[TV orNotTV] What We Learned Monday About "Late Show With"

PGage

Oct 6, 2015, 8:59:53 PM10/6/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Yo-Yo Ma should be Colbert's Musical Director...

Steve Timko

Oct 6, 2015, 9:33:56 PM10/6/15
to TV or Not TV
Remember all the great performances he had over the years on
Letterman? Including the Goat Rodeo Sessions performance?
Donz, how many times did Yo-Yo Ma appear on Letterman?

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 5:59 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yo-Yo Ma should be Colbert's Musical Director...
>
> --
> --
> ---
> "TVorNotTV" group.
> email to tvornottv+...@googlegroups.com.

Jon Delfin

Oct 6, 2015, 11:34:50 PM10/6/15
to tvornottv
IMDb lists only one appearance. That can't be right, can it?

David Bruggeman

Oct 7, 2015, 12:23:49 AM10/7/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I'd be happy with Yo-Yo Ma handling music for any late night program.  With the exception of 8H, any of the current late night bands can really play, but we rarely get a chance to see them do anything.

I also like the tweaks the band has made over the last 10 programs or so.  Boosting the tempo on the opening credits music helps.  So does de-emphasizing the melodica and increasing the piano.
David

Oct 7, 2015, 12:48:18 AM10/7/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 9:23 PM, 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I also like the tweaks the band has made over the last 10 programs or so.  Boosting the tempo on the opening credits music helps.  So does de-emphasizing the melodica and increasing the piano.

I do agree with this. I like the basic structure of how the show begins - the short introduction, the short monologue, the teasing of the theme, the one last joke, the fabulous actual opening, then more jokes at the desk. All of that is great, and if Batiste can keep lowering his footprint during it, all the better. I am not saying he has to disappear, but allow some kind of real chemistry to develop between him and Stephen.

Still - my point was not the obvious one that Ma is a musical genius, but that he is pretty funny, and already has a great chemistry with Colbert. He has a natural hook (or maybe a couple) for making fun of him, and he takes it and uses it well.

donz5

Oct 7, 2015, 10:27:56 AM10/7/15
to TVorNotTV
Three times:
September 20, 1994: performed a Bach Gigue and Gershwin's Prelude
January 15, 1997, with Edgar Meyer and Mark O'Connor: performed Appalachian Waltz (or The Green Groves of Erin/The Flowers of Red Hill)
June 24, 2002, with The Silk Road Ensemble: performed Little Blue Flower