EW Seems to think NBC has axed the haircut

David Bruggeman

Jun 29, 2015, 2:28:33 PM6/29/15
to Tvornottv
EW is reporting that NBC has severed its relationship with The Donald, and will follow Univision in not broadcasting the Miss Universe pageant.  I've not been able to find the statement referenced in this piece.  As of when I'm typing this, no other outlet is running with the news.

David

Tom Wolper

Jun 29, 2015, 2:43:35 PM6/29/15
to TV or not TV
On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 2:28 PM, 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
EW is reporting that NBC has severed its relationship with The Donald, and will follow Univision in not broadcasting the Miss Universe pageant.  I've not been able to find the statement referenced in this piece.  As of when I'm typing this, no other outlet is running with the news.

Here's the statement and a link from NBC:

NBC STATEMENT REGARDING DONALD TRUMP

Press Release

June 29, 2015

At NBC, respect and dignity for all people are cornerstones of our values.

Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump.

To that end, the annual Miss USA and Miss Universe Pageants, which are part of a joint venture between NBC and Trump, will no longer air on NBC.

In addition, as Mr. Trump has already indicated, he will not be participating in “The Apprentice” on NBC.

“Celebrity Apprentice” is licensed from Mark Burnett's United Artists Media Group and that relationship will continue.

- See more at: http://www.nbcuniversal.com/press-release/nbc-statement-regarding-donald-trump#sthash.TesJhDPJ.dpuf

Mark Jeffries

Jun 29, 2015, 3:31:31 PM6/29/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Meanwhile, Trump says that he dumped NBC, not vice versa:

Well, who's going to telecast Miss USA/Universe now?  Fox News Channel?

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Tom Wolper

Jun 29, 2015, 4:20:12 PM6/29/15
to TV or not TV
On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Mark Jeffries <spotl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Meanwhile, Trump says that he dumped NBC, not vice versa:

Well, who's going to telecast Miss USA/Universe now?  Fox News Channel?

It's less than two weeks away. If I didn't despise Trump so much and felt that Miss USA had some value, i would follow the story just to see how it plays out. When you mentioned Telemundo taking the show, early in the thread, I wondered but did not post about what is already on Telemundo's schedule on July 12 and how those programs' viewers would feel about having their show(s) pre-empted by a Trump production. Now the Trump organization has to find some cable channel that will drop its scheduled programming that night for him and sell advertising.

Kevin M.

Jun 29, 2015, 9:21:02 PM6/29/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I would, of course, never imply the "scholarship competitions" are rigged in any way, but what do you want to bet a Latina finds a crown atop her head because in somebody's world, that would make up for racist comments by a purported presidential candidate?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Tom Wolper

Jun 29, 2015, 10:50:55 PM6/29/15
to TV or not TV
On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Kevin M. <drunkba...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would, of course, never imply the "scholarship competitions" are rigged in any way, but what do you want to bet a Latina finds a crown atop her head because in somebody's world, that would make up for racist comments by a purported presidential candidate?

If there are no accountability mechanisms built in to the judging it would not be hard to arrange the outcome of the vote. If it were to be done I think it would be to encourage Latinas to continue competing, not to make up for a sponsor's remarks. And maybe give some justification to the pageant's advertisers.

Kevin M.

Jun 29, 2015, 11:06:13 PM6/29/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
It just became more difficult for my prediction to come true. Mexico has withdrawn Miss Mexico from the Miss Universe pageant. There's always Brazil.

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)