Hogan, WWE parting

Bob Jersey

Jul 24, 2015, 3:00:21 PM7/24/15
to TVorNotTV

It's TMZ (link), but...: Apparently further scrutiny of that secret s_x tape revealed multiple N-word use to describe a feller of colour who was dating his daughter Brooke... B

Tom Wolper

Jul 24, 2015, 4:18:19 PM7/24/15
to TV or not TV
On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:

It's TMZ (link), but...: Apparently further scrutiny of that secret s_x tape revealed multiple N-word use to describe a feller of colour who was dating his daughter Brooke... B

Parting doesn't seem to describe it as WWE is erasing any mention of him from their archives and pushing him down the memory hole.

Steve Timko

Jul 24, 2015, 4:54:08 PM7/24/15
to 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV, 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV

Hogan has been in financial trouble for years. He did bottom of the barrel TV ads and came through Reno this year promoting midget wrestling.  I'll bet there's lots more and they were looking for a reason to cut ties.

Sent from TypeMail

Kevin M.

Jul 24, 2015, 5:03:52 PM7/24/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I confess, I stopped watching professional wrestling in the 5th grade. Are any of the original WWF players still active in the WWE besides Hogan?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Steve Timko

Jul 24, 2015, 5:11:35 PM7/24/15
to 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV

According to Ron Funches' Twitter feed,
The undertaker just beat Brock Lesner
Sent from TypeMail

M-D November

Jul 25, 2015, 12:26:14 AM7/25/15
to TVorNotTV
YACS. WWE is exercising the nuclear option, just as they did after it was discovered Chris Benoit killed his wife and kid. It takes a lot for them to go that far.

M-D November

Jul 25, 2015, 12:32:15 AM7/25/15
to TVorNotTV
Not likely. Hogan had a lucrative "legends" contract, was acting as an ambassador for the WWE Network, and he's been appearing on the revived "Tough Enough". Hogan didn't have a need to take independent bookings. But WWE is a publicly traded company, and while s** tapes are almost passé in 2015, racist comments are a major hot button issue. Obviously WWE execs were up against the wall, or they wouldn't have executed the nuclear option on one of their most recognizable and bankable stars (even considering his knees and hips are shot and he's 25 years past his prime).

M-D November

Jul 25, 2015, 12:42:30 AM7/25/15
to TVorNotTV
The only guys from the 80s/"Rock & Wrestling Era" who show up with any regularity are (were?) Hogan, Undertaker, and Bret Hart. Hogan hasn't been an active wrestler in years (due to injury), but he remained valuable to WWE from a marketing perspective. Bret is also medically unable to wrestle, but occasionally shows up to give a wrestler the "rub" (endorsement)...usually when WWE visits Canada. 'Taker is still active, but only on a very occasional basis, due to cumulative injuries - in recent years he's only wrestled one match a year (at Wrestlemania).

(Edit: forgot about Roddy Piper and Ric Flair, both of whom have appeared with decreasing frequency of late.)

There are a bunch of classic WWF guys working as agents behind the curtain - Ricky Steamboat probably to most prominent among them. Dusty Rhodes was overseeing the NXT developmental territory when he passed last month.

Joe Coughlin

Jul 25, 2015, 4:44:30 PM7/25/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Flair's appearing more as his daughter Charlotte, the former NXT
women's champion, was just promoted to the main WWE roster. The
money's currently on him to replace Hogan on Tough Enough (which has
been pulled from On Demand services).
> --
> --
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Joe Coughlin
http://www.twitter.com/inturnaround

M-D November

Jul 27, 2015, 12:08:46 AM7/27/15
to TVorNotTV
Flair's a logical choice to replace Hogan on TE if he's available; otherwise they might just bring someone from the Performance Center/NXT, since the show tapes at Full Sail.

FWIW, the existing season of TE isn't available on WWEN either, although I'm not sure if that's the Hogan purge at work or if the same rules for Raw & Smackdown replays also applies here. (WWE's contract with NBCU prohibits replays on WWEN until 30 days after air on USA/SyFy.)