Thunderbirds to be Go again on Amazon Prime Video

Bob Jersey

Feb 11, 2016, 1:00:21 PM2/11/16
to TVorNotTV

Apparently Gerry Anderson's designs have been well-preserved all these years, and the Supermarionation classic was revived last year by a New Zealand firm on ITV in Britain... the 'zon popped for four seasons, tho only one has aired there... Wiki on the new series (link), TVWeek report (link)

Adam Bowie

Feb 11, 2016, 1:38:46 PM2/11/16
to tvornottv

It's worth mentioning that the New Zealand company actually doing the combination of model work and CGI is Weta Workshop - aka the Peter Jackson company that did SFX work on The Lord of the Rings!

It's a decent kids series similar in  tone to the original, and excellently made. I think ITV missed a trick running it in a kids breakfast block alongside the usual cartoons. I reckon there's definitely adult crossover appeal.

Worth checking out if you ever enjoyed Anderson's puppet series from the sixties and seventieth. And if you did enjoy them, there's also a great documentary called Made in Supermarionation that covers the history of these shows. Worth seeking out.

Adam

On 11 Feb 2016 18:00, "Bob Jersey" <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:

Apparently Gerry Anderson's designs have been well-preserved all these years, and the Supermarionation classic was revived last year by a New Zealand firm on ITV in Britain... the 'zon popped for four seasons, tho only one has aired there... Wiki on the new series (link), TVWeek report (link)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Mark Jeffries

Feb 11, 2016, 5:57:41 PM2/11/16
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Is the Lady Penelope song the closing theme music like the original?  I assume that Barry Gray's original opening theme is used in this version.

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com

Bob Jersey

Feb 11, 2016, 7:28:48 PM2/11/16
to TVorNotTV

Mark Jeffries, to Adam and moi:
Is the Lady Penelope song the closing theme music like the original?  I assume that Barry Gray's original opening theme is used in this version.

The Wiki cited the Fosters, Ben and Nick (see Dr. Who and Torchwood) with the tunes.

Here's an article (link) from a New Zealand paper with a few pictures. I wasn't expecting strings, obviously, but they look fairly faithful.

Adam Bowie

Feb 12, 2016, 3:04:13 PM2/12/16
to tvornottv
The new version of the Barry Gray opening theme is very close to the original, but updated a little. Indeed, a little like they did with Hawaii Five O, the opening credits actually closely mirror those of the original series. It's on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQwgIZ__WrY

I'm not sure what you mean about the Lady Penelope song. The original series ended with the main theme. There was a song called Parker, Well Done (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bkTY8YHFWY), but I'm not sure that was ever used in the series and was more of a B side for 7" of the main theme. It also appears on No Strings Attached, the Gray/Anderson collection.

Kevin M.

Feb 12, 2016, 3:10:58 PM2/12/16
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
A more faithful recreation than the artists-formerly-known-as-Top-Gear-presenters did:

https://youtu.be/91qQjMdxByM

Though James May got the walk correct.
--
Kevin M. (RPCV)