Quickie Review: Forever

Kevin M.

Sep 21, 2014, 11:31:43 PM9/21/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Do you remember the short-lived "New Amsterdam"?

The producers of "Forever" are hoping you don't, because they made a nearly exact clone of it.

Ed Dravecky

Sep 22, 2014, 12:02:45 AM9/22/14
to TV or Not TV
Kevin M. <drunkba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you remember the short-lived "New Amsterdam"?
> The producers of "Forever" are hoping you don't, because they made a nearly
> exact clone of it.

I am surprisingly okay with that notion. "New Amsterdam" is high on my
"Top 20 Reasons To Curse FOX That Do Not Include 'Firefly'". It's
right between failing to renew "Brisco County" and putting "Parker
Lewis Can't Lose" up against "60 Minutes".

--
Ed Dravecky
Dallas, Texas

David Risner

Sep 22, 2014, 12:03:45 AM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

I loved New Amsterdam, so I've been hoping Forever would be a lot like it like it seemed from the ads.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Kevin M.

Sep 22, 2014, 12:13:08 AM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 9:03 PM, David Risner <da...@risner.org> wrote:

I loved New Amsterdam, so I've been hoping Forever would be a lot like it like it seemed from the ads.

Almost the exact same script for the pilot. Easily the exact same premise/concept. Without a doubt the exact same characters. It is such a close match from concept through execution that it wouldn't shock me if a lawsuit becomes of it should this version succeed.

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

Doug Fields

Sep 22, 2014, 1:03:09 AM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

Warner Brothers was sent a cease & desist letter early this year when the show was first announced.  RadicalMedia has optioned the original novel (also titled “Forever”) by Pete Hamill and announced a couple of years ago that they were planning to produce an authorized TV version of the book along with Robert Redford’s Sundance Productions.

As already pointed out, the current series is almost identical to the earlier “New Amsterdam”…for which Hamill had also issued a cease & desist letter, but he let the matter drop when the show was cancelled after eight episodes before his legal reps could start legal proceedings.

http://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/2014/05/new-abc-series-is-it-too-simil/

Doug Fields

Tampa, FL

do...@flids.net

Sep 22, 2014, 9:18:42 AM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I guess it would've helped if I hadn't somehow edited out a little crucial information:

Actually the legal action that the show is involved in is its similarity to a novel ("coincidentally" also titled "Forever") that has a curiously similar theme of a man who was cursed by the original Native Americans on Manhattan Island in the 1600s, and will die if he ever leaves the island.  As I mentioned below, the original "New Amsterdan" TV show was a little too similar to the novel for the author's tastes, and he filed the first C&D letter back in 2007 (2008?).

Doug Fields
Tampa, FL

Karen Owen

Sep 22, 2014, 7:52:59 PM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On 9/21/2014 11:31 PM, Kevin M. wrote:
> Do you remember the short-lived "New Amsterdam"?
I thought it looked like a clone of "Forever Knight" where
the main character was a vampire who was a detective in
Toronto and solved his cases using his experiences from the
past (with flashbacks). I liked that one and will maybe try
watching Forever.

---

Kevin M.

Sep 22, 2014, 8:37:26 PM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Karen Owen <ko...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
On 9/21/2014 11:31 PM, Kevin M. wrote:
Do you remember the short-lived "New Amsterdam"?
I thought it looked like a clone of "Forever Knight" where
the main character was a vampire who was a detective in
Toronto and solved his cases using his experiences from the
past (with flashbacks).  I liked that one and will maybe try
watching Forever.

Forever Knight was my favorite "crimetime after primetime" series, but aside from the lead being in some way immortal, I saw little resemblance. Unless you consider Judd Hirsch to be Jeanette or Lacroix.

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

Karla S. Robinson, Ph.D.

Sep 27, 2014, 11:30:30 AM9/27/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

My own quickie review:  take a bit of Castle, mix with a smidgen of Forever Knight, add just a hint of Wolverine, sprinkle with a dose of British accent, and that gives you a pretty good approximation of this show.

Jon Delfin

Sep 27, 2014, 11:40:10 AM9/27/14
to tvornottv
You also need a truck, with which to measure the width of the holes in the logic of the story.

Karla S. Robinson, Ph.D.

Sep 28, 2014, 11:16:01 AM9/28/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

There were several of those “suspend all disbelief” moments in the story, and they were very glaringly large indeed.

1.       How does one keep hold of an antique watch, that one keeps on one’s person, when one regenerates in water, naked, and one’s clothes and personal effects are lost?

2.       How does one reach one’s “son” for pickup without any clothes, cellphone, or access to same?

3.       How does one avoid being thrown into protective custody when found naked in public by the police time and time again?

There are more, I’m sure, but that’s off the top of my head…