NBC passed on Fallon's 'Lip Sync Battle'

Bob Jersey

May 4, 2015, 11:34:40 AM5/4/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Tho, to be fair, the original plan was to have regular folks, not celebs, lipping it up.

Aypee via TVNewsCheck (link)

Tom Wolper

May 4, 2015, 12:07:09 PM5/4/15
to TV or not TV
On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:
Tho, to be fair, the original plan was to have regular folks, not celebs, lipping it up.

Aypee via TVNewsCheck (link)

The surprising thing being that somebody ever thought this was a good idea.

Michael

May 4, 2015, 10:42:30 PM5/4/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
And yet, it's been deemed a success and has been renewed for another run. "Good idea" is pretty relative when it comes to viewing numbers.

Dave Sikula

May 5, 2015, 1:06:55 PM5/5/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Just for the record, the concepts "good idea" and "Jimmy Fallon" have never intersected.

--Dave Sikula

David Bruggeman

May 5, 2015, 1:12:57 PM5/5/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
In support of this notion, the Wiki for Lip Sync Battle suggests John Krasinski and Stephen Merchant brought the idea to Fallon for use on his show.

David

May 5, 2015, 1:24:09 PM5/5/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com, bru...@yahoo.com, dbr...@alumni.whitman.edu
That would actually explain why Fallon doesn't have an Executive Producer credit on LSB - only Merchant and Krasinski.  (I assume one of the 4-5 production companies identified by vanity cards at the end belongs to Fallon.)

Doug Eastick

May 5, 2015, 3:34:42 PM5/5/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

That was my understanding too from the first time merchant was on the tonight show doing battle.    Pretty sure i heard Fallon say it was something that Steven and friends would do at parties.

Kevin M.

May 5, 2015, 6:08:20 PM5/5/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Am I the only one who remembers "Puttin' On The Hits," the only show created and produced by RAC Clark, aka Dick Clark Jr? If he patented the idea of televised lip-syncing, he could be earning some decent coin.
Kevin M. (RPCV)

Bob Jersey

May 5, 2015, 9:45:03 PM5/5/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

Kevin M:
Am I the only one who remembers "Puttin' On The Hits," the only show created and produced by RAC Clark, aka Dick Clark Jr? If he patented the idea of televised lip-syncing, he could be earning some decent coin.

[to Doug Eastick:]

That was my understanding too from the first time merchant was on the tonight show doing battle.    Pretty sure i heard Fallon say it was something that Steven and friends would do at parties.

[to David Bruggeman:]

In support of this notion, the Wiki for Lip Sync Battle suggests John Krasinski and Stephen Merchant brought the idea to Fallon for use on his show.

David

Futon Critic (link to listings for the show, where Merchant himself will appear on this Thursday's [7] show), only lists two production companies: Matador (link to pee-arr about Spike pickup), and Eight Million Plus, which is American Jimmy.

They have Fallon listed among a group of EPs.

JW

May 6, 2015, 5:49:02 AM5/6/15
to tvornottv
> Am I the only one who remembers "Puttin' On The Hits," the only show
> created and produced by RAC Clark, aka Dick Clark Jr? If he patented the
> idea of televised lip-syncing, he could be earning some decent coin.

No, you're not. It was just silly enough that I found it watchable. I can't say I've missed it, or even thought about it, since it left the air.

Mark Jeffries

May 6, 2015, 7:39:30 PM5/6/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
And Matador Content is a doc/reality shingle based in New York.  "Lip Sync Battle" seems to be their first series of note.

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com