Extra music from Letterman's Christmas show

David Bruggeman

Dec 22, 2014, 1:34:23 AM12/22/14
to Tvornottv

Done during setups for Ms. Love.

As for why Craig F. didn't get a mention that night, I'm guessing the flow on their end didn't provide a good spot for it.  Now there's been speculation that things between WWP and the LLS crew have cooled over the years, but I have no idea if it's true.  One could just as well think that the gradual weaning of the LLS from the WWS stable was connected to Dave's eventual departure.

David

Ron Casalotti

Dec 22, 2014, 9:33:12 AM12/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com, dbr...@alumni.whitman.edu, bru...@yahoo.com
I felt a definite undercurrent of anger during Craig's final show directed towards the WWP team. No mention of Dave or WWP in the closer, Lots of hints about doing something very similar on some other network (or syndication). No visit by Dave during Craig's stretch run, despite 10 years of success for WWP. And how about having Dave's late night nemesis (regardless of his current state of employ) Jay Leno as the final guest? Can you think of a bigger cumulative F-you? I can't.

Ron Casalotti
Wayne, NJ

Joe Hass

Dec 22, 2014, 12:23:09 PM12/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Having enjoyed that musical clip *tremendously*, I have this thought:

I wonder how history will handle Paul Schaffer. It's easy to think "Dave's Wacky Sidekick" for 32 years, but my God, when there's something serious involved in music over the past nearly four decades, Schaffer's likely there. You see him in this moment, handling things like a traffic cop while a touch of insanity bounces around him, and it's flawless. It's amazing. I love it.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Bradford

Dec 22, 2014, 1:51:13 PM12/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
  I would hope that history spells Mr. Shaffer's name correctly.

No virus found in this message.

Joe Hass

Dec 22, 2014, 2:00:01 PM12/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
DAMMIT! I mean...yes, I hope so, too.

Mark Jeffries

Dec 22, 2014, 6:06:49 PM12/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Despite the spelling, I have seen some hipsters dismiss Paul as a "hack" in some quarters. I would hope this video would dispel some of that and it's great that Dave has been able to give Paul the indulgences every so often--something I'm not sure the other shows would give to their bandleaders, although Questlove would probably not ask for any.

Somehow, something is telling me that Colbert will reach to some piano player he worked with at Second City for his show, although if it's the one woman I'm thinking of (Lisa McQueen, a phenomenal musician who has mostly worked at the Annoyance and is often better than the shows she accompanies), it would be a great choice.

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com

Kevin M.

Dec 22, 2014, 6:13:22 PM12/22/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
More than anything, this clip shows me somebody who genuinely loves his job. With all the talk of how Letterman has changed over the years, and there is a fair argument to be made that Dave isn't as clever or cutting as he once was, I don't think anybody could make that claim of Paul.
Kevin M. (RPCV)

David Bruggeman

Dec 23, 2014, 1:27:27 AM12/23/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I'd think that Paul and Doc are 1 and 1a for late night musical talent that contributed other things to their shows.  The Roots are probably a rising number 2, at least given the amount of original music they were contributing to Late Night (and possibly Tonight, but I have no idea).  But that gap is large, not least of which is due to time served.

Max Weinberg is arguably more of a wacky sidekick than Paul ever was (Doc didn't interact on air with Johnny nearly as much).  But I don't know how involved he was in the musical direction/management of the show as he was effectively inserted into Jimmy Vivino's band.

David

Dec 23, 2014, 3:06:19 AM12/23/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The Zelig of rock era bandleaders.