Virginia TV crew involved in shooting on live TV - CNN.com

Trevor Tymchuk

Aug 26, 2015, 9:25:46 AM8/26/15
to TV or Not TV

Joe Hass

Aug 26, 2015, 9:34:59 AM8/26/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

Both dead.

http://nyti.ms/1KN2bLB

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015, 08:25 Trevor Tymchuk <trevor....@gmail.com> wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/26/us/virginia-shooting-wdbj/

Joe Hass

Aug 26, 2015, 10:15:43 AM8/26/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

Mathew Ingram at Fortune is reporting that CNN has announced they will only show the video once an hour. Which is very benevolent of them, considering they could do the only fucking human thing and not show the damned video at all.

Adam Bowie

Aug 26, 2015, 10:41:08 AM8/26/15
to tvornottv
What a cheery sight that will be in hotel receptions and airport lounges. Nothing like running what's essentially a snuff movie for everyone to watch.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Bob Jersey

Aug 26, 2015, 4:09:49 PM8/26/15
to TVorNotTV

Shooter was a former reporter who hadn't been employed by the station very long before getting canned.

He did the deed while holding his phone in the other hand.

He shot himself as well, fleeing from the cops.

Documents found in his car detailed various gripes.

CNN (link)

Kevin M.

Aug 26, 2015, 4:14:51 PM8/26/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
There is a general ugliness to days when stuff like this occurs. It makes me want to go hug a puppy or watch sea otters play.

Whatever justifications occur in newsrooms when they run footage like this, it is all BS. The public has a right to know. The public knows. The public has a right to know other things, but good luck with that today.

Oh, look, a puppy.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Bob Jersey

Aug 26, 2015, 5:05:31 PM8/26/15
to TVorNotTV

USA pee-arr quoted in THR (link):

"The previously filmed season finale of Mr. Robot contains a graphic scene similar in nature to today’s tragic events in Virginia. Out of respect to the victims, their families and colleagues, and our viewers, we are postponing tonight’s episode. Our thoughts go out to all those affected during this difficult time."

Variety (link) adds the wait will only be to next week.

Bob Jersey

Aug 26, 2015, 5:07:23 PM8/26/15
to TVorNotTV

Kevin M.

Aug 26, 2015, 5:09:12 PM8/26/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Translation: Our work of fiction might be too graphic and disturbing so we won't show it to you right now. In the meantime, we now return you to repeated airings of an actual murder, already in progress.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Kevin M.

Aug 26, 2015, 5:25:33 PM8/26/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The Poynter Institute posted an article arguing "it depends" whether it is newsworthy to air the footage.

http://www.poynter.org/news/mediawire/368905/should-you-use-the-video-and-the-fax-from-the-wdbj-shooting-that-depends/

Setting aside the idiot who wrote the piece advocates time delaying the news, there are some interesting stats in the article about how many journalists have been killed in the line of duty this year.

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

Henry Fung

Aug 26, 2015, 5:40:51 PM8/26/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The cafeteria at work decided to run soccer rather than CNN, probably for this reason. The video should be available online - including the one that the killer took, if someone wants to watch it - but it should not be on linear television.

Brad Beam

Aug 26, 2015, 6:04:06 PM8/26/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

I’m two markets and three hours’ drive away. So of course two of three local stations called “road trip”.

_  _

|_>|_>  Brad Beam- Belle WV

|_>|_>  http://www.facebook.com/74bmw

Mark Jeffries

Aug 27, 2015, 6:23:45 PM8/27/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
And I'm really glad I didn't sit near a CNN monitor at the airport yesterday.

BTW, ABC said on "GMA" this morning that they are not showing the video.

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com