[TV orNotTV] An NBA Sideline Interview to Remember...

PGage

Apr 20, 2014, 5:24:10 PM4/20/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I have seen a lot of NBA games on television, and have been a long time critic of the awkward, uninformative coach's interview at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters that David Stern mandated many years ago now to goose tv ratings.

All of the wasted minutes (they would add up to many hours now) were justified today with this interview of San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich by new sideline reporter Çraig Sager jr:

You might have to know the history to appreciate all of it, but I think most of it comes through in the context.

Pop is the third best coach in the history of the NBA, and the best currently active. He is also a hell of a guy, as is clear here.

Eastick, Doug

Apr 20, 2014, 6:33:02 PM4/20/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
well that interview sure broke the pattern.

I was expecting this:
http://imgur.com/gUgkpTx
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Bob Jersey

Apr 20, 2014, 10:44:48 PM4/20/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I wasn't aware of daddy Sager's personal sitch. Fight on, dude...  B

PGage

Apr 20, 2014, 11:58:10 PM4/20/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:
I wasn't aware of daddy Sager's personal sitch. Fight on, dude...  B

They just made it public recently - I first heard it on Saturday, but it may have been out there on Friday. In their morning studio show the TNT guys said that they had first asked Pop to do the interview with Junior before the game (assuming I am sure that it would be too disruptive for him to do it during the actual game), and they reported that Pop said to hell with that, let's do it after the 3rd quarter.

David Bruggeman

Apr 21, 2014, 1:25:46 AM4/21/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I believe it broke quite late on Thursday, as Olbermann mentioned it Thursday and updated it on Friday with a statement from Sager.

David

PGage

Apr 21, 2014, 1:42:17 AM4/21/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM, David Bruggeman <bru...@yahoo.com> wrote:
I believe it broke quite late on Thursday, as Olbermann mentioned it Thursday and updated it on Friday with a statement from Sager.

I did see the Olbermann piece, which is where I first learned of it, but it was either online Saturday, or I guess a repeat on ESPN on Saturday (they do that don't they?)

David Bruggeman

Apr 21, 2014, 1:51:42 AM4/21/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, Olbermann repeats on the various four-letter channels through the following morning.

Sent: Monday, April 21, 2014 1:42 AM