Free backstage tour of the Conan studio...

Kevin M.

Jul 18, 2014, 11:07:18 PM7/18/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
... courtesy Weird Al Yankovic

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

David Bruggeman

Jul 19, 2014, 12:11:02 AM7/19/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Whatever you may think of the new album, Al is promoting Mandatory Fun in a very impressive fashion.

The video for this tune is perhaps more impressive than this performance.

David

FWIW, my favorite so far is Sports Song, which premiered today on Funny or Die.

Jul 19, 2014, 7:10:35 AM7/19/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

A brief point of clarification:

You, as a creator, do not create a "viral" strategy. You can create something and, if you're lucky, it will go viral, but you can't go into the process thinking "we're going to make a viral video". That's not how it works.

Yankovic's strategy was to release a video a day. The fact they've taken off the way they have is a testament to how great they are.

Kevin M.

Jul 19, 2014, 12:25:32 PM7/19/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 4:10 AM, Joe Hass <hassg...@gmail.com> wrote:

A brief point of clarification:

You, as a creator, do not create a "viral" strategy. You can create something and, if you're lucky, it will go viral, but you can't go into the process thinking "we're going to make a viral video". That's not how it works.

Yankovic's strategy was to release a video a day. The fact they've taken off the way they have is a testament to how great they are.

Respectfully disagree. While there is luck involved, as there is an any marketing ploy, the execution of potentially viral media is a learned and skilled a craft, as is any other form of advertising. While memes are sometimes the result of random chance, in this case the release of the videos was carefully orchestrated to go viral. Partnering with groups like FoD and Conan, getting certain nexus-like people on social media to share the links (never any way to know which of those people get a check for sharing, but I suspect that will soon change). This was planned with near-military precision. It's much better and wider reacging than Fallon's people simply paying Facebook to pretend clips from his show are "trending topics."

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

M-D November

Jul 19, 2014, 10:53:05 PM7/19/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I think of what you describe more as "popular" media. Viral media, at least in the strictest sense, is never created with the thought "we're going to make this go viral" in mind. "Popular" media is often shared in the same channels as viral media, but comes from a place of intentional mass consumption.

JW

Jul 20, 2014, 6:00:28 AM7/20/14
to tvornottv
I think at this point, viral is something that spreads quickly through the entire population, whether or not anybody intended it to. (I'm sure everybody with something to sell puts things on the Net saying "This will go viral," and sometimes it does.)

In this particular case, I'm seeing Weird Al links from people I don't expect, and I'd be shocked if they're being compensated.

David Bruggeman

Jul 21, 2014, 4:20:11 PM7/21/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
More on Al, including the rollout strategy for Mandatory Fun, via The Atlantic

David

Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:25 PM

Bob Jersey

Jul 23, 2014, 11:41:27 AM7/23/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

David Bruggeman, in part, to Kevin:
Whatever you may think of the new album, Al is promoting Mandatory Fun in a very impressive fashion.

Enough to make it début at #1 on the Billboard album chart. (link)  Not since a fella I know I've seen some insist as at least part of his inspiration, Allan Sherman, did it in 1963.