Doctor falls from previous openers in homeland

Bob Jersey

Aug 25, 2014, 11:00:02 AM8/25/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Only 6.8 million folks tuned in to Peter Capaldi's debut, far from the 9.9M that welcomed Eccleston or the 7.7M that saw Matt Smith... the Variety (link) writer noted it's a holiday weekend in the UK, not a good thing for anyone's ratings...

Steve Timko

Aug 25, 2014, 11:21:21 AM8/25/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Matt Smith was wearing on me. I think this is the first time I've welcomed a change in doctors.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:
Only 6.8 million folks tuned in to Peter Capaldi's debut, far from the 9.9M that welcomed Eccleston or the 7.7M that saw Matt Smith... the Variety (link) writer noted it's a holiday weekend in the UK, not a good thing for anyone's ratings...

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Mark Jeffries

Aug 25, 2014, 12:46:33 PM8/25/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
And any U.S. network, broadcast or cable, would love to be able to get a 33 share for something else besides the Super Bowl.

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:
Only 6.8 million folks tuned in to Peter Capaldi's debut, far from the 9.9M that welcomed Eccleston or the 7.7M that saw Matt Smith... the Variety (link) writer noted it's a holiday weekend in the UK, not a good thing for anyone's ratings...

Brad Beam

Aug 25, 2014, 1:08:31 PM8/25/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

From: tvor...@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvor...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bob Jersey

>Only 6.8 million folks tuned in to Peter Capaldi's debut, far from the 9.9M that welcomed Eccleston or the 7.7M that saw Matt Smith... the Variety (link) writer noted it's a holiday weekend in the UK, not a good thing for anyone's ratings...

And it doesn’t get any easier in Week Two: After his failed American offensive, Simon Cowell returns home to “The X Factor” on ITV; the 11th series premiere will go up against the final 15 minutes of Dr House, er, “Doctor Who.”

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-08-20/its-capaldi-v-cowell-in-the-battle-of-saturday-night

_  _

|_>|_>  Brad Beam- Belle WV

|_>|_>  http://www.facebook.com/74bmw

Brad Beam

Aug 25, 2014, 5:21:31 PM8/25/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

From: tvor...@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvor...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bob Jersey

>Only 6.8 million folks tuned in to Peter Capaldi's debut, far from the 9.9M that welcomed Eccleston or the 7.7M that saw Matt Smith... the Variety (link) writer noted it's a holiday weekend in the UK, not a good thing for anyone's ratings...

Meanwhile, across the pond…

BBC Yank reports record series-premiere ratings of 2.6M* -- although the 50th anniversary special pulled in 3.6M (live/+5hr showings).

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/25/doctor-who-premiere-ratings/

*Per the article, this includes the first two replays Saturday.

David Bruggeman

Aug 25, 2014, 5:38:43 PM8/25/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I have to think the Simpsons marathon bit into at least some of that number.  I know my DVR had a workout that night.

David

Aug 27, 2014, 10:26:41 AM8/27/14
to tvornottv
Just having a quick look at the numbers, it looks like we can expect the Live+7 consolidated figure to jump by as much as 50% based on recent figures. I don't believe those figures will be out until the middle of next week though.

Steve Timko

Aug 27, 2014, 12:41:04 PM8/27/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

I caught the Dr. Who debut in a movie theater and it was an interesting experience.
As I was walking up to the theater, a pre-teen boy wearing a fez and a t-shirt that said "Bow Ties Are Cool" got out of an SUV. A quite attractive late teen female, also in a fez and wearing the same t-shirt approached, and said "thank you Mrs. Such-and-Such" and took the boy by the hand and led him into the theater. I saw other fez hats and bow ties. Even a couple of electronic screw drivers. A few seemed to be dressed like Tennant.
The movie had a intro by Strax as he reviews the different doctors. The few clue this wasn't an ordinary movie event came when they got to Tom Baker and the crowd cheered loudly. They were silent again until they got to Eccleston and the crowd cheered again, and cheered even louder for Tennant. Smith also got a loud cheer. Based on reaction it would be difficult to gauge if the crowd liked Tennant or Smith better. My favorite, Eccleston, was clearly third.
It was fun watching the movie with so many Dr. Who nerds. The enthusiasm was contagious. One problem is that the crowd laughed so hard and so long that they covered some of the dialogue.
I grew tired of Smith and this was the first time I've thought the change in doctors was an improvement. I like the tone they're setting with Capaldi. I particularly enjoyed the scene where the audience is closely scrutinizing Capaldi's face for a clue to what had just happened off camera and Capaldi turns and looks at the camera with a dark, angry stare.

*****MINOR SPOILER******

It's clear that in trying to get Clara to accept the new doctor that they are really trying to get the audience to accept a new doctor after two progressively younger ones. I hope it succeeds.

Kevin M.

Aug 27, 2014, 9:38:14 PM8/27/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Am I misremembering or did this doctor only commit to a single season? If that's the case, I wouldn't bother getting too attached to him either.
Kevin M. (RPCV)

David Bruggeman

Aug 27, 2014, 9:49:04 PM8/27/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Capaldi only recently extended his contract for a second series/season

David