More from Noah at TCA

David Bruggeman

Jul 29, 2015, 5:18:22 PM7/29/15
to Tvornottv
EW's coverage focuses on what will change and what will not (mostly Noah's perspective and choices, not the people).  While not mentioned in this piece, it has been reported that the current roster of correspondents and contributors will not change when Noah takes the chair in September.

There's also Noah's take on the Stewart/Cenac dispute.

David

Doug Fields

Jul 29, 2015, 7:15:10 PM7/29/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

Correct me if I’m wrong, but with the recent departures of Sam Bee and Jason Jones (and Noah’s own promotion to host), the correspondent pool now numbers only three regulars: Jessica Williams, Jordan Klepper and Hasan Minhaj.  Even with occasional drive-by appearances by the likes of Al Madrigal and Aasif Mandvi, it would appear that they’re going to need at least a couple of additions to the cast, just to flesh out the players back toward the days when there were five or six regulars.  At the very least, there is currently (for the first time in the history of the show) no one on staff to handle those stories that might require a Caucasian female viewpoint.

Doug Fields

Tampa, FL

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

PGage

Jul 29, 2015, 7:23:37 PM7/29/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Doug Fields <do...@flids.net> wrote:

... At the very least, there is currently (for the first time in the history of the show) no one on staff to handle those stories that might require a Caucasian female viewpoint.

They can always adopt SNL's strategy for years when dealing with a similar problem for Black women - put Klepper in a wig and a dress...

do...@flids.net

Jul 29, 2015, 7:43:57 PM7/29/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
hah...I could actually envision that as a successful bit, unto itself. :)

Doug Fields
Tampa, FL

David Bruggeman

Jul 29, 2015, 7:51:27 PM7/29/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
They didn't bother with a costume in a piece involving Rachel Dolezal.  They also didn't go for the two-fer.

David

Jul 30, 2015, 2:27:10 AM7/30/15
to TV or Not TV
Doug Fields <do...@flids.net> wrote:
> At the very least, there is currently
> (for the first time in the history of the show) no one on staff to handle
> those stories that might require a Caucasian female viewpoint.

Kristen Schaal has been filling that role for a while now and as long
as her complicated filming and voicework schedule permits I can't see
why she wouldn't keep doing it through the transition years. (Jon
inherited most of Craig's staff and correspondents but slowly retooled
the show to fit himself. It looks like Trevor will do the same.)

--
Ed Dravecky
Dallas, Texas

do...@flids.net

Jul 30, 2015, 10:41:53 AM7/30/15
to drav...@gmail.com, tvor...@googlegroups.com
In the lingo of "The Daily Show" Kristen's never been a "correspondent" (who reports a story in front of a green screen or in a pre-taped remote), but rather a recurring "contributor," in the style of Lewis Black, who performs the fake-news equivalent of an editorial from the home base desk.

Doug Fields
Tampa, FL

Jul 30, 2015, 12:11:12 PM7/30/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:
Remembering to untick the CC's this time... {headhurt}

Tim Goodman on THR (link) plays the pessimist as to Noah's future success, contending that while some of previous hosts' fans always eventually discover the newer ones, enough will pass on him, and as related technology progresses, those that stay will do so mainly via the online route... which will also work out well for Oliver.

Goodman's column is the kind of thing that really irritates me about opinion "journalism" these days. It pretends to be expert, critical reflection and analysis, but is just cherry picking. It is the equivalent of a sports columnist writing a piece that says that yes, the Yankees may win more games this season, but in their expert opinion they are unlikely to score as many as 21 runs in the same game again.

It is a safe bet that the ratings for Noah's TDS will be lower than Stewart's. That would be true without any role played by fickle millennials or a la carte media options or invoking neo-phobia and the psychology of the familiar. Stewart did something unusual in taking a small basic cable show and giving it numbers that approached the big networks. It is unlikely that anyone, including himself, would ever do that, and all the more so that anyone would do it again.

The pro analysis here is not "Noah's ratings will be lower than Stewart's" - we all know that. What would be helpful is some a priori benchmark that would allow us to make a judgement about how well Noah is doing. If 3 months in Noah's ratings are 25% lower than Stewart, would that be good or bad?

We have a marker by looking at Wilmore - his ratings have been about 40% lower than Colbert's. That is not a perfect model - I think Stewart probably has a "bigger tent" than Colbert did, and because of that may be likely to bleed off more viewers when the one personality that bound them together is gone. OTOH, Wilmore is arguably more different from Colbert than Noah is from Stewart, so there is a chance he can hold on to more of the original audience.

Until somebody gives me a better benchmark, I will be using 40% as the mark of minimal success for Noah. At the 3 month mark, if his ratings are no more than 40% reduced from Stewart's, I will think that he is on the right track (I would like to know what percent of Stewart's salary Noah is making).

David Bruggeman

Jul 30, 2015, 12:49:33 PM7/30/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
If the TV Guide number of $25-30 million is accurate for Stewart, I'd wager Noah will pull around 10 percent of that.  Corden is rumored to pull down around $2.5 million.

I think the 40 percent reduction is a good figure.  I am interested to see what happens to Wilmore's ratings in September, both when Colbert starts on the 8th and Noah starts on the 28th.

David