t5p...@mid.individual.net>,

I think I attempted this once before, so forgive me if I end up repeating
myself. :) In the old world, it's understood that the term 'mathematics'
is descriptive of a number of different disciplines, each of which may be
only tertially related to another. To that end, a man well-versed in
artillery ballistics may have nothing useful to say about Euclidian
geometry. In Europe and Asia it's understood that maths are broad and
diverse.

By comparison, here in the rebellious Americas there's a strong current of
anti-intellectualism. Like all countries built on revolution, the United
States is collectively suspicious of established truth and order. Why, we
ask ourselves, is it so just because someone else says it's so? That's a
great attitude for building mechanisms of government, but not so much for
promoting academics. But in this anti-intellectualism one finds a tendency
to consolidate mathematical disciplines down to a single, simplified
category. To Americans, there are not many maths but just one math, which
is largely intimidating and impenetrable. It's the reason that a talented
Ameican engineer might have no problem purchasing a lottery ticket.
Kaballah and numerology are also stupidly popular in the States.

So. Games, wot?

-KKC, who now plays the Star Wars pants game, except with the word 'maths'.