Saniflo

Jeweller

Feb 23, 2013, 7:58:52 AM2/23/13
We have a plan.
At the front of our house is a tiny room, it could fit a bed in but we
want to convert it to a shower room and toilet.
Problem is all the services, water and drainage, are at the back of the
house.

One solution seems to be to employ a Saniflo device to transfer all the
waste up and across the attic, then down into our existing bathroom to
join the waste there.
The water supply will follow the same route (in reverse).

Are there any horror stories we need be aware of before committing
ourselves to this project?

Cheers
www.davidhowardjeweller.co.uk

polygonum

Feb 23, 2013, 8:02:38 AM2/23/13

John Williamson

Feb 23, 2013, 8:13:41 AM2/23/13
Apart from using a Saniflo, you mean?

They're noisy, unreliable, and when it goes wrong, you'll have a pipe
full of sewage under pressure waiting for you to open the top to deal
with the blockage.

When you use any fitment in that room after bedtime, *everybody* in the
house will know about it. Just don't ask how I know, okay?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

charles

Feb 23, 2013, 8:46:10 AM2/23/13
In article <M13Ws.174324$OB3....@fx08.fr7>,
not a horror story, but you might need to get Building Regulations approval
from your local council.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 23, 2013, 8:49:02 AM2/23/13
One for every Saniflo that's ever been installed.

Punch's advice for people installing Saniflos. Don't.

Friends one die the death. a plastic toothbrush slipped down the bog
unnoticed. End of on suite bathroom.

If you are n a first floor take the waste outside and dig proper drains.

> Cheers

Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

A.Lee

Feb 23, 2013, 9:28:07 AM2/23/13
Jeweller <dgho...@GEEmail.com> wrote:

> One solution seems to be to employ a Saniflo device to transfer all the
> waste up and across the attic, then down into our existing bathroom to
> join the waste there.
> The water supply will follow the same route (in reverse).
>
> Are there any horror stories we need be aware of before committing
> ourselves to this project?

Despite the genral tales of woe about pumped sewerage, I have fitted 2
of these for customers, and been called back twice in 5 years.
The first time a bathroom fitted had boxed in the saniflow, and in so
doing hadnt tighten up the outlet pipe enough, and the second was
blocked due a mass of hair getting stuck around the exit of the unit.

The first was the fault of the fitter, the second would be avoided with
a clean out every 6 months.
If you dont intend doing a dump in that toilet (well, not often), there
is no reason why they should not be considered.
Keep numerous shits, and loads of toilet paper away from them, and they
are fine. Use it as your main toilet, and you will get a blockage.

Dave Liquorice

Feb 23, 2013, 10:03:00 AM2/23/13
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 12:58:52 +0000, Jeweller wrote:

> One solution seems to be to employ a Saniflo device to transfer all the
> waste up and across the attic,

So when it blocks, note "when" not "if", you have at least a 8' head of
mashed up poo and loo roll etc just dying to escape out the bottom and
into your room. How much "fluid" does an 8' plus long bit of waste pipe
hold? One 5 litres, 10?

I'm not totally averse to Saniflos but I'd make sure that there was only
minimal lift required (preferably none) and that the slope on the outlet
pipe was correct for it to drain naturally without leaving bits behind
and only use the absolute minimum of swept bends.

--
Cheers
Dave.

The Medway Handyman

Feb 23, 2013, 10:25:23 AM2/23/13
Apart from which, they are French & to do with plumbing.

PeterC

Feb 23, 2013, 10:40:47 AM2/23/13
The secret to a successful Saniflo is to use a 100mm outlet pipe - oh, hang
on a minute...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

dennis@home

Feb 23, 2013, 11:03:36 AM2/23/13
On 23/02/2013 12:58, Jeweller wrote:
They work most of the time.
You may want to take out a service contract so you don't have the sh!tty
job of fixing them when they break.

Its far better to have normal gravity drainage but its not always possible.

If you do fit one make sure you put drainage holes in suitable places so
you can drain it down for repair, etc. Somewhere high enough to get a
bucket under.

Jules Richardson

Feb 23, 2013, 11:47:52 AM2/23/13
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 12:58:52 +0000, Jeweller wrote:

> We have a plan.

You are trolling, right? :-)

newshound

Feb 23, 2013, 3:55:53 PM2/23/13
On 23/02/2013 12:58, Jeweller wrote:
I've had one for more than 20 years (loo / shower / basin in,
effectively, an en suite). Not right up and over, but in a place which
would have involved major digging of drains *and* running a soil pipe in
front of a main window. Really.

First one (Wickes) had a condenser fail (fixed by service guy), an ST
blockage (fixed myself) and failure of an internal silicone hose (also
fixed myself). I replaced it after about 12 years with a different
Wickes model, I forget why but perhaps the board failed. That has had
one ST blockage, and the "level sense" switch went erratic. Couldn't
find an identical switch (board was ~�100) but replaced it with a spare
boiler fan switch.

Personally, I consider that to be acceptable performance particularly as
the loo and shower get a lot of use, and it would really have been a
horrible job to plumb conventionally. The one time I had the service guy
out he said stick with genuine Saniflo's as the rebadged ones were less
reliable in his experience.

A lot depends on the reliability of wives and daughters.

They are not *that* difficult to service. A wet and dry vac lets you
empty a full basin, and then drain the pump chamber. The older one had
an awkward and messy seal, the later one is better but you have to
figure out how to disassemble the pump chamber to get an ST out.

--
For every complex problem, there is a solution which is simple, neat,
and wrong.

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Feb 23, 2013, 4:31:19 PM2/23/13
newshound <news...@fairadsl.co.uk> wrote:

> A lot depends on the reliability of wives and daughters.
>
> They are not *that* difficult to service.

Hmm. Too much information!

to newsre...@wingsandbeaks.org.uk replacing "aaa" by "284".

newshound

Feb 23, 2013, 4:44:58 PM2/23/13
On 23/02/2013 21:31, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
> newshound <news...@fairadsl.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> A lot depends on the reliability of wives and daughters.
>>
>> They are not *that* difficult to service.
>
> Hmm. Too much information!

Sorry, I inserted the W&D line for clarification after writing the rest.
I should have said Saniflo's are not that difficult to service.

And I have had to do much messier recovery jobs on conventional plumbing.

Peter Parry

Feb 23, 2013, 6:14:59 PM2/23/13
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 12:58:52 +0000, Jeweller <dgho...@GEEmail.com>
wrote:

>One solution seems to be to employ a Saniflo device to transfer all the
>waste up and across the attic, then down into our existing bathroom to
>join the waste there.

You are going to pump effluent up the side of the house, across the
attic over you bedroom and down the other side?

>Are there any horror stories we need be aware of before committing
>ourselves to this project?

Noooo. I mean what can possibly go wrong with a French designed
lavatorial device pumping 10 litres or so of minced shit over your
bedroom ceiling? That is assuming yo use 40mm pipe, if you are daft
enough to use 22m you will soon become very friendly with sewage.

The French are of course renowned for the quality and reliability of
their engineering. Renault, Citroen and Peugot regularly top the
reliability lists (at least if you hold them upside down). In
particular they are known for the excellence of their innovative
lavatorial engineering - such as the pissoir.

Now when this device fails (which it will, you can absolutely
guarantee that) you will have 10-15 litters of fermented minced shit
with nowhere to go but downwards. When you undo the coupling - where
do you think it is going?

Plumbers charge less to service gone critical nuclear reactors than
they do for Saniflos. The only ones willing to do it are the
alcoholic ex axe murderers who can't find employment in sewage works
or as rat exterminators.

There are certain steps you can take to minimise the potential
problem. The ideal solution is to fill the room with the Saniflo with
concrete. Failing this fit a female detector to the door to exclude
all females. Secondly fit a fine wire mesh over the toilet bowl to
exclude anything which won't pass through a 1mm square sieve.

Make the floor of a completely sealed construction (as for a wet room)
and put a 12 inch threshold at the door to contain the effluent. With
the aforementioned precautions you should only ever have to be on your
hands and knees dealing with 10 litres or so of several days old
fermented pee when it breaks as opposed to well fermented , well,
let's not go there.

Fortunately you don't have to fit any warning lights. With the pipe
run proposed everyone in the house will know when it is used. Someone
I used to know (they now live on a small island off the Outer Hebrides
with a long drop toilet and any mention of plumbing causes a relapse)
installed one of these devices and connected their washing machine
(which they ran overnight) to it. For the first few nights they were
kept awake simply by the house shaking as the washing machine emptied
(quietly) and the Saniflo burst into (not very quiet) life.

Then one day then had a good nights sleep because, unbeknown to them,
cotton strands from the washing machine has jammed the Saniflo mincer.
(This mincer can be jammed by moonlight falling upon it at the wrong
angle. Anything more fibrous than a (small) spiders web will stop it
working. )

The next morning as they sat on the throne their feeling of euphoria
at having slept the night through was replaced by horror as nothing
happened (other than the bowl overflowing) when they tried to flush
the loo. They had of course fitted carpet in the bathroom so this
helped soak up some of the less lumpy bits.

23 frantic calls to plumbers later they found a poor gin sodden
wretch willing to clear the blockage for only �500 and a crate of
potato vodka. As he set to work and sewage swept down the hall they
bitterly regretted fitting only a threshold strip instead of the
Berlin Wall at the toilet door.

It would be more hygienic, and much easier for the occupants, to knock
a hole in the wall and simply put a bucket on the other side.

You should also plan to move.

Part Timer

Feb 23, 2013, 6:31:36 PM2/23/13
Amen. Now where's my spare keyboard?

Jeweller

Feb 23, 2013, 7:25:08 PM2/23/13
On 23/02/2013 23:14, Peter Parry wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 12:58:52 +0000, Jeweller <dgho...@GEEmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> One solution seems to be to employ a Saniflo device to transfer all the
>> waste up and across the attic, then down into our existing bathroom to
>> join the waste there.
>
> You are going to pump effluent up the side of the house, across the
> attic over you bedroom and down the other side?
>
>> Are there any horror stories we need be aware of before committing
>> ourselves to this project?
>
> Noooo. I mean what can possibly go wrong with a French designed
> lavatorial device pumping 10 litres or so of minced shit over your
> bedroom ceiling?

Ha. I've seen in other places your contributions to Saniflo's share price!
So far it's about 10:1 AVOID Saniflo at all costs.
I guess I'll have to listen.

Now what else is out there on the market to do this job?

--
www.davidhowardjeweller.co.uk

Toby

Feb 23, 2013, 8:57:28 PM2/23/13
These
http://tinyurl.com/abntorv

Maybe one of these
http://tinyurl.com/bgzdn46

Some of this
http://tinyurl.com/aksesvo

And always, always, one of these
http://tinyurl.com/a2dfdzk

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

Tim+

Feb 24, 2013, 4:39:00 AM2/24/13
I think you should do it. We had a Saniflo for years and the only time it
blocked was when wetwipes were put down it. They're just too fibrous for
the mincer. Admittedly, we didn't have the "pump up and over" type so
there was less to go wrong.

Even so, I reckon if it's rated to pump through 22mm pipes, your best plan
would be to use 22mm up to the loft and the use larger bore tube sloping
down towards the drains at the back so that once up, it can drain by
gravity. This way, if you do have a problem, you'll only have a 22mm
length of pipe to drain. Do ensure that you install a drain point at the
bottom of the 22mm section that you can get a bucket underneath though.

Tim

Grimly Curmudgeon

Feb 24, 2013, 5:02:14 AM2/24/13
wrote:

>horror stories

See that? The title and that phrase combined should tell you all you
need to know.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Feb 24, 2013, 5:04:49 AM2/24/13
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:28:07 +0000, alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) wrote:

>The first was the fault of the fitter, the second would be avoided with
>a clean out every 6 months.

Lovely.

>If you dont intend doing a dump in that toilet (well, not often), there
>is no reason why they should not be considered.

Great.

>Keep numerous shits, and loads of toilet paper away from them, and they
>are fine. Use it as your main toilet, and you will get a blockage.

Fantastic.

So, they're utter shit, then?

The Medway Handyman

Feb 24, 2013, 5:09:26 AM2/24/13
On 23/02/2013 23:14, Peter Parry wrote:
Brilliant. You have a comedy talent, you should write for TV!

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 24, 2013, 5:48:21 AM2/24/13
6" plastic pipe?

newshound

Feb 24, 2013, 10:07:14 AM2/24/13
The usual failure isn't blockage, it is as Tim says something getting
wrapped around the macerator and stalling the pump. At that point, any
stuff in the vertical pipe is most likely to drain down into the
chamber. The problem with changing bore is likely to be suitable
adaptors; remember, you usually use solvent welded on this to avoid
*any* risk of seal failure. Bear that in mind if designing a drain
point. Incidentally, mine is significantly more than 22 mm but can't
check ATM because it is boxed in.

The Medway Handyman

Feb 24, 2013, 10:32:51 AM2/24/13

Bob Eager

Feb 24, 2013, 10:41:07 AM2/24/13
Most of it is in the Humour section of the FAQ. If you've missed
that....look at the expanding foam section.

The Medway Handyman

Feb 24, 2013, 10:54:55 AM2/24/13
This is a great addition to the already hysterical FAQ.

The expanding foam is about the funniest thing I ever read!

Bob Eager

Feb 24, 2013, 11:42:04 AM2/24/13
It's been there a long time.

> The expanding foam is about the funniest thing I ever read!

That one came the nearest to causing me physical damage from laughing.

Terry Casey

Feb 24, 2013, 2:35:08 PM2/24/13
In article <M13Ws.174324$OB3....@fx08.fr7>, dgho...@GEEmail.com says...

> We have a plan.
> At the front of our house is a tiny room, it could fit a bed in but we
> want to convert it to a shower room and toilet.
> Problem is all the services, water and drainage, are at the back of the
> house.
>
> One solution seems to be to employ a Saniflo device to transfer all the
> waste up and across the attic, then down into our existing bathroom to
> join the waste there.
> The water supply will follow the same route (in reverse).
>
> Are there any horror stories we need be aware of before committing
> ourselves to this project?

I read the above post out to my wife ...

There was a temporary delay in the proceedings when I got to the attic bit
while she recovered herself ...

When I finished, she asked if it was April 1st

--

Terry

Mike Tomlinson

Feb 24, 2013, 4:30:49 PM2/24/13
En el art�culo <20gii853nimr1hl5n...@4ax.com>, Peter Parry
<pe...@wpp.ltd.uk> escribi�:

>Noooo. I mean what can possibly go wrong with a French designed
>lavatorial device pumping 10 litres or so of minced shit over your
>bedroom ceiling?

I got this far, then shot toothpaste out of my nose and all over my
keyboard and black jeans. That'll teach me to brush my teeth while
reading your posts. Thanks.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

zaax

Feb 25, 2013, 5:07:17 AM2/25/13
Saniflo's were invented by a Frenchman as a means of reaping revenge on
the English.

The pipe in the new bathroom will be under pressure, so when the
Macerator packs after someone put a Tampax down up you will have all
that shit to come back from the attic under pressure.

Good Luck

--
http://trimley.com/weather/

Tim+

Feb 25, 2013, 8:28:27 AM2/25/13
With a little ingenuity all the problems are surmountable though I reckon
and if it's the only way to fit a shower and loo I would use a Saniflo
again. You could even construct the waste in 22mm copper and fit a
filling/flushing loop (a la combi boiler) to flush any blockages through.

What could go wrong? ;-)

Tim