John oliver

Doug Eastick

Aug 25, 2015, 10:05:55 PM8/25/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

I think I like his show more than Jon Stewart.  I think since he has a week to prepare for one topic alone,  the depth and strength of his position is just so much better than Stewart's typical work.

And I'm tempted to send him some money to his church,  knowing it goes to Doctors without Borders.

PGage

Aug 26, 2015, 5:44:43 AM8/26/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
As you say, it is unfair to compare it to a daily show; even so, "Last Week Tonight" is the best show on television.

As Oliver might put it: "that's not a subjective opinion, that's a fact; that's an objective fact"

On Tuesday, August 25, 2015, Doug Eastick <eas...@mcd.on.ca> wrote:

I think I like his show more than Jon Stewart.  I think since he has a week to prepare for one topic alone,  the depth and strength of his position is just so much better than Stewart's typical work.

And I'm tempted to send him some money to his church,  knowing it goes to Doctors without Borders.

Ben Combee

Aug 26, 2015, 11:42:17 AM8/26/15
to TV or Not TV mailing list
I really enjoy his show, but I find his "mock outrage" bit to be
overdone. It's funny once an episode, but it bugs me when it's his go
to bit for a not-so-funny topic.
> ---
> "TVorNotTV" group.
> email to tvornottv+...@googlegroups.com.

Dave Sikula

Aug 26, 2015, 3:33:58 PM8/26/15
to TVorNotTV
I -so- want to like Oliver's show - and do like most of it most weeks - but it does tend to deteriorate into three things: 1) Oliver shouting at camera, 2) his mocking a stock photo with a variation on "That's not how it's done <name>! You know it's not!," and 3) His showing a photo or map or something and then mocking his audience for not know he's not showing what he's claiming to show.

I'm glad someone is doing in-depth investigations of stuff, but some of the topics seems little flimsy.

--Dave Sikula