FCC: "Redskins" not a 'dirty' word

Bob Jersey

Dec 18, 2014, 11:08:10 PM12/18/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
A George Wa(r)shington U. professor challenged the licence of WWXX, the Snyder-owned FM which is one of the NFL team's outlets, over whether it was. He failed.

This Bloomberg piece (link) said he's also got a complaint against Fox-13 in LA. For what, use of it by Terry, Howie, Jimmy et al.?

Tom Wolper

Dec 18, 2014, 11:10:43 PM12/18/14
to TV or not TV
On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:
A George Wa(r)shington U. professor challenged the licence of WWXX, the Snyder-owned FM which is one of the NFL team's outlets, over whether it was. He failed.

This Bloomberg piece (link) said he's also got a complaint against Fox-13 in LA. For what, use of it by Terry, Howie, Jimmy et al.?

More likely he's shopping for a friendly judge.

Mark Jeffries

Dec 19, 2014, 2:00:55 AM12/19/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Fox 11.  KCOP is My13.

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

PGage

Dec 19, 2014, 12:17:15 PM12/19/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 8:08 PM, Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:
A George Wa(r)shington U. professor challenged the licence of WWXX, the Snyder-owned FM which is one of the NFL team's outlets, over whether it was. He failed.

This Bloomberg piece (link) said he's also got a complaint against Fox-13 in LA. For what, use of it by Terry, Howie, Jimmy et al.?

Somebody failed here, but not sure it was Banzhaf.

"the FCC said Redskins doesn’t fit definitions for obscene or profane words because it isn’t sexual or excretory in nature."

So, I guess the "Washington Motherfuckers" (a name which no doubt would be chosen to honor those who love their mothers) and the "Washington Pants-Shitters" would not be acceptable, but the "Washington Niggers" or "Washington Kikes" would be just fine.

Tom Wolper

Dec 19, 2014, 1:46:33 PM12/19/14
to TV or not TV
By the rules the FCC got from Congress that's right. If you complain to the FCC they'll tell you that those are the rules they work under and if you're not happy convince Congress to give them new rules.

PGage

Dec 19, 2014, 1:52:20 PM12/19/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
And yet, if there was an NFL team called the Washington Kikes, I suspect most television stations would not say it very often over their air.

As I say, somebody has failed here, but I am not sure it was Banzhaf...

Tom Wolper

Dec 19, 2014, 4:08:53 PM12/19/14
to TV or not TV
Banzhaf probably has a longer term strategy. The first and most obvious step is to get a ruling from the FCC and he has done that. I doubt he was surprised by the ruling and he's going to move on to his next steps.

Since the FCC is being asked to suppress speech we want them to have guidelines that are specific as possible. Asking them to suppress based on perceived offensiveness is just too vague.

Trying to come up with an analogous offensive nickname doesn't work because Washington has had that nickname for decades without a major challenge. If they went to change it to another slur they would be stopped by the NFL and the team's  advertisers/local business community long before it got to the FCC. The day will come when Washington will change the name of their team since the problems with the name will not disappear even if the current pressure abates.

PGage

Dec 19, 2014, 4:24:50 PM12/19/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
My point is not that the FCC Ruling is in error here - indeed, I would rather they allow stations to broadcast "motherfucker" than that they fine them for broadcasting "Redskins".

My point is that somebody has failed here, but I am not sure it was Banzhaf...it is the idiot who owns the Washington DC NFL franchise, and the idiots who run the NFL.

K.M. Richards

Dec 20, 2014, 3:03:46 PM12/20/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, December 19, 2014 9:17:15 AM UTC-8, PGage wrote:
... but the "Washington Niggers" or "Washington Kikes" would be just fine.

To tell the family secret, my grandmother was Dutch ...