Trevor Noah named host of The Daily Show

Diner

Mar 30, 2015, 8:54:05 AM3/30/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

Kevin M.

Mar 31, 2015, 2:49:51 AM3/31/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
FYI. People on the Tweety-thingy are already retweeting some less than politically correct Tweets by Noah, some might say racist.

I'm not a fan of buzzfeed but it is easier to link to their aritcle than to copy and paste the direct links:

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 5:54 AM, Diner <bway...@gmail.com> wrote:

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Bob Jersey

Mar 31, 2015, 10:11:57 AM3/31/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

Kevin M, to Diner, in part:
FYI. People on the Tweety-thingy are already retweeting some less than politically correct Tweets by Noah, some might say racist.

I'm not a fan of buzzfeed but it is easier to link to their aritcle than to copy and paste the direct links:

TheWrap (link) had a couple of them as well.  No comment from CC.

David Bruggeman

Mar 31, 2015, 10:17:27 AM3/31/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The shows are dark and Noah is performing in Oman tonight. CC or Noah may wait a while before saying anything.  That may not be a good strategy, depending on whether this has legs.

David

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

David Bruggeman

Mar 31, 2015, 3:47:44 PM3/31/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

David

Mar 31, 2015, 3:50:30 PM3/31/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
And I should have read Kevin's link before replying.  I figured CNN was just reporting on the Tweets, which is incorrect.
David

This is just bad vetting on somebody's part. I don't think his Tweets are any worse than things posted by Norm McDonald, Colin Quinn, Gilbert Gottfried, or countless other comics known for pushing buttons, but before you hire a guy, you have to review his whole body of work. The internet makes that easy to do, and it obviously was not done. A simple wording in the original place release along the lines of, "Noah holds nothing back and nobody is sacred; he's as quick to joke about Israel as he is to joke about himself" would have minimized the impact. Now everybody is playing catch-up and that rarely ends well.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Adam Bowie

Mar 31, 2015, 4:25:28 PM3/31/15
to tvornottv
I suspect that if you're hiring a comedian, you're on a hiding to nothing. Many will have made some kind of "offensive" jokes that others find in poor taste at some period in their career - be that on Twitter, or captured on somebody's phone in some tiny comedy club somewhere.

I'm not defending a couple of those Tweets, but then in different countries there are cultural differences, and South Africa has been playing quite a bit of catch-up.

Tom Wolper

Mar 31, 2015, 5:46:32 PM3/31/15
to TV or not TV
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Kevin M. <drunkba...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is just bad vetting on somebody's part. I don't think his Tweets are any worse than things posted by Norm McDonald, Colin Quinn, Gilbert Gottfried, or countless other comics known for pushing buttons, but before you hire a guy, you have to review his whole body of work. The internet makes that easy to do, and it obviously was not done. A simple wording in the original place release along the lines of, "Noah holds nothing back and nobody is sacred; he's as quick to joke about Israel as he is to joke about himself" would have minimized the impact. Now everybody is playing catch-up and that rarely ends well.

The interest here is outsized because he's going to be on CC's flagship show. If he were to get another show, like a prime time half hour, there is no story here. And I am surprised that CC did not go through Noah's Twitter feed and chose to announce Noah while is away from the country and thus is stuck doing damage control.

Bob Jersey

Apr 1, 2015, 9:43:52 AM4/1/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

Aasif Mandvi at a LinkedIn conference reiterated what many are thinking... does Twitter have to be that significant, even years after any given thing said there?  TheWrap (link)

Tom Wolper

Apr 1, 2015, 12:56:40 PM4/1/15
to TV or not TV
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:

Aasif Mandvi at a LinkedIn conference reiterated what many are thinking... does Twitter have to be that significant, even years after any given thing said there?  TheWrap (link)

The entrance of any new communications technology is going to be bumpy as some people profit from unforeseen advantages and others suffer from unforeseen disadvantages. If Noah had said these things in a magazine interview
a few years ago there is no question that he would have to own the remarks. Maybe he did not think of Twitter as a published record when he tweeted those jokes but that is now the reality and he has to face it.

David Lynch

Apr 1, 2015, 11:30:29 PM4/1/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 8:43 AM Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:

Aasif Mandvi at a LinkedIn conference reiterated what many are thinking... does Twitter have to be that significant, even years after any given thing said there?  TheWrap (link)

I can't defend some of the jokes, but the entire thing to me had the feeling of someone (or multiple someones) specifically looking for something controversial because outrage is the only thing that gets anyone's attention these days and I'm not sure that I like that.

This also feels like one of the early rounds of some friction that I've seen predicted for quite some time, between the internet native generation's attitudes that social media posts are communications in and of a moment and not necessarily meant for posterity and the established feeling that anything that gets committed to writing, photo, or video under your name sticks with you for all eternity. Something is going to have to give there, but I don't know what will give or what norms will be once that happens.

Kevin M.

Apr 1, 2015, 11:49:43 PM4/1/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
There are two ways to evaluate a person's character, by their words and by their actions. I stopped watching Daily Show a while back and have not seen him on-air, and I know nothing of him personally. Maybe he is extremely kind to women and Jewish people in his personal life, and if that can be demonstrated, good for him. His words are troublesome for a number of reasons, least of which is he is set to inherit a series that has served as a mouthpiece for a large chunk of popular culture. Maybe both Noah and Comedy Central envision the new iteration of the series to be more bombastic, more along the lines of an insult comic reflecting on people in the news. His Tweets would certainly indicate he'd be good at something like that. But to those hoping for the sort of playful jabs and comedic insight they've come to expect from the Daily Show crew, Noah's words are not encouraging. His actions might tell a different story. We are all waiting to see. But while we wait, all we have are Noah's words.

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

David Bruggeman

Apr 2, 2015, 12:27:31 AM4/2/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The Tweets, in my opinion, represent attempts at humor I have not seen/heard in his segments on TDS to date, or in what bits and pieces of his standup and interviews that I've heard.

I don't claim to have a broad understanding of his act (and his DC dates next week are sold out, so I can't check it in person).  But I think the material he's been paid to perform will better reflect what he will bring to TDS than the stuff he's Tweeted about.  In other words, the objections to Noah have been - as best as I can tell - on the words he's Tweeted, and not about the stand-up specials, the documentary film (http://www.youlaughbutitstrue.com/), the talk show in South Africa, his appearances with Leno and Letterman, or the rest of his body of work that we clueless Americans haven't bothered to examine.

Depending on how much churn happens in the writing/producing staff at TDS, I think the show will shift to a more internationally-focused program with Noah in the chair.  Ideally, the object of ridicule will be our general ignorance of the rest of the world, with less emphasis on the fecklessness of our modern media.

David

Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2015 11:49 PM

Kevin M.

Apr 4, 2015, 9:23:03 PM4/4/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what makes Jim Norton an authority on what people should take offense at, but Time has given him the digital equivalent of column inches to defend Noah.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Doug Eastick

Apr 4, 2015, 10:13:58 PM4/4/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I listened to jim norton  a lot the past year while commuting.   While i think he is a dick sometimes, he has a wide perspective on things.   In short, a reasonable article.

If there is a comedian that says offensive and stupid things,  Jim norton is one of them.
-- Sent with K-@ Mail - the evolution of emailing.

Kevin M.

Apr 4, 2015, 11:50:56 PM4/4/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Doug Eastick <eas...@mcd.on.ca> wrote:
I listened to jim norton  a lot the past year while commuting.   While i think he is a dick sometimes, he has a wide perspective on things.   In short, a reasonable article.

If there is a comedian that says offensive and stupid things,  Jim norton is one of them.

Over in the Twitter, there seem to be two camps: People who are outraged and people who want permission to say whatever they want without consequence. As stated here and elsewhere, I don't know Noah, so I don't have a dog in this fight. Norton's op-ed strikes me as a defense of Noah only because Norton wants to avoid ridicule for himself when he says something others might deem offensive. I listen to enough podcasts by comics and with comic guests to know that much.

This might be semi off-topic, but the other day I watched Monica Lewinsky's TED Talk, and for the life of me I didn't understand why she was giving it. Genuine cyber-bullying, genuine slut-shaming, is a thing, and it is wrong, but expecting people to feel either shame or regret when they do something wrong is a function of society. Lewinsky claimed she was the first person who was ever slut-shamed and bullied on the internet, and perhaps she was, but in her TED Talk she stated the mistake she made was, "I fell in love with my boss." Well, no, the mistake she made was giving a blow-job to a married man in the same building as his wife and daughter. Bill Clinton's mistake was cheating on his wife with a co-worker while leader of the free world. Both deserve an element of shame for that. And yes, Clinton ought be more ashamed. But falling in love wasn't why people were/are critical of Lewinsky. To me, this relates to what is happening with Noah. I don't care that he made potentially offensive jokes -- that wasn't the mistake. Several comics I admire have said far worse. But you see the twinkle in the eye of Don Rickles when he takes a stab at Jews or Asians or women, and you know he doesn't mean it... he's going for the cheap laugh, as his Jewish and Asian and female friends would all attest, and those same friends would all gladly break his balls in return. What hasn't been stated is the intent behind Noah's posts on Twitter. And the lack of his response is only fueling the story. And I think what most Daily Show fans want to know, perhaps even more than the intent behind the jokes, is whether that's the sort of humor the show will be adopting when Stewart departs.

The focus seems to be on what has been dubbed "manufactured outrage," but I think from the fans of the show it is simple curiosity. People don't know if they should be outraged and are trying to suspend judgment until they hear from Noah or Stewart. The longer the silence, the more the curiosity turns to concern over whether the franchise will be harmed. In short, the mistake isn't the jokes... it is the silence that has followed their discovery.

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

Bob Jersey

Apr 5, 2015, 10:25:54 AM4/5/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

This Deadline piece by Lisa D (link) noted that Lewinsky was invited to The View around the time she gave the TED Talk, leading to "speculation" that the network could be courting her as a cohost (but also noting that doing so might complicate their ability to access Mrs Clinton down the road), and brought up her 1999 20/20 interview with Walters (and the unintendedly-funny ads that accompanied it!)

Kevin M.

Apr 5, 2015, 8:03:07 PM4/5/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 7:25 AM, Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:

This Deadline piece by Lisa D (link) noted that Lewinsky was invited to The View around the time she gave the TED Talk, leading to "speculation" that the network could be courting her as a cohost (but also noting that doing so might complicate their ability to access Mrs Clinton down the road), and brought up her 1999 20/20 interview with Walters (and the unintendedly-funny ads that accompanied it!)

Thinking back, the most odious part of her TED Talk was when she did a humble-brag about a guy in his 20s flirting with her, and some in the crowd reacted favorably, ooing and awing and a smattering of claps, evidence of a double-standard that has always annoyed me. When an older guy dates a younger woman, the guy is a cradle robber and the girl is a gold digger. When an older woman dates a younger man, it is cheers and fist-bumps and high-fives for all involved. Even taken to the extreme, when you see on the news that a male teacher has seduced a female student, he is scum and the girl is a victim. But when a female teacher does the same to a male student, it is a subject of more than a few 1980s coming-of-age comedies, and the male student is virtually a hero. As a former teacher, I knew I always had to keep the door to my classroom wide open if I had one or more female students in the room with me. And on the first day of each school year, I had to instruct all students to keep physical distance... little kids in particular still like to hug their teachers, but a male teacher cannot allow it, simply because the specter of a rumor of a hint of anything that could even be perceived as improper is enough to ruin a guy. And yet imagine the TED Talk the 20-something guy who flirted with 40-something Monica Lewinsky could have given had he been more successful.

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)