Men still outnumber women in commercial roles

Bob Jersey

Sep 19, 2014, 2:53:48 PM9/19/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
HuffPost (link): As they have for years... a female appearing in an ad increases the odds that she'll also do voiceover in it, say the authors...

Kevin M.

Sep 19, 2014, 5:34:04 PM9/19/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Statistically, women dictate what appears in media, inasmuch as they are the target consumers. So if there are more men than women in commercial roles, it's because it has been determined that is what women want to see.

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:
HuffPost (link): As they have for years... a female appearing in an ad increases the odds that she'll also do voiceover in it, say the authors...

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Tom Wolper

Sep 19, 2014, 5:55:02 PM9/19/14
to TV or not TV
On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Kevin M. <drunkba...@gmail.com> wrote:
Statistically, women dictate what appears in media, inasmuch as they are the target consumers. So if there are more men than women in commercial roles, it's because it has been determined that is what women want to see.

The problem with an assertion like this is that there has to be evidence of a test. An advertising agency somewhere has to have done a study where they made a commercial, or set of commercials, with men, then made the same commercials with women, released the sets to equivalent markets, gathered results that showed the preference and shared that preference with their clients and possibly published it for the rest of the world.

I don't believe that has been done and I will happily retract my statement if anybody can show it has. The legacy is more work opportunities for men and as long as the clients are happy with results there will be no pressure to change.

Kevin M.

Sep 19, 2014, 8:05:00 PM9/19/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
When I was in college attaining my useless communications degree (seriously, don't get a com. degree), we reviewed countless such studies. And the rule still applies. There's a reason George Clooney is popular in movies, and it isn't because men like him. Comedian Bill Burr has a poignant bit that thanks to political correctness, in advertising, white men are the only group allowed to look like idiots, always the fumbling dad or hapless workplace dolt -- the argument can be made that is a carryover to the tradition of media geared towards women -- they don't want to see themselves playing the fool.

Media has been targeted towards women since what we consider modern media has evolved (basically since media was able to be recorded and consumed at home at home). If I still had my old college textbooks I could cite the study, but since I don't you're free from retracting.

But, really, don't get a communications degree. Total waste of money.

---