[TV orNotTV] Amazon Planning Ad-Supported Move Against Netflix

PGage

Nov 24, 2014, 4:17:21 AM11/24/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
This story is from Friday but I did not see it until this evening. Amazon has announced that it will offer an ad-supported streaming service, separate from Prime, that analysts think would be a real threat to Netflix:

What I have not been able to find is how it would differ from Prime. Apparently they will be trying to "up-sell" people to Prime, so they will be keeping it, and I assume some content will only be available on Prime, but which (e.g. what about Amazon's access to HBO's library?).

The real issue here is, how much of their customer behavior data will they be sharing with advertisers, and how much will they try to use their retailing muscle to increase their market share in streaming (see their hard ball tactics with book publishers, as highlighted by Colbert)?