Colbert live post Super Bowl review

Steve Timko

Feb 8, 2016, 1:24:11 PM2/8/16
to 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV

Mixed feelings about the show.
Overall,  I liked the comedy. Even the taped bits on a live show. Tina Fey was a solid A list talk show guest and seemed more comfortable with Colbert than Letterman and even Fallon and Meyers. Margot Robbie is dense but solid eye candy.
That satellite interview with the MVP was the biggest stumble of the show. I imagine some exec thinking that up and using synergy a lot.
Will Ferrell was great. That may have been my favorite Ferrell appearance on a talk show.
Key and Peele was also a winner for me.
Megyn Kelly was a disappointment.  Maybe she's tired of talking about Trump.

Sent from TypeApp

PGage

Feb 8, 2016, 1:46:48 PM2/8/16
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I am a huge Colbert fan and have seen almost every episode of both his CC and CBS shows, but you liked the live post-SB show a lot more than I did. Technically it seemed a bit of a mess, and not as much in a "isn't live TV funny" kind of way as they seemed to be hoping. It also seemed to be too much of what it was, which was an extended, opportunistic, almost desperate infomercial for Late Night.I wonder how many eyeballs were really watching anyway - I think it started around 10:30 ET; most football fans would have switched to ESPN or elsewhere to see more postgame coverage, and Coldplay fans went back to take their naps.I always like Fey - I am not sure whey they had her on with Robbie; that felt awkward and forced to me, without much obvious chemistry. Seems like the movie would have been better served by Fey last night and a separate interview with Robbie later in the week (or are they not doing any new shows this week?). Colbert is not a sports fan (unlike say, Jimmy Kimmell) and it always shows. I get why they wanted to use that apparently huge audience to market the show, but I don't see doing it live to have been a critical factor, and I think they would have been better off doing a great show and using that to attract new viewers. If they had to do something live, better to put Colbert in Santa Clara, interviewing athletes and celebs and making fun of the hoopla.

The main thing that I was impressed with was the band, which I don't remember liking as much ever before. Was something different?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

M-D November

Feb 8, 2016, 3:11:32 PM2/8/16
to TVorNotTV
On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 1:46:48 PM UTC-5, PGage wrote:

The main thing that I was impressed with was the band, which I don't remember liking as much ever before. Was something different?

Well, it appears they're allowed to play actual songs for guest walk-ons now, as opposed to bizarre jazz odysseys written by their bass player.  So that's something.

Mark Jeffries

Feb 8, 2016, 4:20:17 PM2/8/16
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
"Late Show" started at 10:54 and pulled over 21M viewers, including the highest in the money demos for the franchise since Letterman's first episode in 1993.  It's a little better than CBS' last Super Bowl post-game in 2013, "Elementary."  And it's obviously the best numbers Colbert has seen yet.  Enough stayed after the game.  (Corden, after Colbert and either local news or a "Big Bang Theory" rerun--and note that Colbert ran about 15 minutes over--pulled almost 5M viewers, about what SCG got for "LLS" post-Super Bowl in 2013.)

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com

David Lynch

Feb 8, 2016, 4:37:00 PM2/8/16
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I'd just like to know whether anyone in whatever department at CBS sends out schedules to the listings services seriously thought that Colbert was going to start at 10:00 Eastern, when the game didn't kick off until after 6:30. Usually, it seems like the post-game, post-ceremony shows are scheduled for 10:30 and that usually ends up being overly optimistic. Based on the timing of the start and Colbert running over his allotted hour, it sounds like not even the 60 minutes of padding I put on my recording of Corden before I went to bed will be enough to get all of it.
David J. Lynch
djl...@gmail.com

David Bruggeman

Feb 8, 2016, 5:49:39 PM2/8/16
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
This use of recognizable tunes is pretty recent - within the last week of shows.  Friday, since Beethoven and Mozart were part of the Friday Night Fights segment, the band played some of their pieces during the remainder of the show.

I am assuming some money has been cleared up to handle the rights fees.  Maybe they have finally stabilized the roster of musicians backing up the band and can use some money on music.
There's now an EP out of band music from The Late Show - https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-late-show-ep/id1079053639  (all the tracks are also available via YouTube).

FWIW, there's a repeat on Friday, but the rest of the week should be new shows.

David

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 1:46:48 PM UTC-5, PGage wrote:

The main thing that I was impressed with was the band, which I don't remember liking as much ever before. Was something different?

Well, it appears they're allowed to play actual songs for guest walk-ons now, as opposed to bizarre jazz odysseys written by their bass player.  So that's something.

Brad Beam

Feb 8, 2016, 6:01:33 PM2/8/16
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

From: tvor...@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvor...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of David Lynch

>I'd just like to know whether anyone in whatever department at CBS sends out schedules to the listings services seriously thought that Colbert was going to start at 10:00 Eastern, when the game didn't kick off until after 6:30. Usually, it seems like the post-game, post-ceremony shows are scheduled for 10:30 and that usually ends up being overly optimistic. Based on the timing of the start and Colbert running over his allotted hour, it sounds like not even the 60 minutes of padding I put on my recording of Corden before I went to bed will be enough to get all of it.

Fun with numbers, for what it’s worth.

Via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_lead-out_programs, here’s the actual start times for the post-SB show:

10:18

XXXIV

ABC

10:19

XXXV

CBS

10:38

XXXVI

Fox

11:15

XXXVII

ABC

10:58

XXXVIII

CBS

10:45

XXXIX

Fox

10:05

XL

ABC

10:20

XLI

CBS

10:30

XLII

Fox

10:45

XLIII

NBC

10:15

XLIV

CBS

10:35

XLV

Fox

10:15

XLVI

NBC

11:15

XLVII

CBS

10:20

XLVIII

Fox

10:38

XLIX

NBC

10:54

50

CBS

Some notes:

ABC had both the earliest (10:05) and latest (11:15, tied with CBS’ XLVII) individual starts, and tied with NBC for the earliest average start (10:32:40). Fox was 56 seconds behind (10:33:36), while CBS had the latest average start (10:40:10).

_  _

|_>|_>  Brad Beam- Belle WV

|_>|_>  http://www.facebook.com/74bmw

Jon Delfin

Feb 8, 2016, 7:29:06 PM2/8/16
to tvornottv
You read my mind. Thanks for digging this up.

I presume these are actual times, and not adjusted for kickoff-creep (the game used to start earlier than it does now; I'm remembering 6:17, but I might be imagining it).

Steve Timko

Feb 8, 2016, 8:04:17 PM2/8/16
to 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV, 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV

The starting time hasn't changed for at least a couple of decades.

Sent from TypeApp

Brad Beam

Feb 8, 2016, 9:06:45 PM2/8/16
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

The starting time hasn't changed for at least a couple of decades.

Dave Sikula

Feb 9, 2016, 4:47:38 AM2/9/16
to TVorNotTV
Personally, I thought it was something of a train wreck, from Colbert's confusion at the beginning over whether they should continue with the show or go to break, the unnecessary segmentation of the Fey/Robbie panel, and the hideously unfunny Ferrell panel (I realize that's redundant) that was saved from being the worst thing on the show only by the endless Key and Peele bit and the lousy musical guest (a tradition that Cobert's continued from Dave). I think Colbert's doing a good job of finding his show, but this didn't help.

--Dave Sikula

JW

Feb 9, 2016, 5:21:50 AM2/9/16
to tvornottv
> Colbert is not a sports fan (unlike say, Jimmy Kimmell) and it always shows.

Exactly. The only problem with him not being a fan is when he has to pretend he is.

The value of going on live after the Super Bowl is the ability to reference what happened in the game and on the broadcast. If Colbert is unsuited to do that, find a correspondent (be it an employee of the show or a friend) to report from the site and do interviews; for that matter, they could have used those kinds of spots in the week prior to the game. This may be where not really establishing anyone else on the staff as an on-air personality hurts.

And, if they're not going to do any of that, they should just pretape the show, have some fun with the idea that it's prerecorded (like they did with congratulating "the winning team" in the tossing-the-football segment), and make it an all-star version of a normal show.

David Bruggeman

Feb 9, 2016, 10:17:46 AM2/9/16
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Doubling down on the Key and Peele stuff last night struck me as completely wrongheaded, especially when the first part of Monday night's piece appeared to be the same as the first part of Sunday's piece but from a different angle.
There was a musical guest Sunday night?

While I don't know if it would have helped, I don't think the show had enough time to give the SB show extra attention.  They ran a repeat on January 29, and taped at least the February 5 show early but were otherwise doing a regular schedule.  Using more repeats to focus on the SB show seems reasonable, and (I'm guessing) has been done before, at least for when Ferguson did The Late Late Show from New Orleans (2013) and Miami (2007).

David