Planned gaming this weekend

Tim Miller

Jul 9, 2004, 9:55:40 AM7/9/04
It's sort of a "play, want, bin", but without the wanting and binning, and
set in the future.

So, what are you planning to play this weekend?

PGR2 (Xbox)
A late contender, but I've got the Long Beach pack to explore.

Populous: the Beginning (PC)
On Wednesday night I got past a world I've been stuck on for years. More to
explore now, then!

In Memoriam (PC)
I must continue to play this before I forget where I was.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (Gamecube)
Just starting it.

Tim (tm)
--
tim at economic-truth.co.uk Xbox Live gamertag: Xexyz
http://www.economic-truth.co.uk - the students' economics resource

John Parkinson

Jul 9, 2004, 10:07:42 AM7/9/04
Tim Miller wrote:
> It's sort of a "play, want, bin", but without the wanting and binning, and
> set in the future.
>
> So, what are you planning to play this weekend?

Getting a Tesco delivery (RL)
- This evening, will the man in a Tesco van make it to the house
within the delivery slot requested? Will the inept minimum wage packer
have managed to read a list and put the right stuff in the bags
labelled for my house or will it just be random?
All the fun of shopping without the carrying, coming to my house this
evening!

City of Heroes (PC)
- All sunday. Muhahahah. Possibly a ugv* taskforce if we manage to be
organised.

--
John Parkinson

spammy

Jul 9, 2004, 10:08:08 AM7/9/04
"Tim Miller" <ne...@economic-truth.co.uk> wrote in message

> It's sort of a "play, want, bin", but without the wanting and binning, and
> set in the future.
>
> So, what are you planning to play this weekend?

my play of ninja gaiden has stagnated since the two RSC2 seasons started, so
hopefully ill be able to spend a bit of time on that.

otherwise itll be rounds four and five of the team season. not really much
else....

--
GamerTag: spams
Go Munkie. Yep.

Trooper

Jul 9, 2004, 10:13:12 AM7/9/04
In article <tnk2s1-...@dekay.dynu.com>, ne...@economic-truth.co.uk
says...

> It's sort of a "play, want, bin", but without the wanting and binning, and
> set in the future.
>
> So, what are you planning to play this weekend?

I'll download the PGR2 pack at some point and give that a go.

A couple more attempts at Richard Burns before I give up in disgust.

The "finding out why my golf is overheating and changing the brake
pads" game.

The rest of my gaming time will be taken up with that online game we
are not allowed to mention...

--
Trooper
use...@SPAMTRAPtrooperlooper.co.uk (remove the obvious)

David Beamish

Jul 9, 2004, 10:19:04 AM7/9/04
All right stop, Collaborate and listen, Tim Miller is back with the
brand new invention

> It's sort of a "play, want, bin", but without the wanting and binning,
> and set in the future.
>
> So, what are you planning to play this weekend?
>
> PGR2 (Xbox)
> A late contender, but I've got the Long Beach pack to explore.

hmm i prob wont get this.. at least not for a while. I aint completed the
normal game yet.

I will play RSC2 Team Season. And maybe a bit of PDO.

I wil lwatch Bubba Ho Tep on dvd and eat curry.

Azzuri

Jul 9, 2004, 10:21:33 AM7/9/04

> It's sort of a "play, want, bin", but without the wanting and binning, and
> set in the future.
>
> So, what are you planning to play this weekend?

City of Heroes (PC) - level 14 here I come! Started it last sunday, Its
pretty good from what I've seen so far but it would be nice if you could
re-assign powers as im sure ive made some bad choices.

Star Wars Galaxies (PC) - After waiting a month since my 14 day trial
expired I've finally managed to get a valid cd-key from them after 3 copies
i bought in the uk were all duff I can finally play it again.

Spiderman 2 (Xbox) - Very impressed with it so far, still on the first
mission but I Love how you can just randomly swing around the city and
passers by will call for help and you go and give the bad guys a good
beating.

PGR2 (Xbox) - If only to try out the new cars/tracks

Full Specturm Warrior (XB), Ninja Gaiden (XB) and UT2004 (PC) Will also get
some playtime this weekend (can you tell i don't do much at the weekends?)

The Rev

Jul 9, 2004, 10:23:14 AM7/9/04
Watching over us from Center Neptune, 7-"Tim Miller"-7 wrote...

> So, what are you planning to play this weekend?

DEFINITE

Painkiller (PC) - It rocks the house, or whatever's a good thing to rock
these days. I'm at the first boss now, though, and if he's too annoying
then my love for the game may quickly die. All out action. Well, one
puzzle so far, but that's it. And it has been quite incredibly brown so
far, yes. Still, lovely control and physics and monsters and the best set
of weapons since Doom.

Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC) - Not online, I'm not suicidal. Instant
Action all the way. Though I may try the main single player mode at some
point.

City of Heroes (PC) - On Sunday, probably not before.

Rallisport Challenge 2 (Xbox) - I'll have a team event to do, I think.

Various Roguelikes (PC/Palm) - CalcRogue has displaced iRogue on my Palm.
I'm trying different ones on the PC, but keep going back to ZangbandTK.
Tried Ivan earlier. My puppy got killed by a zombie, so I killed a zombie
and ate both corpses. And then got killed by a hedgehog. Weird old games.

POSSIBLE

Far Cry (PC) - Might dip into it.

Operation Flashpoint / Medieval: Total War / No One Lives Forever 2 (PC)
- New cheap PC games I've got but not installed.

Spider-man 2 (Xbox) - If I buy it, which I probably won't.

PGR 2 (Xbox) - Might check out the new update.

Tim Miller

Jul 9, 2004, 10:24:53 AM7/9/04
David Beamish wrote:

>> PGR2 (Xbox)
>> A late contender, but I've got the Long Beach pack to explore.
>
> hmm i prob wont get this.. at least not for a while. I aint completed
> the normal game yet.

I'm stuck on the penultimate class - I can't even do the first course on
silver. Gah.

spammy

Jul 9, 2004, 10:32:37 AM7/9/04
"David Beamish" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> I wil lwatch Bubba Ho Tep on dvd and eat curry.

ah! lots of film out this weekend, so ill prolly also be watching two or
more of around the world, fahrenheit and godsend.

Nathan

Jul 9, 2004, 10:39:50 AM7/9/04
Tim Miller's here and we're in effect, want you to push it back...

> So, what are you planning to play this weekend?

If there's a team thing on then Rallisport Challenge 2

I must play some more Final Fantasy X2 as I've been getting into it, but
left it a bit so I need to get back into it before I, similar to you and In
Memoriam, forget what I was doing.

I have finished teh Xenosaga!!! So none of that now. So I might, just
might, start Disgaea. But I might not.

I will probably play a bit of Longest Journey.

I want to finish Ace Combat. I think I must be on the last mission now but
with the nature of the game I might end up starting it up again, straight
away.

I hope and hope that this weekend I'll be playing Donkey Konga Hit Song
Parade, but that's all on whether the postie will deliver it tomorrow or
now :(

--
Nathan.
Bow to the Cow!

Stewart Smith

Jul 9, 2004, 10:51:58 AM7/9/04
David Beamish wrote:

> I wil lwatch Bubba Ho Tep on dvd and eat curry.

Ah! Where did get it? As it looks unlikely to get a cinema release round these
parts I might as well buy the DVD. Looked at PlayUSA already but it would be
nice to avoid the inevitable customs and Royal Mail rip-off.

Stewart
--
You are about to enter... The Scary Door...

The Rev

Jul 9, 2004, 10:55:06 AM7/9/04
Watching over us from Center Neptune, 7-"Stewart Smith"-7 wrote...

> Ah! Where did get it? As it looks unlikely to get a cinema release
> round these parts I might as well buy the DVD. Looked at PlayUSA
> already but it would be nice to avoid the inevitable customs and Royal
> Mail rip-off.

It's under eighteen quid, though, or was last time I checked, so you won't
get charged.

Stewart Smith

Jul 9, 2004, 10:58:28 AM7/9/04

I thought people had started to get charged for everything now? Anyway it seems
cheap at dvdbo, lets hope it's in stock some time this century...

The Rev

Jul 9, 2004, 11:01:18 AM7/9/04
Watching over us from Center Neptune, 7-"Stewart Smith"-7 wrote...

> The Rev wrote:
>> Watching over us from Center Neptune, 7-"Stewart Smith"-7 wrote...
>>

>> It's under eighteen quid, though, or was last time I checked, so you
>> won't get charged.
>
> I thought people had started to get charged for everything now?
> Anyway it seems cheap at dvdbo, lets hope it's in stock some time this
> century...

Only deKay, and I hope to God he didn't pay it.

James Sutherland

Jul 9, 2004, 11:11:16 AM7/9/04
Stewart Smith <nos...@ee.ed.ac.uk> wrote in

> I thought people had started to get charged for everything now?
> Anyway it seems cheap at dvdbo, lets hope it's in stock some time this
> century...

DV-Depot - http://www.dv-depot.com/ - have it in stock for around 12 quid,
and I've never been charged customs with them. Brilliant company - their
DHL shipping is great (though it's better to order two or three disks at a
time as it costs a few quid).

Steve Thomas

Jul 9, 2004, 11:13:07 AM7/9/04
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 at 14:55:40 Tim Miller wrote:

>It's sort of a "play, want, bin", but without the wanting and binning, and
>set in the future.
>
>So, what are you planning to play this weekend?

Uru Complete Chronicles (out today). It'll probably keep me busy for a
few weekends, actually.
--
Steve Thomas It's like deja vu all over again.

Nils Tanner

Jul 9, 2004, 11:14:59 AM7/9/04
Why is a mushroom called mushroom? As usual, "Tim Miller"
<ne...@economic-truth.co.uk> got it all completely wrong and wrote:

We're off to visit some friends again, the gamecube is coming with us.
While we're there we usually don't do anything apart from playing
games, watching movies (not as much though) and drinking beer.
So, they've asked me to bring Singstar along. That's a given.
Mario Party 5 will definitely be played, maybe also MP4.
Super Smash Bros and Super Monkey Ball might be played.
Mario Kart Double Dash could also be played quite a lot, we've already
unlocked everything but we deleted the file so that we can go through
all of it again.
Apart from that, maybe some Tekken or so...we shall see...I'm off in
about half an hour, hooray!

Ben Ashmead

Jul 9, 2004, 11:15:04 AM7/9/04

"The Rev" <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Watching over us from Center Neptune, 7-"Tim Miller"-7 wrote...
>
> > So, what are you planning to play this weekend?
> Various Roguelikes (PC/Palm) - CalcRogue has displaced iRogue on my Palm.
> I'm trying different ones on the PC, but keep going back to ZangbandTK.
> Tried Ivan earlier. My puppy got killed by a zombie, so I killed a zombie
> and ate both corpses. And then got killed by a hedgehog. Weird old games.

IVAN is crazy, and I don't pretend to understand it. It's missing some vital
elements though, you can't rest for more than one turn without holding the
'.' button down (which is a Bad Thing, and why I always turn rest_on_space
off in Nethack), and all the colours are funky and/or barely visible on my
monitor :(

However, it has;
a) Fully dismemberable (that probably isn't a word, but should be) limbs
which can be hacked off in combat, which is obviously great.
b) A separate HP meter for your groin. Hoorah!

Cheers,

Ben

Kramer

Jul 9, 2004, 11:16:20 AM7/9/04
Steve Thomas wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 at 14:55:40 Tim Miller wrote:
>
>> It's sort of a "play, want, bin", but without the wanting and
>> binning, and set in the future.
>>
>> So, what are you planning to play this weekend?

Mashed (Xbox): Multiplayer - should be a riot.

Singstar (PS2): Always a riot.

Pool Paradise (GC): Haven't played this for a while.

Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox): Check out some Live Authentic action.

K.

David Beamish

Jul 9, 2004, 11:21:29 AM7/9/04
All right stop, Collaborate and listen, Stewart Smith is back with the
brand new invention

> Ah! Where did get it? As it looks unlikely to get a cinema release
> round these parts I might as well buy the DVD. Looked at PlayUSA
> already but it would be nice to avoid the inevitable customs and Royal
> Mail rip-off.
>
> Stewart

dvdsoon.com

however i ordered it on the 26th may and it didnt ship for over a month. I
dont think they expected it to be so popular and they have no stock..

no tax.. tis under a tenner iirc..

James Sutherland

Jul 9, 2004, 11:25:08 AM7/9/04
Steve Thomas <newsB...@tarsins.co.uk> wrote in

> Uru Complete Chronicles (out today). It'll probably keep me busy for a
> few weekends, actually.

I really must finish Uru. Once I got past the awful controls, it was
pretty good.

Looking forward to Myst 4. Looks really nice from the screenshots.

Tom Walsh

Jul 9, 2004, 11:23:58 AM7/9/04
Kramer writes:

> Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox): Check out some Live Authentic action.

I had a dream last night that I was playing FSW, which was kind of
odd as I haven't actually played it. However, it seemed pretty good
so I'm thinking of buying it.

Otherwise I'm stuck trying to beat the Ubersoldat in RTCW. Vorsprung
durch technik my arse.

Tom

Chris Whitworth

Jul 9, 2004, 12:32:05 PM7/9/04
100% "Tim Miller" <ne...@economic-truth.co.uk>!

> It's sort of a "play, want, bin", but without the wanting and binning,
> and set in the future.
>
> So, what are you planning to play this weekend?

Meeting lots of people I don't know off the internet down in London village
and drinking beer and eating food with them (RL) - Hurrah!

Getting lost in London village (RL) - Probably.

Singstar - Assuming my throat sorts itself out.

Chris
--
Chris Whitworth | GT/AC Name: parm
http://home.parm.net | AC Town: Markham

Dr. Boggis

Jul 9, 2004, 1:34:52 PM7/9/04
In article <tnk2s1-...@dekay.dynu.com>,
"Tim Miller" <ne...@economic-truth.co.uk> wrote:

> It's sort of a "play, want, bin", but without the wanting and binning, and
> set in the future.
>
> So, what are you planning to play this weekend?

Going to the baseball tonight, if that counts. Padres vs Rockies at Petco Park.
Hoping for a good game, maybe even catch a foul ball if we're lucky, since we'll
be in good seats for a change!

As for videogames, hopefully I'll have a chance to play:

Advance Wars 2: only 1 War Room map to clear, but I can hardly get started on it
before I'm overwhelmed. Fittingly it's called "Last Mission", against Andy and
Nell. I've just looked at a gamefaq which says all I have to do is pick my
moment and go and capture Nell's HQ with a transport copter and
infantry....we'll see how easy that is.

All Star Baseball 2005 (PS2): bought this for $25 last weekend, because it has
online functions and now we've got DSL I can actually play online properly.
Haven't managed to have a game yet, so we'll see if I can suss it out.

MSR (DC): if the wife is watching tat in the lounge, I might play this in the
bedroom. Haven't turned a wheel yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

1 game on each console is about the best I can hope for. We'll see!

--
-Take out Ron to reply-
Votre mčre était un hamster et votre pčre a senti des baies de sureau

Kramer

Jul 9, 2004, 1:46:50 PM7/9/04
Dr. Boggis wrote:
> Going to the baseball tonight, if that counts. Padres vs Rockies at
> Petco Park. Hoping for a good game, maybe even catch a foul ball if
> we're lucky, since we'll be in good seats for a change!

LET THE KID HAVE IT!!

If it's a 50/50 with a young child, you will let them have it, won't you?

I saw some numbskull wrestling a youngster to the floor, then not handing
the ball over - when the whole stadium was pressurising him to give it up.

There's nothing like ruining a reputation over a small round ball.

K.

Dr. Boggis

Jul 9, 2004, 2:11:57 PM7/9/04
In article <2l8402F...@uni-berlin.de>, "Kramer" <kra...@cwcom.net> wrote:

> Dr. Boggis wrote:
> > Going to the baseball tonight, if that counts. Padres vs Rockies at
> > Petco Park. Hoping for a good game, maybe even catch a foul ball if
> > we're lucky, since we'll be in good seats for a change!
>
> LET THE KID HAVE IT!!
>
> If it's a 50/50 with a young child, you will let them have it, won't you?

I'll give them a clip round the ear, if that's what you mean ;-)

> I saw some numbskull wrestling a youngster to the floor, then not handing
> the ball over - when the whole stadium was pressurising him to give it up.
>
> There's nothing like ruining a reputation over a small round ball.

Yep, that was funny. The kid and his family were on telly for a week, and the
kid got given TONS of stuff by various baseball teams/players etc. The guy who
trampled him to get the ball basically went into hiding, but now he's said he'll
give the ball back.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/0617foulball0617.html

DBSnappa

Jul 9, 2004, 2:21:16 PM7/9/04
"Tim Miller" <ne...@economic-truth.co.uk> scribbled:

> David Beamish wrote:
>>>
>>> PGR2 (Xbox)
>>> A late contender, but I've got the Long Beach pack to explore.
>>
>> hmm i prob wont get this.. at least not for a while. I aint completed
>> the normal game yet.
>>
> I'm stuck on the penultimate class - I can't even do the first course on
> silver. Gah.

What is that class and what car are you driving?

--
DBSnappa

ICQ 109045511
GamerTag DBSnappa

No god is a philosopher or seeker of wisdom, for he is wise already. Neither
do the ignorant seek after wisdom. For herein lies the evil of ignorance;
that he who is neither good nor wise is nevertheless satisfied with himself.

James Sutherland

Jul 9, 2004, 3:20:03 PM7/9/04

> It's sort of a "play, want, bin", but without the wanting and binning,
> and set in the future.

Mostly City of Heroes, probably. Need to get to at least level 10 by
Sunday, if I'm to join the Task Force. Preferably higher, so I'm not too
useless.

Might have another crack at the final stage of Mega Man 1, but it's a bit
tough. If not, then maybe try La Pucelle again, and see if I get on with
it any better.

Tempted to get Spider-Man 2. Anybody know if there's a 60Hz mode and all
that?

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Jul 10, 2004, 7:11:35 AM7/10/04
Stewart Smith <nos...@ee.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> David Beamish wrote: > > I wil lwatch Bubba Ho Tep on dvd and eat curry. >
>
> Ah! Where did get it? As it looks unlikely to get a cinema release round
> these parts I might as well buy the DVD. Looked at PlayUSA already but it
> would be nice to avoid the inevitable customs and Royal Mail rip-off.

It's worth it, dude. It's a fecking great movie.

Choobs

-- Sir Chewbury Gubbins <chewbury...@nelefa.org> Knight of the
Wholly Gnarly Widget - http://www.nelefa.org Gamertag: ChewburyGubbins

Betagam7

Jul 10, 2004, 12:28:09 PM7/10/04

The Last Golum (DC)

weird looking thing I bought on impulse from play-asia.

Tokyo Bus Guide (DC)

Newly arrived from Ebay.

Metal Slug Collection (PC)

Currently clearing space on my HD to install it.

In Memorium (PC)

Thanks for reminding me.

Starfox Adventures (GC)

The first of my trio of newly arrived US games from Ebay.

Doshin the Giant (GC)

Got back into this and playing a day at a time last thing at night.

--
---
Nil Tanner is my Hero

Sprite is the best

xibxang

Jul 10, 2004, 6:37:12 PM7/10/04
spammy-a-chu, I choose you!!

> my play of ninja gaiden has stagnated since the two RSC2 seasons started, so
> hopefully ill be able to spend a bit of time on that.
>
> otherwise itll be rounds four and five of the team season. not really much
> else....

I'm the very same. I'll be hitting NG within the next hour. Just after a
couple more RSC2 races...

--
flying over your house,
a guy called xib.

Trooper

Jul 12, 2004, 3:48:09 AM7/12/04
In article <Xns9521A4CC6ECjam...@130.133.1.4>,
ja...@guybrush.demon.co.uk says...

The only company I use for my region 1 disks and in 3 years and about
300-400 disks I've never had a customs charge when using the DHL
option. Ordering 7 at a time is the way to go though...

--
Trooper
use...@SPAMTRAPtrooperlooper.co.uk (remove the obvious)
GamerTag: TrooperNeil
City of Heroes: Ice Trooper, Old Red, Wonderous Kevin on Victory

Tim Miller

Jul 12, 2004, 7:31:26 AM7/12/04
DBSnappa wrote:

>> I'm stuck on the penultimate class - I can't even do the first
>> course on silver. Gah.
>>
> What is that class and what car are you driving?

It's the Extreme series. I've tried with a number of cars, including the
Ascari and the 911.

Tim Miller

Jul 12, 2004, 7:32:38 AM7/12/04
Betagam7 wrote:

> Doshin the Giant (GC)
>
> Got back into this and playing a day at a time last thing at night.

It's an excelletn way to unwind like that. One of my favourite games of
last year and the year before. I've completed it a lot of times.

DBSnappa

Jul 12, 2004, 8:04:09 AM7/12/04
"Tim Miller" <ne...@economic-truth.co.uk> scribbled:

> DBSnappa wrote:
>
>>> I'm stuck on the penultimate class - I can't even do the first
>>> course on silver. Gah.
>>>
>> What is that class and what car are you driving?
>
> It's the Extreme series. I've tried with a number of cars, including the
> Ascari and the 911.

Is that a bog standard 911 or a GT2? The GT2 is a classic example of scary
911 handling. If this is the class I'm thinking of, then the 360 CS is your
best bet. Handles very benignly right up to and past the limit, unlike
pretty much every other car in that group, and is so markedly different to
it's twitchy end swappy vanilla iteration.

Tim Miller

Jul 12, 2004, 8:32:35 AM7/12/04
DBSnappa wrote:

> Is that a bog standard 911 or a GT2? The GT2 is a classic example of
> scary 911 handling. If this is the class I'm thinking of, then the
> 360 CS is your best bet. Handles very benignly right up to and past
> the limit, unlike pretty much every other car in that group, and is
> so markedly different to it's twitchy end swappy vanilla iteration.

I'll have a look tonight. Cheers for that.

DBSnappa

Jul 12, 2004, 9:06:02 AM7/12/04
"Tim Miller" <ne...@economic-truth.co.uk> scribbled:

> DBSnappa wrote:
>>>
>> Is that a bog standard 911 or a GT2? The GT2 is a classic example of
>> scary 911 handling. If this is the class I'm thinking of, then the
>> 360 CS is your best bet. Handles very benignly right up to and past
>> the limit, unlike pretty much every other car in that group, and is so
>> markedly different to it's twitchy end swappy vanilla iteration.
>
> I'll have a look tonight. Cheers for that.

Actually, having just had a look myself (the joys of working from home) and
waited 30 mins for several aborted update downloads, the 360CS is in
Trackday specials.

Had a look at the class you are doing, and it isn't the cars per se, more
the nature of the street tracks (particularly the first few) comprising
nearly all 90 degree corners.

I used the F50 and F40, both of which are nicely throttle steerable; just
remember to brake early for the corners and drive through with the tail
slightly out with a trailing throttle (y'know, exactly like you drive to
work everyday!) Basically, these course are the epitome of underdriving, as
it were. DOn't try and max out the car on the corners, slow in fast out and
all the usual cliches, but it works and you'll see your lap times tumble.

Good luck. Having had a ten minute blast (the first in about two months), I
recall how much I fucking despise the fact that there is no official
logitech GT Force wheel available for the Xbox.

Betagam7

Jul 12, 2004, 2:29:11 PM7/12/04

> Betagam7 wrote:
> >
> > Doshin the Giant (GC)
> >
> > Got back into this and playing a day at a time last thing at night.
>
> It's an excelletn way to unwind like that. One of my favourite games of
> last year and the year before. I've completed it a lot of times.

Never managed to finish it last time, it's one of those games that if you
leave it you forget where you are and have to start again. So I'm pacing
myself one night at a time.