Kenan Thompson departure from SNL disputed

Bob Jersey

Sep 22, 2014, 9:00:29 PM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

TMZ (link): He wanted to split last year, Lorne talked him out of it, but now that the cast turnover has calmed down, no one is stopping him.

USA Today (link): NBC told them any cast decisions were made after the previous season ended, and Thompson was not one of them.

He'll be on the Today Show Thursday to promote the season opener.

Tom Wolper

Sep 22, 2014, 9:37:24 PM9/22/14
to TV or not TV
Let me clarify this: TMZ said Kenan will quit after this season. They said that he wanted to leave this past spring and Lorne talked him into another season. USA Today followed up with NBC and they said personnel decisions for next season will not
be made until after this season.

Dave Sikula

Sep 22, 2014, 11:40:05 PM9/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Since Kenan is currently the only watchable element on SNL, I shudder to think of what'll become without him.

--Dave Sikula

M-D November

Sep 23, 2014, 2:58:58 PM9/23/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I actually think the ensemble of female performers is one of the stronger groups of any gender they've had on SNL in a long while - they just need to find someone in the writers' room who can write for the female voice.  (Hint: more "(Do it) On My Twin Bed", less "Girlfriends Talk Show")

As far as Keenan, he never fails to make me laugh at least once an episode with nothing more than a take to the camera.  I was surprised to learn that not only is he the most senior member of the current SNL ensemble, he's also the longest-tenured cast member of color in the show's 40 year history.  (I thought for sure Tim Meadows was there longer...)  If he decides to leave, that's his call, but frankly I hope he stays for a while longer - at least long enough for Lorne to right the ship.

Michael

Sep 24, 2014, 2:52:14 AM9/24/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I concur that the female cast members are, in general, good - especially Kate McKinnon. I was skeptical at first, but McKinnon won me over quickly (with one line as the old Italian mama in the Jon Hamm - Lawrence Welk skit). She's fearless and funny and freaky. That said, I do agree that the writers need to step up their game.

Dave Sikula

Sep 24, 2014, 3:21:29 AM9/24/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
My opinion of McKinnon is that she's the perfect successor to Wiig: she plays everything exactly the same, yelling and forcing punchlines down the viewer;s throat with the subtlety and comedic chops of a rhinoceros.

--Dave Sikula

Michael

Sep 24, 2014, 8:30:33 AM9/24/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I'm not certain of much in this crazy ol' world, but I am sure that Kevin and Dave can't wait for the inevitable Alec Baldwin-Kristen Wiig film to come out.

Chris Neuman

Sep 24, 2014, 10:30:24 AM9/24/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
With Shannen Doherty in a small part as befits her talent.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

JW

Sep 24, 2014, 4:54:31 PM9/24/14
to tvornottv
> My opinion of McKinnon is that she's the perfect successor to Wiig: she
> plays everything exactly the same, yelling and forcing punchlines down the
> viewer;s throat with the subtlety and comedic chops of a rhinoceros.

I think of her as a modern day Cheri Oteri, where if a reaction is "funny", an overreaction is "hilarious".