[TV orNotTV] Help For DVR Decisions on New Shows

PGage

Sep 21, 2014, 7:43:35 PM9/21/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I find I am focusing in on the new Fall shows later and later - with only 1 or 2 exceptions, I really had no awareness of most of these. I found a quick guide on the WaPo that listed 25 new shows (well, 26, but I am leaving off "Transparent" which I will be watching, but is streamed on Amazon). Based on those descriptions and recommendations, and my own sometimes perverse predilections, I have assigned them to 4 categories: "Definitely record", "Trial record" (which also means they will likely loose any recording face-off decisions with higher ranked shows; the notation "sucker" here means I gather from the critics this is probably a dog, but since I am a sucker for this kind of show I will probably try to watch it to decide for myself. Several to many of these will probably either not survive face-off decisions, or never get watched by me as they build up on my DVR and I hear bad word of mouth); "Probably Not" (open to upgrading if I get strong recommendations from others) and "No" (will not record even if others say it is great - may watch in a few years if proven wrong). This list is supposed to include all new dramas and sitcoms, but not reality shows or specials.

I am soliciting any quick hits on any of these, especially those with recommendations to move up or down programs I have placed in the middle two categories:

Yes
1. Madam Secretary
2. Gotham

Trial
1. Survivor's Remorse
2. Jane The Virgin
3. Forever (still grieving premature loss of “Amsterdam”)
4. Gracepoint (I never saw Broadchurch, so I might try this first)
5. NCIS: New Orleans (sucker)
6. State of Affairs (sucker)
7. Scorpion (sucker)
8. Stalker (sucker)
9. Selfie (This would be “No", but Karen Gilian, so…)

Probably Not
1. Blackish
2. Cristela
3. Mulaney
4. The Affair
5. The Flash
6. The Mysteries of Laura

No
1. How To Get Away With Murder
2. Marry Me
3. Bad Judge
4. Manhattan Love Story
5. A to Z
6. Red Band Society
7. The McCarthys
8. Constantine

Joe Coughlin

Sep 21, 2014, 8:46:53 PM9/21/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Do you like Arrow? If so, then The Flash is a definite yes.
> --
> --
> ---
> "TVorNotTV" group.
> email to tvornottv+...@googlegroups.com.

+++++++++++++++
Joe Coughlin
http://www.twitter.com/inturnaround

PGage

Sep 21, 2014, 8:59:40 PM9/21/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Joe Coughlin <inturn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do you like Arrow? If so, then The Flash is a definite yes.

I never got around to Arrow. I am committed to sampling Gotham, and am already on SHIELD, so I don't know how much more of that genre I can take on board.

Ed Dravecky

Sep 21, 2014, 11:26:57 PM9/21/14
to TV or Not TV
PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Probably Not
> 6. The Mysteries of Laura

The pilot wasn't bad but I'll need a few more episodes to see if Debra
Messing's charms can overcome my aversion to out-of-control children
on television who in the real world would be in protective custody,
juvenile detention, or the city morgue. If they dial down the kids a
lot, it might be good.

> No
> 1. How To Get Away With Murder

This one intrigues me and the combo of Viola Davis and the Shondaland
machine means it should at least be better than 90% of what NBC has to
offer. Gets the 'record' for now on those strengths plus the
all-Shonda Rhimes lineup on Thursday night should keep it on the air
all season.

The only other possibility on your No list is "Constantine" but I'm
still grieving the premature loss of "The Dresden Files" so my
optimism is cautious. NBC could rip it away at any second.

--
Ed Dravecky
Dallas, Texas

David Risner

Sep 22, 2014, 12:07:08 AM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

I actually liked the A to Z pilot, so I'm giving it a chance for a few episodes. Otherwise, I agree with Ed's comments.

David Lynch

Sep 22, 2014, 9:05:14 AM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM, Ed Dravecky <drav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No
> 1. How To Get Away With Murder

This one intrigues me and the combo of Viola Davis and the Shondaland
machine means it should at least be better than 90% of what NBC has to
offer. Gets the 'record' for now on those strengths plus the
all-Shonda Rhimes lineup on Thursday night should keep it on the air
all season.

I'm giving HTGAWM a shot pretty much for that same reason. I tolerated three or four seasons of Grey's before deciding that it really wasn't the right show for me, and I keep hearing that I would like Scandal but at this point I'm not sure that I'm quite ready to marathon two seasons (and counting, starting this week) to get caught up.

The only other possibility on your No list is "Constantine" but I'm
still grieving the premature loss of "The Dresden Files" so my
optimism is cautious. NBC could rip it away at any second.

The big reason I have hope of Constantine lasting is that it's on Friday, which seems to have been anointed the night of the week for shows with audiences that are loyal but not particularly large or advertiser-friendly, and right after Grimm, which has managed to survive three years in the Friday at 9:00 slot. That said, I fear it won't last too long if they try to move it out of that slot to fill a hole in the schedule, which would be a logical thing to do to almost any other series.

(Seriously, I just looked at the schedule for Friday nights, and it's news mags (20/20 and Dateline), long-in-the-tooth reality stalwarts (The Amazing Race, Whose Line...?, Top Model), and "Is that still on?" (Hawaii Five-O, Grimm, Blue Bloods).)

--
David J. Lynch
djl...@gmail.com

Karen Owen

Sep 22, 2014, 9:56:05 PM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest moving up Gracepoint if you haven't already
seen Broadchurch. I liked Broadchurch and so did several
of my friends. I don't know if I'm going to try to watch it.

---

Jason Carpio

Sep 22, 2014, 10:18:56 PM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
My suggestion is to invest in a Hulu+ subscription.

Sep 22, 2014, 10:37:31 PM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
At the very least, it'll help with DVR conflicts and hdd space.

However with Gotham, give it 4 episodes. Before keeping it in the yes column.

My suggestion is to invest in a Hulu+ subscription.

I actually have one of those (at least for now). How do you think this will help me?

PGage

Sep 22, 2014, 10:44:59 PM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Jason Carpio <jca...@gmail.com> wrote:
At the very least, it'll help with DVR conflicts and hdd space.

However with Gotham, give it 4 episodes. Before keeping it in the yes column.

I see. Well, the Comcast On Demand seems to be about as helpful as Hulu for that kind of thing - as far as I can tell Hulu only goes back 5 episodes or so for current shows that it covers. I prefer though to have episodes of shows I am really following on my DVR; in most cases I let them build up and binge watch series one at a time, rather than just keeping up with a show week by week (a few exceptions for something like Mad Men or Breaking Bad). If I am not recording them, I often get more than 5 episodes behind and then can never catch up - and if I don't see it on my DVR I sometimes just forget to even watch them.

Michael

Sep 24, 2014, 2:46:10 AM9/24/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
After watching the pilot, I'd say that the script and overall concept of "Gotham" were incredibly heavy-handed as far as shoehorning in clumsily ret-conned "early" origins of Batman's Rogue's Gallery - although the art direction was good, Donal Logue was great as the corrupt cop Harvey Bullock, and the kids playing Selina "Catgirl" Kyle and young Master Bruce were quite appealing too. Ultimately, it was bullshit to this longtime comic book fan, while the pilot to "The Flash," although moderned-up, recalibarted and connected to The CW's post-"Smallville" Green Arrow series "Arrow," was far more satisfying and true to the source material.