Re: [TV orNotTV] Digest for tvornottv@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 10 topics

Mark Smith

Nov 20, 2014, 10:40:28 PM11/20/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The Prez was carried live in English on Baltimore 11-1, the main channel and prime time was pushed back ~20 minutes.

On Thursday, November 20, 2014, <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com>: Nov 20 11:46AM -0800

Says an undetailed post on THR
<http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cbs-news-jeff-fager-steps-750791>
(link).

Tom Wolper <two...@gmail.com>: Nov 20 03:02PM -0500

> Says an undetailed post on THR
> <http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cbs-news-jeff-fager-steps-750791>
> (link).

I have a strong feeling that 60 Minutes has been struggling this season. I
hope having Fager come back full time will help it get back to the quality
it used to have.
Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com>: Nov 20 04:57PM -0800

TheWrap
<http://www.thewrap.com/jeff-fager-stepping-down-as-chairman-of-cbs-news/>
(link) adds that David Rhodes will be in charge, but not become chairman;
Fager and Les offer statements.

Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com>: Nov 20 04:52PM -0800

A temporary extension of the deadline is in place, says TheWrap
<http://www.thewrap.com/cbs-dish-network-agree-to-short-extension-carriage-fees-blackout/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mailchimp>
(link), without specifics.

Tom Wolper <two...@gmail.com>: Nov 20 03:37PM -0500

Univision and Telemundo will air it with subtitles. It's noted that the
White House did not request air time, which is always granted.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/19/media/networks-and-obama-speech/index.html
Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com>: Nov 20 01:30PM -0800

It's an un-pop speech about his un-pop plans to defy Congress. Still,
stations and networks found Net and digital-sidechannel space for it.

Tom Wolper <two...@gmail.com>: Nov 20 05:12PM -0500

> It's an un-pop speech about his un-pop plans to defy Congress. Still,
> stations and networks found Net and digital-sidechannel space for it.

Defying Congress? A bipartisan reform bill passed the senate by a wide
margin and almost half of the house would vote for it along party lines.
This issue has been moving to the top of the headlines for months and it's
going to have consequences for a large number of people. I don't see
anything about this speech which makes it less worthy than the state of the
union speech.
Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com>: Nov 20 04:47PM -0800

Tom Wolper, to *moi*:
> anything about this speech which makes it less worthy than the state of the
> union speech.

> I suffer from having people around me that only care about the rightie
pundits (e.g. Fixed Noise
<http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11/20/in-immigration-speech-obama-will-announce-protective-status-for-two-groups/>
[link]) who contend he will not wait for the bill to be passed, which won't
happen till after the 1st, and use his executive-action pen to do something
the bill may or may not do.

Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com>: Nov 20 04:37PM -0800

And I won't spoil what this NY Daily News piece
<http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/hugh-laurie-veep-article-1.2017985>
(link) contends is what he's doing.

Tom Wolper <two...@gmail.com>: Nov 20 04:22PM -0500

Since the CW ordered the new episodes I assume that they will be shot in
the US with American magicians. Also noted were new seasons for America's
Next Top Model and Masters of Illusion.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/cw-orders-more-americas-next-top-model-penn-teller-fool-us-masters-of-illusion-1201286963/
Mark Jeffries <spotl...@gmail.com>: Nov 20 01:03PM -0800

"Better Call Saul," the "Breaking Bad" spinoff tracing how small-time
lawyer Jimmy McGill became big bad criminal attorney Saul Goodman, will
premiere on Sun. Feb. 8 before going into its regular Monday night at 10
slot the following evening:

http://www.thewrap.com/better-call-saul-gets-two-night-premiere-for-february-releases-new-teaser-video/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mailchimp

"NCIS LA" and "Castle" probably don't have anything to worry about, but if
that Katherine Heigl show is on shaky ground, NBC ought to be worried,
especially if "The Voice" hasn't started its cycle yet.
PGage <pga...@gmail.com>: Nov 20 08:03AM -0800

Steve wrote...
After 20 years of fame, Clooney's humble personna may be fake, I don't
think Jennifer Lawrence's personna is fake. P

> Well if Lawrence's persona is fake, then she's an even better actress than
> I already thought she was.

I don't anybody could do the talk show circuit and be their "real self" -
most of the time. People get tired, cranky, depressed, anxious and fed up
in real life. So the question is not really whether a celebrity is "real",
but how likable is the persona they choose to adopt? For my money, the
personas of Clooney and Lawrence are very likable, and no less so when I
assume that they are somewhat different than their "real" every day selves.
Joe Hass <hassg...@gmail.com>: Nov 20 06:24PM

First, my apologies for being unclear on this (and I realized it when I was
standing in the Costco parking lot last night). I wasn't matching up Lohan
and Lawrence as actresses. Rather I was matching them as David Letterman
guests. My apologies.

Here is my extent of actual experience with Ms Lawrence's career: when Jack
Nicholson interrupted her interview with George Stephanopoulos after
winning the Oscar, and her interviews with Dave. She may be a lousy, lousy
actress, but she's an incredible guest, and Dave goes into a rare mode with
her that, as Tom noted, is at the Hunt/Garr level.

I know we all have our different modes for different situations. If she's
fundamentally different than this, then as Mr Bowie noted she's a helluva
actress.

PGage <pga...@gmail.com>: Nov 20 10:36AM -0800

> (SNIP) I know we all have our different modes for different situations. If
> she's fundamentally different than this, then as Mr Bowie noted she's a
> helluva actress.

She is a hell of an actress. As someone mentioned - exhibit A is "Winter's
Bone".
<do...@FLIDS.NET>: Nov 20 11:39AM -0700

I can point to that interview with Stephanopoulos as the moment that I fell completely in love with Lawrence. Nicholson tapped her on the shoulder to speak his congratulations to her, and she endearingly acted like a giddy school girl as she spoke to one of her apparently heroes. As he was finally walking away, he yelled "You look like an old girlfriend of mine" and J-Law had the presence of mind to switch into bawdy mode without missing a beat, and shouted back "do I look like a *new* girlfriend?" and then turned and squealed at Stephanopoulos like a 14-year-old girl.

I laughed out loud, first time I saw the exchange, and thought "that girl's gonna do all right."

Doug Fields

Tampa, FL