The president's speech tonight will not air live on English language networks

Tom Wolper

Nov 20, 2014, 3:37:06 PM11/20/14
to TV or not TV
Univision and Telemundo will air it with subtitles. It's noted that the White House did not request air time, which is always granted.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/19/media/networks-and-obama-speech/index.html

Bob Jersey

Nov 20, 2014, 4:30:59 PM11/20/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

It's an un-pop speech about his un-pop plans to defy Congress.  Still, stations and networks found Net and digital-sidechannel space for it.

Tom Wolper

Nov 20, 2014, 5:12:20 PM11/20/14
to TV or not TV
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Bob Jersey <bob.in...@juno.com> wrote:

It's an un-pop speech about his un-pop plans to defy Congress.  Still, stations and networks found Net and digital-sidechannel space for it.

Defying Congress? A bipartisan reform bill passed the senate by a wide margin and almost half of the house would vote for it along party lines. This issue has been moving to the top of the headlines for months and it's going to have consequences for a large number of people. I don't see anything about this speech which makes it less worthy than the state of the union speech.

Bob Jersey

Nov 20, 2014, 7:47:54 PM11/20/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

Tom Wolper, to moi:

It's an un-pop speech about his un-pop plans to defy Congress.  Still, stations and networks found Net and digital-sidechannel space for it.

Defying Congress? A bipartisan reform bill passed the senate by a wide margin and almost half of the house would vote for it along party lines. This issue has been moving to the top of the headlines for months and it's going to have consequences for a large number of people. I don't see anything about this speech which makes it less worthy than the state of the union speech.

I suffer from having people around me that only care about the rightie pundits (e.g. Fixed Noise [link]) who contend he will not wait for the bill to be passed, which won't happen till after the 1st, and use his executive-action pen to do something the bill may or may not do.

PGage

Nov 20, 2014, 9:50:33 PM11/20/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Not only, exactly what Tom wrote, but also, even if some of the Fox"news" claims were correct, it would seem to make the speech even more newsworthy (President announces plans to shred the constitution)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

JW

Nov 20, 2014, 10:27:56 PM11/20/14
to tvornottv
PBS had it. And in Pittsburgh, the Hearst station/ABC affiliate carried the speech with occasional graphics saying "Gray's Anatomy will be joined in progress."

M-D November

Nov 20, 2014, 10:41:28 PM11/20/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
WNBC & WCAU (NBC in NY and Philly, respectively) carried the speech with their own lower third, not NBC News.
WNYW (FOX NY) also carried the speech - it looked like FOX's 'network' feed, but didn't stick around to find out.
CBS & ABC affils stuck with normal programming.

Melissa P

Nov 20, 2014, 10:56:34 PM11/20/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The CBS affiliate in DC carried the speech and slid the CBS line-up by 20 minutes.