Tales of Destiny

James Sutherland

Jul 19, 2004, 12:05:26 PM7/19/04
I quite fancy playing the other Tales of... games now that I've tried
Symphonia. There seem to be two PS1 games available in the US, which are
Tales of Destiny 1 and 2. Are the two games related in terms of plot? I
see that ToD2 was called something different in Japan, so I'm guessing it's
not really a direct sequel?

Which of the two games is generally thought to be the best? Are there any
other games in the series available in English?

Paul Tomlin

Jul 19, 2004, 12:41:16 PM7/19/04
Holy black hole! James Sutherland <ja...@guybrush.demon.co.uk> feels
like a wet noodle:

>I quite fancy playing the other Tales of... games now that I've tried
>Symphonia. There seem to be two PS1 games available in the US, which are
>Tales of Destiny 1 and 2. Are the two games related in terms of plot? I
>see that ToD2 was called something different in Japan, so I'm guessing it's
>not really a direct sequel?

Mr Hollingbury will no doubt be along tonight to answer this in an
authoritive fashion, but yeah, US ToD2 was Tales of Eternia in Japan
(where there is a different ToD2 for the PS2, which was too 2D for
them to release in the US). Unconnected as far as I know, but probably
both decent.

>Which of the two games is generally thought to be the best? Are there any
>other games in the series available in English?

There are no others available in English as far as I know (well, I
think there is a fanslation of Tales of Phantasia for the SNES). As
for which is best, I really have no idea ^_^;

[ste parker]

Jul 19, 2004, 12:42:17 PM7/19/04
James Sutherland wrote:

Tales of Destiny isn't bad, but ToD2 is a lot better. It's a much later
Playstation game, I think the original ToD was quite early in comparison
and it shows. ToD2 was Tales of Eternia in Japan (I think), and it
probably only had a name change to tie things in a series for US
audiences for some reason. Don't recall the stories being tied in.

Tales of Phantasia (Jap) was out on SNES as well (and maybe for a
Playstation release?), and I seem to recall a translation was done (in
fact I may well have it....) that was enough to make it playable via
emulator.

--
[ste]

Andrew Hollingbury

Jul 19, 2004, 2:11:49 PM7/19/04

"James Sutherland" <ja...@guybrush.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> I quite fancy playing the other Tales of... games now that I've tried
> Symphonia. There seem to be two PS1 games available in the US, which are
> Tales of Destiny 1 and 2. Are the two games related in terms of plot? I
> see that ToD2 was called something different in Japan, so I'm guessing
it's
> not really a direct sequel?

As everyone's already said, the US Destiny 2 is really Tales of Eternia, and
there's very little relation between the two - there's a "quiz" sidequest in
Eternia that asks you trivia questions about Destiny (there'll probably be
something similar in Symphonia at some point), but apart from the core
battle mechanic there's nothing else I can think of that relates the two.
There's a direct sequel to Destiny available for the PS2 in Japan only,
which makes things even more confusing!

Tales of Symphonia, incidentally, is vaguely related to Tales of Phantasia,
the first game in the series, which was released on SNES and remade for
Playstation after Destiny was released. It takes place on the two moons of
the planet that Phantasia took place on.

> Which of the two games is generally thought to be the best? Are there any
> other games in the series available in English?

Only Destiny, Eternia and Symphonia are available in English, although
there's a translation patch available for the SNES ROM of Phantasia at
http://www.dejap.com (who've also done the first Star Ocean game, which is
well worth playing) - someone was working on a translation of the
Playstation version but I don't think they got very far. I think someone
was working on a translation of Tales of the World : Summoner's Lineage,
which is a strategy RPG for the GBA, and there was some progress on a patch
for Tales of the World Narikiri Dungeon 2 (another GBA game, this time a
dungeon crawler like Chunsoft's Mysterious Dungeon games).

Eternia is a great deal better than Destiny - Destiny is basically a SNES
game with a few voices here and there (mostly cut out of the American
version) and an intensely annoying main character (based on...ooh, an hour's
play?) Eternia has vastly improved graphics - the series switched from a
"top down" view to rather lovely isometric hand-drawn backgrounds for
Eternia - the battle system is both more immediate and yet more complex, and
it's just a lot more fun (and longer). If you can get hold of it I'd
definitely recommend it. Phantasia is very good too, if you're considering
warez0rring it.

Andrew H

James Sutherland

Jul 19, 2004, 2:25:38 PM7/19/04
"Andrew Hollingbury" <a.holl...@OHNOukonline.co.uk> wrote in

> Eternia has vastly improved graphics - the series switched from a
> "top down" view to rather lovely isometric hand-drawn backgrounds for
> Eternia - the battle system is both more immediate and yet more
> complex, and it's just a lot more fun (and longer). If you can get
> hold of it I'd definitely recommend it.

Excellent. Thanks for the replies. ToD2 has now been ordered.