T. Fey series to Netflix

Bob Jersey

Nov 21, 2014, 11:25:47 PM11/21/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, which she cowrote with Robert Carlock, originally bound for NBC. Two-season commitment. Ellie Kemper stars.

Nellie (link)

Steve Timko

Nov 22, 2014, 6:14:31 AM11/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

So I'm not clear. What does NBC want? 30 Rock was never a ratings blockbuster.  The coattails from Fey's new show aren't going to pull along the show that follows it. But NBC's got nothing.
Could this be a power play by Universal TV because they see hope for the series finding an audience streaming but they know it won't last 13 episodes on the garbage scow known as NBC?

Sent from Blue Mail

Mark Jeffries

Nov 22, 2014, 11:07:09 AM11/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Probably.  They also know that unless you're a multi-cam disguised as a one-camera show (like, uh, say, "Modern Family") or animated, you have no chance in hell in OTA syndication these days.  Just go to whatever listings you use and see where most one-camera shows are scheduled compared to the lamest of multi-cams (like, say, the Tyler Perry shows).  And even if "Mindy Project" makes it to enough episodes for syndication, how many stations will want to run the oral sex episode in the dinner hour?

I wonder sometimes that Viacom and Disney might be thinking about letting their Nick and DIsney Channel sitcoms go into OTA syndication, despite the risk of damaging their channels' ratings.  I would suspect that the stations would snap those shows up, even considering that neither channel lets most of those shows run past 65 episodes.  And I could imagine that there are small market stations that would be happier to take them rather than be forced to take the Tyler Perry shows or the one-camera shows to fill up their schedules (or without having to open up the pocketbooks to try to steal "2.5 Men" or "Big Bang" from another station).

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.