U.S. Women's World Cup final shatters TV ratings record

Tom Wolper

Jul 6, 2015, 3:44:53 PM7/6/15
to TV or not TV

Bob Jersey

Jul 6, 2015, 4:00:53 PM7/6/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com, two...@gmail.com

Weather pushed the July NASCAR Cup Daytona race after 11PM east, after already being pushed to Sunday night by clueless NBC brass who must think SNL reruns need protection... they'd better hope for decent L+3/L+7 figgers...

M-D November

Jul 6, 2015, 10:48:54 PM7/6/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
According to NASCAR's website, the race was postponed on Saturday due to weather, not NBC's scheduling hijinks.

Mark Jeffries

Jul 7, 2015, 7:57:11 AM7/7/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Meanwhile, the World Cup match was nowhere on U.S. terrestrial radio Sunday night, a royal screwup, especially considering that there are at least five national sports radio networks, most owned by the media biggies, to feed the sports talk radio beast--consultant Fred Jacobs:

To me, it's a statement of how low a priority Fox Sports Radio is to its bosses (it's almost like Premiere is actually running the network and using the Fox name, theme music and Earle Mann's voice).  I seem to recall that ESPN Radio did World Cup coverage on both the English radio network and ESPN Desportes radio.  Perhaps the programmers, accustomed as they are to their mancave audience, were convinced that the talk shows wouldn't get phone calls about a bunch of chicks playing soccer while anything and everything in baseball would burn up the phone lines.

Bob Jersey

Jul 7, 2015, 10:31:48 AM7/7/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com, mdnov...@gmail.com
Having to switch browsers while Firefox is having PMS...

M-D November, to moi:
According to NASCAR's website, the race was postponed on Saturday due to weather, not NBC's scheduling hijinks.

I'll endeavor to attach a crop of the original PDF season schedule, which will show the July Daytona event as scheduled for Sunday night. Officially, as f'rinstance writer Bob Pockrass says here (Twitter link), NBC's move was to protect televised Fourth events that would be airing at the same time as a Saturday race. Ostensibly it won't happen again for seven years.

Bob Jersey

Jul 7, 2015, 10:52:43 AM7/7/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com, spotl...@gmail.com

Mark Jeffries, to M-D November, in part:
To me, it's a statement of how low a priority Fox Sports Radio is to its bosses (it's almost like Premiere is actually running the network and using the Fox name, theme music and Earle Mann's voice).  I seem to recall that ESPN Radio did World Cup coverage on both the English radio network and ESPN Desportes radio.  Perhaps the programmers, accustomed as they are to their mancave audience, were convinced that the talk shows wouldn't get phone calls about a bunch of chicks playing soccer while anything and everything in baseball would burn up the phone lines.

Radio might have started in the Beverly Hills 'plex, but given it's always been a Premiere partnership, quickly re-rooted in their principal digs, Ventura at Sepulveda, Sherman Oaks... and yeah, Fox might hire talent, but Premiere handles all else.

Bob Jersey

Jul 7, 2015, 3:43:56 PM7/7/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com, bob.in...@juno.com, mdnov...@gmail.com

And in an Aypee piece Saturday from veteran racin' scribe Jenna Fryer (link), NBC honcho Mark Lazarus saw it even more simply... "fewer people watch TV that night because they are all out watching fireworks".  B

Doug Fields

Jul 7, 2015, 10:04:05 PM7/7/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com, mdnov...@gmail.com

???  Your quote below, from Mark Lazarus, is referring to the Daytona 500 NASCAR race, and has nothing to do with women’s soccer.

Doug Fields

Tampa, FL

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Doug Fields

Jul 7, 2015, 10:09:10 PM7/7/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com, mdnov...@gmail.com

Ah…never mind…after putting in the extra  effort to go back and re-read all the previous posts to this thread, I finally found the earlier post where the topic veered off to NASCAR…demonstrating yet again the value of quoting the post  that you’re responding to.

Bob Jersey

Jul 8, 2015, 11:29:55 AM7/8/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com, do...@flids.net, mdnov...@gmail.com

Doug Fields, to moi:

Ah…never mind…after putting in the extra  effort to go back and re-read all the previous posts to this thread, I finally found the earlier post where the topic veered off to NASCAR…demonstrating yet again the value of quoting the post  that you’re responding to.

For others that don't get it (Sir Tom used to have an address devoted to them):

The Daytona *500* is held in February, and still is Fox's property and will be till at least 2022 and probably really 2024.

The Daytona *400*, popularly called the Firecracker 400, used to be held on July 4th regardless of what day of the week that actually was, from 1960 until 1987... happily there was an off-week prior to it.  France jnr moved it to first-Saturday-July in '88, and then NBC pestered the brass to make this move.

This year's 400, had it come off at the normal time, would have partially overlapped the soccer final.

Glad to help.

Mark Jeffries

Jul 8, 2015, 7:44:00 PM7/8/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Which race is now known as the Carbonated Diet Cola Drink That Isn't Diet Coke 400.

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com