Dual Back Box

Charlie Pie

Jul 7, 2009, 6:24:25 AM7/7/09

Hi All,

I am trying to find a dual back box that will accept a single switched
socket and an FCU. Both fittings are of the 'flat plate' variety. They
will overlap if I use a standard dual box.

Does such a thing exist or will it mean using two single back boxes? If
so what's the best way to line them up?

Many thanks.

--
Charlie Pie

AlanD

Jul 7, 2009, 9:34:00 AM7/7/09

Fred Bloggs

Jul 7, 2009, 9:33:51 AM7/7/09
In article <Charlie.P...@diybanter.com>, Charlie Pie <Charlie.Pie
.498...@diybanter.com> writes

>I am trying to find a dual back box that will accept a single switched
>socket and an FCU. Both fittings are of the 'flat plate' variety. They
>will overlap if I use a standard dual box.

cpc.co.uk

PL1004207 for the surface mount version 39 pee
PL0997207 for the dry lining (plasterboard) version 54 pee

(is there any point replying to this? will the OP see it on diybanter?)

--
Fred Bloggs

Dave Plowman (News)

Jul 7, 2009, 10:41:26 AM7/7/09

Charlie Pie <Charlie.P...@diybanter.com> wrote:
> I am trying to find a dual back box that will accept a single switched
> socket and an FCU. Both fittings are of the 'flat plate' variety. They
> will overlap if I use a standard dual box.

Can I ask if a standard dual box is just that or a standard two gang box?

Because a dual box is designed to take two one gang fittings.

> Does such a thing exist or will it mean using two single back boxes? If
> so what's the best way to line them up?

However, some 'fancy' fittings can be a bit too wide to fit those. The
answer is either to file down the mating edges until they do, or if this
looks unsightly fix two one gang boxes to wood battens (say 1 x 1/2")
along the top after marking them carefully with the fittings in place
(you'll probably have to drill extra holes in the boxes for this) and then
use this as a template for the hole in the wall. If into plasterboard cut
the holes very accurately. If into brick etc fix another scrap of wood
across the top using the fittings screws and then set into the wall using
quick set cement. But it's a fiddle either way.

If into plasterboard, set the original wood battens back on the boxes by
the thickness of the plasterboard and make them about an inch longer.
Drill a pilot hole in each of these extensions. After cutting the
plasterboard, offer the assembly up and drill the plasterboard through
those pilot holes. Dismantle, and fix the battens to the back of the
plasterboard using rust proof screws, so they can be filled over
afterwards. Then fix the boxes to the battens using the original screw
holes.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

ARWadsworth

Jul 7, 2009, 12:48:46 PM7/7/09

"Charlie Pie" <Charlie.P...@diybanter.com> wrote in message

No such thing exists AFAIK.

Use two single back boxes.

To line them up you just need a piece of wood between the two boxes that is
the exact width needed to keep the face plates apart. You need to put the
faceplates onto the back boxes put them side by side and measure the gap
between the back boxes, cut a piece of wood to match and fit the back boxes
into the wall with the wood in place.

Adam

Ron Lowe

Jul 7, 2009, 1:42:40 PM7/7/09
"ARWadsworth" <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

It's curious that you have sent this reply when several hours previously,
others gave suppliers, part numbers and prices.

FWIW, I've used dual faceplate outlets all over Lowe Towers.

At every TV point ( of which there are several ), I have one 'single'
faceplate for dual-sat/UHF/Radio, alongside another 'single' faceplate with
twin Cat-6 outlets. These fit nicely onto a dual back box.

--
Ron

brass monkey

Jul 7, 2009, 2:07:28 PM7/7/09

"Charlie Pie" <Charlie.P...@diybanter.com> wrote in message

I'm almost certain I had one from Wickes but I can't see it on the website.

B&Q have'em though -
http://tinyurl.com/ldfm3n

ARWadsworth

Jul 7, 2009, 2:37:51 PM7/7/09

"Ron Lowe" <ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS> wrote in message

Ron, if you are replying to me then reread the OPs original message. He
wanted a dual back box suitable for flat plate sockets. The OP was well
aware of that normal dual back boxes (including the links supplied by the
others you refer to do not work) and asked if there was a version of dual
back boxes that would suit his need for flat plate sockets.

Adam

Ron Lowe

Jul 7, 2009, 4:07:33 PM7/7/09
"ARWadsworth" <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

I see what you mean.
Apologies for the mis-understanding.

Doubly-so, since I had the same issue recently...

We had some single-faceplate sockets and fused switched spurs in kitchen,
fitted to single back-boxes spaced to the minimum spacing all in a row.
SWMBO decreed these be replaced 'like-for-like' with ultra-thin brushed
Stainless type faceplates. Fair enough, only the bloody stainless thin
things are a fraction wider than the white plastic things they replace.

I agree, it's a PITA.

--
Roh

ARWadsworth

Jul 7, 2009, 4:33:05 PM7/7/09

"Ron Lowe" <ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS> wrote in message

Ron

:-)

Now what and where are Lowe Towers?

Adam

John

Jul 7, 2009, 6:08:58 PM7/7/09

"brass monkey" <a...@b.com> wrote in message
By -"overlap if I use a dual box - do you mean a "Double Box" - made for a
twin socket?

Ah - just looked on TLC site - it states "Suitable for use with White
Accessories ONLY"
Have you compared measurements of different makes of socket and FCU - surely
some are the same as plastic ones

brass monkey

Jul 7, 2009, 7:25:12 PM7/7/09

"John" <Who90...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

I think you replied to the wrong post ;)

I just needed one for a socket and a switch. Being able to rotate each by 90
was also useful.

Charlie Pie

Jul 8, 2009, 6:11:37 AM7/8/09

ARWadsworth;2209504 Wrote:
> "Charlie Pie" Charlie.P...@diybanter.com wrote in message

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to find a dual back box that will accept a single
> switched
> socket and an FCU. Both fittings are of the 'flat plate' variety.
> They
> will overlap if I use a standard dual box.
>
> Does such a thing exist or will it mean using two single back boxes?
> If
> so what's the best way to line them up?
>
> Many thanks.
>

> --
> Charlie Pie-

> No such thing exists AFAIK.
>
> Use two single back boxes.
>
> To line them up you just need a piece of wood between the two boxes
> that is
> the exact width needed to keep the face plates apart. You need to put
> the
> faceplates onto the back boxes put them side by side and measure the
> gap
> between the back boxes, cut a piece of wood to match and fit the back
> boxes
> into the wall with the wood in place.
>
> Adam

Thanks Adam and Dave for the advice I feared there wouldn't be such a
thing. Two singles it is then.

--
Charlie Pie

John

Jul 8, 2009, 3:14:18 PM7/8/09

"brass monkey" <a...@b.com> wrote in message

What about AP 636 on the TLC Web site?

jsabine

Jul 12, 2009, 7:00:28 AM7/12/09
Charlie Pie wrote:

Nope, they do exist - I've got an MK one downstairs which I am 90% sure
I bought in B&Q.

Can't immediately see a part number but the packet describes it as
'Dual Metal Box'

--

John

Dave Plowman (News)

Jul 12, 2009, 7:12:55 AM7/12/09
In article <7btu2cF...@mid.individual.net>,

jsabine <jo...@sabine.org.uk> wrote:
> > Thanks Adam and Dave for the advice I feared there wouldn't be such a
> > thing. Two singles it is then.

> Nope, they do exist - I've got an MK one downstairs which I am 90% sure
> I bought in B&Q.

> Can't immediately see a part number but the packet describes it as
> 'Dual Metal Box'

You've not really followed the thread, have you? ;-)

Certain 'designer' fittings have larger front plates...

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

Bob Eager

Jul 12, 2009, 7:33:15 AM7/12/09
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 11:00:28 UTC, "jsabine" <jo...@sabine.org.uk> wrote:

> Charlie Pie wrote:
>

> > ARWadsworth;2209504 Wrote:
> > > "Charlie Pie" Charlie.P...@diybanter.com wrote in message
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I am trying to find a dual back box that will accept a single
> > > switched
> > > socket and an FCU. Both fittings are of the 'flat plate' variety.
> > > They
> > > will overlap if I use a standard dual box.
> > >
> > > Does such a thing exist or will it mean using two single back boxes?
> > > If
> > > so what's the best way to line them up?
> > >

> > > No such thing exists AFAIK.
> > >
> > > Use two single back boxes.
> > >
> > > To line them up you just need a piece of wood between the two boxes
> > > that is
> > > the exact width needed to keep the face plates apart. You need to
> > > put the
> > > faceplates onto the back boxes put them side by side and measure the
> > > gap
> > > between the back boxes, cut a piece of wood to match and fit the
> > > back boxes
> > > into the wall with the wood in place.
> >

> > Thanks Adam and Dave for the advice I feared there wouldn't be such a
> > thing. Two singles it is then.
>
> Nope, they do exist - I've got an MK one downstairs which I am 90% sure
> I bought in B&Q.
>
> Can't immediately see a part number but the packet describes it as
> 'Dual Metal Box'

Not MK, but here's some:

http://www.cpc.co.uk

parts: PL02641, PL02642, PL00528

http://www.diybanter.com

jsabine

Jul 12, 2009, 3:35:16 PM7/12/09
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> In article <7btu2cF...@mid.individual.net>,
> jsabine <jo...@sabine.org.uk> wrote:
> > Can't immediately see a part number but the packet describes it as
> > 'Dual Metal Box'
>
> You've not really followed the thread, have you? ;-)

Given that I actually quoted, but obviously hadn't read

> > > They
> > > will overlap if I use a standard dual box.

I think that's probably fair comment.

Hey ho. Sundays are clearly as bad as Mondays in my world.

--

John