Surprise cuts at CBS Philly

Bob Jersey

Jul 2, 2015, 12:31:16 PM7/2/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Within entertainment writer Jenny DeHuff's latest entry (Philly.com link), anchor Chris May, head meteorologist Kathy Orr and sports director (ex-NFL player) Beasley Reece all shown the door by KYW-DT.

Diner

Jul 2, 2015, 1:04:17 PM7/2/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 12:31:16 PM UTC-4, Bob Jersey wrote:
Within entertainment writer Jenny DeHuff's latest entry (Philly.com link), anchor Chris May, head meteorologist Kathy Orr and sports director (ex-NFL player) Beasley Reece all shown the door by KYW-DT.

And Carol Erickson, who has been at the station since 1978 - usually as a weathercaster, but sometimes as a reporter and anchor - is leaving the station too.

You may know her name from, as the article states, "her epic catfight with anchor Nicole Brewer" (which I blame on Brewer's inability to do a "toss" properly). And Broadway fans may know Carol from Christopher Durang's reference to her in his Tony-winning play "Vanya and Sonya and Masha and Spike."

She always sticks in my mind for a news story she did in the early eighties, when she was the station's South Jersey reporter. She was covering a long-running strike at a local factory, and she was interviewing one of the striking workers and his wife, with all three of them sitting on a couch in the couple's living room. Carol asked the wife how she was holding up, and the wife said, well, it's hard... and then she started to cry. Carol then turned to the husband and said "How does it feel to see your wife cry like this?" It was the first time I'd seen the oft-mocked "how does it feel" line used in real life.

She's gotten a lot better since then. Sorry to see her go.

BTW, if KYW gets rid of Pat Ciarrocchi, it's pretty much all over for them.

-Tim