Oswalt New 'TV's Frank' on 'MST3K' Reboot

Mark Jeffries

Nov 30, 2015, 5:02:35 PM11/30/15
to TVorNotTV
He's actually playing "TV's Son of TV's Frank," the assistant to Felicia Day as the new Chief Mad, in the still-Kickstarting reboot of the beloved movie riff show:

Jonah Ray is the new Joel/Mike expy and Hampton Yount and Baron Vaughn ("Fairly Legal") are the new Crow and Servo.

Kevin M.

Nov 30, 2015, 5:18:34 PM11/30/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, but who is Gypsy?

I vote for John Hodgman

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

M-D November

Nov 30, 2015, 11:53:40 PM11/30/15
to TVorNotTV
Hodgman would be ideal to play the new Magic Voice.

Kevin M.

Joe Coughlin

Dec 3, 2015, 4:07:32 PM12/3/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
No, I've seen responses, mostly from Trace Beaulieu, answering fans'
questions about it.

And it's tough, while I don't think Joel handled it as best he could,
I do believe him when he says he wants everyone to participate if they
wish. But he couldn't exactly make an informed offer before he knew
the show was for sure coming back.

Joel said yesterday he has now started reaching out to the former
cast. I would imagine some of them will take him up on the offer.
+++++++++++++++
Joe Coughlin
http://www.twitter.com/inturnaround

Dave Sikula

Dec 4, 2015, 4:44:00 AM12/4/15
to TVorNotTV
Speaking for myself, as soon as I heard Oswalt was involved, I rescinded my pledge.

Dave Sikula

Jim Ellwanger

Dec 4, 2015, 10:49:33 AM12/4/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 4, 2015, at 1:43 AM, 'Dave Sikula' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Speaking for myself, as soon as I heard Oswalt was involved, I rescinded my pledge.

Did he do something specific to earn your ire, or is it just a general loathing?

There are two stand-up comedians I’ve seen live who have had me laughing hard enough that my stomach hurt, and they are Paul F. Tompkins and Patton Oswalt.

Steve Timko

Dec 4, 2015, 10:54:34 AM12/4/15
to 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV

I think Patton Oswalt once said something nice about Kristen Wiig.

Sent from TypeMail

Joe Coughlin

Dec 4, 2015, 4:48:36 PM12/4/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I think Patton can be...problematic when it comes to his views on
political correctness, but his stand up is good and his love of film
is unquestioned. He'll be an asset in the writers room.
> --
> --
> ---
> "TVorNotTV" group.
> email to tvornottv+...@googlegroups.com.

Kevin M.

Dec 4, 2015, 5:17:17 PM12/4/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 1:43 AM, 'Dave Sikula' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Speaking for myself, as soon as I heard Oswalt was involved, I rescinded my pledge.

Dave Sikula

I thought he took an otherwise bland character on "Justified" and gave it a life it didn't deserve. I like that he uses social media to openly challenge the click-bait sites like Salon and Buzzfeed. I don't find his comedy all that comedic. I'm much less enthusiastic about the casting of Felicia Day, who is the Zsa Zsa Gabor of the internet -- famous for being famous and not really possessing any real talents.

I'm not opposed to Patton being TV's Frank Jr, but I do question all the new hires and new casting when the originals are all still available. It seems like Joel is only destined to be the face of the kickstarter campaign... that Shout (Shout!) wants to capitalize off his name to reboot the series, not continue it. What made the series pop was the clever writing and the cast performances. It appears all the writers and performers are being recast. When talent left the original series, replacements were found from within... where they had a tremendous talent pool to swim in. That talent pool still exists, but Shout (!) is choosing from the world of internet memes instead. I'm not saying it won't work, and it is probably brilliant for attracting new fans. I will certainly watch it, but I remain skeptical.

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

Mark Jeffries

Dec 4, 2015, 5:42:24 PM12/4/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
And "MSR3K" is a show where everyone sticks to the script.  He'll be OK.

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com