Jon Stewart's Next Gig Appears To Be...

Joe Hass

Mar 3, 2015, 11:15:08 AM3/3/15
to TV Or Not TV
...the second coming Of Mean Gene Okerlund.

(For the record: I had no clue who Seth Rollins was until I saw this)

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/jon-stewart-just-kicked-seth-rollins-in-the-dick-1689067438

M-D November

Mar 3, 2015, 2:00:57 PM3/3/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The 'anatomy of a wrestling angle':
  1. Jon Stewart announces that he's leaving TDS at the end of the year.
  2. Seth Rollins, on the following week's Raw, in bragging about how amazing he is, says he can do Stewart's job better.
  3. Stewart replies via FaceTime, posted to TMZ. It's a nod to old school wrestling promos, and it's hilarious.  (It's also worth noting that TDS has used Mick Foley as a 'correspondent' on multiple occasions, so I suspect there might have been some coaching.)
  4. Rollins responds last Thursday's TDS, first by highjacking the "Moment of Zen", then by appearing on set with Stewart and challenging him to appear at Raw on 3/2.  Stewart accepts the challenge and attempts to jump on Rollins' back and apply a half-nelson.
  5. On last night's Raw, Rollins hosts a fake version of TDS (complete with actual graphics package and TMBG's recording of "Dog on Fire"), running down Stewart for (essentially) being an unfunny chickenshit.  Stewart shows up, taunts Rollins, and then calls him out on a very real aspect of his current angle (demonstrating that, unlike many people who appear on Raw, he actually watches the product). Rollins gets pissy, threatens to punch Stewart in the mouth, tries to corner him.  Queue the interruption by Randy Orton, and...

It's worth noting that this angle appears to have been done so Stewart could promote "Night of Too Many Stars" (as opposed to being a Lawler/Kaufman thing), although there's always the possibility that it could continue to an angle at Wrestlemania, since it's less than a month away and Stewart is hot in the demo.

David Bruggeman

Mar 3, 2015, 2:37:13 PM3/3/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Since Robert Smigel was on TDS to promote Night of Too Many Stars, I'm persuaded by M-D's point.
Jon has talked about watching wrestling with his son, so I wasn't surprised that he eventually showed up on one of the wrestling programs.  I don't follow WWE, but it was clear to me someone had done their homework when Jon was on the mike.

If TCR were still a thing, Stephen would probably have had to do some kind of lucha libre version of this involving Esteban Colberto.

David

Mar 3, 2015, 3:04:54 PM3/3/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the great background. Even without knowing it to be true, it seemed to be spot on (especially with the various references to the legends).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.