NBC now thinks it's late night slate too good for free online

David Bruggeman

Sep 25, 2014, 9:08:50 PM9/25/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Not too long ago it was CBS who didn't have many episodes of its late night programs available via its website and app.  At the same time, NBC kept its programs for weeks before they went away.

That has recently flipped.  In catching up with all of Craig F's promotional appearances for Celebrity Name Game, I noticed that the NBC shows now disappear (or go to Hulu +) after a week, and you can usually count on CBS having a couple of weeks of Craig or Dave available.

Kimmel's program apparently splits the difference.  Website has a couple of weeks, Hulu only has the last week's for free.

Perhaps NBC is thinking the renewed attention to its late night program, and their big presence online, can be leveraged into getting more eyeballs to a for-pay provider.  I suppose it's worth testing out, but I don't know how many online clip watchers will be really interested in catching the full episode of a late night program.

In a related note (since Craig was on it), I have discovered that The Chew is that rare daytime talk program that doesn't rankle me in the slightest.

David

Kevin M.

Sep 25, 2014, 9:31:03 PM9/25/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I may never be able to prove it, but I am convinced Facebook is paid (a lot) to make clips of Fallon's show "trending" on the right column of the newsfeed. It is on there almost daily, but it is never trending on Twitter. Normally something that goes naturally viral hits all social media in equal measure. I think there's a payoff taking place... that trending media isn't necessarily chosen by click-count or actual popularity.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

John Edwards

Sep 25, 2014, 9:52:52 PM9/25/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Given Facebook's throttling of non-paying Pages, it's almost certain that somebody is paying them to make Fallon "trend" - or at least enough to put him into enough newsfeeds that it will generate a "Trending" mention.

Mind you, Facebook's "trending" yesterday mixed up P.K. Subban (who plays for the Montreal Canadiens) with his brother Jordan Subban (who plays for Vancouver, and was actually the "trending" story), so I'm not entirely sure how smart it is.

John
John Edwards
"You can insure against the weather, but you can't insure against incompetence, can you?" - Phil Tufnell

Joe Hass

Sep 26, 2014, 9:53:19 AM9/26/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Without disputing your theory, I think Fallon's videos do better on Facebook than Twitter because of the nature of Facebook vs Twitter, both in audience and technical ability.