Robin Williams Emmy Memorial

Joe Hass

Aug 26, 2014, 11:22:19 AM8/26/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Caught it this morning. Crystal's speech was outstanding. Loved the closing reference to Williams's first album (that seemed to be lost on the audience). When they aired the final scene from "Live At The Met" in the highlight reel, where Williams is talking to his kid, I knew instantly what the last lines of the bit (and the album) are ("You afraid?" "Nah. Fuck it." (a callback to a previous bit)). And I watched as the Academy cut the last line, overdubbed steps and tried to make it sentimental. I got as pissed as I possibly could on the quiet car of the train.

You know what, assholes? If a piece doesn't work, you don't fundamentally change the piece to make it work, especially with a legendary piece of comedy like that. Find another piece. Or just figure something else out.

Thank you for reading my vent.

PGage

Aug 26, 2014, 1:26:48 PM8/26/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I have attached links to both Crystal's tribute and the original "Live at the Met" performance (the joke Joe references is at the end of both videos).

It was a difficult choice - in many ways it was the perfect ending for that tribute, but it really only makes sense with the full little kid "fuck it". I thought they were play it out and just bleep it, which would have been a lot better than what they did.

The Emmy's themselves have really become an irrelevant mess. I'm sure I am in the top 5% of the population of non-industry workers who care about the show, and even I had forgotten the show was on last night. When I got home from work the live broadcast was more than an hour in, so I set my DVR to watch the West Coast replay and watched the Giants game (another kind of disaster). I thought Seth Meyers was actually pretty good, and some of the speeches were too, but the choices are either bizarrely idiosyncratic or embarrassingly repetitive. It was nice to have a "Breaking Bad" party, but that too was weirdly disconnected in time, so that it was hard to remember that whole end of BB was actually at the start of the last TV season. They really need to change the rules for that thing and make that shit tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86u0bDE17w#t=247

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

JW

Aug 27, 2014, 10:16:29 PM8/27/14
to tvornottv
> ... and watched the Giants game (another kind of disaster)

I was at that game, and since I didn't have a strong rooting interest found it enjoyable. I had a great angle on Morneau running and Peavy's subsequent balk, which still makes me laugh.

PGage

Aug 27, 2014, 10:18:46 PM8/27/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM, JW <redb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... and watched the Giants game (another kind of disaster)

I was at that game, and since I didn't have a strong rooting interest found it enjoyable. I had a great angle on Morneau running and Peavy's subsequent balk, which still makes me laugh.

I did have a strong rooting interest, and even I laughed at that balk. One can watch a hell of a lot of baseball games and not see a major league pitcher do something like that.

Bob Jersey

Aug 27, 2014, 10:46:47 PM8/27/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

PGage, to JW:

> ... and watched the Giants game (another kind of disaster)

I was at that game, and since I didn't have a strong rooting interest found it enjoyable. I had a great angle on Morneau running and Peavy's subsequent balk, which still makes me laugh.

I did have a strong rooting interest, and even I laughed at that balk. One can watch a hell of a lot of baseball games and not see a major league pitcher do something like that.

The IronPigs - booted from any postseason chance last week - honored two players Tuesday with season awards (link)... Franco (happened to also be his 22nd birthday) went on to hit a grand slam in that night's game with league-leading Syracuse, and pitcher Garcia stopped the Chiefs at the end after they closed the lead to 1...